*** CAPTAIN MARVEL ***

94,500 Views | 770 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by schmendeler
jabberwalkie09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Here's a review from the AV Club. If desired to remove, let me know.

https://film.avclub.com/the-dream-of-the-90s-is-alive-in-the-underwhelming-capt-1833044950

Reads a bit like what was expected IMO.
TCTTS
AG
wangus12
AG
TCTTS said:

For what its worth, Avengers Infinity War only has a metascore of 68.
TCTTS
AG
I was one of the most vocal in defending Larson's comments on wanting reviews from a more diverse set of critics, but here's the downside in making that request: make a dull movie and those critics will skewer you just the same, regardless of gender. In fact, quite a few of the negative-ish reviews I'm seeing are from women...

Bruce Almighty
AG
Metacritic scores are always lower than RT scores.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
As long as it doesn't have a remake of "Africa" by Pitbull in it, it will be the best superhero movie of the past 6 months.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I guess we're not counting Into The Spiderverse, huh?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
From that review:

Quote:

I spent over two hours with Captain Marvel/Carol Danvers and I still have no idea what her personality is.
Because there isn't one? Pretty much the same feeling I've gotten from every single trailer and spot thus far.
TCTTS
AG
Yep.
wangus12
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

From that review:

Quote:

I spent over two hours with Captain Marvel/Carol Danvers and I still have no idea what her personality is.
Because there isn't one? Pretty much the same feeling I've gotten from every single trailer and spot thus far.
But, but she has amnesia. That was never going to end well
AgfromHOU
AG
Oh look, a DC jab..
AgfromHOU
AG
I hope that the space battle will be awesome. Has there been a superhero movie with a battle in actual space and not on a planet?

The closest I can think of is Guardians 2, but that was more of an escape scene from the gold people
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Green Lantern?

I think.
AgfromHOU
AG
Most of that happened on Earth, though. I guess I'm more talking about the climax battle at the end of the movies.
Farmer1906
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Green Lantern?

I think.

I'll have to take your word on that.
Fenrir
Space tends to be fairly limiting to super hero stories. Most cannot survive in space and so it becomes more sci-fi than super hero.
Farmer1906
AG
wangus12 said:

TCTTS said:

That's way off. IW is one of the best in the entire MCU.
AgfromHOU
AG
Yeah I figured, that's why I asked the question. Aquaman showing underwater battles, and Captain Marvel showing space battles, it's a good time to be a superhero fan. Now that they've shown off the extended universe and interconnected storylines, I like that they're still trying to do new things.
AliasMan02
AG
Farmer1906 said:

wangus12 said:

TCTTS said:

That's way off. IW is one of the best in the entire MCU.

I think we pretty much all agree, but this is a good example of how we often forget the initial reaction. A LOT of people were mad about how IW ended. People said they felt cheated because 10 years had led to that abrupt end. Others said that they didn't go see superhero movies to have to endure so dark and ending. Others felt it was cheap because deaths would be undone in the sequel. And of course there were the "not true to the comics" voices, as always.

I think the core Marvel fans were blown away to the highest degree and across as wide a population as possible, but that feeling was hardly universal. Over time the view as a masterpiece has won out, though.
Fenrir
I don't recall it ever really being poorly received by fans at any point, just got some poor scores from critics for whatever reasons.
TCTTS
AG
I'm a fan and did NOT like the ending on first viewing. Now, I love it. Took me a while to come around, though. But there was a decent amount of backlash from those of us who felt it was a cheap ending that will ultimately be undone. I remember seeing quite a few similar reactions on Twitter.
AliasMan02
AG
np

better for the other thread
Fenrir
I guess. It seems clear to me that someone is going to pay the ultimate price in the end.

And we knew a second part was going to happen to resolve it all. So there was going to have to be some form of cliffhanger to act as the reason for the conclusion. I loved it and was happy they had the balls to pull off something that was not cliched super hero movie.
Bruce Almighty
AG
The Infinity War ending is great now, but End Game will either cheapen it or enhance it. I feel there needs to be tragedy, otherwise it's to nice and neat.
Fenrir
I mean...they aren't going to keep the full cast of heroes going forever. It's too bloated. Somebody will pay the price to win the day. That's the lesson they learned in IW. "We don't trade lives" cost them half of the universe.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
I expect it to be Cap.
Farmer1906
AG
Falcon & Bucky have a series.

I believe Black Widow is a prequel.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
bangobango
AG
C@LAg said:

Look at the list:
Cap - most likely, as they have ready replacements for the character as well; and would be one fo the two most likely to have an emotional impact.
Stark - second most likely, but doubtful; too popular, hard to replace; he can easily retire
Hulk - not dead, hard to kill; can continue with Hulk even if Ruffalo leaves
Hawkeye - could kill, but would be a dick move given he has family and kids; I see him more likely walking away
Widow - we know lives, getting her own series. They would not do a series for a dead character at this point.
Thor - a god, not likely, still has to rule his people

Doc Strange - we know he has a sequel
Black panther - we know he has a sequel
Spider-Man - we know he has a sequel

Vision/Scarlet Witch - we know they have a series

Guardians - we know they have a sequel, hard to think they would keep all of them dead, but Gamora would be the most likely, although very doubtful due to her popularity and love relationship with Starlord. Could keep Drax dead as his storyline is done with the defeat of Thanos; Groot - who cares one way or the other

Falcon, Bucky, Iron Machine - I am meh on all there of these

Ant Man - possible, but would not have a huge emotional impact; also likely sequel

So options, in my order:
Cap
Stark
Drax
Gamora

Saw a suggestion somewhere that the next Guardians could be them going to try to rescue Gamora from whatever realm she's banished to now.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
FL_Ag1998
AG
I sincerely hope that Gamora doesn't return and stays dead. Having died pre-snap, bringing her back would lessen the impact of the movie drastically. And I've always thought she was the weakest character in the gotg group (the film universe).
FTAG 2000
AG
The fact that Larsen, her fanboys, and Disney allies all continue to frame anyone who doesn't like this movie as an angry white male tells me it sucks and they've gone lefty defense of the movie.

Reminds me a lot of the Hollywood excuses for when the Oscars, Emmys, etc ratings tank.

IronRed13
AG
I've had tickets for a while because i care about the larger universe, but this nails how I feel about the controversy around this movie

The Collective
AG
It is worrisome how Disney and its paid PR arm go after detractors with the same drivel each time. It's almost like Larson anticipated the "meh" opinion of this movie and started the controversy on purpose.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.