*** CAPTAIN MARVEL ***

94,486 Views | 770 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by schmendeler
Liquid Wrench
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Zero doubt Disney has a formula down for minimizing critics and detractors, whether Larson was intentionally a part of that I don't know.
veryfuller
Staff
AG
I haven't really seen anyone going after the detractors (or negative reviewers). Is that happening?

What I have seen is people mad about how this movie has been marketed trying to tear it down before even seeing it.

The backlash to the marketing has been odd to me. Of course Marvel is going to focus on Captain Marvel's femaleness in marketing. It's one of the only ways to make this movie a must see film and make it stand out from the other 20 movies before it. Is it gimmicky? Sure, but thats marketing. I guess I just don't understand why thats offending people.
Flashdiaz
AG
from a pure marketing perspective, why focus on solely the female aspect of it? That immediately takes out half the population, more so in the target audience of Marvel films.

That's what the problem was in older sci-fi\superhero movies in that it only appealed to males... they eventually got smarter and incorporated compelling female characters but now they're overcompensating too much. Why not focus on the fact she's a powerful Marvel superhero with a new story instead of just her gender?
jabberwalkie09
AG
AG 2000' said:

The fact that Larsen, her fanboys, and Disney allies all continue to frame anyone who doesn't like this movie as an angry white male tells me it sucks and they've gone lefty defense of the movie.

Reminds me a lot of the Hollywood excuses for when the Oscars, Emmys, etc ratings tank.

Where has this happened recently since the reviews came out? I honestly haven't seen it. And most of the prior stuff centered around Larson's comments specifically from what I saw.
veryfuller
Staff
AG
Well, I'd say they are trying to follow Wonder Woman's success. The marketing for that movie wasn't dissimilar, its just that Gal Gadot didn't step in it as often on the press tour as Brie Larson has.

And maybe the plan is to try to bring more people into the Marvel tent, to grow its audience, much like Black Panther did. No way Infinity War makes as much money without Black Panther being successful and adding new fans to Marvels tent.

Anyway, I'm not trying to start the gender debate again. It's just my observation that most of the narrative that people feel is being pushed on them is assumed and exaggerated, and that the marketing plan for this movie makes a lot of sense when you take a step back and look at it. It's receiving a lot of unearned backlash (and attention), in my opinion. And for what its worth, I haven't been super excited about the trailers because Brie Larson's line reading has been flat to me.
Phat32
AG
They should have really pushed more of the 90's nostalgia.
TCTTS
AG
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
If that's the case that would put it 8th in the MCU for domestic opening weekend

IW $257M
Avengers $207M
BP $202M
Ultron $191M
CW $179M
IM3 $174M
GotG2 $146M
------------------
IM2 $128M
Ragnarok $122M
SMH $117M
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
This isn't touching WW domestic.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

If that's the case that would put it 8th in the MCU for domestic opening weekend

IW $257M
Avengers $207M
BP $202M
Ultron $191M
CW $179M
IM3 $174M
GotG2 $146M
------------------
IM2 $128M
Ragnarok $122M
SMH $117M

Just for reference: all of the top 8 except Black Panther are sequels (the Avengers is not technically a sequel, but it really is a sequel to all the origin stories). Captain Marvel is tracking to be the biggest origin story this side of Black Panther (which was lightning in a bottle).

Quote:

I agree (and it shouldn't), but again for reference: Wonder Woman came out in June when kids were on vacation and this was technically her second appearance as she had a very substantial role in Batman v. Superman. Also, the character of Wonder Woman had 50 years of nostalgia, numerous cartoons and a popular live-action television series prior to her movie.

Just to be clear......I'm not trying to argue anything, as I have nothing personally invested in this movie. Honestly, I'm just trying to keep all of this in perspective without sounding like a jerk.

With all this, $130 million opening weekend is nothing to sneeze at.
The Collective
AG
$130 million is eerily similar to the initial projections I remember seeing for Solo. I don't recall the source, but I know it was right in that 130-140 neighborhood.
FTAG 2000
AG
jabberwalkie09 said:

AG 2000' said:

The fact that Larsen, her fanboys, and Disney allies all continue to frame anyone who doesn't like this movie as an angry white male tells me it sucks and they've gone lefty defense of the movie.

Reminds me a lot of the Hollywood excuses for when the Oscars, Emmys, etc ratings tank.

Where has this happened recently since the reviews came out? I honestly haven't seen it. And most of the prior stuff centered around Larson's comments specifically from what I saw.

She had a press conference the day of the premier where she went off on the "reviewers" again. I mean I guess it's all the same - mostly her spewing her man hating, white hating nonsense, but Disney could easily reign her in if they wanted.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
CJS4715 said:

$130 million is eerily similar to the initial projections I remember seeing for Solo. I don't recall the source, but I know it was right in that 130-140 neighborhood.

That was for a 4 day holiday weekend opening.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4401&p=.htm

The 3 day was expected to be 105-112 ended up $84M and $103 for the 4 day. Still fell way short yes.

GiveEmHellBill
AG
CJS4715 said:

This is true. It opened over a four-day weekend and Boxofficemojo predicted $108 million for the three-day and $134 for the four-day weekend. It opened to $83 million for the three-day weekend and $103 for the four-day weekend....well off from the predictions. Now, it did open one week after Deadpool 2, but I don't think that made a lot of difference.

This was also the only Star Wars movie I didn't see opening weekend. I think I finally caught it in it's fourth week, so my expectations were really low by then.
jabberwalkie09
AG
AG 2000' said:

jabberwalkie09 said:

AG 2000' said:

She had a press conference the day of the premier where she went off on the "reviewers" again. I mean I guess it's all the same - mostly her spewing her man hating, white hating nonsense, but Disney could easily reign her in if they wanted.

Well, that's something I totally missed then. Sounds like more of the same though.
wangus12
AG
I still think that Solo suffered quite a bit from The Hangover of everybody seeing the Last Jedi. I knew several people that didn't go see it at all in theaters and who have since seen it on streaming services that really enjoyed it. I thought it was pretty good and I hope that they'll give us a sequel to it.
veryfuller
Staff
AG
I still cant find anything about this. Do you have a link?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

Why does she have an attitude about everything?
Hagen95
AG
My kids want to see it so I'm sure we'll catch it over spring break at some point.
texasaggie04
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

IW $257M
Avengers $207M
BP $202M
Ultron $191M
CW $179M
IM3 $174M
GotG2 $146M
------------------
IM2 $128M
Ragnarok $122M
SMH $117M

Where does Ant-Man & the Wasp fall on this list? I'm viewing Captain Marvel in a similar vein to that right now... After Infinity War, anything will feel like second-tier until Endgame to me.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Oh the 2 Ant Man moves were tiny by comparison - $57M and $75M openings.

Also Dr. Strange had $85M opening.

Dro07
AG
The comments on there are pretty good
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Holy crap. Those dislikes, though.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
dromo07 said:

The comments on there are pretty good

"Man that white background probably made her really uncomfortable"
Prime0882
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

So, I generally don't pay attention to a lot of the media stuff for these movies and any of the "controversies" that come out of it, but, after watching this she does not come off as too likable.
Grimey
GiveEmHellBill said:

Zombie Jon Snow said:

IW $257M
Avengers $207M
BP $202M
Ultron $191M
CW $179M
IM3 $174M
GotG2 $146M
------------------
IM2 $128M
Ragnarok $122M
SMH $117M

Just for reference: all of the top 8 except Black Panther are sequels (the Avengers is not technically a sequel, but it really is a sequel to all the origin stories). Captain Marvel is tracking to be the biggest origin story this side of Black Panther (which was lightning in a bottle).

Quote:

I agree (and it shouldn't), but again for reference: Wonder Woman came out in June when kids were on vacation and this was technically her second appearance as she had a very substantial role in Batman v. Superman. Also, the character of Wonder Woman had 50 years of nostalgia, numerous cartoons and a popular live-action television series prior to her movie.

Just to be clear......I'm not trying to argue anything, as I have nothing personally invested in this movie. Honestly, I'm just trying to keep all of this in perspective without sounding like a jerk.

One other thing to note: just as with WW, we got a large dose of T'Challa is Civil War before his solo movie. So really, Captain Marvel should be compared to other heroes only in their first appearance: Iron Man, Thor, Captain America: The First Avenger, Ant-Man, and Doctor Strange
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Grimey said:

GiveEmHellBill said:

Zombie Jon Snow said:

IW $257M
Avengers $207M
BP $202M
Ultron $191M
CW $179M
IM3 $174M
GotG2 $146M
------------------
IM2 $128M
Ragnarok $122M
SMH $117M

Quote:

One other thing to note: just as with WW, we got a large dose of T'Challa is Civil War before his solo movie. So really, Captain Marvel should be compared to other heroes only in their first appearance: Iron Man, Thor, Captain America: The First Avenger, Ant-Man, and Doctor Strange
Disagree.... but for a different reason.

You also have to take into account date of release - those early MCU movies did not have the same build-up and built in audience of the later films. It became a thing about the time of the first Avengers movie in 2012. Since then it has been at a different level - including budgets, etc.

Iron Man and Thor were really breaking new ground.

And Ant-Man is hardly a central character he wasn't even in Avengers, or IW.

This is more of a buildup, it's known that it will play a central part in Endgame as that's already been teased and it is is much later than Iron Man and Thor/CA. The average ticket price in 2008 was $7.18 and in 2001 it was $7.93. It is now $9.09. That's more than a 25% increase since 2008 and about 15% since 2011.

Long story short - you can't really just compare any of them apples to apples. Too much has changed.
Grimey
They are expecting more than that, and if the tracking is correct ($130 mil) they are getting significantly more than IM (99 Mil), GotG (94 mil), Doctor Strange (85 mil), Thor (65 mil), The First Avenger (65 mil), and Ant-Man (57 mil).
Urban Ag
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

March 2022: Capt Marvel 2: Make Your Own F'ING Sandwich

March 2025: Capt Marvel 3: Growing Old Alone and Childless
Bruce Almighty
AG
Am I the only one that thinks she has freakishly long fingers?
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Urban Ag
AG
I don't think her and Stark are going to get along well at all.

Thor will be accused of mansplaining everything.

And after about five minutes of her Natasha gonna be all "where'd this b**** come from?" Cap will hold a finger up and respond "language Nat, language".
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.