*** TOP GUN : Maverick ***

301,746 Views | 2251 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by YNWA_AG
AliasMan02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Southlake said:

Ok. Since we are all Top Gun nerds here, I'll admit this:

When I flew in the Air Firce, my Squadron call sign was Iceman. I even had a flattop.

There, I said it. We also turned up our collars at parties.

Lord forgive me...

I thought everyone gave each other super embarrassing callsigns...
Guitarsoup
AG
AliasMan02 said:

Southlake said:

When I flew in the Air Firce, my Squadron call sign was Iceman. I even had a flattop.

Lord forgive me...

I thought everyone gave each other super embarrassing callsigns...

A friend's last name is Pabst and they gave him call sign "Smear"
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Looks like Gary Busey on a bender to me.
TCTTS
AG
Just FYI, for those knocking Kilmer's appearance, he's recovering from oral cancer. That, and he basically lost his voice for quite a while, too. A little over a year ago a friend of mine was at work after hours and a co-worker was still there with a friend who had come to visit. My buddy could overhear most of their conversation, but only when he got up to leave and walked past them did he realize the co-worker's friend was Val Kilmer. Said he sounded pretty bad and not at all like himself. Though, it sounds like Kilmer's definitely on the mend now and recovering, but just know that at one point his appearance got so bad that he had to wear a scarf because of the surgeries and what not. It's not like he let himself go or went crazy or anything.

I have no idea if he'll be in good enough shape to film next year, but I do know that one of the earlier drafts of the script had his character using a cane and being kind of sick or out of commission or whatever. So at one point they were planning on leaning into it, then apparently wrote him out altogether when it got worse. But I can confirm that the current draft has him back in, I just don't know to what extent. Hopefully he can make a full recovery and be ready to go, and if his Instagram is any indication, it appears as if he's at least game...
Bunk Moreland
As long as he can do the teeth chomp, we're good.
Pahdz
AGSPORTSFAN07 said:

I just hope they use some of the old practical fx like the modeling they used in the first one. Just knowing they used models for the action scenes still blows my mind when I watch it. CGI will ruin this movie for me.

I'm so scared the effects of this movie will end up like Major League 3 that I'm cautiously excited
Southlake
Can't be much more embarrassing than Iceman...
TCTTS
AG
Got confirmation last night that they're going as practical as humanly possible, effects-wise. Cruise hates green screen and wants real jets, real aircraft carriers, and real... helicopters (you'll see). Cruise obviously wants the authenticity first and foremost, but another reason is that he again, being the daredevil he is, simply wants to actually fly in these things. He wants to do as much as he can himself - not actually pilot, obviously, but at least ride / look like he's piloting.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
What's the jet gonna be?
Bunk Moreland
TCTTS said:

Got confirmation last night that they're going as practical as humanly possible, effects-wise. Cruise hates green screen and wants real jets, real aircraft carriers, and real... helicopters (you'll see). Cruise obviously wants the authenticity first and foremost, but another reason is that he again, being the daredevil he is, simply wants to actually fly in these things. He wants to do as much as he can himself - not actually pilot, obviously, but at least ride / look like he's piloting.

Hope this is true. I was going to post about this concern a while back. One of the reasons Top Gun is so great was how Tony Scott decided to shoot the film. With the incredible advancements in cgi, I was worried it'd be ****ty.

Also, this is a great YouTube video for anyone who hasn't seen it. How awesome would it be in that naval aviator community to be the guy that gets to buzz the tower?

TCTTS
AG
No clue. Didn't ask. I try not to pry too much.
AgMarauder04
AG
Either the Super Hornet or JSF is my guess.
TCTTS
AG
I know absolutely nothing about jets, so your guess is better than mine.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
AgMarauder04 said:

Either the Super Hornet or JSF is my guess.
That would make sense. I'd think if this serves any similar purpose for the Navy as the first one did they'd go JSF.

I appreciate the info you do have man. I'm glad to hear this may turn out to be decent.
Cancelled
AG
I can't think of another movie that a young me thought was so awesome, so manly, but now I see how homoerotic it was..other than maybe Spartacus...you know some men like snails some men like oysters
BoxingAg84
Haven't listened to Jim Rome in years but his take on the sequel is hilarious.

TCTTS
AG
I don't know where Rome's getting his info, but Maverick isn't an instructor in the sequel. There's a mentor vibe at one point, but he's not even in the Navy anymore.
jokershady
AG
Southlake said:

When I flew in the Air Force my Squadron call sign was Iceman. I even had a flattop.

Lord forgive me...
I think we'd all appreciate a picture!
jokershady
AG
BoxingAg84 said:

Haven't listened to Jim Rome in years but his take on the sequel is hilarious.

Clearly Jim Rome doesn't remember how the first one ended....

redag06
That means we went to the same High School. Although he is much older than I am, my parents were very close with his family.
WALTON LOADS!
AG
I just hope I can land on the aircraft carrier when the video game comes out.
Flashdiaz
AG
WALTON LOADS! said:

I just hope I can land on the aircraft carrier when the video game comes out.
me... every damn time!

sometimes this:
TCTTS
AG
Hardest, lamest, most impossible Nintendo game ever. In the hundreds of times I either played it or watched it being played, I only saw someone land on the aircraft carrier ONCE.
Pahdz
That take is old
Bunk Moreland
Yeah it was from 5 years ago or so when rumors were flaring up and they were talking Mav as an instructor.
Quad Dog
AG
I could actually consistently land on the carrier, the mid air refuel in the next level was impossible.
Pahdz
Quad Dog said:

I could actually consistently land on the carrier, the mid air refuel in the next level was impossible.

Same
jr15aggie
AG
Quad Dog said:

Yeah I never had too much trouble with the carrier. Landed it all the time no problem. But the game was hard. I remember my Dad got to the final level once... I remember there being a space shuttle in the background or something.
TCTTS
AG
GiveEmHellBill
AG
I think they need to bump this movie up a week.

I don't know...something about Top Gun 2 and the 4th of July weekend just feels right. Like the movie release equivalent to "America....F*** Yeah!"
israeliag
AG
Wow Joseph Kosinski. Not a pick I would have expected or even able to envision but makes me more interested in the film.
BigTimeAlum
AG
GiveEmHellBill said:

I think they need to bump this movie up a week.

I don't know...something about Top Gun 2 and the 4th of July weekend just feels right. Like the movie release equivalent to "America....F*** Yeah!"

I agree. 4th of July seems like the biggest layup ever. I wonder why they aren't doing that?
israeliag
AG
I've really enjoyed all of Kosinski's films (don't think everyone has), but I'd say it's pretty inarguable that the soundtracks to his films are superb. Given that Top Gun 1 has such an iconic soundtrack, I might be most excited to seeing (hearing?) what he can bring to the film on that from.
fig96
AG
Visually he's fantastic but not sure he's the strongest storyteller. Will be interesting to see either way.
TCTTS
AG
Word is that Kosinski's new movie, Granite Mountain, is really good. Comes out in October, and it's apparently his most emotional, funny, etc. and they're bringing in the writer from that one to do a new draft of TG2.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.