*** TOP GUN : Maverick ***

309,585 Views | 2251 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by YNWA_AG
SoulSlaveAG2005
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

This message has been approved by Brad, Jerry and Mitch..
TCTTS
AG
I mean, one of my sisters already saw it tonight with friends, she has two kids at home/never goes to the movies anymore, and is already seeing it AGAIN Saturday night with her husband and more of my family. Then my other sister, who never, ever goes to the movies, and has four kids, got a babysitter for tomorrow night, and her, her husband, and a bunch of their friends are seeing it then. I'm hearing so many stories like that and it's just crazy how many people who never go to the movies anymore are showing up in droves for this thing. I honestly think it's going to blow away all tracking projections, in shocking fashion.
Bunk Moreland
Getting reactions now from more friends who saw it tonight and it's the same things...

Sold out theaters
Loved it
Looking for another showtime to see it again soon.
MadDog99
AG
Just got home from seeing it and it was absolutely fantastic. I'm ready to go see it again this weekend.
ChipFTAC01
AG
MadDog99 said:

Just got home from seeing it and it was absolutely fantastic. I'm ready to go see it again this weekend.

This.

I haven't been to the movies Since at least when my kids were born 5.5 years ago and I really want to see it again tomorrow night. I'm leaving the country on Saturday and might try to see it again while I'm gone just to experience it overseas.

Edit: I just pulled up the theater in the relatively small town in England that we're going to and they have it playing on 5 screens.
RebAg13
MrPlow2010
AG
That was so much fun. That was one of the best final acts I can remember in a movie. Can't wait to see it again.

Also Jennifer Connelly is smoking hot in this.
Cypresslakeag
Just watched it…. Wow! It was fantastic! In my top 3 of theater experiences. I will definitely see it multiple times in theaters!
jokershady
AG
Wife and I got our tickets for Saturday night! 9:25 pm showing at Alamo Drafthouse LaCenterra
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Oops. Spoiler
country
AG
Simply no words. To see that level of movie outside of the comic book world was nostalgic at a minimum and f'n kickass with no words at the upper end. This is what I've been waiting for. Every time I've looked at my kids and said Hollywood doesn't know how to make movies any more….this is different. This is 80s action on cocaine. Greatest movie theatre experience I e had since the 80s. Kudos to Cruise. I was shocked at the box office numbers being projected for this one as I thought it had a chance to set records given the generational lap. I think it can set records. Awesome movie.
FancyKetchup14
AG
I gotta stop reading this thread. At this point I feel like I'll be pissed if it doesn't get nominated for best picture. Cannot wait for tomorrow.
veryfuller
Staff
AG
My expectations were pretty high, and it blew past them. It's on a short list of films, for me, where the only thing negative I have to say initially is that I'm sad I can't watch it for the first time ever again.
Hwy30East
My family has tickets to see it Saturday at noon. Everyone is looking forward to this, especially with all the good reviews from those that have seen it already.
Garrelli 5000
AG
Bought our tickets to the iMax @Webb Chapel on Monday. Can't wait to see this after spot reading a few reviews while trying to avoid spoilers.
Staff - take out the trash.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Everyone's reactions here are making me want to just fast forward my work day so the wife and I can get to the IMAX screen at the Regal on Grand Parkway tonight!
spadilly
S
IMAX tomorrow night. Can't wait!
TCTTS
AG
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
How does Imax compare with Cinemark XD? Cinemark is closest to us and the one we typically go to. It's been several years since I've been to a real Imax theater. Not even sure if the Imax in Bryan is good or not.
TCTTS
AG

He is Ass My Dude
DallasTeleAg said:

Who gives a crap if they suspend a little reality?! It's mother****ing Top Gun. I'm going to enjoy the hell out of it!

It's just boring people that love to flex their "expert".

Meanwhile, they probably don't even know how to tell an interesting story. Is anyone to expect they could make a movie strangers would spend money and 2hrs to watch?
InternetFan02
AG
Just got out and that was maybe the greatest movie experience of all time. Sorry if hyperbole. Not sorry. My god.
aezmvp
Sweet Kitten Feet said:

How does Imax compare with Cinemark XD? Cinemark is closest to us and the one we typically go to. It's been several years since I've been to a real Imax theater. Not even sure if the Imax in Bryan is good or not.

It's fairly close different aspect ration I think. Same boat and usually watch the popcorn ones on XD.
TCTTS
AG
Yeah you get a lot more picture vertically with IMAX. What you're seeing in any other theater is technically "cropped" on top and bottom.
InternetFan02
AG
Sweet Kitten Feet said:

How does Imax compare with Cinemark XD? Cinemark is closest to us and the one we typically go to. It's been several years since I've been to a real Imax theater. Not even sure if the Imax in Bryan is good or not

saw it in XD and it was great though it's weird because top gun opening scene has always been my go to when testing a new speaker setup or wanting to shake the house walls so no movie theater with noise regulations can compare. And this one will be the new standard movie for sound testing
RossG_2
AG
I saw this in Houston last night in an old theater with poor sound and a rickety AC unit clanking the whole time and it still friggin rocked. Can't wait to see it again…hopefully in XD.
LMCane
MrPlow2010 said:

That was so much fun. That was one of the best final acts I can remember in a movie. Can't wait to see it again.

Also Jennifer Connelly is smoking hot in this.
thought she was too anorexic

but at least it is age appropriate for a nearly 60 year old Maverick.

in real life Cruise is probably dating a 35 year old
LMCane
veryfuller said:

My expectations were pretty high, and it blew past them. It's on a short list of films, for me, where the only thing negative I have to say initially is that I'm sad I can't watch it for the first time ever again.

I thought these two films were actually very different films.

In a positive way. the first one was totally 80s and fairly gay in that kind of shirtless dudes with a volleyball and in the shower kind of way.

this was much more emotion about Mav's life- at least for me being 10 years younger than Cruise it makes you look back at THIRTY SIX YEARS and I think they did a fantastic job of him showing real emotion.

when is the last time anyone legit saw Tom Cruise cry?!
K Bo
AG
InternetFan02 said:

Just got out and that was maybe the greatest movie experience of all time. Sorry if hyperbole. Not sorry. My god.

Haha, I just got out seeing it on IMAX and I thought the exact same thing. So f'ing good.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
In the theater, seating high up and centrally in front of a big ass IMAX screen. 7 minutes out.
CyanideJenkins
AG
All I can say about it is…..

****. YES!!!
A-A Ron
No spoilers here and I'm not big on knowing the accuracy of the movie vs real. But it was totally worth the long awaited wait cinematic wise for theater release. I can only imagine what the original was like in theaters. Holy **** very good movie.
Ferg
Awesome Movie.

The cheers you hear are not just the audience but Navy Recruiters across the nation.
SJEAg
AG
Wonder if it will have any recruitment effect like the first. No way it'll be anything at that level even if it makes a billion dollars. But be nice to remind people of when we were united against enemy countries and not each other. Cold War had some benefits.
Stat Monitor Repairman
I want to go watch Top gun 2 in the biggest theatre I can find with the best sound I can find.

I don't want to be in a packed theatre though. I don't feel like being around that many people.

I want a low drama, no drama situation.

How long until I can catch a morning showing and have the place to myself.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.