***ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD***

183,670 Views | 1255 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by aTmAg
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Most blurays come with a digital copy.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

Great stuff.
Al Bula
AG
Caught this on a long haul flight. Actually would have turned it off had I known this was nothing more than QT alternative history/fan fiction.

Definitely the worst overall Tarantino picture. The acting is top notch but the overall story is not cohesive and is just moronic. Best stop here before offending any sensitive inhabitants of this board. This movie was terrible but not ban-worthy.

What a complete waste of time. Kudos though to the cast for laughing all the way to the bank.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Shife said:

Caught this on a long haul flight. Actually would have turned it off had I known this was nothing more than QT alternative history/fan fiction.

Definitely the worst overall Tarantino picture. The acting is top notch but the overall story is not cohesive and is just moronic. Best stop here before offending any sensitive inhabitants of this board. This movie was terrible but not ban-worthy.

What a complete waste of time. Kudos though to the cast for laughing all the way to the bank.

So you were unaware that a fictional movie with fictional characters was going to be fictional and not a docudrama because it had a few side characters that were real people?

And given Tarantino's history you assumed THIS TIME he was going to be historically accurate?

Seems like your expectations were set up for disappointment. I just can't imagine going into a Tarantino movie and expecting historical accuracy. As for laughing all the way to the bank - QT keeps budgets very low and most people work with him because thy want to not because it's a huge payday for them. You can find many articles about Pitt and DiCaprio taking paycuts for this role. And all the many many side roles were likely much lower than those stars typical pay.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

Actually would have turned it off had I known this was nothing more than QT alternative history/fan fiction.

You mean the thing he's done in every one of his period movies?
Liquid Wrench
I guess I went into this one with a decent idea of what to expect from watching the interviews.

It's surprised me to read comments by people who went in knowing nothing about Manson or Tate. And I definitely wouldn't go in expecting history.

I agree about the movie lacking cohesion at times. But I tend to think most movies over 2.5 hours long could be trimmed without taking anything away from the story.
PatAg
AG
Shife said:

If you felt like the story wasn't cohesive, perhaps you were too inebriated or on pills to follow along. Not liking Tarantino's style is fine, but that doesnt seem to be your issue.
Phat32
AG
"The ****in hippies aren't" was the best line
AquaCasaAg
AG
I went into this nervous having read the criticisms that the film is meandering and pointless.

I though it was great and really enjoyed the ride. It sits as a mid-tier QT film for me behind Pulp, Inglorious and Django. I would put this ahead of the Kill Bill films, Hateful Eight and Jackie Brown.

The following scenes were spectacular:
The trailer scene when Rick is having a tantrum meltdown since he can't remember his lines (great job by Leo)
The tension when Cliff is insisting to see George at the ranch - then insisting on the tire repair
The Bruce Lee fight
Silky Johnston
Watched this last night and did not enjoy it at all until the last 30 minutes or so. I guess I don't get the appeal, but I didn't like this movie. I think Tarantino is vastly overrated and this just solidified it for me.
Complete Idiot
Silky Johnston said:

Watched this last night and did not enjoy it at all until the last 30 minutes or so. I guess I don't get the appeal, but I didn't like this movie. I think Tarantino is vastly overrated and this just solidified it for me.

Obviously tastes differ person to person. If posting a negative review it helps others if you maybe say what about it you didn't like and list recent movies you do like, so others with your taste who haven't seen the movie can make a decision about watching it.

Otherwise a "it's not good" review isn't very helpful and just rubs fans the wrong way.
cbr
AG
Wycliffe_03 said:

Bunk Moreland said:

Uncle Gunnysack said:

powerbelly51 said:

So he is just out of ideas?
just out of balls. his 10th film was just served up on a platter for him, "hollywood sex offenders and their hypocrisy".

Tarentino's entire career was made possible by Weinstein and Miramax. I think it'd come across as pretty hollow to try anything on that narrative because most logical people know tarentino knew a ton of the dark secrets and kept his mouth shut for decades.
Also, imagine the creepy and shady sh** Tarentino's been involved in behind the scenes. Bet Uma's got some stories to tell. Dude has a foot fetish...nuff said.
A footrub definitely means something though, you have to admit.
cbr
AG
Complete Idiot said:

Silky Johnston said:

Obviously tastes differ person to person. If posting a negative review it helps others if you maybe say what about it you didn't like and list recent movies you do like, so others with your taste who haven't seen the movie can make a decision about watching it.

Otherwise a "it's not good" review isn't very helpful and just rubs fans the wrong way.

Spoiler alert - below

Its absurd. It seems to be deliberately b movie bad. Thus it was entertaining.

Whipping bruce lee's ass on set? That's funny.

And who hasnt wanted to torch some obnoxious ***** in your pool for crying out loud?
Whos Juan
AG
cbr said:

Wycliffe_03 said:

Bunk Moreland said:

Uncle Gunnysack said:

powerbelly51 said:

So he is just out of ideas?
just out of balls. his 10th film was just served up on a platter for him, "hollywood sex offenders and their hypocrisy".

Tarentino's entire career was made possible by Weinstein and Miramax. I think it'd come across as pretty hollow to try anything on that narrative because most logical people know tarentino knew a ton of the dark secrets and kept his mouth shut for decades.
Also, imagine the creepy and shady sh** Tarentino's been involved in behind the scenes. Bet Uma's got some stories to tell. Dude has a foot fetish...nuff said.
A footrub definitely means something though, you have to admit.

I can't let this go unrecognized. Bravo.
Philo B 93
This movie was too long for me. Here's a great movie within this movie:
1. Bruce Lee scene
2. Rick Dalton in the Trailer mad at himself scene
3. Spare Tire scene (excluding the rest of the Spawn Ranch scene)
4. 10 minutes of Margot Robbie driving around Hollywood in 1969
5. The entire ending from Rick Dalton telling the hippies to get off his street.

Boom. 70 minute runtime (2 hours with theater trailers / commercials).

Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Philo B 93 said:

This movie was too long for me. Here's a great movie within this movie:
1. Bruce Lee scene
2. Rick Dalton in the Trailer mad at himself scene
3. Spare Tire scene (excluding the rest of the Spawn Ranch scene)
4. 10 minutes of Margot Robbie driving around Hollywood in 1969
5. The entire ending from Rick Dalton telling the hippies to get off his street.

Boom. 70 minute runtime (2 hours with theater trailers / commercials).

Hmmmm... I'm looking forward to the 4 hour extended version personally.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I enjoyed it but it's way down my list of QT movies.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
So basically you would remove the Rick/Cliff relationship entirely, which is the main point of the movie.
Philo B 93
What was the point of everything that wasn't Rick/Cliff? Margot Robbie is hot, which is why she hosts my 10 minute 1969 segment.

Was that to appeal to the female demographic? Correct me if I'm wrong, but Tarantino doesn't have a female demographic.
jr15aggie
AG
Convinced my wife to watch this. She actually stayed up and didn't fall asleep. But Rofl, what the hell was that? By the end I'm laughing my ass off as the movie went completely nuts.

I don't think she hated it though.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brad Pitt with the Golden Globe win!
Sex Panther
AG
Wow Leo upset by Rocketman
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Agreed but I can see that one. It's a much bigger, flashier, more bombastic performance, and his singing was great. I doubt he has a shot at the Oscar though.
Sex Panther
AG
I actually haven't seen it, or really heard anything about it. Taron is a really good actor, I just didn't even know he was nominated before tonight. After Brad won I assumed Leo would. He's still my current favorite for the Oscar. (Haven't seen Marriage Story and don't really want to, but I've been told Driver is the actual front runner)
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Right now I'm leaning 60/40 towards Driver winning but I think Leo could pick up steam in this awards season stretch if he starts racking up some wins.
TCTTS
AG
Hell yes.
Sex Panther
AG
Nice win, against a legitimately strong field too
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Nice!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Huh, weird that only Margot and Jula Butters were on stage but not Brad or Leo.
Eliminatus
AG
So, I tend to love or hate QT films. Nothing in between so far.

This was beyond terrible for me. An absolute chore to sit through.

I know negative views are trolling but man, this was such a ridiculous, disjointed story. The acting itself was good to great. No dispute there. But the script was just....bad. A few good scenes of course. But overall a pointless movie IMO. Agree with the length being a hindrance wholeheartedly. I respect everyone's opinions of course about the movie. Just wasn't my thing. But I will fight and die on the movie was way too long hill.
wealeat09
AG
That's the point. Haha
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.