*** CAPTAIN MARVEL ***

94,433 Views | 770 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by schmendeler
veryfuller
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
AG
I also agree that it make ZERO sense that Fury didn't page her before the end of Infinity War. Even being charitable to this plot point.....they launched a nuke at NYC in Avengers to stop an alien invasion brought about by the VERY THING THAT GAVE CAPTAIN MARVEL HER POWERS!!!! Sure...clearly there is some sort of a delay....and MAYBE Fury was trying to put complete trust in his new team....but...come on...
DTP02
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

bangobango said:

C@LAg said:

bangobango said:

I'll bet money right now it doesn't hit $130 million. Can't believe some of you eat that crap up still.
possible, but it is reportedly earning a $20-24MM Thursday night showing total, has a lot of sell outs for the weekend, and no real competition in cinemas or elsewhere

Even with mediocre word of mouth $120-130MM is very reasonable.

I think it will do it.

There are a bunch of people that would see a dog pooping on a loop if it had marvel or starvwars or some other franchise name attached to it. You can see a lot of them on this thread. It may have a strong Thursday premier, but it will tank from here on out.
Do you have a release date for Star Wars: Poop Loop because I want to buy advanced tickets.

There's way too much CGI in this one. Should have gone with the practical effects like the original.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Flashdiaz said:

before this thread gets too spoilery...

is it necessary to watch this one before End Game or can one get the gist of Capt. Marvel's role without seeing the standalone movie?
Absolutely un-needed. You could watch the first post-credits scene on Youtube and be good to go, and even then, you'll be fine without it.
GiveEmHellBill
AG

nm

Couldn't get the spoiler tags to work right.
Liquid Wrench
*nm. Guess I can't get spoiler tags to work either.
jabberwalkie09
AG
testing tags

Nothing spoilerish, haven't seen the movie yet.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Think she paid the bar owner for destroying his jukebox for no good reason?

Pretty dick move.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Ag Since 83 said:

Pros:

2. Best Stan Lee cameo yet as himself?

Well, he is listed on the imdb page as Stan Lee. This is the first time I think that he's listed as that.
DFWag17
AG
I dont have a problem with that at all. She explained the pager only works if she's 2-3 galaxies away. Maybe in the first two avengers, she was further away than that, and he tried to page her, and it wouldn't go through.

Some of that could be explained in End Game.
Liquid Wrench
If you want to flip back a page or two to the twitter link I posted, there's an Endgame spoiler in which the surviving Avengers ask her where she was and she gives a quick answer to the effect that there are other galaxies that need help too
AgMarauder04
AG
Maybe the pager was kept on his eye patch side so he couldn't find it.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
36% audience score on RT.

Wow.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Wow.

What if I told you that earlier today it was 34% with ~58.5k reviews, as opposed to the current 36% ~4.5k?
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
jabberwalkie09 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Wow.

What if I told you that earlier today it was 34% with ~58.5k reviews, as opposed to the current 36% ~4.5k?

purging...and it's not helping.
jabberwalkie09
AG
And falling.

MBAR
AG
imagine being so pathetic that you have to brigade a movie review site in order to make people think that something is bad
Gangnam Style
AG
What the hell is the purpose of brigading the RT scores? Like seriously.
The Collective
AG
RT might as well do away with audience score.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
MBAR said:

imagine being so pathetic that you have to brigade a movie review site in order to make people think that something is bad
Seriously, it's f-ing pathetic and not even worth bringing onto this discussion thread.

The movie premiered last night and, according to RT's score, EVER SINGLE PERSON who saw it last night had to whip out their smartphones and give a thumbs down to this movie. It's ridiculous.

It's the equivalent of saying "Everyone hates Trump!!! How do I know? Because my Facebook feed is full of Trump hate."
Bruce Almighty
AG
Yea, I'm guessing most of those reviews are fake. Audience reviews have become worthless now.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
C@LAg said:

Bruce Almighty said:

Yea, I'm guessing most of those reviews are fake. Audience reviews have become worthless now.

They have always been worthless. You're just now realizing it. It's a popularity contest, one way or the other.

^THIS

I've never looked at an audience score for my determination of seeing something. Even the "real" reviewers rating I take with a grain of salt. RT rating is only a very high level barometer for me.... if it's below 25% it's a big red flag to stay away. But I've liked movies with 50% reviewer rating and I've hated movies with 90% reviewer ratings. It's basically a combination of stars/director 20%, my interest in the topic or genre 35%, word of mouth 25%, and the RT and/or IMDB scores maybe 20%. Actual audience score is 0% of a factor for me. And the more of a lightning rod the subject, topic, politics, stars are the less I'm likely to see it anyway but definitely the less likely I am to trust audience reviews and even real reviews. Then it's almost entirely word of mouth and interest in the subject.
Liquid Wrench
Gangnam Style said:

What the hell is the purpose of brigading the RT scores? Like seriously.
Unless you have a corporate interest, it's just silly.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Madmarttigan
AG
Ive seen critics tank scores for abunch of nonsense before but I dunno if I've really noticed someone doing that to audience scores before.
Formerly tv1113
Kate Beckett
AG
Just got out. I enjoyed it!!!! So did my dad.
jabberwalkie09
AG
tv1113 said:

Ive seen critics tank scores for abunch of nonsense before but I dunno if I've really noticed someone doing that to audience scores before.

I think there's some validity to the alleged brigading (both for and against) for a multitude of reasons, but the degree is anyone's guess. I also think that some reviewers give movies a pass on things sometimes and other times slam a film.

Brie really didn't help the film here with her comments, but even some of the reviewers were kind of meh on it. Thing is, that people spending their own money on something also tends to color their opinion.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Right, so we're back to ratings really don't mean *****
GiveEmHellBill
AG
tv1113 said:

This is the same as when people flood Yelp because they refused to serve a politician. The other side makes it their "mission" to shut that place down.!
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
AgMarauder04
AG
So....good idea or bad idea....

RT enters into contract with ticketing agencies. Each ticket has unique code. Code must be used to submit audience review?

Would it make a difference?
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
RikkiTikkaTagem
AG
jabberwalkie09 said:

Right, so we're back to ratings really don't mean *****

Disagree. We're back to saying low ratings are worthless. If audience reviews are overwhelmingly positive, it probably holds true
rtpAggie

nm (wrong reply)

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.