*** CAPTAIN MARVEL ***

94,467 Views | 770 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by schmendeler
Not a Bot
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I just got out of the theater. I liked this movie for the most part. Everyone is going to have their gripes about something here or something there, but I thought overall it was entertaining.

The 2nd half of the movie had me hooked. The scene where she fought and defeated the AI was very well done. Call me a dork, but I actually shed a tear there as they showed her getting up over and over again. I had a flashback of my own and it unexpectedly hit me in the feels.

My only real gripe was that it seemed dark, as in literally the picture wasn't bright enough. I assume it was the theater.

The only real issue I had with the script itself was that it was kind of odd that her friend didn't seem shocked to see her alive. Even just a close up shot of her face as she looked up to see her, give a startled look and drop a wrench or something. Instead it was like, "oh, you're back."

I liked the inclusion of Monica - in the comics Monica becomes Captain Marvel in an alternate timeline/storyline.
Not a Bot
AG
I almost completely forgot about Stan rehearsing his lines for Mallrats. That was by far my favorite moment in the movie. Kevin Smith had to have been completely floored when he found out this was the cameo they went with.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Given that he cries at everything, I picture him literally sobbing like a baby, loudly.
Not a Bot
AG
AgLaw
AG
Really liked it. Don't get caught up in the political bull**** surrounding its release. It's a fun Marvel movie.
DayAg!
S
I just love all the expert movie critics in here. Friend of mine told me not to go see a movie one time because he said it wasnt very good. Well I went anyway and thoroughly enjoyed it. These kind of things are relative to an individuals taste. I thought CM was great, But I probably watch movies with different criteria than most folks. I just find it amusing that so many people give it bad reviews, but then again, they are entitled to their opinion too. I just like sci-fi good or bad. It's all entertaining to some degree.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
That's great.

I can't help but wonder how much harder it would've hit if he didn't know about it beforehand.
bangobango
AG
GiveEmHellBill said:

TCTTS said:

bangobango said:

I'll bet money right now it doesn't hit $130 million. Can't believe some of you eat that crap up still.

We will not see that jackass on this thread again.....
Look four posts up from yours.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
redline248
AG
Why are some Kree not blue?
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
72% drop on Monday. Pretty big. Might be a bit frontloaded.

For comparison, Rogue One opened almost identically and the Monday drop was 53%.

Wonder Woman, which had the "benefit" of a smaller opening weekend, dropped 60%.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
hurleyag
AG
Cactus Jack said:

I just got out of the theater. I liked this movie for the most part. Everyone is going to have their gripes about something here or something there, but I thought overall it was entertaining.

The 2nd half of the movie had me hooked. The scene where she fought and defeated the AI was very well done. Call me a dork, but I actually shed a tear there as they showed her getting up over and over again. I had a flashback of my own and it unexpectedly hit me in the feels.

My only real gripe was that it seemed dark, as in literally the picture wasn't bright enough. I assume it was the theater.

The only real issue I had with the script itself was that it was kind of odd that her friend didn't seem shocked to see her alive. Even just a close up shot of her face as she looked up to see her, give a startled look and drop a wrench or something. Instead it was like, "oh, you're back."

I liked the inclusion of Monica - in the comics Monica becomes Captain Marvel in an alternate timeline/storyline.

She had received a transmission from Danvers right after the crash indicating that she had survived
texasaggie04
AG
Just saw it this morning. I enjoyed it overall and I think I would have enjoyed it even more if I hadn't read this thread the last few weeks. I feel like I was looking for things not to enjoy in the movie, and it creates a self-fulfilling prophecy. If anybody is on the fence, I encourage you to go see it.

I'm not going to use spoiler tags because sounds like we're lifting that embargo.

Loved when the security guy pointed her to the Radio Shack.

I was ok with Fury getting his eye scratched out. It just adds to his aura of mystery, as evidenced by the scene at the end with Coulson.

I also liked the various things they put in that help tie some of the universe together. For example, naming it the Avengers Initiative.

As for complaints about not using the pager until now, I see where that's coming from. I guess one could argue that early in the movie Fury called for backup when he thought it was an emergency (at Pegasus), and it didn't work out as he intended. That's when Fury and CM had the discussion about how Coulson followed his gut (to let them go) instead of the chain of command. Later CM gave Fury back the pager and made it clear that it was "only for emergencies." Fury relied on the Avengers after that, until the one time he felt it necessary to use the pager.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
How does him losing his eye to a cat add to his aura of mystery?

Literally any other way would've been better, but then went with the joke instead.
texasaggie04
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Literally any other way would've been better, but then went with the joke instead.

It humanizes him, to me. He's more than just a military spy badass. He's a regular guy who got attached to a cat. And it's a mystery because people think it was something more than it was. Like Coulson said, others are spreading rumors that it was burned out by the Kree because he wouldn't turn over the Tesseract.
Fightin TX Aggie
AG
Fury put together the Avengers and relied on them because he couldn't just count on Danvers popping back in just because she said so in the 90s.

"Here's my number, call me" doesn't mean you're actually going to get that date.
fig96
AG
Review I watched had some interesting points.

In Avengers, Black Widow talks about how they weren't prepared for this, had no idea what was out there...why hasn't Fury at least let them know about some of this stuff?
TajMaballer
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

For comparison, Rogue One opened almost identically and the Monday drop was 53%.

Wonder Woman, which had the "benefit" of a smaller opening weekend, dropped 60%.

Rogue One benefitted from the holidays and Wonder Woman was a summer movie. Kinda different than a March opening. Third biggest March Monday behind Batman v Superman and Beauty and the Beast.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Took my daughter this morning. My initial reaction is a bit more than "meh" but my daughter was raving over how much she loved it and was now really wanting to see End Game, as in, NOW.

I'm going to use spoiler tags because I'm sure there are others here who have not yet seen it.

The audience that we watched it with didn't seem to think the entire falling into a Blockbuster Video store, blowing away Arnold Schwarzenegger from True Lies to be funny at all. I thought that was hilarious. Perhaps an older crowd who actually knows what Blockbuster was might?

Some one earlier mentioned a call-back to Independence Day with the canyon chase. I had the same vibe, but I don't believe any of that footage was re-used for CM.

Was calling the cat "Goose" supposed to be a Top Gun reference?

I loved the end credit sequence where the Avengers are testing the pager, and Black Widow says she wants to know who is on the other end of that transmission, turns around, and there's CM saying "Where's Fury?"

What worked for me:

Rambeau telling Danvers who Danvers is. That scene seemed to have some real emotion in a movie that was largely emotionless.

The cat. Knowing absolutely nothing about the characters from the comics, I just knew that wasn't really a cat.

Nick Fury. I'm consistently amazed at Marvel's ability to make well-known actors look 20+ years younger, as they have done with Kurt Russell, Michael Douglas, and Michelle Pfeiffer, and shaving the pounds and mass off Chris Evans to make him look like a scrawny pipsqueak.

[/sp]The internet cafe scene with the web page that looked right out of 1996, and the reference to a dial-up connection.[/sp]

Jude Law to actually be a villain

What didn't work so well:

Annette Bening. She seemed rather bland in this.

CM is shown earlier in the movie to have a Starlord-like gizmo that covers her head and allow her to breath in space. Okay. So when she figures out her powers and flies up into space, there she is sans head covering. Can she suddenly breath in space? I'm guessing so but just seemed to come out of nowhere after they had so many shots of her in space with the covering.

Overall, the movie was entertaining (but then, I'd say there are no MCU movies that are not entertaining). Brie Larson was better than what I expected, but she is still rather a wooden plank on screen for the most part. I'd rank this movie in the bottom half of the MCU. Liked it better than Iron Man 3, Thor Dark World, and The Incredible Hulk, probably liked it about as much as Black Panther and Iron Man 2, probalby Doctor Strange as well.

So does Brie Larson give me permission to have these thoughts on her movie?
wangus12
AG
Quote:

Was calling the cat "Goose" supposed to be a Top Gun reference?
Yes. In the comics, the cat is named Chewie
Liquid Wrench

Quote:

Some one earlier mentioned a call-back to Independence Day with the canyon chase. I had the same vibe, but I don't believe any of that footage was re-used for CM.
Maybe someone w/ better google skills can find it because I'm having no luck right now, but I saw something on another board about that canyon being used for other movies, but I think it was new footage.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Social Media Influencer said:

Quote:

Maybe someone w/ better google skills can find it because I'm having no luck right now, but I saw something on another board about that canyon being used for other movies, but I think it was new footage.
I seem to remember seeing a making-of on ID4, probably my old laser disc copy, that showed the entire canyon to be a miniature, albeit a really large-scale miniature.
Urban Ag
AG
TajMaballer said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Rogue One benefitted from the holidays and Wonder Woman was a summer movie. Kinda different than a March opening. Third biggest March Monday behind Batman v Superman and Beauty and the Beast.
A lot of the country is on spring break this week. A lot more next week. Parents are gouging their eyes out trying to find things for the kids to do and the teens have a week of screw off time.
Urban Ag
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Could have saved it with an end credits scene of Fury at the doctor getting his eye checked out and the doc taking the bandage off, wincing, and Fury saying "I know, hurts like hell, that was one badass pvssy". Only the scene cuts right when he starts to make the "puh" sound.
bthotugigem05
AG
Pretty sure that canyon is the Star Wars Canyon, used by many movies and still used in training by fighter pilots today.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I was just trying to find the most relevant comparisons.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG

This might have been the funniest thing in the movie...

"what's it doing"......"buffering"

TCTTS
AG
Did Carol have her memory back by the end of the movie? It seemed like it, but I couldn't tell for sure.
redline248
AG
She definitely remembered some things. Like calling the girl lieutenant trouble. Plus, part of her beating the AI was remembering how she never quit after all the times she crashed/fell.

Unclear the extent of what she remembers. Like does she remember all the dudes she blew to get the nickname?
AgfromHOU
AG
Just got back home from seeing this movie. Overall, I thought it was really good. It was a little too anticlimactic, but the twist was good. Probably my second or third favorite Marvel origin movie behind Iron Man and Guardians.

To the poster a few pages back that said it was better than Wonder Woman: while I would say I agree, they are just too different of movies to really compare. One is a historical fiction movie, while the other is full on sci-fi. The climax battle, the twist in Captain Marvel, and special effects were done better, but I would say the action and overall story in Wonder Woman was better. I love history, but sci-fi movies do more for me, and I think that's why I would say it's a little better than Wonder Woman.

None of the music felt out of place to me, like with Aquaman.

It'll be interesting moving forward because she is obviously too powerful to be with the Earthly Avengers, and too human to be part of the Guardians.
Part of me is hoping that the sequels go the Wonder Woman route and show what she's been doing this whole time.

I really appreciated them not leaning too heavily into humor like Ragnarok or Civil War.

Here's my (useless) Marvel movie ranking:

1. Winter Soldier
2. Iron Man
3. Infinity War
4. Guardians of the Galaxy
5. The Avengers
6. Captain Marvel
Madmarttigan
AG
I would imagine that the chip dampening her might have also played into her memory issues. Removing that might have helped.
Formerly tv1113
redline248
AG
Question for the comic readers: Skrulls as the innocent race just trying to survive was a surprise, right?
jabberwalkie09
AG
I was intrigued all the way up to getting to Maria's place. After that I think it felt flat.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.