*** TOP GUN : Maverick ***

301,598 Views | 2251 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by YNWA_AG
NoahAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Quote:

I wonder if anyone else here was at Cinemark in CS circa '98, '99, or '00 when they had the throwback midnight showing of Top Gun. It was sold out. Everyone in there started the night off at the shot bar and then went to see the '80s idol at midnight. All of the sudden Goose dies and then after that we get beach volleyball. The movie stops and some poor representative walked to the front of the crowd. He informs everyone that the reels were received last minute and in a rush they were spliced together in the wrong order. The theatre gave everyone a free showing for a future movie. That's the last time I tried to watch Top Gun on the big screen. If they showed again tomorrow I'd be there
Haha! Yes, I was there! Was hilarious/sad.
Urban Ag
AG
Top Gun. Man, being a kid in the Reagan Era was awesome.
aTmAg
AG
My prediction:

The US military has become too dependent on drones and technology that today's pilots have lost their edge stick-and-throttle-wise. An unnamed enemy (since China buys movie tickets too) will have found some sort of exploit that makes our drones useless. Suddenly we are in need for a re-invigorated Top Gun commanded by recently retired Navy officers like of Maverick and Iceman to bring that edge back. Some young Tom Cruise wannabe will be the new Maverick and Tom and Val will teach him what they know. Suddenly a battle will break out and young Tom Cruise will be called upon along with old Tom and Val to duke it out with this unnamed foe flying black jets that oddly look like F-16s. America wins, everybody hugs, and we all go get in line to watch it again.
Post removed:
by user
TCTTS
AG
From what I understand, you're not far off. Though Val likely won't be anywhere near that involved, and he won't be flying.
Guitarsoup
AG
TCTTS said:

From what I understand, you're not far off. Though Val likely won't be anywhere near that involved, and he won't be flying.
Excess weight costs more fuel.
Urban Ag
AG
aTmAg said:

My prediction:

The US military has become too dependent on drones and technology that today's pilots have lost their edge stick-and-throttle-wise. An unnamed enemy (since China buys movie tickets too) will have found some sort of exploit that makes our drones useless. Suddenly we are in need for a re-invigorated Top Gun commanded by recently retired Navy officers like of Maverick and Iceman to bring that edge back. Some young Tom Cruise wannabe will be the new Maverick and Tom and Val will teach him what they know. Suddenly a battle will break out and young Tom Cruise will be called upon along with old Tom and Val to duke it out with this unnamed foe flying black jets that oddly look like F-16s. America wins, everybody hugs, and we all go get in line to watch it again.
please, not this guy

Sapper Redux
SheriffBarclay said:

Not sure how I'd turn out if I saw TG at age 6.

Awesome. And quite possibly a little bi-curious.
Ghost91
Urban Ag said:

Top Gun. Man, being a kid in the Reagan Era was awesome.
Yeah, it was, but I'd put the odds of the sequel being another vehicle to push the liberal agenda at around 99.9%.

Bad guys will be rednecks, or better yet Russians. Tom Cruise & his boys will be defending poor downtrodden middle eastern refugees, etc etc.
TCTTS
AG
Flashdiaz
AG
Is this pilot (not the duck) going to be in the second one as well:

TCTTS
AG
As long as he has a good script to work from, visually - and musically - Kosinski could actually nail this...

TCTTS
AG
Yep. Just got confirmation on this. Not a done deal yet, but close. Cruise not only worked with Kosinski on Oblivion, but Kosinski's next, Granite Mountain (which comes out in October and features a great cast) is apparently "really good." And of all the justified complaints about TRON: Legacy, none were about the action - in fact, the action was not only great, it was super clear and well choreographed, which could translate well to the dogfights and what not here. We just need a great script now. Fingers crossed that's already been taken care of.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Of Kosinski's two movies (TRON: Legacy and Oblivion) I do have to say that he composes beautiful scenes. Oblivion especially is a gorgeous film.
Sex Panther
AG
DC should look at Kosinski
TCTTS
AG
Yep, and he also has GREAT musical scores, too. Could see him really embracing something cool here that plays off the original theme.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Can he direct Top Gun's dogfights? He did some very cool ones in each of his movies:

TCTTS
AG
Surely they've had talks with him at one point or another. My guess is after Tron, he doesn't want to go back to anything even close to that vibe/genre for a long while.
Sex Panther
AG
You're probably right. I could just see him doing something really cool looking with the much maligned Flash.

Definitely on board with him doing Top Gun 2 though.
powerbelly
AG
TCTTS said:

Holy **** that sounds awful.
wangus12
AG
Mmmm Olivia Wilde

GoneGirl
AG
Just....don't....F...it...up.
NoahAg
Quote:

young Tom Cruise wannabe will be the new Maverick
Two words: Shia. Labeouf.
BQ78
AG
He will not take away our need for speed!
fig96
AG
GiveEmHellBill said:

Of Kosinski's two movies (TRON: Legacy and Oblivion) I do have to say that he composes beautiful scenes. Oblivion especially is a gorgeous film.
Both those films are beautiful, amazing concept art too. Both also got a bit lost in the plot, but they're great to look at.

Random sidenote: one of my former coworkers went to high school with him in Iowa. That was an odd conversation one afternoon: "Oh, I went to high school with the guy who's directing that new Tron movie."
MECH Abe
AG
Ghost91 said:

Bad guys will be rednecks, or better yet Russians

I mean, weren't they kind of the implied enemy in the original?
FL_Ag1998
AG
The 2017 version of 1980's Tom Cruise?.....Zach Efron comes to mind.
TCTTS
AG
Don't think "Young Tom Cruise."

Think... "Young Anthony Edwards," if you get my drift.

I have no idea if they're still going down that road - probably not - but that dynamic was apparently on the table at one point...

country
AG
TCTTS said:

Don't think "Young Tom Cruise."

Think... "Young Anthony Edwards," if you get my drift.

Goose's son is now a RIO badass but his pilot dies in a flat spin. He goes to get advice from Maverick. Mav tells him he can either show up and graduate or not. The graduating class is then given a highly secret mission and Maverick tells him "Goose's son, you'll get your pilot when you get to the ship. And if you don't.....give me a call, I'll fly with you."
YouBet
AG
NoahAg said:

Quote:

young Tom Cruise wannabe will be the new Maverick
Two words: Shia. Labeouf.

Looking forward to the 4chan Easter eggs!
ac04
ApachePilot
AG
I lived my life based on Top Gun

I spent years perfecting my bite.
Guitarsoup
AG
ApachePilot said:

I lived my life based on Top Gun
You know how I know you are gay?
Two Down
AG
Guitarsoup said:

BQ78 said:

Kilmer and Cruise would have to be four or five star admirals now or been retired for a few years. Putting them in the cockpit will make as much sense as putting the President of the US in a fighter jet, ala' Independece Day
Not only that, but if they do something really stupid like have them fly drones - that's an enlisted MOS. They are fighter pilots, so obviously they are officers.

Unless they are consulting for AF or something off the wall. AF requires UAV pilots to be commissioned.
Guitarsoup
AG
Two Down said:

Guitarsoup said:

BQ78 said:

Kilmer and Cruise would have to be four or five star admirals now or been retired for a few years. Putting them in the cockpit will make as much sense as putting the President of the US in a fighter jet, ala' Independece Day
Not only that, but if they do something really stupid like have them fly drones - that's an enlisted MOS. They are fighter pilots, so obviously they are officers.

Unless they are consulting for AF or something off the wall. AF requires UAV pilots to be commissioned.
Really? I know an enlisted AF guy that swears he flies armed drones. What a *****.

Anyway, if Maverick is flying drones in some smelly trailer, this is going to be the worst movie ever made.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.