*** CAPTAIN MARVEL ***

94,457 Views | 770 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by schmendeler
AgfromHOU
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've only seen the trailers turning the word "her" into "a hero". It says "see what makes her" fading into "a hero"
jabberwalkie09
AG
Fenrir said:

Brie said it is a feminist movie, which is going to make a pretty obvious link in people's minds. The director tried to walk it back a bit iirc, though I dont think it got as much traction as Brie's comments. I haven't personally seen anything else. I don't follow late night shows or shows like Entertainment Tonight either though.

And there's that too.
TCTTS
AG
In all honestly, I've only seen each trailer maybe twice.This marketing for this movie has been so bland and forgettable I simply haven't paid that much attention. But yeah, the her/hero thing does fit that bill, I assume.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Fair enough, especially since I get the impression that this movie will likely be in the bottom half of MCU films based on some of the reviews I've read. But Brie's comments is want made me want to go back and look a little closer at the presentation.

Hopefully the Russo brothers can use her effectively in Endgame and kind of turn the character around. Though I can see them being heavily criticized if they do.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Just to dog pile on, I have never really been that impressed with Brie Larson as the "Hollywood It Girl." I did like her in 21 Jump Street, where she plays a more comedic role.

Allison Brie, OTH...
dave94
AG
AgfromHOU said:

I've only seen the trailers turning the word "her" into "a hero". It says "see what makes her" fading into "a hero"
I thought that was a clever way to work in the whole first-female-led-Marvel-movie thing, but it's not like it's saying "SHE'S A HERO BECAUSE SHE'S A GIRL".

None of the marketing has made me think one bit that this is going to be all about proving a woman can do whatever a man can do.

And Brie Larson saying that it's a feminist movie is her very personal viewpoint on it, and probably one of the reasons she chose to do it after reading the script. But that's definitely to be taken with a grain of salt.
AgfromHOU
AG
No I know, I'm even defending that aspect of it on the previous page
dave94
AG
AgfromHOU said:

No I know, I'm even defending that aspect of it on the previous page
Oh, I wasn't directing at you, sorry!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Not great, not terrible. Mid tier MCU, imo.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I honestly have no idea, but I was wondering about it. All we know is Marvelle had it in the 90's. How did she even get it? I can't remember anything about the Tesseract before Avengers 1 tbh. But as far as I recall we know nothing about it between WWII and then CM.

Non-spoiler: Neither post-credits is all that good or interesting, imo.
wangus12
AG
Just sat down.
Ag Since 83
AG
Some nice moments in the third act, but overall just "fine" in my opinion
MBAR
AG
Third act was awesome. I agree as a whole it's good but not great. Certainly not bad as many feared.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Best part was hearing Come As You Are.
Madmarttigan
AG
MCU's signature move, never terrible, only sometimes great, just right in that average to good wheelhouse and make a billion.

At some point I am getting tired of middle tier MCU movies, particularly origin stories.

How detrimental will it be to ignore this movie before endgame after yall have seen it now?
Formerly tv1113
big-ag
AG
Agreed!
AliasMan02
AG
Ag Since 83
AG
Going into Endgame this will be my biggest complaint: they really gave no reason why Fury wouldn't have paged her before NOW...they weren't running short on emergencies
Gangnam Style
AG
It was a solid movie, not bad but not amazing. If you care about the MCU stuff, I'd say it's worth watching before Endgame. There's a *little* bit of tie in.
phatpat21
Is there a new endgame trailer before the movie?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
That's really my main issue with 90% of MCU. It's just so safe and cookie cutter. Please the most people as possible, but don't particularly excel at anything.

Oh, and once again, in true MCU fashion, entirely forgettable score. The soundtrack did all the heavy lifting.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Oh, and we still have absolutely NO idea who Carol Danvers really is. Her backstory, her life, anything really. But even more telling - I don't care.
Gangnam Style
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

That's really my main issue with 90% of MCU. It's just so safe and cookie cutter. Please the most people as possible, but don't particularly excel at anything.

Oh, and once again, in true MCU fashion, entirely forgettable score. The soundtrack did all the heavy lifting.

it was pretty epic when the avengers theme played though
Ag Since 83
AG
The thing that makes the MCU work at its best is each of the non-team ups have their own style. Guardians is the crazy one (and Thor Ragnarok), Captain America is the political/suspense thriller, Ant Man's the buddy heist comedy, etc.

I have no idea what this movie's niche is.

It's not bad, but it's probably the lowest MCU effort since....Ultron? Dr. Strange maybe?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
This movie was the gastronomic equivalent of a bowl of goop from The Matrix.
Saxsoon
AG
I had a wonderful time though Brie Larson sounded way too timid at times. She had a little bit of snark and personality the trailers didn't show so that helps a lot. Mendehlson was awesome. And we have arrived with dealing tech. Holy **** SLJ looked good.

Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2012
GiveEmHellBill
AG
First thing: damn you Marvel for making me tear up during the Marvel Studios intro.

That was a damn entertaining movie. A ton more humor than even hinted at in the trailers.

Had the usual slow middle that's common in most origin movies. The beginning had amazing effects, set design and was pretty exciting and the third act was a lot of fun.

Samuel L Jackson was the true MVP of this movie, IMO. He's been in so many of these he was finally able to relax and have some fun with the character. A close second would be Ben Mendelson. Who thought he could make a Skrull that much fun?

Okay, my only complaint will sound weird: I wasn't a fan of how they used the 90's music in the movie. Most of it just seemed kinda forced into some of the scenes. Like...."hey, remember this song?" Maybe if they picked some more obscure songs instead of just using all the songs on a "Greatest Hits of the 90's" CD.

I guess I'll put spoiler tags on this: Stan Lee's cameo had him reading the script for "Mallrats", which came out in 1995. Pretty damn funny.
maca1028
I should've never came here.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Ag Since 83 said:

It's not bad, but it's probably the lowest MCU effort since....Ultron? Dr. Strange maybe?
Dr. Strange a lower effort? Wow.
Bruce Almighty
AG
A spoiler thread was made a couple days ago....and as usual, entertainment board inconstancies on handling spoilers.
MBAR
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I don't think you're wrong about that and that's why I argued that marvel getting the X-Men wasn't necessarily a good thing. But I'll look for dark and different elsewhere I guess.

The MCU has a niche and for the most part I'm fine with it
GiveEmHellBill
AG
phatpat21 said:

Is there a new endgame trailer before the movie?
No.

In fact, I don't think there was anything I hadn't already seen before.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Oh, and once again, in true MCU fashion, entirely forgettable score.
Agreed. But that's pretty much common for MCU movies. I think the only theme I actually remember is the Avengers theme.

Oh, the Doctor Strange music was good. But I think that's because Michael Giacchino did the score. Hmmmm....hire an Oscar-winning composer and get a good score. Funny how that works.
rhutton125
AG
This thread sucked for a while, so I'm glad to get it back on point.

Thought the film was alright. About on par with Ant-Man. Not super high highs, no real lows.

No concern about Brie's acting whatsoever. Those saying they don't know her personality are exaggerating, but I guess they could have done better than backstory via flashbacks to get that across. She doesn't take orders well, she's tough, she gets back up no matter what, she's fierce. She's a fighter. I look forward to seeing that tossed in with Cap and Tony Stark.

I think I enjoyed it overall, but would have liked "more" to it. Side note - what's with all the quiet theaters in Texas. Maybe with a badass sound system the action beats and dramatic music moments would land harder.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.