***ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD***

183,690 Views | 1255 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by aTmAg
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Geriatric Punk
AG
Philo B 93 said:

This movie was too long for me. Here's a great movie within this movie:

3. Spare Tire scene (excluding the rest of the Spawn Ranch scene)

I thought that entire scene from beginning to end was bad ass. The different takes on this flick continue to surprise me.

I will say this, I like this movie much more after a second pass.
Life's an endless party, not a pushcart.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

Something about this cast, I can just watch these Q&A's forever.

And btw, per Gold Derby, this is now the frontrunner for Best Picture.
Silky Johnston
I thought it was long and boring and just pretty much pointless. The last part with the hippies getting messed up and torched was funny and enjoyable because there was actually point to all that. Nothing else in the movie seemed to have any point. Watching Margot Robbie drive around for 10 minutes and then watch her watch movies for another 10 minutes was just so boring and pointless.
CrottyKid
AG
Silky Johnston said:

I thought it was long and boring and just pretty much pointless. The last part with the hippies getting messed up and torched was funny and enjoyable because there was actually point to all that. Nothing else in the movie seemed to have any point. Watching Margot Robbie drive around for 10 minutes and then watch her watch movies for another 10 minutes was just so boring and pointless.

2 things.

1. Hollywood loves them some movies about Hollywood. (See La La Land)
2. I could watch Margot Robbie doing anything.
PatAg
AG
The movie didnt do it for you, that's fine.
When you make posts like this, it invites people to then contend your points, because you are attempting to state that the movie is bad..which most of us disagree with.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I liked several stretches of it, with Spawn Ranch maybe being my favorite. But in a 3 hour movie, I thought that Margot Robbie bit was such over extended crap.
dave94
AG
I just totally bought into what I was watching, even the mundane acts that these characters went through. It was even more fun watching it at home the second and third times (third time with my dad who normally needs a lot more action).
Silky Johnston
ok
TCTTS
AG
Btw, I could not recommend these two podcasts enough. Tarantino recently joined The Ringer's The Rewatchables (one of my favorite podcasts) to do both Dunkirk and Unstoppable, and his praise of and enthusiasm for Nolan and Tony Scott, respectively, is just infectious. It helps to have seen both movies recently (I rewatched each for both podcasts), but the conversations are entertaining even if it's been a while since you've seen either...

https://www.theringer.com/2020/1/6/21054017/the-rewatchables-quentin-tarantino-on-what-makes-dunkirk-a-masterpiece

https://www.theringer.com/2020/1/9/21057968/unstoppable-with-quentin-tarantino-bill-simmons-and-chris-ryan
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Dunkirk is so good.
PatAg
AG
See, I just assumed Unstoppable was horrible because of the description of the plot. Maybe I should get around to watching it.
YouBet
AG
We watched this last night and enjoyed it. It's the first Tarantino movie I've liked since Inglorious *******s. Really enjoying Brad Pitt's resurgence with this movie and Ad Astra especially in this one. The guy playing Bruce Lee was almost perfect.

We almost got through an entire Tarantino movie without ultra violence and then the climax happened. Lol. He's so over the top with violence.
schmendeler
AG
watched it this weekend and it was much quicker feeling than when I saw it in the theater. felt like maybe 2 hours. Brad Pitt laughing hysterically at Tex at the end had me rolling.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
https://www.indiewire.com/2020/01/sony-tarantino-edit-hollywood-china-1202203105/
jackie childs
TCTTS said:

Btw, I could not recommend these two podcasts enough. Tarantino recently joined The Ringer's The Rewatchables (one of my favorite podcasts) to do both Dunkirk and Unstoppable, and his praise of and enthusiasm for Nolan and Tony Scott, respectively, is just infectious. It helps to have seen both movies recently (I rewatched each for both podcasts), but the conversations are entertaining even if it's been a while since you've seen either...

https://www.theringer.com/2020/1/6/21054017/the-rewatchables-quentin-tarantino-on-what-makes-dunkirk-a-masterpiece

https://www.theringer.com/2020/1/9/21057968/unstoppable-with-quentin-tarantino-bill-simmons-and-chris-ryan
i love the rewatchables pod too and think they do a good job rotating the cast. sometimes i want to hear Fennessey break down a film and other times i just want Chris Ryan and Bill to be mindless fans.

i've only listened to the unstoppable pod with QT, but it was awesome. loved hearing his take on it.

haven't listened to dunkirk yet because i somehow haven't seen it.

but thanks for sharing
The Milkman
AG
I know yall seem to think any review that isn't positive doesn't need to be posted, but I thought I'd put my thoughts out there in case there are others like me.

I watched this last night because it had Leo, Pitt and Margot Robbie. Heard it was good. Thats really all I knew.

As general background I'm 33, have heard of Manson as a serial killer, but had 0 idea of anything he did, who he killed, how he did it, that he had a cult of people etc. Also no real knowledge, interest, or fascination with old-school hollywood. Luckily my dad who was falling in and out of sleep was there to chime in and tell me that some of the characters were real people.

I guess its good because everyone seems to say it is, but I just didnt get it. As others have said it didn't really have a plot. It showed Leo and Pitt's relationship as friends, cut to them working, cut to Margot Robbie watching herself in the movies, repeat.

Though, the last 10 minutes or so were entertaining.
BQ78
AG
Finally watched this last night. I enjoyed the journey but when I got to the end, did not like the destination particularly.

Am I the only one bothered by the fact that in just six months, Rick made four films, they were released and he became a big star again? Should Tarantino have backed the first part into 1968, instead of Feb '69?
Sex Panther
AG
TCTTS said:

And yet, I don't see anyone else here posting their copy of this...

Hey TC, do you know any way to get a copy of this? I really want it, but it's sold out everywhere. I guess I wasn't paying attention when it first released.

Edit: I thought this was the Collector's Edition. Doesn't appear to be it though... And I thought you were a fan.
schmendeler
AG
BQ78 said:

Finally watched this last night. I enjoyed the journey but when I got to the end, did not like the destination particularly.

Am I the only one bothered by the fact that in just six months, Rick made four films, they were released and he became a big star again? Should Tarantino have backed the first part into 1968, instead of Feb '69?
he made four films in Italy. i'm imagining medium-low budgets films they churned out. I don't think he became a big star. because he was having to let Cliff go because he didn't have enough money to keep him. he was selling his house and maybe buying a condo. those aren't things he would do if he was a big star now.

the point of the ending (to me) with him meeting Sharon Tate is that he might now really get his career off the ground. so it was a happy ending for both of them.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
BQ78 said:

Here is Rick Dalton's filmography - from this source https://screenrant.com/once-upon-time-hollywood-rick-dalton-movies-shows-filmography/:

Operazione Dyn-O-Mite! (1970) - Jason
Hell's Boats (1970) - Lt. Cmdr. Jeffords
Red Blood, Red Skin (1970) - Romeo Douglas
Nebraska Jim (1970) - Nebraska Jim
Kill Me Quick, Ringo, Said The Gringo (1969) - Ringo
Lancer (TV Series) (1969) - "Pilot" - Caleb DeCoteau
F.B.I. (TV Series) (1969) - "All The Streets Are Silent" - Michael Murtaugh
Land of the Giants (TV Series) (1968) - "Capture" - Dr. David Hellstrom
Bingo Martin (TV Series) (1967) - "Heck to Pay" - Rocky Ryan
The Green Hornet (TV Series) (1967) - "Hornet Hunter" - Thompson Shaw
Tarzan (TV Series) (1967) - "Jewel of the Jungle" - Brick Bedford
Salty, The Talking Sea Otter (1967) - Jed Martin
The 14 Fists of McClusky (1966) - Sgt. Mike Lewis
Tanner (TV Movie) (1965) - Joe Tanner
Hullabaloo (TV Series) (1965) - Guest Star, Himself
Hellfire, Texas (1964) - Major Travis Jackson
Big Game (1963) - Randy Wilson
Commanche Uprising (1961) - Lt. Warwick Winston
Red Apple Cigarettes Commercial - Himself
Bounty Law (TV Series) (1959-1963) - Jake Cahill

Why is it assumed to be 6 months? Starting with Ringo . I see 5 films over maybe 15 months from 1969 through 1970. Don't know when they were filmed is that something said in the movie specifically? I think a spaghetti western or B movie every 3 months isn't unreasonable at that time.

schmendeler
AG
I need to see "Salty, The Talking Sea Otter (1967) - Jed Martin"
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

Kill Me Quick, Ringo, Said The Gringo (1969) - Ringo
This title is hilarious.
TCTTS
AG
Sex Panther said:

TCTTS said:

Hey TC, do you know any way to get a copy of this? I really want it, but it's sold out everywhere. I guess I wasn't paying attention when it first released.

Edit: I thought this was the Collector's Edition. Doesn't appear to be it though... And I thought you were a fan.

Damn it, I didn't even know that existed.
TCTTS
AG

https://theplaylist.net/quentin-tarantino-bounty-law-direct-20200116/
TCTTS
AG
This is incredible. Excerpt from Tarantino's third The Rewatchables pod (King of New York)...

TCTTS
AG
jackie childs said:

TCTTS said:

i love the rewatchables pod too and think they do a good job rotating the cast. sometimes i want to hear Fennessey break down a film and other times i just want Chris Ryan and Bill to be mindless fans.

i've only listened to the unstoppable pod with QT, but it was awesome. loved hearing his take on it.

haven't listened to dunkirk yet because i somehow haven't seen it.

but thanks for sharing

Exactly my feelings as well.
Sex Panther
AG
TCTTS said:

Sex Panther said:

TCTTS said:

Damn it, I didn't even know that existed.

If you think that's a ridiculous purchase, I am currently awaiting this to arrive on my doorstep:

TCTTS
AG
This is an amazing purchase.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I knew there was a reason I hadn't bought this movie yet.

This is now on my purchase list. Thanks for posting.

Edit: Damn, this seems to be sold out everywhere. Where did you buy it?
Sex Panther
AG
Just a heads up, this is strictly the soundtrack on vinyl. And it is pretty absurd in how much it costs. I'll probably get ridiculed by Junkhead. But yeah, I'm super pumped for it.

https://once-upon-a-time-in-hollywood-us.myshopify.com/products/once-upon-a-time-in-hollywood-exclusive-deluxe-lp-poster-pack

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.