Manchester United 2019-20 Thread

77,707 Views | 1426 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Dre_00
Dre_00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The crappy thing is Chelsea dropped points and we still again don't take full advantage. League games coming up against City and Spurs make 5th let alone 4th tenuous at best.
Thunder18
AG
City will be tough as usual. I actually think we will spank Spurs
Dre_00
It's at Tottenham and Jose is still good for a result now and again even if he isn't what he was.
Furlock Bones
AG
Dre_00 said:

The crappy thing is Chelsea dropped points and we still again don't take full advantage. League games coming up against City and Spurs make 5th let alone 4th tenuous at best.

Absolutely agree. This match should have put us within 1 of Chelsea. But, this has basically been the team's mo all year. Every time they have a chance to close the gap they drop points.
Thunder18
AG
Reports out today that Pogba is returning to training at Carrington this week...might see him back in action in the next few weeks
Dre_00
If the man wants to be considered for European Championships then he needs to have some modicum of match fitness. I have no doubts he'll play in March and April if he's able to. I doubt he'll be playing for United in August.
Dre_00
Starting lineup against Derby is more or less the 1st choice central midfielders and then backups everywhere else.
Dre_00
A very blah performance so far. Rooney forced a fine save off a free kick. Derby had another shot flash just wide. Lingard continues to be horrible.
Dre_00
Shaw scores one of the more flukier goals you'll see. He attempts to hit on the volley but bounces it straight into ground, the ball seems to roll up Lingard's back, over the goalie's head, and into the back of the net.
Dre_00
Ighalo makes it 2.
Dre_00
3-0...on to the quarters against Norwich. 2nd half was a walkover. Derby had 1 or 2 chances early. If one goes in maybe it's a different game but they didn't and it wasn't.
Thunder18
AG
Love to see Ighalo scoring for us. Shaw continues to have a good run of form. Hopefully everyone is healthy and ready for the derby
Dre_00
Here's our remaining schedule vs. our primary competitors for 4th

United

City
@ Spurs
Sheffield United
@ Brighton
Bournemouth
@ Villa
Southampton
@ Palace
West Ham
@ Leicester

Chelsea

Everton
@ Villa
City
@ West Ham
Watford
@ Palace
@ Sheffield United
Norwich
@ Liverpool
Wolves

Wolves

Brighton
@ West Ham
Bournemouth
@ Villa
Arsenal
@ Sheffield United
Everton
@ Burnley
Crystal Palace
@ Chelsea

Spurs

@ Burnley
United
West Ham
@ Sheffield United
Everton
@ Bournemouth
Arsenal
@ Newcastle
Leicester
@ Crystal Palace

Sheffield United

@ Villa
Norwich
@ Newcastle
@ United
Spurs
@ Burnley
Wolves
Chelsea
@ Leicester
Everton
@ Southampton

(You could in theory add Arsenal to this list as if they win their game in hand they would be level on points with Spurs and 2 points behind United. But they are currently 10th so I've left them off for now.)

If United can get through the next 3 games with good results, they have a strong chance as their remaining games are relatively easy (putting aside the fact that we seem to save our worst performances for crap teams). Still playing in Europe and the FA Cup.

Chelsea have, by my count, 5 games left that will be against tough opponents and 2 of them against really tough opponents (only team with Liverpool still to play). Of course they don't have the distraction of the FA Cup and they are about to be without the distraction of European football as well.

Wolves' schedule is actually pretty straight forward. No top 4 teams other than @ Chelsea on the last day. Their most challenging games are against direct competitors for 4th and that's not a bad thing. They still have European football to contend with.

Spurs' schedule isn't horrible either. They have 4-5 challenging games left but almost all of them are at home. They do have European football but likely not for much longer.

Sheffield have probably 6 tough games left but none against the top 2. No other competitions to compete in besides EPL.

So, based on my mostly qualitative analysis, I'd say Wolves has the least obstacles to 4th. In my mind, they have the easiest EPL schedule and that overcomes any extra distraction that their Europa League run might bring. Plus, they are only 3 points behind Chelsea as is.
Mathguy64
AG
Lineup is in.

DDG; AWB, Lindelof, Maguire, Shaw; Matic, Fred, Williams; Bruno Fernandez, James, Martial.

With the pasting that Chelsea is putting on Everton, we really need at least a point out of this.

ETA: KDB didn't make the travel squad. That helps.
Mathguy64
AG
Watching the no handshake open is weird.
Mathguy64
AG
Borderline yellow on Otamendi. Tactical, foul with the knee and hands up in the face/neck area
Mathguy64
AG
What a free kick by Bruno. That was sublime.
Furlock Bones
AG
brilliant play and goal.
Skitch05
AG
Beautiful finish from Martial as well.
Mathguy64
AG
AWB just made Zinchenko his *****.
Out in Left Field
AG
You just got Dean'd
Mathguy64
AG
Not simulation. Not a foul worthy of a PK but definite contact.
boogieman
AG
Bad call.
No penalty for getting his foot kicked and gets carded for simulation.
Thunder18
AG
Should've been a penalty, it was very weak but he completely missed the ball and made contact with Fred's foot
Skitch05
AG
I guess I can't really be too mad at VAR missing that since United have benefitted from it a fair amount recently.
Mathguy64
AG
That's why everyone his high pressing GKs. Because sooner or later they are going to give one up.
Mathguy64
AG
Starting to bunker in and cracks are appearing. Hold on to your butts.
Mathguy64
AG
Swapping a ST for a CDM and a LW in a back 5 for a CB. Come on Ole. Don't park it that bad.
boogieman
AG
Milk that clock!
Mathguy64
AG
Caught Ederson playing sweeper keeper!!!
Mantis Toboggan MD
AG
And that's how you end a derby!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
boogieman
AG
That seals it!
Out in Left Field
AG
Lol
Mathguy64
AG
That's just a horrible throw by Ederson.
Skitch05
AG
Nice way to end the game.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.