*** TOP GUN : Maverick ***

301,586 Views | 2251 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by YNWA_AG
Sapper Redux
How long do you want to ignore this user?
jkag89
Fan recut of Bridges at Toko Ri to create a retro Top Gun title sequence

jbanda
AG
Right, but the goal would be to sink the fleet. 1 zero or Kate wouldn't be worth a phoenix, and as far as I know, the phoenix doesn't have anti-ship capabilities.

Out of the box thinking here, but would a common DDG (Arleigh Burke class) not be better equipped to sink a fleet that has no ASM countermeasures? Wouldn't dozens of vertically launched cruise missiles do the trick here? They really wouldn't know what hit them.
Capitol Ag
AG
I get that there are a lot of C-47/DC-3s left and probably for a while. Amazing aircraft. But in the Catch-22 scene, even for the late 60's/early 70s that's a lot of 25s in one scene. Did a Google search and it states that today there are about 45 B-25s that are airworthy which actually surprised me. But they were firebombers for a number of years, some until very recently, so that helps with how many survivors there are and the amount of parts remaining for upkeep. Man, how cool would it be to get them all together in a reenactment of a WWII bombing mission take off. I realize they've done these to commemorate certain events like Doolittle Raid etc but imagine seeing and hearing that. Amazing.
Capitol Ag
AG
jbanda said:

Right, but the goal would be to sink the fleet. 1 zero or Kate wouldn't be worth a phoenix, and as far as I know, the phoenix doesn't have anti-ship capabilities.

Out of the box thinking here, but would a common DDG (Arleigh Burke class) not be better equipped to sink a fleet that has no ASM countermeasures? Wouldn't dozens of vertically launched cruise missiles do the trick here? They really wouldn't know what hit them.

Totally! But those destroyers didn't get commissioned until 91. This would be 1981 naval tech vs 1941. And wasn't it only the Nimitz that went back in time? I do not recall. But I thought that was the situation. Sounds like I need to rewatch the movie. Twist my arm.
The Porkchop Express
MooreTrucker said:

Quad Dog said:

country said:

Hilarious to me how easily some seem to be discounting how big Maverick will be at the box office. My parents (70) have already asked me to get them tickets to two different showings as soon as they become available. They probably haven't been to a movie since the original. Boomers are going to drive this thing big time.
Relying on 70 year olds as you main audience that you are expecting to go buy tickets isn't a good strategy.
You'd be surprised. Just because helloimustbegoing's mom doesn't go to moves doesn't mean all 70 year olds don't go.

Plus with that username, hello must be fairly old or like TCM.

KEEP MY MOM'S NAME OUT OF YOUR ****ING MOUTH!
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
jbanda
AG
That's fair, but the A-6's and S-3's in the strike force should have been loaded with harpoons. Of course I doubt the navy would have acquiesced to that request for a movie crew. I'm verging on being an internet pedant at this point.

Final thought: Give me The Final Countdown over Top Gun any day. Can't wait to see the new top gun when it comes out on VOD, though.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
15 minutes in, and and I'm 80% sure I've seen this movie before. Maybe just once. Weirdly, seeing Strickland as the captain was the giveaway, as I remember being suprised the first time.

That said, I have zero memory of the main conflict of the movie, I just know it involves Russians.

Main thought so far: "Your ego is writing checks your body can't cash" is such a ridiculous line, I can see why it's so memorable.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
"They were abused children."
Sapper Redux
Capitol Ag said:

jbanda said:

Totally! But those destroyers didn't get commissioned until 91. This would be 1981 naval tech vs 1941. And wasn't it only the Nimitz that went back in time? I do not recall. But I thought that was the situation. Sounds like I need to rewatch the movie. Twist my arm.

It was only the Nimitz. So it's basically their aircraft against the Japanese fleet.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Maybe we need a Final Countdown thread.
jkag89
Quite a few B-25s were kept around after WWII for training purposes. It was a good aircraft to train new pilots in multiengine planes and also used for teaching of hands on navigation. My father has quite a few hours in the TB-25 (as they were designated after the War) in this role. The B-25 displayed in front of the terminal at Mitchell Field in Milwaukee was actually flown by by dad. He ferried it up from Texas in the late '50s for use by the Wisconsin Air National Guard.

PatAg
AG
TCTTS said:

Yes, we've said boomers will show up in droves for this movie, but that doesn't mean we think that *only* boomers will show up for this movie. Most of my friends are 35+, and more people in that 35+ range have reached out to me about wanting to see this movie than even The Force Awakens or Endgame. Granted, that's my own, anecdotal experience, but I'm not even close to the only one seeing/experiencing that trend, based on this thread and what I'm seeing on social media.

And btw, the only reason I'm talking about opening weekend as opposed to total gross is because we don't yet know the quality of the movie. I have it on good authority that it's great, but we still don't know how audiences will react, and what kind of legs it may or may not have based on those reactions. But if it's good, and we're tallying total summer grosses, like we initially discussed, whether the boomers show up on opening weekend vs weekend two or three is irrelevant, as long as they eventually show up.

Basically, what it comes down to is that I think the amount of Marvel peeps who *don't* show up for Top Gun will be far outweighed by the boomers and 35+ crowd who don't usually go to Marvel movies, or any movies, really, but *do* show up for TG. In other words, say only 50% of the usual Marvel crowd shows up for TG, I think that other 50% and then some will be made up by boomers and non-Marvel 35+ers. I could of course be wrong, but I think this is going to be akin to the American Sniper phenomenon on steroids, where that movie just blew away expectations at the box office. Same type of crowd here, plus a whole lot more, riding the nostalgia factor as well.
I may have missed the overall discussion about this, but even though TopGun came out in 1986, it was still basically the standard for testing out sound system out until around 1999.
Kids would still be watching this movie from around age 8-18 for at least the next 10 years after the movie came out it held up that well.
So you have that entire next generation of kids, in addition to the people that were kids and adults in 1986 that will want to see this movie
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
And in 1999 it became the podrace in TPM.

I remember seeing that at every electronics store for years, especially with the rise of DVDs happening right at that time.
PatAg
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

"They were abused children."
Hopefully this movie has a character like Goose that can bring heart and genuine laughs to the film.
PatAg
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

And in 1999 it became the podrace in TPM.

I remember seeing that at every electronics store for years, especially with the rise of DVDs happening right at that time.
100%

Jurassic Park and the T-Rex first appearance had taken some of the pie as well by that time
jbanda
AG
Come on now, the gold standard for testing home theaters has to be Days of Thunder.
BenTheGoodAg
AG
I think Apollo 13 had a place in there as well.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Halfway through. More thoughts:

The second half hour or so was essentially a long-form music video.

If nothing else, the style in this movie is about as pure 80's as you can get, and it works.

I'm assuming the main conflict of the movie (other than the top gun competition) is about to be introduced.

So far we've gotten one super short scene of Goose's wife and kid. I wonder if that's all we get, considering the kid seems to be a secondary lead in Maverick.

Also, as a kid of the 90's, all the talk of Maverick's dad feels very "Starfox" to me.
Pahdz
jbanda said:

Come on now, the gold standard for testing home theaters has to be Days of Thunder.

So many to choose from, the opening credits song and footage is great, however this combination of song and cinema is what we'd use to show off the system

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Huh. Did not recall Goose dying this early into the movie, and just in training.
Bunk Moreland
Get off Texags and just watch the damn movie
BenTheGoodAg
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

nosoupforyou
AG
Having fun with your thoughts here -
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Well, I'm excited for Maverick.

Was that Tim Robbins celebrating at the end? Either that was his only appearance, or I completely missed him before that.

Kind of no explanation for why Charlie decides to return to Top Gun at the end, but whatever, I'll buy it.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

Some had expressed interest in my live reactions.

Luckily, someone invented a pause button.
Bunk Moreland
He was Merlin at the beginning of the film
Emotional Support Cobra
AG
PatAg said:

TCTTS said:

Yes, we've said boomers will show up in droves for this movie, but that doesn't mean we think that *only* boomers will show up for this movie. Most of my friends are 35+, and more people in that 35+ range have reached out to me about wanting to see this movie than even The Force Awakens or Endgame. Granted, that's my own, anecdotal experience, but I'm not even close to the only one seeing/experiencing that trend, based on this thread and what I'm seeing on social media.

And btw, the only reason I'm talking about opening weekend as opposed to total gross is because we don't yet know the quality of the movie. I have it on good authority that it's great, but we still don't know how audiences will react, and what kind of legs it may or may not have based on those reactions. But if it's good, and we're tallying total summer grosses, like we initially discussed, whether the boomers show up on opening weekend vs weekend two or three is irrelevant, as long as they eventually show up.

Basically, what it comes down to is that I think the amount of Marvel peeps who *don't* show up for Top Gun will be far outweighed by the boomers and 35+ crowd who don't usually go to Marvel movies, or any movies, really, but *do* show up for TG. In other words, say only 50% of the usual Marvel crowd shows up for TG, I think that other 50% and then some will be made up by boomers and non-Marvel 35+ers. I could of course be wrong, but I think this is going to be akin to the American Sniper phenomenon on steroids, where that movie just blew away expectations at the box office. Same type of crowd here, plus a whole lot more, riding the nostalgia factor as well.
I may have missed the overall discussion about this, but even though TopGun came out in 1986, it was still basically the standard for testing out sound system out until around 1999.
Kids would still be watching this movie from around age 8-18 for at least the next 10 years after the movie came out it held up that well.
So you have that entire next generation of kids, in addition to the people that were kids and adults in 1986 that will want to see this movie

I am 44 and You've Lost that Loving Feeling was a consistent frat hazing/ sorority house serenade in the late 90s. My 13 year old and I watched Top Gun on Netflix on Friday just cause.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Well, I'm excited for Maverick.

TCTTS
AG
Spilner finally lost his Top Gun virginity.
TCTTS
AG
MooreTrucker said:

TCTTS said:

. I mean, to this day, there are hardly any more quotable movies in history.
Monty Python and the Holy Grail FTW. Also, Rocky Horror Picture Show, Tombstone.

I purposely say "hardly any more" to leave room for other, more quotable movies, TexAgs then angrily lists the other, more quotable movies, as if I said TG was *the* most quotable. Par for the course.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Who is angry?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TCTTS said:

Spilner finally lost his Top Gun virginity.

Technically not. But close enough.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Huh. Did not recall Goose dying this early into the movie, and just in training.

Spoiler!!!
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Who is angry?

I found Moore's use of the talk-to-the-hand emoji to be a traumatizing micro aggression that may very well take me days to recover from.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.