*** CAPTAIN MARVEL ***

94,007 Views | 770 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by schmendeler
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Release Date: March 9, 2019

TCTTS
AG
Saw a couple of requests in the MCU thread for an official Captain Marvel thread. I don't know the answers to any of these questions, so I figured I'd open the floor...

Quote:

Is it too soon to start a Captain Marvel thread? I don't know much about her beyond friends with Logan and Rogue steals her superman powers.

Why is she SO powerful and more powerful than other Kree?
Quote:

I'd also like to get some background on what makes her so strong. Even trying to get some background on Wikipedia today proved tedious and confusing.

Apparently there have been lots of captain marvels, it's a title bestowed upon someone. Carol Danvers is this version of CM and she was part of a nuclear explosion or some such that gave her superpowers.
phatpat21
Liquid Wrench

Quote:

Even trying to get some background on Wikipedia today proved tedious and confusing.
It's a Marvel Comics character created in the 70's, so yes that it is accurate. The movies have been successful by picking one version or one storyline and repacking it for simple, linear plots. So even people who know their comic book history don't know what the movie's going to do until they release information. All I can tell from the one trailer I've watched is that we're probably gonna see some cool alien shape-shifting.
toucan82
Shazam!!!
Duncan Idaho
Comic book question:
How does the Muslim Ms. Marvel play into this?

There was a comic titled Ms Marvel on prime reader, so I downloaded it last week. It was about some Muslim teenage girl whose hands get really big and she fights crime. Kind of like a halla version of kick ass. It referenced Capt Marvel. But is the a replacement for her like a new doctor? Or something else?
Gigem314
AG
I definitely agree with the sentiment that her dialogue comes off as stiff in the previews, and she does seem ridiculously powerful. But Marvel has yet to make a 'bad' MCU film yet, so I'm going into this one with an open mind.

Even if the storyline isn't the greatest, I'd expect it to at least have some interesting characters like Dr. Strange, Ant-Man, the early Thor movies, and Black Panther. Not to mention cool visuals. The 90's nostalgia will give it some points too.

Honestly, I'm seeing this for Nick Fury alone. It's great to see Samuel L. Jackson back, and we get back story on Fury's past (and hopefully his eye). And you know there will be many one-liners.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Damn that was young Dumbledore. He is going to mess some people up
rhutton125
AG
Her 70s origin, as I recall, is that some Kree device explodes near her and Mar-Vell, the original Captain Marvel, and her DNA mixes with his. So she gets all the superpowers that he had. Flight, beams, etc. She initially goes by Ms. Marvel. So she's one of the earliest examples of "let's make a female version."

That said, she's clearly come into her own. She changed costumes and names a few times over the decades, eventually taking on the Captain Marvel mantle.

The new muslim Ms. Marvel is an Inhuman (mutant, basically) who was inspired by her and took on the name. No formal connection beyond that, as far as powers or origin.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
rhutton125
AG
Oh yeah! I think someone on the other thread asked about Rogue.

Rogue (of the X-Men) was initially a villain of sorts, raised and manipulated by Mystique. As I recall, she once attempted to absorb Ms./Captain Marvel's powers and ended up holding on so long that Marvel ended up in a coma. Rogue ended up permanently absorbing her powers of flight and strength.

Theoretically, we may get this version of Rogue down the road in the MCU - the tough, tortured, charming and powerful version of Rogue, instead of the mousy teenaged Anna Paquin version from the 2000-2006 films.
Duncan Idaho
Thanks. It was an enjoyable enough read on the plane just wasn't twhere it fit in
TajMaballer
AG
Yeah, I'm hoping with Kelly Thompson (Hawkeye, Mr. and Mrs. X, West Coast Avengers, and one of the writers on Uncanny X-Men) Carol Danvers goes through a renaissance in the comics and is more enjoyable. Thompson starts her run next month, so hoping for the best.
TajMaballer
AG
rhutton125 said:

Theoretically, we may get this version of Rogue down the road in the MCU - the tough, tortured, charming and powerful version of Rogue, instead of the mousy teenaged Anna Paquin version from the 2000-2006 films.

Rogue and Gambit were my two favorites growing up. They haven't translated well to screen.... yet.

Kitsch wasn't necessarily a bad Gambit. That movie was just bad. My favorite bad moment is when at the end, Wolverine has amnesia from that bullet, Gambit comes back to get Wolverine in the plane. Wolverine asks him who he is and Gambit, not saying anything and just nodding, walks away. Never to be seen again.

What I'm trying to say is that I can't wait for Rogue and Gambit to be on the big screen, done properly. Maybe in Captain Marvel 2 if we have introduced Mutants at that point, we get Rogue!
rhutton125
AG
Holy cow. You raise a good point! Obviously most of the X-Men are predominately connected to the X-Men, but there's enough crossover and history there that you could introduce certain movies in other films and then stitch them into a "main" X-Men movie later.

For example:
- Rogue was introduced in an Avengers comic as a villain, plus the aforementioned Captain Marvel connection
- Wolverine first appeared as a Hulk villain (unlikely since Hulk films are in a weird spot)
- Beast joined the Avengers for several years, and then led an iteration of the Defenders for several more
- Storm has a brief history with Black Panther
- Iceman and Angel briefly teamed with Black Widow, Hercules and Ghost Rider in a group called the Champions

Rogue is probably the only semi-realistic one here, since usually X-Men join other properties, rather than outside characters joining the X-Men. But I wouldn't have expected Spider-Man and Black Panther to be introduced in a Captain America team-up film, either, so you could easily introduce a mutant who later joins an ensemble film and is somewhat fleshed out.
bearamedic99
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

Comic book question:
How does the Muslim Ms. Marvel play into this?

There was a comic titled Ms Marvel on prime reader, so I downloaded it last week. It was about some Muslim teenage girl whose hands get really big and she fights crime. Kind of like a halla version of kick ass. It referenced Capt Marvel. But is the a replacement for her like a new doctor? Or something else?

Ms Marvel is an Inhuman recent character and different than Carol Danvers/Cap Marvel
AMW2010
AG
Flerken... that is all lol
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Malachi Constant
AG
They're selling me a little more on Brie Larson with that short during the national championship game...
wangus12
AG
Yep. Much more vibrant personality there
The Collective
AG
All I can think of is that damn kid calling it "room" when I see her.
AggieLitigator
I'm completely sold on this movie! The new clips tonight look great and movie looks fun.
wangus12
AG
Yeah buddy!
YellowPot_97
AG
I like that they are so trying to emphasize "girl power" that they have a zoomed in shot of her crotch at 1:11.
FaceMask
YellowPot_97 said:

I like that they are so trying to emphasize "girl power" that they have a zoomed in shot of her crotch at 1:11.

How else do you think they keep us defeated?
wangus12
AG
Got my tickets. 915 at Alamo Drafthouse. All the good 7pm seats were gone
TCTTS
AG

IJones23
What's was the song from the beginning of the clip? I seem to remember that from my youth.
AgMarauder04
AG
I'm in.
Flashdiaz
AG
Elastica - connection
YellowPot_97
AG
IJones23 said:

What's was the song from the beginning of the clip? I seem to remember that from my youth.

AgfromHOU
AG
That trailer was better a lot better than the others, but still kinda meh to me
IJones23
Gracias!
fig96
AG
I was going to see it no matter what, but definitely feeling the energy of the new trailer more.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.