***ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD***

183,673 Views | 1255 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by aTmAg
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I hate to see him retire, but if he's really exhausted his creativity, I do hope he closes with Kill Bill Vol 3. I love those movies.
Mr. White
I want to see Pink shooting his way out of an impossible situation, getting picked up by Esmeralda Villalobos, hiding out for a few years, and then teaming up with Butch.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Name does NOT check out.
PatAg
AG
that's bizarre
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
hph6203
AG
Because it's so accurate it needs no further explanation? RDJ has been in Sherlock Holmes or Iron Man almost exclusively for a decade. You may enjoy those movies and they may make a ton of money, but it's not exactly a way to show your range as an actor.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Leo doesn't have an agent? Wow.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
One of the better interviews of QT I've seen. Solid interviewer.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brad Pitt seems like such a cool, genuine dude. Not that Leo or QT don't, but if you give me a choice, Brad's the dude I'd want to have a beer with.
Sex Panther
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Brad Pitt seems like such a cool, genuine dude. Not that Leo or QT don't, but if you give me a choice, Brad's the dude I'd want to have a beer with.

I'll take Margot
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Knew this would be the first response.
Liquid Wrench
Sex Panther said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

I'll take Margot
She seems cool for a girl. You know, like you could hang out with her.
Liquid Wrench
The stuff about the relationships between the actor and the stunt double made me think of Robert Redford and Mickey Gilbert.

If yall haven't seen this, you might like this little featurette they made for The Old Man & The Gun. Interesting history between them.

Quote:

Redford says he was surprised when his old friend Mickey Gilbert showed up on location: "I wasn't expecting to see him .. it was such a feeling of camaraderie and regained friendship." The two attended high school together. Years later, Gilbert served as stunt double for Redford on Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid; after that, they worked together on everything Redford did.
https://www.fandango.com/movie-news/watch-exclusive-the-old-man-and-the-gun-featurette-sundance-kids-reunited-753428
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Can't wait for this one.

Have kind of tempered my expectations a bit, since most reviews I've seen on youtube seem to fall into the "really good but not quite great" category. The ending seems to be divisive.

Then again, QT's movies are almost always movies that get better with age. Certainly the case with Basterds, Django, and Hateful 8, for me.

7:30 pm tomorrow cannot come soon enough.
Bunk Moreland
4pm tomorrow.

jackie childs
the ringer's had some pretty good QT content the last week or so leading up to the release
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Worth warning people who might not be big Tarantino fans - from everything I've heard and read, this movie is kind of plotless and more of a "day in the life" story.

This kind of thing doesn't really bother me, especially when we're sitting with Tarantino characters and dialogue, but it might not be for everyone.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Thanks for the heads up. Definitely checking out some of those podcasts.

https://www.theringer.com/movies/2019/7/23/20706896/celebrating-quentin-tarantino-week
BQ78
AG
Quote:

"day in the life" story.
So are you saying Sharon, Jay, Abigail and Steven don't die?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Gonna take a wild guess that Cliff Booth will use his stuntman expertise to beat the **** out of the Manson folks.
policywonk98
AG
hph6203 said:

Because it's so accurate it needs no further explanation? RDJ has been in Sherlock Holmes or Iron Man almost exclusively for a decade. You may enjoy those movies and they may make a ton of money, but it's not exactly a way to show your range as an actor.

Let's just set aside the fact that RDJ is 10 years older than LD. Not as big a deal in Hollywood for men as it is for women, but working 45-55 in Hollywood is much different than 35-45. Which has been the age range difference for the actors over the last decade.

No doubt RDJ waisted his prime years battling addiction. But if you dont think Iron Man, Tropic of Thunder, The Soloist, and Sherlock Holmes shows RDJ to have range, I dont know what to say. That's just the last 10 years. Over a career there are so many examples of characters RDJ pulled off that LD could never do or at least hasn't ever shown he could do. RDJ has always been both a dramatic and comedic force. And super hero was just added into the mix over the last decade. Albeit it's a super hero that plays to his personality strengths as an actor.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Social Media Influencer said:

Sex Panther said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

I'll take Margot
She seems cool for a girl. You know, like you could hang out with her.

I don't know, she has never seen a single Star Wars movie purely because she knows it makes people mad.

That eliminates like 60% of this board, including me, from having anything to talk about with her.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The article was really meant as more of a showcase of Leo having avoided superhero movies and blockbuster franchises for his entire career. I think you're taking the RDJ comments a little too seriously, though I agree maybe a little unnecessary.

But he is the prime example of the opposite of Leo, the face of the MCU.
Psychag
AG
I thought RDJ was great in Chaplin and Less than Zero. He created a diverse and complicated character for Tony Stark.
policywonk98
AG
Valid point. I get that.

The one thing I would argue(not with you, just the notion) is that while MCU made most of the actors in it a household name. I think RDJs turn as Tony Stark made Iron Man a household name and at least at the start, pulled non comic.book fans into the MCU journey that might have stayed away. A movie star does that in my book. Much like Harrison Ford and Han Solo/Indiana Jones. I'm not sure anyone will be able to imagine Iron Man played by any other actor until RDJ is dead and gone and even then it will be iffy.
Aggies76
AG
That's a great video! Thanks for posting it.
hph6203
AG
policywonk98 said:

hph6203 said:

Let's just set aside the fact that RDJ is 10 years older than LD. Not as big a deal in Hollywood for men as it is for women, but working 45-55 in Hollywood is much different than 35-45. Which has been the age range difference for the actors over the last decade.

No doubt RDJ waisted his prime years battling addiction. But if you dont think Iron Man, Tropic of Thunder, The Soloist, and Sherlock Holmes shows RDJ to have range, I dont know what to say. That's just the last 10 years. Over a career there are so many examples of characters RDJ pulled off that LD could never do or at least hasn't ever shown he could do. RDJ has always been both a dramatic and comedic force. And super hero was just added into the mix over the last decade. Albeit it's a super hero that plays to his personality strengths as an actor.

Tropic Thunder came out 11 years ago, The Soloist 10 years ago, since those movies came out he's been a bit part in The Chef (I assume, have never seen it), starred in The Judge and played Sherlock and Iron Man.

The comment wasn't that those guys were never good actors, or that they aren't good actors still, but that they've resigned themselves to collecting massive paychecks based upon their names and the franchises they're in rather than challenging themselves as actors to take something wholly new and making it critically if not commercially successful. I think RDJ is an excellent actor and he plays those parts extremely well, but that's three roles in 10 years with massive amounts of money supporting him.

Basically he's not Di Caprio in recent years who's films for the last 10 years are:
Once Upon A Time In Hollywood
The Revenant
Wolf of Wall Street
The Great Gatsby
Django Unchained
J Edgar
Inception
Shutter Island

No one is Di Caprio, the only other working actors that took on roles like that was Day-Lewis. I don't think he's the only movie star left as Brad Pitt and Tom Hanks are not still doing things. Difference is that Di Caprio will play both hero and villain.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Quote:

He hasn't acted in a film with a female director since 1995, which I don't think is an insignificant fact.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

He hadn't worked with a Mexican director until Revenant, you didn't hear me crying racism. (To this random Twitter person, not you.)

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.