Manchester United 2019-20 Thread

77,676 Views | 1426 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Dre_00
ScottishFire
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This is an awesome end to the season.
United have West Ham and Leicester (Tied with United and +3 GD)
Chelsea have Liverpool (away and pool's trophy ceremony) and Wolves (also fighting for Champions League)
Leicester have Tottenham (fighting for Europa) and United

Not to mention, United play Chelsea Sunday in the FA Cup Semis.

There's a real chance for this United team to end on a great note and enter next season with a lot of optimism.

GGMU!
Furlock Bones
AG
Dre_00 said:

According to Hodgson he dislocated his "arm". Not sure if that's elbow, shoulder, or what but it apparently will require surgery.
that's make sense. it was wild. i never saw much in the fall except him almost grab is chest. they were giving him oxygen instantly and i was thinking is this guy having a heart attack.
Mathguy64
AG
Spurs up 3-0 in 1H. There goes the LC goal diff.

ETA the next tiebreaker is goals scored and LC is +4 there.
ScottishFire
AG
Looks like a 5-3-2, pack the bus type of day.
Mathguy64
AG
Anthony Taylor just affected multiple games. Jonny Evans is sitting on a yellow and commits a possible act of violent conduct. Certainly. Foul worthy of a card. Taylor was in the process of showing a yellow and Evans was already walking to the tunnel when Taylor realized the implications of the yellow and put his card back and Evans came back.

And now Evans committed his third YC foul and still gets to stay.

Taylor isn't just affecting this match but the one next week.
Dre_00
GD is actually even now though Leicester do have more goals for.

So this effectively means that if we beat West Ham, Leicester would have to beat us by our West Ham margin of victory. So come on 10-0 victory against West Ham.

And if we lose at West Ham then Leicester is a must win. Draw would see Leicester in 4th on goals for.
Dre_00
Maguire and Bailly clash heads. It was Bailly's second head injury in short succession. Forces Ole to go more attacking as Martial comes on for Bailly. My guess is Bailly is done for the season as he's getting a lot of treatment and concussion protocol will likely dictate he misses a week at minimum.
ScottishFire
AG
Giroud nabs an ugly goal in the 11th minute of stoppage time.
Dre_00
Brandon with a horrible giveaway and then De Gea with one of the worst goalie errors I've seen. 2-0.

We ain't scoring 3 with this lineup. Pack it in, let's not get anyone else concussed and focus on West Ham.
Dre_00
Ole subs on Pogba and Greenwood in an effort to salvage the game. I respect the mentality but West Ham is so much more important than this game now that it's 2-0 in the 2nd half.
ScottishFire
AG
Rough day for De Gea.
Dre_00
Maybe it's just the moment but I legit think that could be the moment that opens the door for Henderson. Or for at least an honest competition for #1. Of course if De Gea pulls of a string of stunning games after today then maybe not but Ole isn't an idiot. He's not going to rake him over the coals publicly. He's going to stand by him in public as he should right now because now is not the time for a goalie change (probably). But there's no reason to think that Ole, a man who has made it obvious that he wants to adhere to the United tradition of promoting youth, won't give a 23 year old goalie who has excelled in the EPL a solid look at goalie.
Thunder18
AG
Both of those goals were so soft
ScottishFire
AG
Honestly, I was thinking the same thing.
He's given up two goals that Romero most likely would have stopped.
Thunder18
AG
Maguire finally gets one on target...on the wrong goal
Dre_00
I personally don't think the 1st was his fault but the 2nd was so egregious it doesn't matter.

And now Maguire's OG makes it 3. United's performances against Southampton and Crystal Palace were pretty horrible so to say this result is a surprise would be a lie. Need to get our **** together or else we won't be able to take advantage of the gift Leicester is trying to give us.
Mathguy64
AG
DDG is really an enigma. He makes the hardest saves in the world and yet is prone to letting in the softest goals ever. His hands and focus at shots at him are horrid. And he really isn't a modern GK capable of playing with his feet. And like it or not, the Law changes with restarts in the area have changed the game to build from the back and you really need a GK who is comfortable and competent with their feet.
Dre_00
mathguy86 said:

DDG is really an enigma. He makes the hardest saves in the world and yet is prone to letting in the softest goals ever.

On Twitter I called him 2020 Heurelho Gomes.
Thunder18
AG
I know a trophy would've been nice, but the decision to play so many of the first team guys on short rest KNOWING that we have to win out is baffling
lamivudine
Man giving all that money to MaGuire in hindsight looks like a bad move.
planoaggie123
AG
I like him but man i want more out of him. I get why they spent the money the return issue seems that he peaked and hasn't preformed that level consistently in a while.
Mathguy64
AG
It's not Maguire as much as Lindelof. Maguire and AWB are covering for Lindelof a lot. They need another CB. Or They need Bailly without the injury and stupid.

The trajectory of this team is upwards and the lineup holes there two years ago have been have largely been addressed. I think they still need another CB and a number 6 (Matic has players really well the last 6 months but a younger version would be nice). If Pogba leaves Fred has shown he's capable but I really want another center mid or right winger. But I don't see the massive holes I saw 2 years ago.
planoaggie123
AG
Interesting perspective. I could see that. I can't pretend to understand the game well enough. I want to like lindelof but he does seem to lack champions league quality.

Does anyone think Bailly could have that quality minus the injuries?
Thunder18
AG
The amount of undeserved ire towards Lindelof is crazy...Maguire and AWB have not been up to par since the restart. Bailly is Phil Jones 2.0- can't stay healthy and when he makes a mistake it's usually catastrophic
planoaggie123
AG
I love the sport and played 10 years but I can't break it down so always Like to hear perspective and try and watch for that in the future. I know we have a defensive issue just can't figure it out.
Thunder18
AG
Probably should've replied to mathguy86's post instead of yours. Either way, we do need to get better squad depth across the board, but I'm sure we'll just blow our load on Sancho
Dre_00
Would just like to point out that it's extremely difficult to assess people during this restart. This is such an odd circumstance that it's hard to extrapolate the performances into a more normal setting.

I agree that Maguire probably wasn't worth the fee but he's been a lot better than the previous center backs. He's made some mistakes since coming back but are those mistakes a permanent part of his game or are a symptom of playing 90 minutes of football every 4 days for the last month? Hard to say.

Long story short, I'm inclined to give players the benefit of the doubt if errors start popping up that weren't there 4 months ago.
bagger05
AG
Okay, lads. Take care of business today.
Thunder18
AG
Just win
Mathguy64
AG
Yep, it's real simple. This team controls its own destiny. Just win, baby. Just win.
Mathguy64
AG
The lineup is in. The only head shaker is Williams for AWB.

Starting XI: De Gea; Fosu-Mensah, Lindelof, Maguire, Williams; Matic, Pogba; Greenwood, Fernandes, Rashford; Martial. Subs: Romero, Dalot, Wan-Bissaka, Fred, James, Lingard, Mata, McTominay, Ighalo.

ETA, Ole just said AWB picked up a knock against Chelsea and that hopefully he could come in today if needed.
Thunder18
AG
It's really a shame Shaw rolled his ankle against Southampton. His combination play with Rashford on the left wing was really blossoming. Hope he can get back to full health soon
bagger05
AG
Here we go. Glad we're wearing red and not beige.
Mathguy64
AG
Going to be a long match. WHU is already playing 11 behind the ball.
Mathguy64
AG
Fosu-Mensah has already played 2 long backwards crosses that have almost been picked off. Yikes.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.