*** CAPTAIN MARVEL ***

94,452 Views | 770 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by schmendeler
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Captain Marvel will sacrifice herself to save the rest of the world.

And nothing of value was lost that day.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Liquid Wrench
Pretty much all they had to say was "you have to see this before Endgame."
Liquid Wrench
Guy who was at the shareholders meeting is reporting on clips he saw:

Twitter link

More at his tweeter if you want to go look.

*decided to link instead of imbedding since it could be deemed slightly spoilerish.
Fenrir
That's a little disconcerting.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Urban Ag said:

I don't think her and Stark are going to get along well at all.

Thor will be accused of mansplaining everything.

And after about five minutes of her Natasha gonna be all "where'd this b**** come from?" Cap will hold a finger up and respond "language Nat, language".

CA walks in - "Hey who are you?"
CM: "I'm Captain Marvel"
CA: "Captain Marvel???...where's Marvel?"
CM: "No it's not a place it's well...hard to explain".
Banner: "Marvel ...like she's a marvel get it"
CA: "Ok sure I guess a captain of a feeling, but you were a captain right?"
CM: "Ugh, I was an air force captain in a previous life but I don't remember any of that""
CA: "But you....retained the title?"
Banner: "You better just drop it"
CA: "I'm just trying to make sure she's not some stolen valor nutjob"
CM "Look pal I could end you with one Cosmic blast"
Rhodes: "that would have been useful...."
Natasha: "Yeah where the F have you been while we've been fighting ......EVERYONE"
Banner "Oh boy here we go"
<ZAP!!!!> she kills them all.

end scene

Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Post-credits scene of CM brought the house down.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
i have no idea about the thing you're asking. It shows up more times than Alec Baldwin on SNL. I fell into some free tix last night and enjoyed the film.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
AgMarauder04
AG
C@LAg said:

MuckRaker96 said:

Post-credits scene of CM brought the house down.
re: the second post-credit scene:

Does that not entirely violate established story - didn't Stark's father find the Tessaract in the Arctic and hand over to SHIELD

Cat is a sneaky SOB....like all cats. Could also be an alien that somehow stole it from shield?
redline248
AG
I had to stop watching that, bc I want to try and enjoy Captain Marvel.
AgfromHOU
AG
So what if Captain Marvel is a powerful woman? What are you going to do when RiRi Williams shows up as Ironheart after Stark retires? It's okay for a woman to be the most powerful character in Marvel's cinematic universe. She shoots freakin energy beams and can absorb energy and can fly. NONE of those powers are new to her character, so it's not like they're just randomly making her powerful for no reason to appeal to women. Marvel hasn't come this far to just throw her in there to blast Thanos into next week.

Why wouldn't they market her as a woman superhero, since that's who she is? And especially after how successful Wonder Woman was and the sequel will be?

Sure, disagree with Brie Larson's off screen tactics, but sheesh.

Never thought I would be defending Marvel's Captain Marvel.

I want my daughter to be able to enjoy these movies as much as I do, and this is the doorway to that.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
AliasMan02
AG
The ceaseless "wahman" stuff makes you sound like a total psycho.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
redline248
AG
The marketing for every female character in comics has always been 100% sex-based, considering how they are drawn

C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
TCTTS
AG
C@LAg said:

because "woman power" as a marketing conceit is ****ing ridiculous and should be mocked.

Why? I genuinely do not understand your reasoning. If anything, you sound like a ranting lunatic instead of calmly and rationally explaining your reasoning.

I agree that things like the all-female Ghostbusters remake are ridiculous. Turning an already-established brand into something "female" comes across as cheap to me, and feels like it's giving women scraps instead of something to call their own and build upon.

But a female-led superhero movie with a female empowerment theme? Why on earth is that "******* ridiculous" and something that "should that be mocked"???
TCTTS
AG
Don't get me wrong. Larson is even starting to rub me wrong in her public appearances/interviews. This isn't about her, though. Take her out of the equation and put, say, Emily Blunt in the role (someone I assume we all like). Why is giving girls and young women someone to identify with and aspire to in the superhero realm - and marketing it as such - so annoying and seemingly even threatening to some of you?
AgfromHOU
AG
Why would they need to market ***** power for male superheroes? Most of them are super macho anyways.

This isn't Earth-616, or even Earth-1616. The power makeups of each character are different than the comics. It will be okay that Captain Marvel will be more powerful than Thor. That does NOT cheapen Thor at all.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
TCTTS
AG
So... simply being a woman isn't enough? She has to shoot lasers out of her vagina or something to meet your arbitrary criteria?
GiveEmHellBill
AG
T-minus 2 hours until I see this movie.

After a few days, I seriously hope we can stop the pointless b*tching about the marketing and whatever and actually discuss the f-ing movie.

This thread just makes me sad right now.

As of right now, no one here has seen this movie, and we're already having people here wishing for her character's death and complaining about her role in Endgame (which is still seven weeks away). That is f-ed up.
veryfuller
Staff
AG
Also, if they had linked her powers to her being a woman....everyone would have freaked out about that......

I see no difference in the marketing for Captain Marvel and Wonder Woman, just that Brie Larson is more of an outspoken feminist.
Fenrir
I would argue that acting like girl power is still a meaningful motive for creating a character is about 30 years antiquated.

Good female characters are not as uncommon as some would have the rest believe. I would argue that when the messaging about a show/movie/character becomes more about some idnenity politics marker as opposed to their character arc then they are less likely to be a good character.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Fenrir said:

I would argue that acting like girl power is still a meaningful motive for creating a character is about 30 years antiquated.

Good female characters are not as uncommon as some would have the rest believe. I would argue that when the messaging about a show/movie/character becomes more about some idnenity politics marker as opposed to their character arc then they are less likely to be a good character.

This.
wangus12
AG
TCTTS said:

Don't get me wrong. Larson is even starting to rub me wrong in her public appearances/interviews. This isn't about her, though. Take her out of the equation and put, say, Emily Blunt in the role (someone I assume we all like). Why is giving girls and young women someone to identify with and aspire to in the superhero realm - and marketing it as such - so annoying and seemingly even threatening to some of you?
We all all know who it should have been. Someone who has proven multiple times that she is a good actress and looks amazing in tights.

And she can do a superhero landing

C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
RikkiTikkaTagem
AG
TCTTS said:

So... simply being a woman isn't enough? She has to shoot lasers out of her vagina or something to meet your arbitrary criteria?

That sounds much more effective than a rape whistle
TCTTS
AG
I would agree with that. But on the same token, I honestly haven't even seen the "girl power" marketing angle with this movie at all. Maybe I've just missed it, though, as I haven't been watching a ton of TV lately.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
jabberwalkie09
AG
TCTTS said:

I would agree with that. But on the same token, I honestly haven't even seen the "girl power" marketing angle with this movie at all. Maybe I've just missed it, though, as I haven't been watching a ton of TV lately.

The whole "Her" "Hero" from the first trailer didn't give that away?
Fenrir
Brie said it is a feminist movie, which is going to make a pretty obvious link in people's minds. The director tried to walk it back a bit iirc, though I dont think it got as much traction as Brie's comments. I haven't personally seen anything else. I don't follow late night shows or shows like Entertainment Tonight either though.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.