Manchester United 2019-20 Thread

76,085 Views | 1426 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Dre_00
Dre_00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Well, I think it's time to face the facts. We're a second tier team at best and will be for the foreseeable future. I'd say we're more likely to finish mid table than we are 2nd. Supporting United now is what I assume it was like supporting them in the 80s. Let's hope our version of the 90s comes sooner rather than later.

6th place just isn't going to cut it. Mourinho didn't last the season and after an impressive start, Ole won 2 of his final 12 games. We've all talked about what needs to happen this season. At least 7-8 players need to go, we need a proper DoF in yesterday, and we need some young talent that doesn't mind not playing CL football and that the top clubs aren't interested in...which won't be easy to find.

Will it happen? Will we see some, any, improvement in how things are run and on the field performances? Who the hell knows but I'll be rolling with the squad nonetheless. Man United will never die.
Thunder18
AG
I assume this is the official thread because of the angry emoji?!?
boogieman
AG
Lol I didn't realize this is next season's thread when I opened it. Panicked and said "wtf, Where are all the posts
bagger05
AG
That flash of hope we had after Mou was canned was short lived. Awful end of the year. Problems extend so far beyond the manager.

Sticking with the lads anyway. GGMU.
Dre_00
Indeed. The other thread is a cautionary tale as to what can happen when you post from your cell.

1st real transfer rumor of the off season is Daniel James from Swansea for 15 million. Valencia and Herrera are already confirmed as leaving on free transfers.
jeffk
AG
I like the other one better.
Truvada_for_prep
go get andera belottie now
Thunder18
AG
Home kits look slick!

Furlock Bones
AG
United are in an awful situation right now. paying big money to nonproductive players. not in Champions league next year. no real identity. as a brand, they don't have the rope to go young and let a team come to maturity for future top level. they have to continue buying people and tried to win when in reality they aren't even close.
bagger05
AG
Thunder18 said:

Home kits look slick!

Please just get rid of the ones that look like somebody left a red sock in with the white laundry.
Thunder18
AG
Totally agree, hated the pinks. The navy blue with gold kit from this past season was awesome though
ja86
AG
Well here is hoping for a better transfer window this year compared to the last few...

I don't know if any of you follow redit but there is an interesting post on there that discusses the transfer plans for the summer. They seem to have a pretty good record for being somewhat accurate (sometimes lol). Anyway I've provided a link if you want to go down that wormhole.

Transfer plans moving forward...

Dre_00
Rumor is De Ligt hasn't ruled out United and he likes the notion of being one of the stars at United. At Barca, he's just a guy.

I don't believe it but I'd drop so much money for that kid. He's a once in a generation CB.
jeffk
AG
Also rumored to be wanting to play for Klopp, so IT'S ON.
Dre_00
also rumored to be SHUT YOUR PIE HOLE.
jeffk
Mathguy64
AG
This seems like a good moment to add this to the watchlist.
boogieman
ja86
AG
word is Manchester United agree fee for Daniel James.
Dre_00
And word is that David De Gea is insisting on Alexis Sanchez wages which United don't want to give him. He'll either go to PSG for 50 mil or leave on a free after next season.
ja86
AG
ever since the world cup DDG has been wonkie. That is a lot of money to pay to a head case....
Dre_00
I wouldn't pay him that money either but I don't blame him for asking for it. I mean hell, if your club is going to pay a guy 350k a week before kicking a ball and you're the 4 time player of the year for the same club...it's a logical thing to ask for.

Not only has Alexi completely flopped on the field but he's completely effed up the wage structure. United finding new ways to screw the pooch.
Griffle
Dre_00 said:

I wouldn't pay him that money either but I don't blame him for asking for it. I mean hell, if your club is going to pay a guy 350k a week before kicking a ball and you're the 4 time player of the year for the same club...it's a logical thing to ask for.

I agree. If David thinks it is time to move on, so be it. He's been a fantastic player and quality individual and I'll be sad to see him go but know there is always a replacement.

What I do worry about is the report that Romero is that replacement. I think we would realize very quickly how in short spurts he's good to play against lower level teams, but against the other top teams he would not cut it. He is a very competent #2, let's keep him there.
Truvada_for_prep
David a quality person wasn't he involved in rape ring?
Thunder18
AG
Since DDG has balked at a new deal, looks like we may be eyeing Donnarumma as a potential replacement
ryan_m
Hearing that we've agreed terms with Ajax for De Ligt!

What a steal this would be from Barca. Hats of to Ed if this is true
Dre_00
Based on recent history, it's more likely that we're getting played. Until Woodward isn't the primary negotiator for transfers, I have no faith in the club making sensible deals for sensible players.
Thunder18
AG
I was able to sign De Ligt, de Jong, Joao Felix, and Joshua Kimmich in one transfer window on FIFA so surely woodward should be able to do the same in real life, right?
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
ja86 said:

Well here is hoping for a better transfer window this year compared to the last few...

I don't know if any of you follow redit but there is an interesting post on there that discusses the transfer plans for the summer. They seem to have a pretty good record for being somewhat accurate (sometimes lol). Anyway I've provided a link if you want to go down that wormhole.

Transfer plans moving forward...

Marcos Rojo as a DM is scary. Not sure I like that. Like focus on the youth academy though. If the "outs" list is accurate, they will be bringing in a lot more than 4, unless they feel the academy can cover for that
ja86
AG
Marcos Rojo as a DM is a very scary proposition.
Mathguy64
AG
Rojo won't be playing much. He'll get red carded the first match. The dude is a walking talking two footed tackle waiting to happen.
ryan_m
If the rumours turn out to be true, imagine a back line of: Wan-Bissaka Lindelof De Ligt Shaw
Dre_00
I doubt they'll be able to accomplish all of that in one transfer window. Even well run clubs would find it difficult to execute that kind of turnover effectively. It'll take 2-3 windows in my opinion.
Griffle
Reports coming out this morning that United believe he (DeLigt) is going to Barcelona. This is crazy season, and I don't put hope in anything I see until it is confirmed.

On a related note, I have no idea why he would choose United over the host of other clubs that want him unless it was money. A team in disarray, with no Champions League, and a roster that leaves a lot to be desired doesn't sound like the place where the most sought after defenseman in this market would choose to go.
Dre_00
I agree. I put the chances of him coming here at virtually nil. The only thing United can play is the "there you'll be a guy but here you'll be the guy" card. That usually doesn't work though.

The transfers for James and Longstaff seem much more likely to be honest. Don't know if they're good enough but that's what we have to go far at this point.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.