***ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD***

184,561 Views | 1255 Replies | Last: 7 mo ago by aTmAg
schmendeler
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Complete Idiot said:

This appears to be one of those rare movies that doesn't appeal to everyone equally.
investorAg83
AG
Urban Ag said:

<non Hollywood industry guy>
Sorry, it's been out for two weeks and the buzz seems to have died out a week ago. I compared the gross to his lasts 5-6 films and it seemed to be underperforming, but I didn't realize those sums were domestic + international. Regardless, the wiki says Django did $425M and Basturds did $322M so I guess they are expecting big enthusiasm overseas. Which, again, I wasn't aware it was projected to be that significant.

Like Schmendeler, we went and saw it at 5p yesterday and the theater was completely full minus the first few rows. That might be due to the fact it was a 35mm showing, but still. It was packed. And everyone was talking about how great it was as we were walking out.

QT movies have always been pretty polar...you either get it and love it, or you don't get it and hate it. Very little in the middle.
Urban Ag
AG
investorAg83 said:

Urban Ag said:

Sorry, it's been out for two weeks and the buzz seems to have died out a week ago. I compared the gross to his lasts 5-6 films and it seemed to be underperforming, but I didn't realize those sums were domestic + international. Regardless, the wiki says Django did $425M and Basturds did $322M so I guess they are expecting big enthusiasm overseas. Which, again, I wasn't aware it was projected to be that significant.

Like Schmendeler, we went and saw it at 5p yesterday and the theater was completely full minus the first few rows. That might be due to the fact it was a 35mm showing, but still. It was packed. And everyone was talking about how great it was as we were walking out.

QT movies have always been pretty polar...you either get it and love it, or you don't get it and hate it. Very little in the middle.
that's great, I am certainly not rooting against it.
A_Gang_Ag_06
AG
2:45 minutes long.
2:30 minutes of wasted time and a crap movie.
15 minutes of "roll on the ground" hilarity.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Urban Ag said:

so with a budget in the mid $90M range, is this considered a flop, or at best, financially disappointing?

I honestly thought this movie was going to do much, much, better.
This is such a confusing post.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
To clarify one thing (because the comparison on BO Mojo is a bit confusing):

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/showdowns/chart/?view=daily&id=tarantinovs.htm

This is not a good comparison chart because Django released on a Tuesday, not a Friday. So it's got 3 extra days on Hollywood. (Plus it was released on Christmas, so those first few days were pretty inflated for it.)

I think this movie is well on pace to match or beat out Django domestically.
schmendeler
AG
A_Gang_Ag_06 said:

I didn't think Bruce Dern was that funny.
TCTTS
AG
A_Gang_Ag_06 said:

Rational response for someone who didn't like this = "This wasn't for me."

Irrational response for someone who didn't like this = "Crap movie."

You may have not liked it, but it wasn't a "crap movie" by any stretch of the imagination.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
What's funny is this type of posting is eerily similar to how you post about the Prequel Trilogy.

Food for thought...

(Yes, I had to do it.)
TCTTS
AG
And yet, every once in a while, there are movies so objectively bad that they break the rules. The prequels fit that criteria.
HoustonAg2106
AG
I loved this movie.

That is all.
Cromagnum
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

Cromagnum said:

Sad state of the movie industry if this is picture of the year material. I'm normally a Tarantino Homer, but I'll never watch this a 2nd time. My wife wishes she never saw it the first time.

Is this the first "my opinion is more important than anybody else's" post of the thread.

Never said my opinion was more important than anyone's. I personally think this was a weak movie, and absolutely weak by Tarantino standards. Based on this thread one might think my opinion is less than everyone else's since my view is in the minority though.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Cromagnum said:

Bruce Almighty said:

Cromagnum said:

Sad state of the movie industry if this is picture of the year material. I'm normally a Tarantino Homer, but I'll never watch this a 2nd time. My wife wishes she never saw it the first time.

Is this the first "my opinion is more important than anybody else's" post of the thread.

Never said my opinion was more important than anyone's. I personally think this was a weak movie, and absolutely weak by Tarantino standards. Based on this thread one might think my opinion is less than everyone else's since my view is in the minority though.
You may not have meant it, but that is how its coming across. The movie has universal acclaim, most everyone on here loved hit and thought it was one of Tarantino's best, yet its a sad state of the movie industry if this movie gets nominated because you personally didn't like it.
TheDoctor
AG
Should at least get Best Picture consideration.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I think at worst it gets a Best Actor nod for Leo, Best Screenplay, and Best Picture.

Maybe Brad Pitt for Supporting and a few other technical ones. But I think the first 3 are locks.
Cromagnum
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

Cromagnum said:

Bruce Almighty said:

Cromagnum said:

You may not have meant it, but that is how its coming across. The movie has universal acclaim, most everyone on here loved hit and thought it was one of Tarantino's best, yet its a sad state of the movie industry if this movie gets nominated because you personally didn't like it.

It may fall more in line with other "best pictures" from the last 10 years but pales in comparison with many from the 90's and 00's. Again, my take. I'm out. Continue the circle jerk.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
There's so much history of the Oscars getting it wrong, going back to the year Citizen Kane lost to How Green Was My Valley.

It's not really a new thing.
Liquid Wrench
Or just the fact that Big Trouble in Little China received no nominations.
SteveA
AG
underrated post.
Duncan Idaho
Just saw it tonight.

Really enjoyed it but I have 2 gripes.

1) there wasnt enough of that QT dialog that we all love
2)I wasnt a big fan of the voice over and name cards

The acid scene was perfect. The tracers, his reaction and that being of "the train haseft the station" was spot on.

TCTTS
AG
schmendeler
AG
I feel like there was a bit of a missed opportunity by Tarantino not to have a trailer or two before the movie started of Rick Dalton movies.
johnnyblaze36
AG
Was this already posted ITT? I can't believe the heat that Hollywood or should I say click-bait loser critics have given this for ridiculous reasons.

The highlight of the film for me personally was the Bruce Lee scene, having been to his and Brandon's gravesite and standing on hallowed ground.

I guess it's not as bad as people counting the amount of words women got to speak but my God.

schmendeler
AG
schmendeler said:

I feel like there was a bit of a missed opportunity by Tarantino not to have a trailer or two before the movie started of Rick Dalton movies.
maybe some nice bonus material for the bluray? Quentin, I know you must read texags because we are quite influential in the industry, so don't play dumb on us!
Complete Idiot
ATM1876 said:

TCTTS said:

List is incomplete since it leaves off Jigsaw Jane, Comanche Uprising and Hellfire, Texas, all easily identified by their posters in Rick's house. I'd also put Nebraska Jim higher since it's directed by Sergio Corbucci, the second best director of spaghetti westerns, and costars Daphna Ben-Cobo (played by Daniella Pick, Tarantino's new wife IRL), who the paparazzi made a big deal about much to Rick's amusement.
Are you up to 6, 7 viewings now?
OldArmy71
AG
Interesting.

I have seen the movie three times and I love the Bruce Lee stuff, though I will certainly admit I have never had any interest at all in martial arts and certainly no reverence for Bruce Lee.

The person I was with at the third movie liked it a lot but did object to the disrespect of Bruce!
schmendeler
AG
ATM1876 said:

schmendeler said:

This would've been cool but wouldn't have made a lot of sense given the state of Rick's career in February 1969. That's why they started the movie off with the commercial for Bounty Law and the interview with Alan Kinkaid, which took place sometime around 1958-1961 when Rick's career was at its peak. It also provides a nice setup to his conversation with Marvin Schwarz where they discuss his recent work and career trajectory.
I would have been fine with putting them after the movie, too.
Complete Idiot
ATM1876 said:

Complete Idiot said:

Are you up to 6, 7 viewings now?
- Wow, man. That's the first time anybody's asked that in a long time.
- What's the answer?
- Ok. We gonna play kiddie games? Eighteen. Feel better?
- You got some proof, you know, like some ticket stubs or something?
- Are you joking?
- No, I'm not. I need to see something official that verifies that you've seen it eighteen times, which you don't have, because you haven't.
- Talk about a breakdown bummer, dude. That's you.

I've obviously seen it enough that I've got large parts of it memorized. I do love this one, but I normally see 1-2 movies a week anyway and there's just not a lot of other movies out there right now that I'm interested in compared to this one. The local water company is also replacing the 100+ year old main on my block right now which goes from 7:00 am to as late as 10:00 pm each night, so I'd much rather sit in a theater than listen to that. AMC A-List also makes it easy to justify, although I'll probably see it one more time in 35mm at my local film society since that helps support future 35mm screenings over there.
No need to justify it to me - but you are totally living in that universe now. You got all the movie details down pat. it is a bit intoxicating in Rick and Cliff's world.
Duncan Idaho
Am I misreading that? I never got the impression from that scene that Bruce Lee had anything other than respect for Ali.

Complete Idiot
I actually thought that whole scene was imagined in Cliff's head. He was on roof to install antenna and they cut to the Bruce scene and after that cut back to Cliff saying "yeah, that is how that would go" or something like that. Which made me think he was content to be Ricks gofer boy and was imagining what would go wrong if he had actually taken that role on a film
Duncan Idaho
It was a flashback to explain that Rick wasnt being a dick by not asking if he could be on the crew

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.