*** CAPTAIN MARVEL ***

94,492 Views | 770 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by schmendeler
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wasn't it called shield during agent carter.
redline248
AG
I think they just called it SSR (strategic science reserve), but SHIELD was clearly up and running during the first scene in Ant Man. I don't remember what year that was supposed to be, though.

I'm guessing they kind of forgot about that part in Iron Man
Farmer1906
AG
https://vimeo.com/channels/1334523/140073097

10.40ish Howard calls it SHIELD.
redline248
AG
Well, that's clearly before Captain Marvel.

I don't remember that particular scene from the show, though. Was that some webisode only deal?
Farmer1906
AG
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_One-Shots
redline248
AG
Ok thanks for the link. I don't think that short is relevant anymore, due to the 2015-16 tv series. In that series, I can't ever remember them using the name SHIELD. She also worked in New York/LA and was never in DC.
dave94
AG
There are no doubt continuity errors anytime a series (or shared universe) ventures into previous timeframes. Why is concern over the SHIELD moniker even a thing? The full name was obviously chosen so it spelled out the word, so cares that in some previous movies they acted like it was some kind of reveal? I think this is a waste of everyone's time.
jeffk
AG
Lol. I don't think anyone here is really "concerned" about the SHIELD moniker. Just talking.

And posting on TA message boards about movies is generally a waste of time... that's sort of the point.
dave94
MooreTrucker
AG
dave94 said:

The fact that people are now trying to say that Brie Larson can't act is ridiculous. Everyone that I've talked to who saw the movie came out just in love with her. And for good reason, she had to be the heart of the story, and she delivered.
I saw the movie and I'm NOT in love with her. She's OK fine, but not top of the list. Paul Rudd is WAAAAAAY better as Antman and I enjoyed both Antman movies way more. I can say I saw CM and its lead into Endgame and I'll add it to the collection when it hits BluRay, but that's it. Definitely not top 10.
FightinTexasAg15
AG
Anyone else not know Brie Larson had a "let's go to the mall" phase?

EarlyAg07
AG

But no, had no idea.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG

That's godawful......really really bad.

I read her album only sold 3500 copies. I can see why.

All of her typical attitude is on display in that video too - eyerolls, smarmy, i deserve better in life, etc.

While it's somewhat typical teen fluff - there are some that are really really good. That ain't.

Sex Panther
AG
FightinTexasAg15 said:

Anyone else not know Brie Larson had a "let's go to the mall" phase?

"I'm really stuck on this lyric... what rhymes with, "This is not where I want to be" ?"

"Hmm... How about, "La di daa, La di dee" ?"

"Wow... nailed it"
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Well, to be fair she was also in a kick-ass band with one of the best bass players ever:

He was an ovo-lacto-vegetarian.....which just makes him better than most people.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

That's godawful......really really bad.

I read her album only sold 3500 copies. I can see why.

All of her typical attitude is on display in that video too - eyerolls, smarmy, i deserve better in life, etc.

While it's somewhat typical teen fluff - there are some that are really really good. That ain't.

Proud of those units.

Proud of every single one of those units.

Apache
AG
Saw the movie this Saturday & aside from being a little slow in places... I really liked it.
My daughter (12) isn't a fan of "comic book movies" but she enjoyed seeing a badass female lead.

Driving around today, we listened to some of the mid 90's girl rock bands (Hole, Elastica, No Doubt) that were featured in the movie and that led into more 90's girl rock (Veruca Salt, The Breeders, etc).
By the end of the drive, we listened to a lot of rock N roll. She requested that I turn up Motley Crue's "Too Young to Fall in Love" because she felt the song should be played to 6th grade girls.
I'm just glad she is liking something other than Hamilton.

fig96
AG
GiveEmHellBill said:

Well, to be fair she was also in a kick-ass band with one of the best bass players ever:

He was an ovo-lacto-vegetarian.....which just makes him better than most people.
Just catching up and was going to post this if someone else didn't.
double aught
AG
I finally saw this today and really enjoyed it. I was pretty skeptical of Larson from the previews but never thought about it during the movie. She did a good job. I appreciated the girl empowerment aspect; it wasn't blatant.

The story was interesting, and the whole 90s setting was fun. Captain Marvel seemed very OP at the end however. Didn't even need her spacesuit anymore! Hopefully they throttle her back a little.
bearamedic99
AG
I also didn't care much for the use of the band Hole when they could've used Heart (she wore a Heart t-shirt at one point), The Breeders, Kittie, or any other band with a female singer. Just my opinion.

I've agreed with most of everything already posted by viewers. It was a good movie but nothing great to rewatch and the supporting cast shined. I don't mind Larson looking wooden after she had repeatedly been drilled on controlling her emotions and actually felt her jovial scenes with Fury looked too forced/awkward.
Duncan Idaho
Saw it last night. I was good enough but not one I need to see again.
aggiepaintrain
AG
Just saw it, I have daughters and I thought it was great!

cav14
Bulldog73 said:

Again, I saw it in drive in with a toddler. What's up with the comments about her running?
Don't know but the running in the Endgame trailer by Clint is the worst. It's exaggerated (but not by much) by a parody budget trailer. Go to 1:26.

redline248
AG
Funny...

but to be fair, he's running in water and jumping (slightly) over something.
TexasAggie_02
mazag08
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

Same here. It was enjoyable and filled in some unnecessary but fun universe tidbits.. but it's firmly behind Ant Man & the Wasp and Hulk on the rewatch list.. two movies I can't get excited about seeing again.
MooreTrucker
AG
mazag08 said:

Duncan Idaho said:

Same here. It was enjoyable and filled in some unnecessary but fun universe tidbits.. but it's firmly behind Ant Man & the Wasp and Hulk on the rewatch list.. two movies I can't get excited about seeing again.
Nothing is behind the Hulk.
Kate Beckett
AG
Preach. It was so bad I got up and started cleaning my house!
Phat32
AG
Thought it was about 6/10. Character was not super interesting, but neither was Thor at first cut.

Agree with others that she now seems very OP. Hopefully Endgame isn't "just get CM to Thanos".
emando2000
AG
yukmonkey said:

Thought it was about 6/10. Character was not super interesting, but neither was Thor at first cut.

Agree with others that she now seems very OP. Hopefully Endgame isn't "just get CM to Thanos".

That would be doubtful. Thanos is still more powerful with all the stones. It'll be interesting to see how it works out. In infinity war Dr Strange said he played out over 14 million scenarios & there was only one favorable outcome. Right after Thanos good the time stone from dr strange, he looks at tony stark & says "we are now in end game". This leads me to believe thanos' fate is written but I still don't see how they defeat him.
TexasAggie_02
AG
emando2000 said:

yukmonkey said:

That would be doubtful. Thanos is still more powerful with all the stones. It'll be interesting to see how it works out. In infinity war Dr Strange said he played out over 14 million scenarios & there was only one favorable outcome. Right after Thanos good the time stone from dr strange, he looks at tony stark & says "we are now in end game". This leads me to believe thanos' fate is written but I still don't see how they defeat him.

They save a checkpoint and play the Thanos raid over and over until they get a favorable loot drop
Bulldog73
AG
Someone has played Destiny I see.
coldmoose
Saw it. I thought it was okay.
YouBet
AG
We saw it yesterday purely out of desire to see it ahead of Endgame which was what Marvel was banking on. It was ok. It was actually slightly better than I thought it would be which seems to be a lot of folks opinions on here. Bottom half of Marvel movies and won't ever watch it again. My wife liked it better than I did.

While she was better than portrayed in the previews, Brie Larson is simply not a good actor and even with the memory loss and controlling your emotions excuse she still sucked. Forced humor was her only emotion. When you needed or wanted her to be angry in those scenes where it made sense she was just flat and emotionless especially against the Supreme Intelligence.

Fury was good. I didn't even recognize Lee Pace as Ronin and thought it was someone different playing Ronin. Put on GOTG after we got home and realized I didn't recognize him because in GOTG he had additional black makeup on his face he didn't have in CM.
schmendeler
AG
I was looking on box office mojo at what end game had done so far. and I also saw captain marvel near the top.

that reminded me of the "controversy" surrounding captain marvel prior to its release and some were doubtful of its success.

I thought it was an enjoyable movie, about mid pack, which most people seemed to agree with. it seems that that didn't stop people from seeing it, either.

opening weekend: $153 Million

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=marvel2018a.htm

$426 Million domestic
$1.128 Billion worldwide

as a comparison, a few people predicted that it wouldn't touch "wonder woman" in domestic takings.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=wonderwoman.htm

$412 Million domestic ($821 worldwide)

it seems that some underestimated the marvel juggernaut and overestimated the outrage over "girl power".

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.