***ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD***

184,549 Views | 1255 Replies | Last: 7 mo ago by aTmAg
Duncan Idaho
How long do you want to ignore this user?
bearamedic99 said:

For all the peeps noticing the word Hullabaloo, did you miss its color?

Racist. I don't see color.
Geriatric Punk
AG
First off - huge Tarantino fan.

That said, I'm usually super jacked about one of his movies coming out. After watching the trailer for this one, I'm a little leery. Maybe it is because I didn't get the warm fuzzies after Hateful 8, so I am a bit more skeptical about his next one. Hateful 8 was a good film and had plenty of what makes QT great, but it was a little too in love with itself for it to be "great" (ie- rewatchable on repeat) for me. Anyone else feel the same way?

Don't get me wrong: I will see this in the theatre. I'm just trying to keep my expectations low.
Life's an endless party, not a pushcart.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Prediction time.

Which 60's song will they use in the first trailer?

My [probably too obvious] guesses:
1. California Dreamin' by Mamas and the Papas
2. Crimson and Clover by Tommy James and the Shondells

Sharon Tate hanging with Mama Cass @1:02 in the trailer.
I didn't realize the song in the trailer was Mamas and the Papas. Do I get half credit?

Makes perfect sense QT would go for a more obscure track.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Comment on youtube mentions Leo & Pitt are likely gay. Hadn't considered it but it almost seems obvious when you think about it, considering they're roommates.

Would be interesting for sure. Adds a whole other level of commentary into Hollywood (especially in the 60's), with ultra-masculine actors who remain closeted so they can keep working.

Also makes that load joke all that much funnier.

Thoughts?

Also, trending #1 on Youtube today, nice. Strange that it's doing it the following day.
TCTTS
AG
A lot more Jans about to come out of the woodwork.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Yep.

It was a light bulb moment for me. And now I'm pretty convinced of it. QT always has something to say in his movies, whether it's about race, violence, etc. And he's never tackled sexuality. (Except for the male on male rape in PF and H8, I guess.)

What are your thoughts on that?
TCTTS
AG
Makes no difference to me. If QT does go down that road, though, I think it'll be subtle-ish. I don't think it'll be the centerpiece of the movie or anything like that. But yeah, I totally forgot about the roommates thing. Never even crossed my mind, but it makes total sense now.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
That would be interesting - I don't think Tarantino has really delved into the "gay scene" for lack of a better phrase.

He doesn't mind controversy though. And 60s Hollywood would have been a fertile ground for that while maintaining a masculine cover story- see Rock Hudson.

I was actually wondering why the "star" Leo would be giving the stunt man so much screen time in interviews. you usually never see that person that is behind the scenes. If he was doing a personal favor for his "friend" that might make sense.

Tarantino has also been renowned in a way for blatant use of racist epithets in his films. This could be his way of going down the insulting gay terminology route in dialogue. That would be interesting to see if he got "backlash" for that from hollywood and the press - his prolific use of the N word by black and white actors is kinda legendary and certainly stirs the pot..

Doesn't change my interest in the film one bit though.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I'm already seeing a scene in my head of someone throwing out homophobic slurs within earshot of Brad Pitt, and getting the **** beat out of him.
Duncan Idaho
That feeling when your joke becomes reality.

Hagen95
AG
Except there were no homophobic slurs in the 60s.
TCTTS
AG
Not official, but more in line with what the official marketing should be aiming for...

Sex Panther
AG
For those of you that follow Mondo, I would guess they are going to have some pretty fantastic prints for this movie eventually
MW03
AG
I don't like any of these posters, official or otherwise. If they wanted to emulate a style for what seems to be the feel of the movie from that era, I'm not sure I'm going with Cannon Ball Run 2. Give me something like:

Urban Ag
AG
So, the only other film Tarantino has done that is in a historical setting is Inglorious Basterds, which is by far my favorite from him. And that was an alternative history obviously. Anyone think the same liberties might be taken here? Maybe they kill Manson is retaliation. Maybe they stop the murders or some of the murders from even happening? Maybe Sharon Tate survives and with the help of Pitt and DiCaprio, extracts her revenge on the Manson cult?

Cause, you know, that would be pretty awesome.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Whatever happens, Bruce Lee will be involved.
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

Relevant:
3:15
4:35

One important point - It's not about the Manson killings, it's about the 60's.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
https://instagr.am/p/Bxkc0X3gUeM
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
https://instagr.am/p/Bxp0C6hgPV9
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I find it very interesting that QT is asking for no spoilers to be leaked.

On one hand, it may be standard practice? But on the other, his movies don't really seem like the kind of movie ripe for spoilers, unless there's a big twist in the story.

Makes me wonder if that theory I posted about might be real...
boogieman
AG
Good stuff!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
This is gonna be so good.
Gigem314
AG
"Anybody order fried sauerkraut!!!"

Oh yeah I can't wait for this.
bangobango
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I find it very interesting that QT is asking for no spoilers to be leaked.

On one hand, it may be standard practice? But on the other, his movies don't really seem like the kind of movie ripe for spoilers, unless there's a big twist in the story.

Makes me wonder if that theory I posted about might be real...
I think you will see a lot more movies do this moving forward, I think there is a thought that it helps boost opening weekend box office ("see it before your spoiled online by accident!").
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

Let me just say, if you think you know what you are going to see, think again. Yes, the usual heavy doses of violence endemic to QT films are here, including one scene that had this very tony black-tie Cannes crowd cheering like they were in a grindhouse. At its heart it is a Butch and Sundance for a new generation, taking two superstars in their prime and pairing them dynamically for the first time.
https://deadline.com/2019/05/quentin-tarantino-once-upon-a-time-in-hollywood-cannes-premierence-pitt-dicaprio-robbie-superb-1202620071/

And got a 7 minute standing ovation.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.