***ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD***

184,662 Views | 1255 Replies | Last: 7 mo ago by aTmAg
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That was my first thought. Either Tex or the crazy hippie who slashes Cliff's/Rick's tire.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Holy ****, he would have been awesome as Tex.

That said, the guy they did get was great.
Complete Idiot
Probably the precocious young actor role that went to Julia Butters.

That was the best acting I've seen in my whole life! /kevinface
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I legit wish they had a Guest Actor Oscar like they do in the Emmys, just so she could win it.
PatAg
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Holy ****, he would have been awesome as Tex.

That said, the guy they did get was great.
The guy that played Tex killed it
Living Legend
AG
Finally got around to seeing this and was very disappointed.

Pretty much the entire movie was boring to me, aside from 3-4 scenes.

Really don't understand the hype at all. Nor do I understand how some people described it as "perfect".
TCTTS
AG
It's easy. I just typed the word out: "p-e-r-f-e-c-t"
PatAg
AG
Living Legend said:

Really don't understand the hype at all. Nor do I understand how some people described it as "perfect".
weird. You saw a movie and felt differently about it from others.
expresswrittenconsent
Living Legend said:

OK. Your opinion is valid and has been heard. We are still going to like it and discuss it.
TCTTS
AG
So I burn a lot of my favorite Blu-rays to an exterior hard drive for easy access research and also because I screenshot a lot of stills for pdf pitch decks my company uses to pitch projects. The source files are massive mkv files, but a while back I finally figured out how to edit certain sequences from the mkvs and convert to Quicktime for pure joy/rewatchabality purposes. Anyway, earlier today, a buddy of mine and I were talking about all the great driving/music montages in OUATIH, so I decided to pull my three favorites and figured I'd post them here as well, all in perfect, 1080p Blu-ray quality for your instant rewatching pleasure...

Sequence 1 - Cliff Drives Home
https://wetransfer.com/downloads/bc480ba374313595959e3eeffd3368a820200214083432/4ea867

Sequence 2 - California Dreamin'
https://wetransfer.com/downloads/1d6490c75b04a38da77926f73892e21420200214083657/f67e67

Sequence 3 - Out of Time
https://wetransfer.com/downloads/5f32a62199e9b26ef320f09a8856139620200214083940/334dd4

Really, just over the past week or so, I think this has become an all-time top ten movie for me. I just want to live in every frame of it, and it's made me appreciate present-day LA more than I ever have. I've never fallen more and more in love with a movie over time like this, and I was obsessed with it from the very first time I saw it.
TCTTS
AG
(The links apparently expire in seven days, so get them while they're hot.)
BrazosBendHorn
I love OUATIH.

I also love that the folks at CinemaSins recently released their Everything Wrong With episode on OUATIH ...

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I love that little meta moment that starts the climax of the movie, with the close-up of the tv.

"And now, the moment you've all been waiting for..."
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
double aught
AG
TCTTS said:

So many great moments little like that. Another is when Cliff puts the beer can in the tool holster, right before he fixes the antenna.

My favorite random moment of the whole movie, though, is Rick's FBI commentary when he and Cliff are watching his episode. It's like Tarantino's version of a director commentary on a DVD. Just Rick, half drunk, half mumbling about Malibu, that one guy being a ***** assh*le, and then immediately following that up by saying the dead guy, though, was a "Real good guy." I was cracking up so much at all of that.
I finally saw it this weekend. I really enjoyed it, and the more I think about it, the more I love it. My favorite aspect was the friendship between Rick and Cliff. I kept waiting for the stereotypical conflict to arise between them, but it never happened. Just two friends who cared about each other. For that reason I think my favorite scene is the one TC mentioned. The commentary from the two of them was hilarious to me. "Uh-oh. Here comes trouble!"
1997 AG
AG
I too was late to the party and just caught this streaming this weekend. I think it would be hard to fully appreciate the movie without knowledge of the Tate murders. I happen to have researched quite a bit about the Manson family and that night in the past. What got me the entire film was the contrast of the light-hearted nature of much of it all the while this horrible event is building in the background. That tension made it more enjoyable for me. And knowing how reality ended, I slept better with QT's ending.
aTmAg
AG
Watched it last night because I got Stars (or whatever channel it was) for free.

Overrated. Was pretty damned boring.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
aTmAg said:

Watched it last night because I got Stars (or whatever channel it was) for free.

Overrated. Was pretty damned boring.
aTmAg
AG
Margot Robbie is a smoke show, however.

Edit: and I can see how Bruce Lee's family is pissed. He came off as a jackass. And he said that Muhammad Ali would kick his ass, not the other way around.
oragator
Could have easily taken 45 minutes out of that movie and lost nothing. But I guess when you QT no one tells you no.
The Bruce Lee stuff was insulting, and the entire movie, the first 2 plus hours was basically a giant Macguffin to get to the the inevitable QT bloodbath.
Well shot, great performances but overall I just don't get the QT worship.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I don't think you understand the concept of a macguffin. There wasn't one in this movie.

An actual macguffin is something/someone that the plot revolves around and is directly driving or influencing the characters.
citizenkane06
AG
I loved this movie. The DiCaprio character is the first time in QT where I really empathized with the character, and the story had a genuinely happy ending for him that made me leave feeling uplifted.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
oragator said:

Could have easily taken 45 minutes out of that movie and lost nothing. But I guess when you QT no one tells you no.
The Bruce Lee stuff was insulting, and the entire movie, the first 2 plus hours was basically a giant Macguffin to get to the the inevitable QT bloodbath.
Well shot, great performances but overall I just don't get the QT worship.

There isn't a macguffin in this movie in ANY way shape of form.

You could say the first 2+ hours are 2 things:

1. an in depth character study where 1960's Hollywood is the character
2. an actors canvas for some great performances

This wasn't really like any other Tarantino film - for at least 2+ hours - it had neither the very specific and tight plot element of most of his movies (a heist, a crime, a mission, a revenge story, a gathering of criminal elements, etc). nor did it have the kind of violence he normally has in abundance (until the end of course).

But from every film making and acting perspective it's really a masterpiece. The setting, the cinematography, the attention to detail etc. are just amazing and the way he went in depth to include all the film within a film and behind the scenes scenarios was just really really "meaty" for an actor like DiCaprio and Pitt and even Tate to some degree. Those things are an actors dream to play.

It doesn't mean you have to like it or even appreciate it. But those that do, love it for those reasons mostly. imho

For me it was just a joy to watch - and you say 45+ minutes could be cut - for me I can't wait for the 4+ hour extended edition. I would be very happy seeing even more of it. Going in depth in that world was the appetizer for me and the performances were the main course. The culmination scene was just sort of icing on the cake - expected because it is Tarantino. But the previous 2+ hours made the film for me because it wasn't just like every other Tarantino and it was so well done.

but... to each his own.
oragator
If people like it, that's cool, just saying I don't understand it the love.
I used MacGuffin semi facetiously. Was making the point that his entire plot is usually designed to get to a particularly gory scene or two. The plot itself doesn't much matter in the end. It's about style, some neat visual devices (in this case the Great Escape scene was cool and unique). The black and white narrow screen to open, the colors and light music against the dire ending we know is coming...I appreciate all that. But plot wise, what was there actually for two hours and 45 minutes?
Won't belabor it, just my initial reaction on seeing it.
PatAg
AG
oragator said:

If people like it, that's cool, just saying I don't understand it the love.
I used MacGuffin semi facetiously. Was making the point that his entire plot is usually designed to get to a particularly gory scene or two. The plot itself doesn't much matter in the end. It's about style, some neat visual devices (in this case the Great Escape scene was cool and unique). The black and white narrow screen to open, the colors and light music against the dire ending we know is coming...I appreciate all that. But plot wise, what was there actually for two hours and 45 minutes?
Won't belabor it, just my initial reaction on seeing it.

The plot was about as easy to follow as it can get. It primarily follows an actor at a transition point in his career, which is also during a cultural transition for the industry and country. It also follows the impact this has on his stuntman/best friend.

I feel like I have typed something to this effect a lot lately, but it's ok to not like a movie. It's ok to say why you didn't like a movie. It's not ok to state something as a fact, when it's either not true or is just an opinion

You either found Rick's story(and Hollywoods) interesting or you didn't.
MooreTrucker
AG
Finally got around to watching this. I thought it was great. I have some questions but will read the thread first, just in case.

BTW, having seen it, the front page of this thread is hilarious with all the condemnations of QT and the terribly wrong "leaked" info from Birdnest or whatever the name was.
Duncan Idaho
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I don't think you understand the concept of a macguffin. There wasn't one in this movie.

An actual macguffin is something/someone that the plot revolves around and is directly driving or influencing the characters.

E g. The briefcase in pulp fiction.
oragator
Whos Juan
AG
citizenkane06 said:

I loved this movie. The DiCaprio character is the first time in QT where I really empathized with the character, and the story had a genuinely happy ending for him that made me leave feeling uplifted.
Not for the hippies, that's for sure.
oragator
I didn't say that the plot was hard to follow or I didn't understand it, in fact it the opposite - I was saying that for two hours and forty five minutes of run time it was minimal. That's not exactly stating something that isn't obvious, I could fast forward through whole scenes and not miss anything I would need later, QT spends his time on other devices. 5-10 minutes of screen time having Tate watch herself on screen, 20 minutes or more for the scene at the ranch etc. And little changed the whole movie among the main characters after the initial exposition - character study to some extent yes (Tate was barely explored, Pitt only marginally) great visuals combined with music yes, some innovative ideas in telling a story yes, deep or intricate plot in this case, no.

But I am not going to keep saying it, so I will just be glad many of you liked it.
Duncan Idaho
The scene at the ranch when he was trying to see George was a master class in suspense...with the most unexpected outcome
Duncan Idaho
Out of curiosity, did you like mad men?
oragator
I watched a season of it. Thought it was well written but not really for me. Stopped after the first year.
Sex Panther
AG
Sidebar... I randomly watched the first episode of Mad Men while scrolling through Netflix yesterday. Man that show is amazing.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.