***ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD***

184,714 Views | 1255 Replies | Last: 7 mo ago by aTmAg
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I wonder if that would've been the first time in movie history you had someone playing a real person, and that person is also in the movie, as another character.

Maybe a comedy has done it. But can't think of a "real" movie that's done it...
Liquid Wrench
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Listening to the official Spotify playlist. Good *****

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/37i9dQZF1DXdcrhWAJUc8C?si=FNMTJOshSbq1-q8nZ084Hw
Will definitely be listening. Nice hearing "Treat Her Right" by the great Texan, Roy Head. I've seen his son Sundance Head sing it at a Houston bar.

Just saw the movie today since I waited until another Texags loser could go with. I won't write out all my thoughts in book form right now, but pretty much agree with everything Brian Earl Spilner and Sex Panther have said. This is probably my favorite Tarantino film since Pulp Fiction. I haven't really loved all of his recent movies, but this one hit a lot of notes for me, especially at the age I am now compared to when Pulp Fiction came out. There were some dr**** bits, but overall was a great aesthetic and vibe throughout.
Complete Idiot
I saw the movie a few days ago, but haven't commented for some reason. I used to see almost a movie a week, but since having three kids and other life changes it's more rare now. But I will get out to see any movie by Tarantino, the Coen brothers, or Paul Thomas Anderson. I realize I am shortchanging some other great directors, but that's where I am at now.

I liked the movie, as with every Tarantino it's just highly watchable. Sounds dumb as I say or type that, but just really like staring at the screen for almost any of his movies. Ranking Tarantino movies is weird - covering a quarter plus century so I've seen each at different stages of my life, and initial viewing impressions can depend on what is going on in your life at that moment, so it's all loaded with so many influences unless you watch them all again now - which I haven't done. But for OUATIH, I felt it was carried more by the performances than the material I liked the movie no question, could have gone 4 hours and I'd have been fine, but I feel Leo and Pitt really made this movie for me - great performances. I don't personally feel it as rewatchable as some other Tarantino films - but that opinion could change upon rewatchings.

I havent seen Pulp Fiction start to finish but once I think - and that is weird. Caught snippets a lot but can't recall watching the whole thing since the theater. In contrast, seen Reservoir Dogs 3 or 4 times despite not having seen that one in a theater. Currently I feel Inglorious Basterds is my favorite because I just feel I can watch the whole thing, or any part of it, at any time. I feel that way for Reservoir Dogs and, surprisingly, the Hateful 8 as well. I can just drop it any any point of the movie and enjoy what I am seeing at any time. Jackie Brown is a full movie, I feel you need to watch that one start to finish to fully appreciate - and it's the most classic and complete story as far as character fleshing out and relationships. Id put OUATIH before Django for me though.

I don't think Tarantino is glorifying everything about America in that era, so I don't get that political angle, but he's clearly nostalgic about that era of Hollywood. Even the cheesiness and studio formulaicity of it all is celebrated, I don't think you have to think "that is the most noblest time" to celebrate/enjoy/ironically worship an era. So Pacino's character, the way careers are managed - it's all enjoyed on some level by Tarantino.

I think Dicaprio really did a great job with the character, really did a great job in the scenes where he is acting as the character he is playing.

I thought Pitt was almost a Pitt caricature yet somehow that just works - he's just that cool on screen. His character was really the heart of the movie I think - despite the odd but funny side bit about killing his wife and getting away with it. I thought the short clip of him on the boat with a *****ing wife, holding some type of weapon, was hilarious in an odd way.

The Manson family is there to represent the killers of an era - an era of naivete and boorish behavior - but an evil end. To Tarantino they didn't kill just Tate and the housemates but the Hollywood as it was then. The scene at the ranch where Pitt visits a great Bruce Dern was meant to be tense, but it just paled in comparison to say, The Basterds basement scene to me. Enjoyable, watchable, but just won't imprint on my brain in the same way.

I really liked the movie, there's no Tarantino material that feels cheap or trite, but it's not in my top 4 Tarantino films (those he directed).
oglaw
AG
I think we need to have more discussion about how great the Bruce Lee/Cliff Boothe face off is. That whole sequence had me laughing.
Know Your Enemy
AG
oglaw said:

I think we need to have more discussion about how great the Bruce Lee/Cliff Boothe face off is. That whole sequence had me laughing.
That's one of my favorite parts.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I'm as real as a donut, mother****er.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Just realized there was no trunk shot. And Cliff pulling the spare tire out would've been the perfect opportunity.
The Debt
Was anyone disappointed Samuel L didnt have a small part in this film?
TCTTS
AG
He's in the scene-within-the-scene in the saloon. When Rick asks for his line again and they have to redo it. Jackson has a hat on and an eye patch on his left eye, sitting with two other people at one of those tables. There's two shots of him, but you wouldn't know it unless you know to look.
TCTTS
AG

https://birthmoviesdeath.com/2019/08/01/rumor-an-extended-cut-of-once-upon-a-time-in-hollywood-may-be-headed-for-ne
Liquid Wrench
I'm proud of myself for not assuming that the black guy in the movie was Samuel L. Jackson.
The Debt
No sht! I saw Tim Roth was in the credits but "(cut)".

I'm sure we will see that scene eventually.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Social Media Influencer said:

I'm proud of myself for not assuming that the black guy in the movie was Samuel L. Jackson.
BTHOthatguy
So I had some of these of the same thoughts about the dialog. It didn't seem as "punchy" as QT's other films...

Upon further thought, so much of the dialog could have been the "Rata-tat-tat" cadence sequence we've seen in other films but it wouldn't have fit the nostalgia the movie is going for.

I will just add the scene where Rick looks in the mirror and says "you will get these lines right or I will blow your head off tonight" was QT at his best. I honestly thought that scene followed by Rick crushing it was the best part of the movie.

The dialogue, the pace, the lack of violence, the meandering story line were all distinctively different from QT's previous projects. I originally walked out feeling disappointed but upon further review... The balls it's takes for a generational movie maker to break his own mold and give us something different leaves me excited to watch this movie a second time.

It ain't Pulp Fiction, but it's still shatters the mold. Not since, Whiplash have I thought this much about the art produced.
BTHOthatguy
Also Brandy stole the show. Barking to go to bed after wrecking house was nails. Good dog.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
The Debt said:

No sht! I saw Tim Roth was in the credits but "(cut)".

I'm sure we will see that scene eventually.
There's a rumor that QT is going to turn this movie into a series of episodes like he did with "The Hateful Eight" on Netflix. If that's so, that's where we'll see a lot of this cut footage.
boogieman
AG
Sex Panther said:

boogieman said:

Quote:

An alleged leak regarding Tarantino's upcoming Manson family heartwarmer(his first film based on true events) emerged on Reddit's Movies wing. User b1rdnest claims to have inside information on what's to come. According to the poster, the film will be modifying things from Tarantino's Kill Bill 3 script for use in this film. Here's the key juicy stuff, including casting talk involving Jennifer Lawrence and Brad Pitt.
Quote:

Brad Pitt: Tex Watson Jennifer Lawrence: Susan Atkins Margot Robbie: Sharon Tate Harvey Keitel is playing Manson as on old man, which aspects of the story are told through him.
[Young Manson is not featured]
The film will take place briefly before the murders begin and the twist will be that Sharon Tate survives and hunts down/murders the whole family.
It will have lots of references to The Fearless Vampire Killers which she stared in.
Tarantino gave up on Kill Bill 3 and converted elements to be adapted in this story.
It is heavily influenced by The Last House on the Left & Straw Dogs.
[And thanks for not just hating on me for a supposed leak. I was excited to share because this never happens to me. Again I CANT CONFIRM. It's just what I was told]

Interesting.

Link

lol at this

Way off!
Quad Dog
AG
This movie got me to re-watch Reservoir Dogs (on Amazon Prime now) and Inglorious Basterds (On Netflix now). Both are amazing and still hold up. I noticed something during the brilliant tavern scene in Basterds I hadn't before:
Gestapo Officer Hellstrom overhears Fassbender's weird accent and questions him on it. Fassbender is able to pass his accent off with his knowledge of German films. Hellstrom joins them for a drink and suggests they play the card drinking game. Fassbender gives himself away by ordering three scotches without using his thumb. This is what I noticed: Hellstrom gets Shtiglitz to scoot over one and inserts himself at the table next to Fassbender. He suggests they play the game and lays out the rules that you write a name and pass it to the person on your right. The name that Hellstrom intentionally gives to Fassbender is Bridgitte Horney. A German actress most famous for her role in the 1943 (the year previous) German version of Baron Mnchhausen. An actress Fassbender can't know because he admits earlier in the movie that he hadn't been able to see a German movie in 3 years. Either way Hellstrom was going to reveal Fassbender. Even without his three finger mistake Fassbender wasn't leaving that tavern without getting to say the perfect line: "Well, if this is it, old boy, I hope you don't mind if I go out speaking the King's./There's a special rung in hell reserved for people who waste good scotch. Seeing as how I may be rapping on the door momentarily. I must say, damn good stuff. Now, about this pickle... we find ourselves in. It would appear there's only thing left for you to do."

BenFiasco14
AG
Saw it last night and really enjoyed it.

The gf fell asleep and missed almost half the movie so she didn't particularly care for it. Ugh.
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
CajunAg97
AG
Big QT fan, but this movie fell flat for me....
emando2000
AG
I'm with those that thought this was just ok. Brad Pitts character was my favorite. The entire movie I was trying to figure out the purpose of Margaret Robbie's character. Once someone told me the story of the murders it made sense why she was an emphasis. The Bruce Lee scene was good & so was the ending. The rest was really boring. Going into it I had no expectations other than to expect a lot of appreciation for the dialogue between the characters & crazy action scenes.

How does this movie make money? It had an all star cast but the theatre was 1/2 full. Most people I know that have seen it thought it was just ok. Pulp Fiction may be my favorite movie ever but this was wayyyy down the list. KB's, reservoir dogs & inglorious ******* was much higher for me.
One Louder
AG
Don't cry in front of Mexicans.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Wabs
AG
Loved the movie. Now a big fan of Margaret Qualley. I thought she was fantastic (and hot).

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
For you other Tarantino uber-nerds like me, this is a great interview. (And cool footage of QT reading early drafts of Kill Bill to RR.)

The Debt
You got a thing for hairy chicks?
Wabs
AG
Debt said:

You got a thing for hairy chicks?
Apparently she got her pits waxed as soon as filming was done.

Jim01
AG
She is also really good in The Leftovers.
Complete Idiot
I've never forgotten Bridget Fonda in Jackie Brown. I hope Qualley fills that same role in the lives of you younger guys.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Her ass used to be beautiful.
The Debt
No one:
Absolutely no one:
TIME magazine: We counted how many lines females have in this film.

https://time.com/5645347/quentin-tarantino-women-dialogue/
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Can't imagine putting in that much time and effort into TRYING to look for something to get offended about.

Not to mention he's made not one, not two, but three "feminist" (if you really want to call them that) / girl power movies in his career.

This kind of stuff is so stupid. I guess let's pick apart every person in Hollywood with a microscope looking for dirt.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Actually, four. I'd throw in Jackie Brown.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.