*** TOP GUN : Maverick ***

302,829 Views | 2251 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by YNWA_AG
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Y'all are crazy to think that. I'm sorry but that is ridiculous.

Spider-Man just made $800M domestically. You're saying out of ALL those people, the number of them who won't see Top Gun will be smaller than the number of people who want to see Top Gun and DIDN'T see Spider-Man?

TCTTS
AG
Do you not realize how many potential movie-goers *don't* go to Marvel movies? Basically, like, nearly every movie-goer over, say, 50 or so, a sh*t ton of women, etc. There's a massive audience out there who can't stand comic book movies, and I've personally heard from a ton of them myself, in their over-the-moon anticipation for Top Gun.
Keegan99
AG
The biggest generation is still the baby boomers.

Anecdotes aren't data, but very few of my boomer parents or aunts and uncles would go see a Marvel movie. Several are already talking about seeing Top Gun. The last time any of them did that for a blockbuster was probably for The Force Awakens.
TCTTS
AG
Exactly. Every boomer I know will be there opening weekend for this thing. I've never heard them talk about a movie more.
The Porkchop Express
Brian Earl Spilner said:

You're saying out of ALL those people, the number of them who won't see Top Gun will be smaller than the number of people who want to see Top Gun and DIDN'T see Spider-Man?

MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
Keegan99
AG
Also every woman over age 40 or so knows about the beach volleyball scene in the original.

And they'll want - and presumably get - something similar here.
TCTTS
AG
Yep.

I imagine it will get a fairly sizable chunk of the Marvel crowd (half, at least, if not more), and then all the boomers and all the women as well.
MooreTrucker
AG
FTR I'm a Boomer and I plan to see both.
aTmAg
AG
I just want TCTTS to know that if this movie is not good, then I'm going to hunt him down and murder his entire family.

(Rhetorically of course.. no ban please)
TXAG 05
AG
helloimustbegoing said:

TXAG 05 said:

Are people really that excited about the multiverse stuff? I'm a fan of the marvel movies, but I'm like warm on it at best, I don't know if I'll even see that one in the theater, but I will for sure go see Top Gun.

Just slightly.

I know SpiderMan was insanely popular, just not sure the new Dr Strange will do similar numbers.
Sapper Redux
MooreTrucker said:

Not a Boomer and I plan to see both.

And for the record, I want an Edge of Tomorrow crossover with Top Gun for Top Gun 3.
TCTTS
AG
I don't think it'll do similar numbers - probably not even close - but I do think a lot of people will treat it somewhat like a sequel to No Way Home, which could mean it'll still do better than most Marvel movies.
tk for tu juan
So we have a movie with IMAX cameras placed at various locations on a real F-18 for scenes of Top Gun training, taking off/landing on aircraft carriers, and engagements with enemy fighter jets. Probably some steamy sex scene and/or erotic volleyball scene. The sequel to the original "fast & furious" movie

Vs

Some dudes in tights with make believe superpowers doing magic tricks in a green screen room and a plethora of CGI
Keegan99
AG
I do kind of hope this shakes Hollywood up when it comes to visuals. "Oh look it's the end of the city/country/planet in CGI..." has been done to death. There are other ways to wow audiences.
The Porkchop Express
Keegan99 said:

I do kind of hope this shakes Hollywood up when it comes to visuals. "Oh look it's the end of the city/country/planet in CGI..." has been done to death. There are other ways to wow audiences.
Isn't that an REM song?
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
MooreTrucker
AG
Sapper Redux said:

MooreTrucker said:

Not a Boomer and I plan to see both.

And for the record, I want an Edge of Tomorrow crossover with Top Gun for Top Gun 3.
I'm in!
MooreTrucker
AG
helloimustbegoing said:

Keegan99 said:

Isn't that an REM song?
That was the original title but it just didn't flow.
Sapper Redux
Keegan99 said:

I was just rewatching The Final Countdown recently. Zero CGI, actual planes flying and performing actual stunts. With good camerawork and good editing, it's as enthralling as anything CGI can do. I'd love to see a return of that.
The Porkchop Express
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
aTmLoKi
AG
I think there is a good bet buried in these last two pages. TCTTS - set the line for us.

Top Gun will make more than [MCU Movie].
Keegan99
AG
Sapper Redux said:

Keegan99 said:

I was just rewatching The Final Countdown recently. Zero CGI, actual planes flying and performing actual stunts. With good camerawork and good editing, it's as enthralling as anything CGI can do. I'd love to see a return of that.

Yea, it's to the point where wide-angle SFX shots of destruction have me going "oh we're doing the video game thing... cool..." Maybe it's just getting older, but the stakes don't feel legitimate anymore.

The comparatively small-scale Zod / Superman Metropolis fight in Superman II comes off far better than the citywide destruction of the same two tangling in Man of Steel.
Sapper Redux
helloimustbegoing said:

I feel like all of life can be marked with Gob Bluth gifs.
The Porkchop Express
Sapper Redux said:

helloimustbegoing said:

I feel like all of life can be marked with Gob Bluth gifs.
Hearing him and Bateman weekly on the Smartless podcast makes the Gob/Michael dynamic last forever.
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
Nagler
AG
The last movie I saw in theaters was Toy Story 4 with my kid. Before that I'm not sure what the last movie I saw in theatres was. It was pre-children so at leat 5 1/2+ years ago.

I informed my wife that we will be seeing the 2nd Top Gun in the best theatre we can find. I'm pumped.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Sapper Redux said:

Keegan99 said:

Dunkirk has that (although the Nazi bomber is a RC plane).
TCTTS
AG
The main reason the movie was originally delayed from 2019 to 2020 was to shoot a TON of practical jet/stunt work. With the actors actually in the cockpits.
jbanda
AG
Let's be real here son, The Final Countdown is a top 5 all-time movie. I loved it when I was young and I love it now. Although they would have been smart to not show the time portal. That special effect doesn't quite hold up.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TCTTS said:

The main reason the movie was originally delayed from 2019 to 2020 was to shoot a TON of practical jet/stunt work. With the actors actually in the cockpits.

And I bet Cruise is doing most of that piloting himself.
jbanda
AG
I give you the best movie scene ever featuring F-14 Tomcats. Especially when that one Tomcat pulls up approx. 100ft over the ocean. Look it up.

TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

TCTTS said:

And I bet Cruise is doing most of that piloting himself.
He definitely wanted to, but the navy/insurance wouldn't let him.
Pahdz
Nagler said:

The last movie I saw in theaters was Toy Story 4 with my kid. Before that I'm not sure what the last movie I saw in theatres was. It was pre-children so at leat 5 1/2+ years ago.

I informed my wife that we will be seeing the 2nd Top Gun in the best theatre we can find. I'm pumped.

The silent majority

There are more folks like these out there than some realize.
JB!98
AG
jbanda said:

I give you the best movie scene ever featuring F-14 Tomcats. Especially when that one Tomcat pulls up approx. 100ft over the ocean. Look it up.

Damn right! Give me the Bridges and Toko Ri and The Final Countdown for the finest Naval Aviation movies ever. Honorable mention to Midway (the old one!)
Today, unfortunately, many Americans have good reason to fear that they will be victimized if they are unable to protect themselves. And today, no less than in 1791, the Second Amendment guarantees their right to do so. - Justice Samuel Alito 2022
ChipFTAC01
AG
jbanda said:

F14s are just the absolute best.
The Porkchop Express
jbanda said:

Let's be real here son, The Final Countdown is a top 5 all-time movie. I loved it when I was young and I love it now. Although they would have been smart to not show the time portal. That special effect doesn't quite hold up.

Would be a great remake except they dont go back through the portal and waste the Japanese fleet.

Captain Yelland: I believe what we stumbled across is not man-made but a phenomena of nature, one that can't be explained. This phenomena is the storm in which the Nimitz went through less than 18 hours ago, the storm has had some effect on time as we know it, it created a portal, a door into another era. Today is December 7, 1941... I'm sure we are all aware of the significance of this date in this place in history. We are going to fight a battle that was lost before most of you were born. This time, with God's help, its going to be different... Good Luck.
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
JB!98 said:

jbanda said:

Damn right! Give me the Bridges and Toko Ri and The Final Countdown for the finest Naval Aviation movies ever. Honorable mention to Midway (the old one!)
Yep, gonna have to agree with that take. Bridges at Toko Ri was nothing short of awesome for the F9F Panthers and even the helicopter.

But for war aviation overall, I'll throw in the opening of, I believe the second episode, of Band of Brothers, with real C-47s taking to the skies. And while there is a whole lot of CGI in Pearl Harbor, they do feature some shots of real Spitfires flying over the white cliffs; that film also recreated the Doolittle raid with a real B-25 taking off from the USS Lexington in Corpus.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.