*** TOP GUN : Maverick ***

303,027 Views | 2251 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by YNWA_AG
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm almost positive it's the whole thing. It was shot on digital IMAX, so they didn't have to deal with the traditional, bulky, loud IMAX cameras. That, and in the two IMAX versions of the previous two trailers, all shots/scenes are in the taller IMAX format, even the non-action stuff.
Keegan99
AG
TCTTS said:

I'm almost positive it's the whole thing. It was shot on digital IMAX, so they didn't have to deal with the traditional, bulky, loud IMAX cameras. That, and in the two IMAX versions of the previous two trailers, all shots/scenes are in the taller IMAX format, even the non-action stuff.

jeffk
AG
EVEN THE BEACH FOOTBALL SCENE!?
TCTTS
AG
jeffk said:

EVEN THE BEACH FOOTBALL SCENE!?

In all of its baby-oiled, IMAX glory...

Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Man, I am really weary of newer movies tying back to characters from older sequels or prequels. I.e..Jango Fett.

I feel like 9 times outta 10 its very forced.

I hope Goose's kid being in this doesn't feel the same way.
TexAggee05
AG
It must be close, I'm getting a hard-on!
rebag00
AG
I cannot take credit for this quote but it's one of the funnier things I've read in the last few months. Enjoy!

"Three years late and over budget might prove to be the most accurate aspect of depicting Naval Aviation on film."
The Porkchop Express
Is it true that Kenny Loggins has recorded Let's Danger Zone Again (Like We Did Last Summer)?
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I'm not even a fan of the original, but three trailers and none of them used Danger Zone? Major whiff there.
TCTTS
AG
They're saving a lot for the movie itself. Loggins is back, there's a huge Lady Gaga single coming, etc.
BenTheGoodAg
AG
TexAggee05 said:

It must be close, I'm getting a hard-on!

SoulSlaveAG2005
AG

The Porkchop Express
Highway to the Gaga Zone?
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
jeffk
AG
Highway to the Lady Zone
The Porkchop Express
My joke seemed funny, but I haven't gotten hardly any sleep since Sunday night, and I'm pretty sure it just is "in my head" funny.
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
TCTTS
AG
For the record, they're trying to recapture that "Take My Breath Away" magic with Gaga, who has written an original song for the movie. I've heard it's actually pretty good and they shot a music video for it and everything. Quality or not, I've missed big radio singles for summer blockbusters - I can't remember the last time we got a good/memorable one - so if anything it'll be cool from a nostalgia factor.
tk for tu juan
double aught
AG
Wizard
Decay
AG
RC_57 said:

So I don't know how I missed out that Jennifer Connelly is in the mix

Anyway, definite step up for Maverick

Hey Kelly McGillis was in the trailer several times, launching and recovering aircraft

Have we already made that joke
Sapper Redux
Duncan Idaho said:

Hopefully this means we will get the sequel to a military air combat movie that we all want.

Fire Birds 2.
My old man was an Apache pilot and we watched the original Fire Birds in Germany surrounded by Apache pilots. I've never heard grown men laugh quite like that.
The Porkchop Express
TCTTS said:

For the record, they're trying to recapture that "Take My Breath Away" magic with Gaga, who has written an original song for the movie. I've heard it's actually pretty good and they shot a music video for it and everything. Quality or not, I've missed big radio singles for summer blockbusters - I can't remember the last time we got a good/memorable one - so if anything it'll be cool from a nostalgia factor.

I believe the last one was "can't stop the feeling" for Trolls in 2016, which we listened to in my home 473 million times.
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
sburg2007
That's it? We're still on repeat in mine.
jackie childs
TCTTS said:

They're saving a lot for the movie itself. Loggins is back, there's a huge Lady Gaga single coming, etc.
thank goodness...if there was ever a movie that didn't need a trailer, it's this one. all i need is the title card shown on screen for 30 seconds while the anthem blares.
TXAG 05
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I'm not even a fan of the original, but three trailers and none of them used Danger Zone? Major whiff there.

You love a lot of garbage movies, but you don't like Top Gun? Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but damn.
jeffk
AG
I get criticisms that Top Gun is cheesy or US Navy propaganda or whatnot, but it's truly an enjoyable, exciting watch. If you don't like it, it's hard to understand how you'd like just about any other film in the military action genre.

And I think this latest trailer was aimed at communicating to folks who maybe had never watched the original film what this one is all about.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I've never seen it.
Sapper Redux
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I've never seen it.

jbanda
AG
Was about to ask if this was a theater/VOD release on the same day a la Dune, but then I saw it will be on Paramount+ 45 days after release.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Now ask TC what he hasn't seen.
JB!98
AG
The call signs are just terrible! Real call signs are so much cooler to me - Bio, Heater, Flex, Vida, Curley, Organ, ........

These are some of the actual call signs of the pilots who flew in the first Top Gun. My son and I will be first in line to see the new one, but the call signs of the characters just make me cringe!
Today, unfortunately, many Americans have good reason to fear that they will be victimized if they are unable to protect themselves. And today, no less than in 1791, the Second Amendment guarantees their right to do so. - Justice Samuel Alito 2022
The Porkchop Express
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I've never seen it.
Have you read the book at least?
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I've never seen it.

Are you going to watch it in the next two months?

Can you please give us a semi-live reaction here if so?

Are you going to see the sequel in theaters?

I'm just so fascinated by this whole thing. It's like finding someone who's never seen the sky before or tried a cheeseburger or something.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I'll be watching it on Netflix before this one in theaters, but I pretty much know all the beats from pop culture.

Will post my review here.

But TC, what was the huge one you hadn't seen until just recently? Shawhank?
TCTTS
AG
Awesome.

No, Shawshank is one of my all-time favorites.

The only big movies I can think of that I haven't seen are Gone With the Wind, Dances with Wolves, and Schindler's List. There might be another one, but it's not coming to me right now.
jeffk
AG
101 Dalmatians

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.