*** TOP GUN : Maverick ***

302,871 Views | 2251 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by YNWA_AG
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
All of these far more egregious than Top Gun, especially for a guy who works in Hollywood. I've seen all of these.

But I feel like there was another one discussed recently.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
jeffk said:

101 Dalmatians
This one too.
TCTTS
AG
I would argue that none of them are more egregious than Top Gun.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Of course you would.

Top Gun is far more important in Hollywood history than Gone With the Wind.
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

jeffk said:

101 Dalmatians
This one too.

Ha, no, I've seen 101 Dalmatians. I just didn't remember most of it because it's kids cartoon from the '60s.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I'm gonna break something to you that might be a bummer, if not completely shocking.

Pretty much nobody under the age of 35 cares about Top Gun. Have literally never had a conversation about it with any of my family or friends in my life. It's something you kind of grow up knowing about, sure, but not something anyone of my generation is particularly fond of, in my experience. And I'm way more into movies than most people, I'd argue.

I'd be suprised if this movie did will with the younger crowd, like a Marvel or a Star Wars. But I'm excited just for the IMAX dogfighting scenes and seeing Tom Cruise do Tom Cruise stuff.
nosoupforyou
AG
TCTTS said:

Awesome.

No, Shawshank is one of my all-time favorites.

The only big movies I can think of that I haven't seen are Gone With the Wind, Dances with Wolves, and Schindler's List. There might be another one, but it's not coming to me right now.
I saw Gone with the Wind about 2 years ago - shocked that it is an all-timer... didn't really get it - harder to find likely because of the (non really racist), racial issues.. it was long and just ok.

Dances with Wolves - I also watched this about 2 years ago - during Covid - and I kept waiting for it go get good.. it never did.. won because it praises Natives I guess.. I love Costner but ... this is no good.

Schindler's List - very long and very slow

however - all of them are important to have seen... including Deliverance and Godfather - which I also saw during Covid... glad I checked them off but none of those are entertaining movies

ok - back to Maverick now!!
The Porkchop Express
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I'll be watching it on Netflix before this one in theaters, but I pretty much know all the beats from pop culture.

Will post my review here.

But TC, what was the huge one you hadn't seen until just recently? Shawhank?
Spoiler alert. Michael Ironside plays an ornery tough guy with a stick up his ass.
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The closest comparison I can think of is Armageddon, or maybe ID4. People my age love those movies, cause we watched them in theaters and they're super fun, cheesy as they are.

But my guess is no zoomer cares about them.
TCTTS
AG
Do you really not think I'm not aware of this? That said, there's a difference between "caring" about something and simply having seen it. That, and it will still likely be one of the three highest grossing movies of the summer, if not THE highest.
cc10106
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I've never seen it.
Watching Top Gun was a rite of passage for 80s kids. I recall learning several new words/phrases while seeing it with my dad in the theater and getting in trouble for it shortly afterwards.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I mean, are you? Didn't seem like it. Sometimes it's hard to know what people younger than us care about.

And I'd be pretty shocked if that was the case, but hopefully so. The more successful blockbusters we can get in theaters, the better.

But THE highest? Dude, come on now. I'll take that bet, you can name your terms. To think it will outgross Multiverse of Madness or Thor is just silly.
The Porkchop Express
I went to A&M as a senior in high school for a honors orientation weekend and they showed us Top Gun at Rudder Theater. That was in 1991 and it was fantastic to watch with a bunch of kids my age.
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
veryfuller
Staff
AG
Jurassic World 3 will probably make more money too
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
That's gonna be huge. Forgot about it.
TCTTS
AG
So many people who don't watch Marvel movies, and who hardly ever go to the theater period, are going to pay to watch this movie. As evidence by this very thread, but also by the reactions to the trailers in the general zeitgeist and in the media at large as well. Not to mention, I have friends texting me, who haven't been to the movies in years, asking me when I'm getting tickets. I have family members sending *me* the trailer, who hardly ever talk movies with me. For the over 35 crowd, who show up in mass for things like American Sniper, this IS essentially a Marvel movie. It's going to do bonkers numbers.
The Porkchop Express
Here's my quick research list of the biggest movies and a few laughable ones coming out from May to the end of July

May-July releases

May 6 - Dr. Strange 2
May 13 - Firestarter
May 20 - Downton Abbey 2: Professor McGonagal's revenge
May 20 - Chip n'Dale: Rescue Rangers
May 27 - Bob Burger's Movie
May 27 - Top Gun 2
June 10 - Jurassic World 3
June 17 - Lightyear
June 24 - Elvis
July 1 - Minions: Rise of Gru
July 15 - Where the Crawdads Sing
July 16 - Father of the Bride remake where everyone's Latino
July 28 - House Party remake produced by LeBron James; somebody kill me
July 29 - DC Super Pets

Personally, I'd guess Jurassic World finishes first out of all that and maybe Lightyear second, given how crazy people are for Toy Story after all these years. I love Dr. Strange, and he was a major player in NWH and Infinity War, but it is going to be a movie that you need several levels of Marvel depth to fully understand, I would think.

Then again, I use my wife's interest in movies as a barometer. She loved No Way Home, she did not like The Batman after the first hour or so. She will absolutely go see Top Gun on opening night because she loves Tom Cruise. She won't be interested in JW3 or Dr.Strange. That's the niche that Top Gun is going to pile up the #s on - women and couples where the wife isn't interested in Marvel or dinosaurs.
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I think they are sending those to you because of how much you love it. Sort of like people I know sending me Star Wars stuff.

Again, I hope you're right, but I think you're way overestimating how well it'll do. If it finishes top 3 I'll be incredibly surprised and impressed.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
My early prediction:

1. Multiverse of Madness
2. Jurassic World Dominion
3. Thor Love and Thunder
4. Lightyear
5. Top Gun
TCTTS
AG
Thor: Love and Thunder should also be included. It's July 8th.
torrid
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I'm gonna break something to you that might be a bummer, if not completely shocking.

Pretty much nobody under the age of 35 cares about Top Gun. Have literally never had a conversation about it with any of my family or friends in my life. It's something you kind of grow up knowing about, sure, but not something anyone of my generation is particularly fond of, in my experience. And I'm way more into movies than most people, I'd argue.

I'd be suprised if this movie did will with the younger crowd, like a Marvel or a Star Wars. But I'm excited just for the IMAX dogfighting scenes and seeing Tom Cruise do Tom Cruise stuff.
I think there is an expectation that this movie would actually get the olds to step foot in a movie theater, hence the numerous COVID delays.
Sapper Redux
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Of course you would.

I see your sarcasm.

The gay rights movement was only possible because America was exposed to the Top Gun beach volleyball scene.
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

My early prediction:

1. Multiverse of Madness
3. Thor Love and Thunder
4. Lightyear
5. Top Gun

I'll go…

1. Jurassic World Dominion
2. Multiverse of Madness
3. Top Gun
4. Thor Love and Thunder
5. Lightyear
The Porkchop Express
Thor is going to finish higher solely from Spilner seeing it 750 times to see Natalie Portman doing Cosplay.
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
TCTTS
AG
Bingo.
Keegan99
AG
How much will IMAX ticket prices goose (pun intended?) the numbers for Top Gun?

I can't remember the last time I went to see a movie multiple times in a theater just to see the movie (and not because someone I was around wanted to see the movie and I went along). Maybe Rogue One?

Regardless, I think there will be a LOT of folks doing that here, especially for IMAX showings.
veryfuller
Staff
AG
Fascinating, I think Thor 100% will be the top grosser. Here's my prediction:

1. Thor Love and Thunder
3. Multiverse of Madness
4. Top Gun
5. Lightyear

AND depending on how good Lightyear turns out to be, it could be higher on that list, honestly.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Sapper Redux said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Of course you would.

I see your sarcasm.

The gay rights movement was only possible because America was exposed to the Top Gun beach volleyball scene.
Tarantino Top Gun scene here.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
All I know for sure is those will be the top 3, no question.

I think MoM will be HUGE due to everyone still being excited about the multiverse, Doctor Strange, and seeing Wanda return after Wandavision. Plus the X-Men tease in the trailer. I could see it doing $500M+.

Thor will be huge due to the goodwill around Ragnarok, but it's hard to say for sure without a trailer. Speaking of, isn't it pretty late to have no teaser yet? I mean it's only 3-ish months out at this point.
TXAG 05
AG
Are people really that excited about the multiverse stuff? I'm a fan of the marvel movies, but I'm like warm on it at best, I don't know if I'll even see that one in the theater, but I will for sure go see Top Gun.
The Porkchop Express
I'm going with JW3 first and Thor second, now that TC reminded me I missed it.

Thor's cast has
Hemsworth
Portman
Russell Crowe
Christian Bale
Starlord
Nebula
Valkyrie
Matt Damon as Stage Loki
Melissa McCarthy as Stage Hela
Luke Hemsworth as Stage Thor
Sam Neil as Stage Odin
Sean Gunn as Kraglin
Jaimie Alexander back in the franchise

That's mind-blowing.
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
The Porkchop Express
TXAG 05 said:

Are people really that excited about the multiverse stuff? I'm a fan of the marvel movies, but I'm like warm on it at best, I don't know if I'll even see that one in the theater, but I will for sure go see Top Gun.

Just slightly.

MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, that cast is insane. We really need to see a trailer soon.

It all comes down to how many olds/non-Marvel folk show up for Top Gun. Part of me thinks that crowd could overtake the MCU, part of me thinks it can't.
Pahdz
I think there are more people who don't give .02 about any of the comic book flicks that will absolutely be at Top Gun, than there are people who are big comic honks who won't go see Top Gun.

BES... Aren't you from Mexico? Maybe that explains why the movie wasn't a big deal to you and your family and friends? I'd get that.
TCTTS
AG
I'm thinking you're right.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.