***ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD***

186,384 Views | 1255 Replies | Last: 7 mo ago by aTmAg
Zombie Jon Snow
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
aTmAg said:

Zombie Jon Snow said:

people make movies about historical figures....even bad ones.....go figure.

So you wouldn't criticize a movie that glorifies teen suicide? Even if it causes a spike in suicide?

I'd like to know how you "know" that this glorifies Manson in any way first? A single 1 second shot of his character told you it does?

As for teen suicide movies - 13 Reasons Why was kinda criticised for that. I don't know as I didn't see it - but I know this: I wouldn't be on a message board (especially before release) having not seen the movie and blasting the movie for promoting teen suicide when I don't know any context.

In general though - I don't think movies cause spikes in anything - I like to think people are more strong willed than that. If they are not....well they shouldn't go outside or go do anything. There are movies about serial killers, murderers, suicides, war, arsonists, robbers, domestic abusers, gamblers, drug addicts, terrorists and politicians. You can't avoid all the evil unless you want to just watch cartoons maybe.
TCTTS
AG
You're going down a deep, dark hole with this dude. Logic does not apply in his thinking, and he gets off on criticizing movies he hasn't seen, based on next to no evidence. This is his schtick. We should all take SP's advice and just ignore or block him.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I'm going to stop watching Game of Thrones because it showed a teenager committing suicide.

Poor Tommen...
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I'm going to stop watching Game of Thrones because it showed a teenager committing suicide.

Poor Tommen...

Teenage Suicide - Tommen
Infanticide - killing all the ******* babies of Robert
Incest - Jamie and Cersei
Mutilation - flaying by the Boltons
Mass Murder - blowing up the sept
Animal Torture - dragons chained up
Human Torture - Septa Unella and the Sand Snakes+Ellia
Rape is condoned - Cerei, Brienne (attempted), Ser Meryn Trant liked 'em young and innocent
Child abuse - crippling Bran, other children killed for no reason
Human sacrifice - by Caster
Treason - Ser Alliser Thorne and all the NW betraying Jon
Blood Magic - Mirri Maz Duur and Melissandre both
Castration - poor Theon

How anyone can watch that show is beyond me - it promotes nothing but violence and sinister acts.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
That promotes dancing which is a SIN.

I'm protesting this movie.
AR_Ag95
AG
what is that from w/ Leo?
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
It's from this same movie - in the preview just released.
aTmAg
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

aTmAg said:

Zombie Jon Snow said:

So you wouldn't criticize a movie that glorifies teen suicide? Even if it causes a spike in suicide?

I'd like to know how you "know" that this glorifies Manson in any way first? A single 1 second shot of his character told you it does?

As for teen suicide movies - 13 Reasons Why was kinda criticised for that. I don't know as I didn't see it - but I know this: I wouldn't be on a message board (especially before release) having not seen the movie and blasting the movie for promoting teen suicide when I don't know any context.

In general though - I don't think movies cause spikes in anything - I like to think people are more strong willed than that. If they are not....well they shouldn't go outside or go do anything. There are movies about serial killers, murderers, suicides, war, arsonists, robbers, domestic abusers, gamblers, drug addicts, terrorists and politicians. You can't avoid all the evil unless you want to just watch cartoons maybe.
I've sorta addressed this, but in case you didn't see it:

Do you think a movie about the Columbine killers would be a bad idea? Not "glorifying" it or anything, but a United 93 (film) style accurate portrayal of the months that lead up to to it and the day of? Would that make you "weird" sitting there watching that? Would you be concerned if your teenage son was clamoring to see it 3 or 4 times? I would be.
aTmAg
AG
And just so everybody knows... I'm not on a religious crusade. I don't care about dancing, nudity, violence, etc. I think Breaking Bad is the greatest TV show ever, have watched all of Game of Thrones, have watched Apocalypto multiple times, etc.

I wouldn't even have these complaints if the movie portrayed an even MORE gruesome murder as long as the murderer was fictional.

I just have a problem with a movie that would portray a real life mass murderer in a way that is not absolutely 100% negative. I wish Manson and his entire cult were dead before this movie was ever announced. It disgusts me to think that he had an ounce of satisfaction knowing that one of the top directors was filming a movie filled with A-list actors that in some way portrayed his crimes. I think whackjobs like the dude who filmed himself shooting up a Mosque in New Zealand would say it was all worth it if a movie was made about him.

Don't try to turn it into me being a religious zealot or anything.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
aTmAg said:

Zombie Jon Snow said:

aTmAg said:

Zombie Jon Snow said:

I've sorta addressed this, but in case you didn't see it:

Do you think a movie about the Columbine killers would be a bad idea? Not "glorifying" it or anything, but a United 93 (film) style accurate portrayal of the months that lead up to to it and the day of? Would that make you "weird" sitting there watching that? Would you be concerned if your teenage son was clamoring to see it 3 or 4 times? I would be.

a. No it's a historical event, i'd be fine with a movie about it
b. I felt weird watching United 93 it made me very uncomfortable - in fact I did not go see it in theaters because I did not want to. But later saw it on cable. But that doesn't mean it should not be made, nor does it mean it glorifies anything. I likely would choose not to see one about Columbine either personally.
c. My "teenage son" would not be able to see it multiple times nor even once while he was underage. When he was an adult he can do what he wants. What an odd question. What does letting someone underage see something that is too mature for them have to do with anything. It's not even an argument about the original question you are just now extrapolating it to make some worst case that a kid might see it. There are tons of movies with horrible topics underage people should not see.

What about 9/11 the movie? Or Patriot Day? I watched those. they made me uncomfortable - but they didn't make me want to be a terrorist.

You can be as uncomfortable as you want - it isn't going to stop anyone from seeing it. Nor does it change that it happened. and anyone obsessed with it is already most likely disturbed the movie isn't making them that way. Not any moreso than a book would have or simply reading all the literature and manifestoes they tend to print.

I don't know why you make any distinction here - there have literally been hundreds of movies about despicable characters including serial killers - do you think that's why we have serial killers?

Personally I don't know of one person turned into a homicidal maniac, serial killer or mass murdered because of a movie. People in some cases have cited the actions of others in their motivations - but it isn't just because there was a movie about it. That's what I find really strange.

Do movies about wars incite wars? Many war movies have won awards and been praised.
Do movies about rape incite rape? The Accused won an Academy Award btw for Jodie Foster
Do movies about terrorism cause terrorism?

I could list 8000 movies about horrible people doing horrible things.

It's really confusing and just seems like some odd fixation YOU have on this specific thing.

It's like my very odd friend who hates ANY movie in which a child dies for any reason - natural, illness, disaster, accident... does not matter. I mean that's part of life. It happens. In fact he specifically asks anyone that has seen a movie he is considering if any children die in it - if so he won't go, He has not even suffered any traumatic occurence of children dying in his family or among friends. He just thinks children should never be shown dying. He would not go to A Quiet Place for example once he heard a kid dies.

I find your obsession equally odd to say the least.

Anyway done talking about it I should have taken the advice of many others and simply ignored you. How bout you do us a favor since you're only here to crap on a movie you haven't seen for an unjustified reason (you have no context to assume what you believe is true)....so how bout just STFU, don't see the movie and don't bother posting on a thread about it. That'd be great.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
This whole convo reminds me of this QT interview.

TCTTS
AG
"Jan" is the PERFECT nickname for all thread ruiners going forward. As in, "Stop being such a Jan" or "You're right, Jan, we only dislike you because your opinion is 'dissenting' and not because you're a blowhard and a moron. JAN."
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Lol. That's great.

Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
I agree
Stop being a jan, it's fiction!!!! I thought a couple of the scenes in inglorious basterds with Adolf were funny.
Stop being such a pill
jokershady
AG
I love it when he calls people out on their bull**** right away. Here's another one

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Prediction time.

Which 60's song will they use in the first trailer?

My [probably too obvious] guesses:
1. California Dreamin' by Mamas and the Papas
2. Crimson and Clover by Tommy James and the Shondells

Sharon Tate hanging with Mama Cass @1:02 in the trailer.
PatAg
AG
I always thought part of what made Manson, a few other serial killers, especially evil/scary was that they could just appear like a normal, charismatic dude. You can't just change or ignore history.

If this movie somehow glorifies Manson, than we will all come back and eat crow, but I highly doubt they are going to make him a sympathetic character.
GoAgs92
AG
Posthumous Oscar for Luke Perry?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Does Tarantino finally get one for Director?
aTmAg
AG
I'm not going to STFU because you demand it. In fact, I'm more likely to do the opposite now.

And you are confusing the issue I am bringing up. I am not arguing that violent movies encourage viewers to be violent or that a movie about Hitler encourages future Hitlers. Just that there is such a thing as an irresponsible movie.

What if this movie were to glorify Manson? What if it made him look like some sort of visionary? That his twisted view on an impending a race war was prophetic? What if it argued that Sharon Tate's bady was the next Hitler and that Manson was doing the world a great favor? Is there literally nothing they could do that you would find irresponsible?

Imagine a movie that were to be about a kid getting bullied who then takes his own life. And as a result of his suicide, the bullies somehow get a just punishment and the dead kid gets lauded as a hero and has statues raised in his honor. Would you you be A-okay with that too? If so, then you should STFU because your opinion is not worth a damn.
aTmAg
AG
jokershady said:

I love it when he calls people out on their bull**** right away. Here's another one

Though I agree that the interviewer was being an ass, part of what Tarantino says in this clip is BS. His movie didn't "open any sort of dialog" about slavery that hadn't happened before. Slavery is talked about ALL the time. There are gazillions of books on it, tons of movies TV shows, etc. Politicians bring it up practically every day. His movie is no more intellectual than The Charles Bronson Death Wish movies. It was just a fun popcorn movie where evil dudes get their just rewards like millions of other movies. That's all.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Sure, Jan.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Oh great, it's the thread fun sponge atm Jan
aTmAg
AG
The best way to get me to go away is to not be an ass. The last thing I'm going to do is listen to a "STFU". It's bad policy to bend to or negotiate with terrorism.
RichardSplet
what's your deal
Duncan Idaho
Can we all just ignore atm and get back in the topic I tried to raise? Why does Hollywood feel the need to make yet another movie glamorizing being gay?
Bones08
AG
There is only one terrorist in this thread and thy name is Jan.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Ahhh.... much better now.... IGNORE feature for the win!!!!

"I can't hear you"

Gigem314
AG
ATM1876 said:

HULLABALOO!
bearamedic99
AG
For all the peeps noticing the word Hullabaloo, did you miss its color?
aTmAg
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

Ahhh.... much better now.... IGNORE feature for the win!!!!

"I can't hear you"

Ha... this board is full of intellectual cowards.

We can only talk about how great these movies are. No sort of criticism will be tolerated!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.