*** TOP GUN : Maverick ***

309,600 Views | 2251 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by YNWA_AG
PatAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
who?mikejones said:

Cstrickland05 said:

TCTTS said:

My money's on Powell...

Never heard of any of these guys. Are they in movies or tv?

Powell is in a Netflix movie called set it up. It's rated in the 90s om rotten tomatoes.

He is an 07 graduate of Westwood hs in austin.
Powell was one of the main guys in Everybody Wants Some
TCTTS
AG
Wow. Love this. Powell still makes the cut, just in a different roll...

Quincey P. Morris
AG
Well that's great news.
Dro07
AG
Its Icemans son!!!
Bunk Moreland
dromo07 said:

Its Icemans son!!!

IHIOGA there was a casting call to chomp your teeth and smile and Powell killed it.
TCTTS
AG

Sex Panther
AG
I'm not sure many people would agree with Teller being someone who's empathetic that you root for
**** THE RANGERS

**** GARCIA

ALTUVE IS GOD
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, agreed. Only time I've ever felt truly sorry for one of his characters was the very end of Only the Brave, but even then I was still kind of annoyed by him.
Dro07
AG
Teller has a very punchable face...
Geriatric Punk
AG
dromo07 said:

Teller has a very punchable face...
Life's an endless party, not a punch card.
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
- Tom Cruise
- Miles Teller
- Jennifer Connelly
- Ed Harris
- Jon Hamm
- Glen Powell

What a cast so far...
FaceMask
TCTTS said:

Ed Harris looks very, very old. Almost like Gary Oldman in Dracula
TCTTS
AG
If you watch Westworld, his look nowadays definitely comes across as "cool and weathered" old rather than "gross" old, if that makes sense.
FancyKetchup14
AG
Jennifer Connelly tho...

army01
AG
aTmAg said:

jeffk said:

We have cars that park themselves and only kill a small number of people while self-driving now, aTm. Surely AI-controlled attack aircraft are right around the corner.
I'm talking about the aspect where a woman is a good pilot.

NM
TCTTS
AG
Well, this sucks...

TCTTS
AG
Just got some intel/color on this. Filming is still set to take place this September through March (as in next month). But they just didn't feel like they could have post production done in time for early July, just three months later. Apparently they're going ALL OUT for the flying sequences/effects. No one wanted to release in fall/holiday '19 (too much competition would be my guess) or winter '20 (which sucks), so they're blowing it out just before the July 4th holiday on June 26, 2020. In other words, don't believe any reports or speculation about a troubled production. Everything is still on schedule, and filming hasn't been delayed. They just want more time for post, and that's it.
jackie childs
i just assumed tom cruise needed a few extra months of training so he could actually land his own jet on a carrier
TCTTS
AG
Honestly, that doesn't sound far off.
Sex Panther
AG
jackie childs said:

i just assumed tom cruise needed a few extra months of training so he could actually land his own jet on a carrier

He'll figure it out
AGSPORTSFAN07
AG
I hope we get Gene Kranz Ed Harris!!!
Gigem314
AG
jackie childs said:

After buzzing the tower.
MGS
Gigem314 said:

jackie childs said:

After buzzing the tower.
...and one admiral's daughter.
TCTTS
AG
aTmAg
AG
TCTTS said:

I know you can't read this, but there is no way they would let that happen.
MooreTrucker
AG
aTmAg said:

TCTTS said:

Can't read this?
Bruce Almighty
AG
aTmAg said:

TCTTS said:

I'm sure that post was sarcasm as Cruise is known to do all his own stunts.
TCTTS
AG
I blocked him. But now that I can see what he wrote... really? Examples like this are why so many people dislike aTm. My post was clearly tongue in cheek. I don't actually believe that they'd let Cruise land fighter jets on aircraft carriers.
TCTTS
AG
Exactly.
MooreTrucker
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

aTmAg said:

TCTTS said:

I'm sure that post was sarcasm as Cruise is known to do all his own stunts.
But TCTTS sometimes has insider info, so ya never know......
aTmAg
AG
TCTTS said:

I blocked him. But now that I can see what he wrote... really? Examples like this are why so many people dislike aTm. My post was clearly tongue in cheek. I don't actually believe that they'd let Cruise land fighter jets on aircraft carriers.
Honestly, it wasn't that obvious to me. Tom Cruise is famous for doing his own stunts. Such as getting a gazillion hours in a helicopter for one of the mission impossible movies. Here is some background info on why I thought the notion of Tom Cruise getting to fly an F-35 needed correcting:

He was at my work a month or so ago supposedly getting fitted for a F-35 helmet (which cost $400K each):

(BTW, that's his own P-51)

And here is a picture of the pricey helmet:

Those helmets are custom fit for each pilot and are necessary because the F-35 has this thing where it projects stuff onto the glass in your helmet while you fly. Imagine a virtual reality thing you wear as you fly and you can look down and not see your legs, plane, or anything but see the ground underneath you. That's what the F-35 does. For it to work right, the helmet has to fit just right, snug, and not move at all.

People at my work were wondering why the hell were they going through that level of expense for a movie when there is absolutely no way that a causal observer would be able to tell "that symbol on his visor is off by half an inch!" That the only (not gratuitous) reason they would actually go through that expense would be if he were to fly the thing himself. He did get to fly in jets for the first Top Gun, after all.

I'm just saying, that for anybody who may think he will be flying in an F-35 for this movie like he flew in F-14's in the last one (and because he has a gazillion of flight hours in various aircraft), I'm saying that there is no way.
FancyKetchup14
AG
That's crazy to think about. When I was a kid I wanted to be a fighter pilot, but as I got older I realized I'm too dumb for that occupation.
aTmAg
AG
FancyKetchup14 said:

That's crazy to think about. When I was a kid I wanted to be a fighter pilot, but as I got older I realized I'm too dumb for that occupation.
For a while, I flew simulators nearly ever day, and what is interesting is the things that people think is hard is not so hard, and the things people don't think about being hard, is a beotch. Flying the airplane where you want it to go is pretty easy. I could grease landings, fly in formation, and whatnot fine. What is hard is keeping track of all the information that is necessary. Lot's of people with a bunch of hours in civilian planes go to pilot training and wash out.

The stick and throttle each have about a dozen switches on it. And a lot of them move in all 3 dimensions (so like a joystick that you can also push in too). The screens have something like 40 pages that you have to understand. It's sorta like that bop-it toy but on steroids. You also have to know a lot about the technology, such as how radar works, and stuff like that. When I flew virtual missions with actual test pilots, I would have to listen and talk their jargon on the radios. Often I would merely say, "wait, what?" and they would have to walk me through wtf they were asking me to do for them. What I hear is, "lwhjrqlwtkjasflshfs" and what professional pilots hear are English sentences that mean, "jam that guy for me, while I go bomb it" or something like that.

I'm sure it's like anything else, that takes a lot of practice. But it's not for everybody. It's a professional job that takes professional level experience to master.
Urban Ag
AG
1986: That's a pretty big gamble to take in a $30M dollar aircraft lieutenant

2020: That's a pretty big gamble to take putting a middle aged actor in a $178M dollar aircraft, Mr Bruckheimer

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.