***ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD***

183,726 Views | 1255 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by aTmAg
AgLaw
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
PatAg said:

AgLaw said:

I'm a big Leo and Brad Pitt fan. Both do a great job of finding roles that fit who i think they must be unreal life.
Brad Pitt's only real misstep for a long time was Meet Joe Black

Agree. But Thelma and Louise, A River Runs Through It and Legends of the Fall give him some leeway.
Corporal Punishment
AG
Pretty much agree with all the sentiments posted so far.

I'll never see a flamethrower again without laughing my ass off.

What a treat to see a QT film on opening night.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Did you read my last sentence?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
"Is everybody ok?"

"Well those ****ing hippies aren't."
Bruce Almighty
AG
Wow, Armond White gave this a good review. He never gives Tarantino a good review.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I knew I recognized Dalton's wife. Eli Roth's wife, from Knock Knock.
Bunk Moreland
Tons of folks all throughout.

Kevin Smith's daughter was one of the hippies. Michael Madsen with a small role. Charles Manson was Dewey Crowe from Justified. Obviously Olyphant.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Tons of QT easter eggs.

The restaurant they were at called Vega Cafe.

One of Dalton's movies was directed by Antonio Margheriti. ("MARGHERIIIIIIITIII.")

Mention of Audi Murphy. (The basis for Frederick Zoller.)

I guess Maya Hawke can be considered one?

I'm sure plenty more I'm forgetting.
J182
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

Wow, Armond White gave this a good review. He never gives Tarantino a good review.
Armond White is a chode.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Opened up his review out of curiosity. In the opening paragraph --
Quote:

The lurid premise is typical for Tarantino, whose previous films sprang from private whimsy and were executed with sadistic license proof of an adolescent mentality disconnected from adult experience and human feeling.

QT's celebrated canon Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown, the Kill Bill diptych, Inglourious Basterds, Django Unchained, and The Hateful Eight are all movies for moral idiots.
Aaaand closed.
aTmAg
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Opened up his review out of curiosity. In the opening paragraph --
Quote:

The lurid premise is typical for Tarantino, whose previous films sprang from private whimsy and were executed with sadistic license proof of an adolescent mentality disconnected from adult experience and human feeling.

QT's celebrated canon Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown, the Kill Bill diptych, Inglourious Basterds, Django Unchained, and The Hateful Eight are all movies for moral idiots.
Aaaand closed.
Written by a guy who couldn't direct a high school play effectively.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I had a feeling that this would be his highest earner.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

Tons of folks all throughout.

Kevin Smith's daughter was one of the hippies. Michael Madsen with a small role. Charles Manson was Dewey Cox from Justified. Obviously Olyphant.

Dewey Crowe from Justified. Dewey Cox was the name of John C Reilley's character from Walk Hard.
Bunk Moreland
lolol. Yes Crowe
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Already thinking about doing viewing #2 tonight...
johnnyblaze36
AG
Just got out of it. Had high expectations after seeing it at 9.1 on IMDB today after 12,000 reviews and just some random people on twitter saying how exceptional it was.

I went solo and left saying to myself "meh" but the best part was these two grey haired ladies probably in their mid-sixties walking out in front of me and one looked at the other and said "That was absolutely the worst movie I have ever seen in my life. What the heck?". I laughed out loud. Take the demographic fwiw.

Solid acting and cool cinematography of course but not a film I'd ever care to sit through again (although I could just sit and stare at Margot Robbie for the rest of my life. Hot damn).
Claude!
The anus is on you to get that right.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Claude! said:

The anus is on you to get that right.

That's a pretty high stakes situation.
johnnyblaze36
AG
How do I add a spoiler tag? There was one thing I wanted to point out that took me about two minutes of wrecking my brain to figure out who it was when in the theater until it hit me and I just confirmed I was right.

The extremely brief appearance of Martin Kove aka John Kreese. After being on a massive Cobra Kai lately I loved that.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
(Sp) text (/sp)

Replace with brackets
johnnyblaze36
Bunk Moreland
that's funny. We sat next to 2 folks in their 70's easily and they were pretty good until the final scene, when she had to cover her eyes and kept saying "oh my"

But I think they overall enjoyed it.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The ending got some nice audible reactions in my theater.

And lots of laughs when the acid cigarette kicked in.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Welp, now I'm definitely going again.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
https://instagr.am/p/B0WDfRLhqa1
Duncan Idaho
ATM1876 said:

FYI for those who haven't seen it or made a mad dash to the restroom as soon as the credits started to roll, there's a mid-credits scene that's absolutely hilarious.

Like I am falling for this again. /ttcts
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Was gonna push off the second viewing but your comment put me over the edge. Just bought a ticket for a late showing tonight. Thanks ATM.
Corporal Punishment
AG
I missed that scene
johnnyblaze36
AG
Corporal Punishment said:

I missed that scene
Same here and I sat there for a minute wondering if I should stick around. .

And after having more time to reflect on the film, I think my "meh" opinion was a bit too reactionary. Not that my opinion matters to anybody regarding seeing it but it was better than meh, maybe just not as good as I'd hoped.

But after thinking about some of the scenes there is some really good stuff in it. My rating would probably 7/10.
Jim01
AG
The first 40 minutes took some settling into. I'm a film geek so I find it hard to not analyze as I watch sometimes, but after the first 40 I got lost in the world of it.

Great performances from Pitt and DiCaprio.

Someone mentioned the dialog and I too thought to myself "there isn't nearly as much talking in this as his usual films."

The scene with Bruce Lee was awesome.

The end was bonkers in an amazing way. The theatre I was in was losing it in tall the right spots.

Overall really really enjoyed it. Tarantino is one of my all time favorites so it will take some time before it settles into a place.

I caught the credit scene and it was good for a laugh.
Gomer95
AG
I saw it tonight and liked it a lot. For me I would put it somewhere in the middle of all the Tarantino movies and while it's not something I could rewatch frequently over and over, I liked it and will watch it again on video. Jackie Brown is the only one of his movies I didn't care for and I know it's a lot of people's favorite but I just saw it for the first time a few months ago and was bored throughout. This one was good though with a ton of recognizable stars in it. If you're a Tarantino fan, check it out.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.