*** CAPTAIN MARVEL ***

94,505 Views | 770 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by schmendeler
Madmarttigan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ratings are generally fine for most movies just some movies end up having some sort of social or political nonsense that falsely tilts it one way or another, aka TLJ, Black Panther, and now apparently Captain Marvel.
Formerly tv1113
FL_Ag1998
AG
Back to the actual movie..... just got out of it with a friend and my nine-year-old son. We all really liked it. Not the best Marvel movie but it's certainly not the worst either. Would put it above Doctor Strange, Ultron, Thor 2, Iron Man 2 and 3, and numerous others.

1) The Rotten Tomatoes audience score is clearly BS.

2) Brie Larson wasn't as wooden as the trailers made me think she would be. She wasn't as charismatic or funny as RDJ or Hemsworth or Pratt, but then again her character isn't supposed to be. The closest comparison to her character would be Captain America. We only care more about him because they gave him a little bit more of a backstory and a friend (Winter Soldier) so that we could see what he stands for and what he fights for. They just didn't do enough of that for Captain Marvel, but then again this is her first movie. They can certainly expand on her personal motivations in a sequel.

3) I actually liked "I'm Just a Girl" during the fight sequence at the end.

4) really liked the twist that the Skrulls weren't the ultimate bad guys.

5) I'm not worried that she'll be too overpowered during end game.

6) excited at the thought of a sequel that takes place entirely in space

7) and, on an entirely inconsequential note, thought the end credits were the best of any Marvel movie yet. Just liked the artwork a lot.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
schmendeler
AG
I enjoyed it. Not great but not bad. A good piece to fit into the greater whole.
scoop12
AG
I think Hawkeye ends up being Talos (the main Skrull).
Gangnam Style
AG
Seems to be doing pretty well at the box office.

https://deadline.com/2019/03/captain-marvel-opening-weekend-box-office-breaks-records-1202571905/
fig96
AG
So genuinely glad I missed the "discussion" earlier this week.

Just got out and it's a fun ride. Larsen is better than expected as Carol and Fury does steal the show, it's also surprisingly funny and has some nice throwback nostalgia.

I did feel like it was a bit on the nose in places and some of the music felt a little forced, but overall it's an entertaining popcorn superhero flick.

Commence the countdown to Endgame...
Liquid Wrench
I haven't seen it yet but your sensibilities have always been reasonably close to mine and those comments match up to my expectations.
InternetFan02
AG
Good movie. My 2 boys age 11 and 14 really loved it. But it certainly didn't feel like it was set in the 90s - it was forced music and some old costumes and cars thrown together. Whatever.
JJxvi
AG
It was ok.
AggieLitigator
Non spoiler review:

1. Everyone hating on Brie was wrong. I enjoyed her smart ass, dry sense of humor as a defense mechanism for not really knowing who she was or her purpose.

2. Loved the 90's nostalgia and music

3. The twists were predictable but fun

4. It's a fun, solid movie. Not a masterpiece but probably ranked 7-9 in the MCU, which is still a great ranking.

5. It might have been a little over the top on the whole female power movement. That's probably my biggest complaint - they tried a little too hard with it and it took away from the movie. Wonder Woman didn't try too hard in this regard - they were concerned with just making a great movie with a female superhero.

6. Overall, solid and entertaining movie. It's worth an opening weekend viewing.
AgMarauder04
AG
AggieLitigator said:

Non spoiler review:

1. Everyone hating on Brie was wrong. I enjoyed her smart ass, dry sense of humor as a defense mechanism for not really knowing who she was or her purpose.

2. Loved the 90's nostalgia and music

3. The twists were predictable but fun

4. It's a fun, solid movie. Not a masterpiece but probably ranked 7-9 in the MCU, which is still a great ranking.

5. It might have been a little over the top on the whole female power movement. That's probably my biggest complaint - they tried a little too hard with it and it took away from the movie. Wonder Woman didn't try too hard in this regard - they were concerned with just making a great movie with a female superhero.

6. Overall, solid and entertaining movie. It's worth an opening weekend viewing.

Seems reasonable. I think 5. Is mostly correct. I just remember the "No Mans Land" comment. They kept saying how no MAN could cross it when the delivery would have been much more organic if the line was "no one". Minor gripe.
Rex Racer
AG
My wife and I just got out. We loved it like we love all of the Marvel movies. If this movie was making a political statement about girl power, it wasn't much worse than Return of the King's, "No man can kill me." "I am no man!" line. And nobody complains about that.
ja86
AG
Rex Racer said:

... Return of the King's, "No man can kill me." "I am no man!" line. And nobody complains about that.
just an aside....That is actually almost verbatim from the book and is resolution to prophesy... it wasn't interjected for some forced agenda.
Dro07
AG
Movie was good better than expected.
RadAg14
AG
Very enjoyable movie
phatpat21
Just got home and it was really good. Don't understand the hate. End credits were exactly what I wanted to see! Can't wait for EndGame!!
Rex Racer
AG
ja86 said:

Rex Racer said:

... Return of the King's, "No man can kill me." "I am no man!" line. And nobody complains about that.
just an aside....That is actually almost verbatim from the book and is resolution to prophesy... it wasn't interjected for some forced agenda.
I didn't say it was.
CoachRTM
AG
Just got home.

Wife loved it - it's in her Marvel top 5 for sure.

I have it more in the 10-12 range, but I really enjoyed it as well.
rhutton125
AG
I couldn't hear what she says in the postcredits because all the uber-nerds were yelling so loud. Dumb.

Also, after the mid-credits I said to my friends "Everyone always wants them to be something huge like the X-Men or something, but it's usually when you'll see them next and then a repeated gag or something. Like this will probably be Goose spitting up the tesseract or something." Pow!
Kate Beckett
AG
She said Where's Fury?
Rudyjax
AG
Not reading thru the whole thread as I have no interest in the movie, but this did interest me.

What was this?

bthotugigem05
AG
in the Stan Lee cameo he was reading a Mallrats script
Rudyjax
AG
Thanks. My son said he was reading a newspaper.
Engine10
AG
Just got out - enjoyed it but nothing over the top. Good setup for bringing CM into the endgame and she's not too OP.

90's references were great.

Anyone else identify the Independence Day canyon flight chase scene?

Parallels make sense: Rambo/Will Smith vs. Alien, movie came out in 1996. The angles and flying patterns jumped out to me right away. It wouldn't surprise me if some of the footage was reused.
AliasMan02
AG
Haven't caught up in this thread yet, but there's not much to complain about in this movie. Very good. First act in particular was the hardest sci-fi that Marvel has attempted, and I think it really worked.
Max Power
AG
Marketing for this film was crap, I really, really enjoyed it. I liked it as a different take on the origin story. This is the first a lot of the audience has ever seen Captain Marvel, she gets to learn as the audience learns. The trailers made me think maybe Larson was just bad in the role, not true, she was great. I wish my daughter was a little older.

-Better than Wonder Woman, way more fun, a real Marvel movie.
-The Marvel intro that was all Stan Lee made me a little misty.
-Loved all the 90s stuff.
-SLJ was so much fun, it was old school SLJ on screen, not Nick Fury.
-Solid soundtrack.
-Best Stan Lee cameo ever, made me happy, almost got misty again.
-Goose!
-Captain Marvel is a badass
-The Tony Stark/Carol Danvers banter will be super filled with sarcasm whenever that happens.
-Stay for the second post credits scene, nothing to do story wise, but hilarious.

If you're on the fence go see it, it's fun.
Philip J Fry
AG
Completely confused about the teceract. How did it fall out of Howard Starks hands from Captain America?
AliasMan02
AG
Philip J Fry said:

Completely confused about the teceract. How did it fall out of Howard Starks hands from Captain America?

Mar-vel got it from SHIELD.
miller0926
AG
scoop12 said:

I think Hawkeye ends up being Talos (the main Skrull).

My prediction is that Rambeau's (I think that's her name) boyfriend is a skrull and that it's either War Machine or Falcon.
Saxsoon
AG
Rudyjax said:

Not reading thru the whole thread as I have no interest in the movie, but this did interest me.

What was this?

I didn't know the history of this and definitely made the whole scene so much better
Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2012
The Kraken
AG
Fun movie. Average at best for Marvel.

Enjoyed the two The Right Stuff references. Loved Goose.

TCTTS
AG
That was pretty good! Larson wasn't bad at all. I was expecting bland, and admittedly, for the first half hour or so that expectation was met. It was Guardians of the Galaxy without the humor or personality, and I was preparing myself for the worst. But then it slowly but surely kept getting better and better and by the end I was REALLY into it. I don't think I've experienced that in a Marvel movie before. Usually, they are what they are throughout. But the more layers that were peeled back the more interesting and unique and engaging it got. I was actually kind moved by certain parts too. That said, I doubt I'll ever watch it again, and it's definitely middle of the road MCU, but I came out of the theater way more satisfied than I thought I'd be.
boogieman
AG
The Stan Lee cameo may have been my favorite yet. Almost brought a tear to my eye. Loved brining it back to Mallrats.

Killer soundtrack. Love the 90's music, the 90s nostalgia.

Loved the Fury origin story.

Captain Marvel was fine... I guess. I dunno. Didn't hate it. But it's not my favorite Marvel.
Fairview
AG
For me the Captain Marvel stuff was fine but I got more out of the Nick Fury origin stuff and getting to better understand the Kree and Skrulls which helps with other MCU movies.

As others mentioned the tribute to Stan Lee was perfect. I was reading that her pausing and smiling at him wasn't originally there and added after his death.

There were a lot of middle / high school kids in my theater and hearing the reaction to the Marvel opening tribute plus the cameo was cool because no it affected everyone regardless of age. Pretty cool legacy and a unique theater experience.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.