***ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD***

186,335 Views | 1255 Replies | Last: 7 mo ago by aTmAg
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

Update, Aug. 6, 11 PM EST: Initially, we had decided to not include Death Proof because it was released as part of a double feature with Robert Rodriguez's Planet Terror, and not as a stand-alone feature. After consideration, we've included it in an effort to be comprehensive.
Hah! Sure, that's why you didn't include it.
OldArmy71
AG
Time is going to be really upset when they do the same for John Ford films.....
Complete Idiot
There have been 3,199 Time covers featuring only men since 1923, according to the analysis, while only 428 displayed only women.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Complete Idiot
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Her ass used to be beautiful.
I get the reference, nice.
Bones08
AG
Saw it last night and absolutely loved it.

Also, 50 year anniversary of the Tate murders is tonight.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Actually, four. I'd throw in Jackie Brown.

ok if that's 4 what's 3?

i get KB 1 and 2 and JB.......
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Death Proof
Cromagnum
AG
We thought this movie was pretty ***** A whole slew of pointless scenes that led to nothing. They could easily have trimmed out a solid hour. The chaotic scene at the end was very Tarantino-esque and was pretty funny though.
Gomer95
AG
I went and saw this for the 2nd time tonight because I wanted to see what I really thought of it and if I would like it as much the 2nd time. The answer is yes I LOVE it and I think it might be my favorite of all his films. I can't explain why I like it so much and think it's so cool and rewatchable for me and a lot of other people but I also totally get how a lot of folks could be bored most of the way except for the end.

I think the main leads are probably the main reason I like it so much because it's some great acting mixed with the whole Tarantino stereotypical movie qualities (lots of long conversations, driving to cool music, etc.) and then being reflective of a love of movies in general which I know is a quality of his as well.

I liked it a lot the first time, have listened to the soundtrack the last 2 weeks a lot and love it, and loved the movie tonight for the 2nd time. The almost 3 hours seemed like they flew by to me and that's with me knowing what was going to happen. I'm done now until it comes home but I hope he makes an extended edition. Maybe the official "flamethrower edition" lol.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Lucky. My AMC went straight from Lion King to Hobbs & Shaw.
schmendeler
AG
Just saw it today for the first time.

Tenet teaser played before my regular showing.

I really enjoyed the movie, it felt like a Tarantino movie on the mature setting in comparison to his other movies.

One question that might have discussed before:
When Tim Oliphant comes up to Leo to introduce himself there's this weird jump cut when they suddenly go from no hats to both wearing hats. Was that just some quirky Easter egg type thing or did I miss the significance of that? It might have happened other times but I wasn't 100% sure.
TCTTS
AG

https://variety.com/2019/film/box-office/box-office-hobbs-shaw-scary-stories-the-kitchen-flops-1203298902/
TheDoctor
AG
Top 3 Tarantino for me.

DiCaprio and Pitt are absolutely magnetic on screen. DiCaprio's "Hamlet" scene was riveting - I cannot stop thinking about it.

Will go see it again this week hopefully.

Urban Ag
AG
so with a budget in the mid $90M range, is this considered a flop, or at best, financially disappointing?

I honestly thought this movie was going to do much, much, better.
TCTTS
AG
It was Tarantino's highest grossing weekend ever and is on pace to be his highest grossing film ever (currently tripling the pace of Django Unchained, which holds the number one spot). Why would you expect this to do "much, much better" than that? Three weeks before its release it was tracking for a $30M opening weekend. It ended up doing $41M. Sony knew exactly what they were getting into, and I can't imagine them being anything less than ecstatic right now, especially with so many foreign markets yet to open. Also, not only is it a lock for a Best Picture nomination (and likely many other nominations), I've starting hearing predictions that it could very well be the Best Picture winner. Because of the intense buzz, a recent Academy screening for Academy members had to turn away over 75 people, which rarely happens. A nearly three-hour, R-rated film that is the only original film this summer to pass $100M domestic, will likely end up being Tarantino's highest grossing film to date, and has a legit chance at winning Best Picture = a massive success in most people's books.
emando2000
AG
It's going against nothing. There aren't any movies that the masses are excited/talking about right now. Heck, there isn't even a good tv show on right now that people are talking about.
TCTTS
AG
Hobbs & Shaw is "nothing"?
emando2000
AG
TCTTS said:

Hobbs & Shaw is "nothing"?

I will probably never watch that movie. I'm ok with saying never.
TCTTS
AG
I doubt I will either. But that's beside the point. It's definitely sizable competition.
Urban Ag
AG
<non Hollywood industry guy>
Sorry, it's been out for two weeks and the buzz seems to have died out a week ago. I compared the gross to his lasts 5-6 films and it seemed to be underperforming, but I didn't realize those sums were domestic + international. Regardless, the wiki says Django did $425M and Basturds did $322M so I guess they are expecting big enthusiasm overseas. Which, again, I wasn't aware it was projected to be that significant.
<non Hollywood industry guy>

Cromagnum
AG
Sad state of the movie industry if this is picture of the year material. I'm normally a Tarantino Homer, but I'll never watch this a 2nd time. My wife wishes she never saw it the first time.
TCTTS
AG
Many in this thread, including myself, would disagree with you. It's not a "sad state of the industry." It's differing of opinions, that's all. Besides, how would this winning be any worse than Green Book, The Shape of Water, The Artist, Crash, etc. winning?
The Debt
The fact that Grinding Nemo won best picture nullifies the value of the award.
Post removed:
by user
emando2000
AG
I'm with Cromagnum. It was so borrrrring. I almost fell asleep. The GF wanted to go see it & walking out she said thank god for the ending.
P.C. Principal
Really enjoyed this movie. Pitt's character was hilarious. And enjoyed the nods to Inglourious Basterds
Complete Idiot
This appears to be one of those rare movies that doesn't appeal to everyone equally.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Cromagnum said:

Sad state of the movie industry if this is picture of the year material. I'm normally a Tarantino Homer, but I'll never watch this a 2nd time. My wife wishes she never saw it the first time.

Is this the first "my opinion is more important than anybody else's" post of the thread.
The Debt
The film was definately less action packed than kill bill. We have come to expect blood and quirky dialogue from QT. Here he tells a linear story, a slow boil. He gives us a taste of violence at the ranch but then keeps his powder dry until the final 6 mins of the film.

Sitting around I'm wondering why the hell I'm watching a film about a has-been actor. It was well done, but the replayability of the film is questionable. We get a lot of good scenes, only for a 3 death payout. And that was over rather quick.
schmendeler
AG
The theater I was in yesterday at 3pm was completely full. I thought that two weeks after release I would be mostly by myself. Seems like this one has steady drawing power?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.