***ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD***

183,724 Views | 1255 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by aTmAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I also think it's unfair to call all his movies huge prestige movies when in many cases, he's the reason for the prestige. Wolf of Wall Street is not a Scorsese movie, it's a Leo movie.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Flashdiaz said:

not sure how I feel with a story that glorifies a real murderer.

Then again, I enjoyed the People vs. OJ series...

Very interested to see how the first reply in this thread ages tomorrow.
Liquid Wrench
I've never understood the argument that portraying murder glamorizes murder. I've never finished a QT movie, or any really violent movie, and thought "that's the life for me!"
Corporal Punishment
AG
Got my tickets. 9:45 pm showing in Austin tonight.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Flashdiaz said:

The entire first page is a blast to read now, with all the hand-wringing and triggered responses.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I have been way too excited for this for way too long.

Kind of sucks there's no IMAX theaters showing this, cause of The Lion King. Just like Hateful Eight when TFA was in theaters.

QT always seems to be competing with Disney, huh?
The Debt
Leo hasnt worked with any transgendered, subSaharan, paraplegic directors either. *click*click*vroom* just isnt interested in the same projects as Mr. DiCaprio
Flashdiaz
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Flashdiaz said:

don't know much about the movie (trying to stay spoiler free) but recent indications are the Manson aspect of it are a backdrop and not the primary focus.

I'm just going to have to watch it to make an informed opinion. May need to rewatch multiple times to bolster said opinion.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
From what I've heard, Manson's appearance in the trailer is literally the extent of his character.

That should put aTm at ease...

Actually, pretty sure even that won't.
SbisaVictim95
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I have been way too excited for this for way too long.

Kind of sucks there's no IMAX theaters showing this, cause of The Lion King. Just like Hateful Eight when TFA was in theaters.

QT always seems to be competing with Disney, huh?
No IMAX but if you have an Alamo near you, many of them are showing it in 35 mm. By the time I got around to buying my ticket the 7 pm showing tomorrow was almost sold out and I didn't want to sit in the front row so I got a 3:15 pm showing on Saturday.

Also you can buy the Birth.Movies.Death collector's mag when you purchase your ticket online. Looks pretty cool.
Duncan Idaho
Brian Earl Spilner said:

From what I've heard, Manson's appearance in the trailer is literally the extent of his character.

Of course, liberal Hollywood trying to ignore the monsters in their past. Everyone knows that Manson was lib
PooDoo
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Of course, liberal Hollywood trying to ignore the monsters in their past. Everyone knows that Manson was lib

Think Leo or Pitt kill Tate and pin it on Manson?
aTmAg
AG
I hear that QT changed history sorta like how he did in Inglorious *******s.. If so.. I hope he killed Charles Manson. I'd be A-okay with that.
Duncan Idaho
PooDoo said:

Duncan Idaho said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Think Leo or Pitt kill Tate and pin it on Manson?

#qanon
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Exactly one year from this moment, I should heading to the theater for the first 7 PM showing.
Well, 7:30, but close enough. Couldn't make the 4 pm showing.
Post removed:
by user
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
third coast.. said:

Damn. Almost 3 hours long. I dont think I'll make it tonight.

Story of my life.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Three hours to go...
Bunk Moreland
Well that was something. Some absolutely classic scenes. Beautifully shot.

That said it was pretty ordinary by QT standards.

Everything about the final scene was perfect.

I walked in thinking Margot Robbie would steal my heart but it was Margaret Qualley instead. Oh my.

Lot of fun. 7.5/10
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
So awesome.

Middle of the pack of Tarantino's filmography, and still the best movie I've seen this year.

More thoughts when I get home.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Maybe it helped that I knew going in that it was more of a "day in the life" movie without a driving plot, but I thoroughly enjoyed that. I never found myself bored, despite the runtime.

Feels exactly like a Tarantino movie the whole way through.

About the only complaint I have is that the dialogue is never quite as awesome as some of his best. It's still great, just not Pulp Fiction or Basterds level.

That little girl in the Western was amazing.

Pretty solid soundtrack. (I called California Dreaming being on the soundtrack!)

Leo with another awesome performance. His weird tics as Rick, his breakdowns, and when he kills it on the Western, all so good.

Brad Pitt was his usual charming self.

Ending spoilers below...

We all knew where that was going, maybe even a bit predictable, but ******* was it great seeing Cliff beat that *****'s head into mush.

It's still early to rank it, as QT movies usually get better with age, but I can say with certainty it ranks ahead of Hateful Eight, Death Proof, and Jackie Brown for me. It might jump some others with time.

Any kind of Tarantino fan should enjoy this one.

Oh, and I could watch Brad Pitt driving through 1969 Hollywood for hours.
aTmAg
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

It's still early to rank it, as QT movies usually get better with age, but I can say with certainty it ranks ahead of Hateful Eight, Death Proof, and Jackie Brown for me. It might jump some others with time.
I don't get the hate of Jackie Brown. That's my favorite QT film (I haven't seen them all). It's the one that makes you think, IMO.

Edit: didn't mean the thumbs down.. I'm not passionate about this topic or anything.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Who hates it?
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Jackie Brown is criminally underrated and is one of QT's best films.

It also has one of my favorite performances in any of his films. Robert Forster deserved an Oscar for his role of Max Cherry.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Agreed, very underrated. For the record, Hollywood barely edges out JB on my list.
lawless89
Man...what a flick! Love the way QT did everything from the opening to closing credits. Great spin at the end and that whole scene was nails. The whole theater was very much into it. I'd say it was a 9/10.

Oh and Dakota Fanning was looking roughhhh.
PatAg
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Can't wait for this one.

Have kind of tempered my expectations a bit, since most reviews I've seen on youtube seem to fall into the "really good but not quite great" category. The ending seems to be divisive.

Then again, QT's movies are almost always movies that get better with age. Certainly the case with Basterds, Django, and Hateful 8, for me.

7:30 pm tomorrow cannot come soon enough.
Couldnt imagine basing any of my expectations off of reviews on youtube. If you were excited before, stay excited.
AgLaw
AG
Holy ***** Great movie. I don't care what your top 3 Tarentino movies are, this one moves in. 2/3 contemplative art film on aging (so says this 48 YO), 1/3 full on alt-history fantasy in the vein of Inglorious *******s

Love, love, love this movie
PatAg
AG
I can't be the only one that will see any movie Leo is in. Part of it, is that he is a great actor. The bigger part, is that he seems to just be an excellent judge of scripts. I actually wonder if he will continue acting as he ages, or if he has any interest in directing or producing.
AgLaw
AG
I'm a big Leo and Brad Pitt fan. Both do a great job of finding roles that fit who i think they must be unreal life.
PatAg
AG
AgLaw said:

I'm a big Leo and Brad Pitt fan. Both do a great job of finding roles that fit who i think they must be unreal life.
Brad Pitt's only real misstep for a long time was Meet Joe Black

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.