Manchester United 2019-20 Thread

76,081 Views | 1426 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Dre_00
Thunder18
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Calling this team a dumpster fire is an insult to dumpster fires
TheStunned
I hope we get relegated. Maybe that will finally be a wake up call for the ****heads that own the team. **** them and **** their money. Oh and **** Woodward.
Dre_00
The Glazers and Woodward are terrible. The squad has nowhere near enough talent. But Ole seems to have been found out. This is effectively the same squad he had at his disposal when he started and he got those great results except better. Yes he hasn't had Pogba and Martial much to start this season but he has had AWB (mostly), Maguire, and James.

We've scored 6 goals in the run of play this season. And it's not like we ended the last season on fire. He's been found out. Not being Mourinho was good enough for a while. And he's a player's manager so that helped. But he doesn't seem to have the tactically and managerial nous to do much more beyond that and counter. We wouldn't be top 4 without him but there are a lot of managers out there who would be better than him. Hell I'd take Wilder off Sheffield United at this point.
bagger05
AG
Do y'all think Ole will be out by Christmas?
Mathguy64
AG
Honestly I don't think it will matter. The roster when healthy was not good. You could make a good argument that while the back 4 is better, the front 6 are not just worse but measurably worse than last year.

Now add in injuries at AWB, Shaw, Lindelof plus Pogba and Martial and it's a disaster for any manager.
ja86
AG
I was not expecting much, even put a little money on the draw, but didn't think we would get goosed by Newcastle ...
Dre_00
I'm sure there's a more thorough, less flawed way to do this but I went back and looked at the starting lineup for United last season starting with Ole's first game in charge.

Cardiff (5-1 W): Shaw, Jones, Lindelof, Young, Pogba, Matic, Herrera, Martial, Rashford, Lingard. (Lingard scored 2, Rashford, Martial, and Herrera each scored 1)

Huddersfield (3-1 W): Shaw, Jones, Lindelof, Dalot, Matic, Pogba, Fred, Martial, Rashford, Lingard (Pogba with 2 and Matic with the 3rd)

Bournemouth (4-1 W): Shaw, Lindelof, Bailly, Young, Pogba, Matic, Herrera, Martial, Rashford, Lingard (Pogba with 2, Rashford and Lukaku...who came on in the 70th...with the others)

Newcastle (2-0 W): Shaw, Jones, Lindelof, Valencia, Matic, Herrera, Pogba, Martial, Rashford, Mata (Lukaku...who came on in the 63rd....and Rashford with the goals)

Reading (2-0 W): Young, Jones, Darmian, Dalot, Fred, Perreira, McTominay, Sanchez, Lukaku, Mata (Lukaku and Mata with the goals)

Spurs (1-0 W): Shaw, Jones, Lindelof, Young, Pogba, Matic, Herrera, Lingard, Rashford, Martial (Rashford with the goal)

Brighton (2-1 W): Dalot, Jones, Lindelof, Young, Pogba, Matic, Herrera, Martial, Rashford, Lingard (Pogba PK and Rashford with the goals)

Arsenal (3-1 W): Shaw, Lindelof, Bailly, Young, Pogba, Matic, Herrera, Lingard, Sanchez, Lukaku (Sanchez, Lingard, Martial with the goals)

Burnley (2-2 D): Shaw, Jones, Lindelof, Young, Matic, Pogba, Perreira, Rashford, Lukaku, Mata (Pogba PK and Lindelof)

That takes us up to the end of January. The results continue to be pretty good until atfer the PSG turnaround in mid-March. But that's 9 games at the start of Ole's tenure and I think adding the next 6 games through the 2nd leg of PSG would show a similar pattern. Yes he has had injuries this season (for sure) and yes there are some players who played regularly in that run that aren't on the team today. But other than Herrera, I don't see a single front 6 player in those starting lineups who isn't on the roster today. You can't blame Ole for injuries to Martial and Pogba. But to say that the front 6 talent is drastically worse than it was then seems wrong because it hasn't changed all that much. Lukaku and Sanchez were part time players at best who only really started FA Cup games. Rashford, Lingard, Mata, Matic, etc. etc. etc. are all playing horribly now but they didn't all forget to play football. If you have a bunch of players whose form has fallen off a cliff, it just can't be down to the players and not at all on the manager's shoulders. We can't be saying that any other manager would also have seen the form of those players drop so drastically. While I absolutely love Ander Herrera and think he's sorely missed, we can't be saying that his absence is the primary reason why these 9 games are so completely opposite from the 8 games that started this season and we can't be saying that any other manager would've suffered a similar fate without him. I just don't see how any of that is logical.
Dre_00
Since our team is horrible, let's enjoy this fantastic bit of WAG content...

TheStunned
So Vardys wife is a rat just like he is. Will never forget his dive against Rafael that was given as a penalty.
Dre_00
Pogba and De Gea out this weekend. I want to burn all of my soccer teams in a funeral pyre.
jeffk
ryan_m
Mason Greenwood signs a new long term deal https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/50102426
Griffle
Andy Cole and Bryan Robson in Dallas for an I Love United event at the Rustic tomorrow. They will be watching the game with fans in attendance.
Mathguy64
AG
Im watching. I don't know why, but I'm watching.
ryan_m
Rashford with a beautiful counter attack goal!
Mathguy64
AG
VAR ignoreth and VAR taketh away.
boogieman
AG
Wake up young!
Dre_00
Caught the last 15 minutes. Rojo and Young proving once again that they are top notch defenders worthy of the best teams in this world. No idea why Barcelona and Bayern haven't come asking about them yet.

Oh well, I guess we didn't lose...but I'm still not confident this will matter much in regards to "turning around the season".
Mathguy64
AG
2 points from relegation. And 2 points from 7th.
jeffk
AG
Good work today, boys.
Thunder18
AG
We actually looked really good in the first half, unfortunately the one mental lapse cost us 2 points
Dre_00
That does seem to be the consensus but since I only caught the portion of the game where we looked crap, I was probably more negative than I would've been had a watched the whole game.

Still don't think it means much in the grand scheme of things but who knows.
Furlock Bones
AG
the goal we gave up was truly atrocious and put a big downer on what was a surprisingly good match for us.
Thunder18
AG
As soon as I saw AWB loafing out to close down Robertson on the wing I knew it was going to be a dangerous play. 3 of our defenders didn't do their job on one play and it cost us 2 points
Mathguy64
AG
It's a pillow fight this weekend. We play at Carrow Road. 14th versus 19th. Separated by 3 points. It's a big 3 point relegation level battle.
Dre_00
A win over Partian Belgrade. An away win no less. Looks like we played...not well but...a win!
ja86
AG
If wasn't for the pen this would be our second straight Europa league game without a shot on target. Brutal
Thunder18
AG
Lingard did have a shot rip off the post, but so did Partizan. Seems like we can only beat 'P' teams on the road
Thunder18
AG
Here's a very thorough breakdown of our struggles scoring under Ole and how they all basically come down to our midfield not being good enough, particularly in Pogba's absence.

Mathguy64
AG
Standing in line in Austin at the Fan Fest. I'm going to be kissed if I drove 2 hours and don't get in.
jeffk
AG
Are you going to kiss Rog or someone else?
Mathguy64
AG
I'm somewhere in the mass you see in TV.
Mathguy64
AG
Bunch of Pool supporters singing and a ManU group finishes their chorus each time with a loud "I ****e!"
boogieman
AG
Awful penalty take by Rashford.
boogieman
AG
But makes up for it with a nice shot during run of play.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.