Manchester United 2019-20 Thread

76,079 Views | 1426 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Dre_00
Aston94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Goooood lord, that boy is quick!
Furlock Bones
AG
Dre_00 said:

It was even a full year. It was like...5 games.

Naw. It was a year. Started at WC.
Dre_00
So you're telling me he was poor the entire season? He may have started having off games in the World Cup but he had some very good games too.

We'll see what happens this year but personally, that shouldn't diminish the fact that he saved United's ass dozens of times in the last 5 years and that he's about to hit a goalie's prime. Sign him up.
Mathguy64
AG
DDG's issue is twofold. First he clearly lost confidence the last 1/4 of the season. He had the GK equivalent of the yips. Second, he had the likes of Jones, Smalling and Young along his back line. A couple of big bruising CBs would go a long way to fixing what ailed him.
Thunder18
AG
We look decent so far against Inter, still lacking that killer instinct in the final third
ryan_m
I just woke up. How have the new boys looked?
ryan_m
Mason Greenwood with the cool finish in traffic! Look out for this kid this year
Thunder18
AG
AWB looks like the real deal. James got bullied a little bit today and strughled. The young kids that came on in the 2nd half looked pretty sharp, Chong and Greenwood had some good play
Dre_00
Lille's president has said that a move for Nicholas Pepe is "almost done". He wouldn't say with what club though. United have been rumored to be interested but given that 1) he'll probably cost about 80 million EUR and 2) United are probably focusing on a CB and a CM, I doubt United will be the team he goes to. But you never know I suppose.
Griffle
I saw the same reported for Milinkovic-Savic today as well. I can't imagine we get Pepe, Milinkovic-Savic and Maguire all in the same window unless Pogba is walking out the door when Bale leaves Real Madrid.
Dre_00
And Fernandes rumor keeps plugging along but yeah, I agree. Maybe 1 or 2 of those players...max.
Dre_00
Bailly has to be stretchered off against Spurs. Speculation is a bad knee injury. Leicester just added another 20 million to Maguire's asking price.
ryan_m
What does this man have to do to stay healthy?
Thunder18
AG
I know we desperately need a CB but Bruno Fernandes looked damn good last night vs Liverpool. Him and Pogba would be a devastatimg duo in midfield IMO.
Griffle
I'm quite worried if we start the season with this midfield and Jones or Smalling playing considerable minutes. It will be worse than last year with no Herrera.
Thunder18
AG
Hopefully McSauce takes over Matic's role and Pereira can fill Herrera's role. I liked both of them sticking up for James today after Sissoko stomped on him. Pereira also got a naughty little tackle in on Kane afterwards.
Griffle

Looks like there is movement for The Big Thumbs Up. All kidding aside, I wish the guy the best. He was nothing but a class act human while at United.
ryan_m
After Lukaku leaves, I feel like we're gonna wrap up these transfers. My bet is on 2 more: Maguire, and a CM. Maybe Bruno or Erickson. Only two more weeks until the market closes
ja86
AG
I agree,
Dre_00
He's a much better forward than he's given credit for. I have no problem that Rashford is first choice but he's a talent. Let's hope United stay firm in their valuation and don't give him away for 60 cents on the dollar.
Skitch05
AG
Tons of smoke out there right now about a Lukaku/Dybala swap deal with Juventus. Probably will amount to nothing, but that would be an interesting move.
planoaggie123
AG
I would definitely be ok with that sap. I don't know that i have seen a ton of details and if it would be a straight swap or Dybala + Cash for Lukaku. Seems like maybe straight?

Also, just saw an article about going for Umtiti instead of Maguire and I think I would be ok from what I have read on Umitit briefly.

Would really like to see a strong end to the transfer window!
ryan_m
I've heard Maguire is all but done, and it sounds like Bruno Fernandes is close. If we can pull of a Lukaku-Dybala swap, I would be genuinely happy with our first team
ja86
AG
Somebody is going to have to be the dmc, matic just doesn't have it anymore.
Dre_00
As long as Dybala is properly motivated and wants to play here, then it could work. Otherwise, it'll be Di Maria all over again.
Dre_00
Maguire for 85 million GBP confirmed. He's not worth that kind of cash but at least it's a CB. Woodward got played on the fee though...again.

If he ends up having a Van Dijk like influence it won't matter much but I'm skeptical he will. We shall see.
wangus12
AG
I imagine spending all that cash on someone who is about the same as Mustafi. The British inflation got ya'll bad

Aston94
AG
Well United paid roughly double his value in the market, but that seems to be what these big clubs have to do right now.

Definitely fills a needed spot, and gives United some needed depth in Central defense.
Thunder18
AG
Absolutely stupid fee for a defender not named VVD, but it's not my money so welcome to OT, Slabhead
Skitch05
AG
He's an upgrade, and seems like he may be a good compliment to Lindelof. He also knows the PL already, so there shouldn't be too much adjustment needed. United got an upgrade at CB and RB this off-season, so you can't complain too much about that.

Now bring on Dybala.
Dre_00
Everyone though 75 million for VVD was too much so maybe we'll be proven wrong too.

But I'm skeptical.
OregonAggie
AG
Dre_00 said:

Everyone though 75 million for VVD was too much so maybe we'll be proven wrong too.

But I'm skeptical.

He's no VVD but I think he's a pretty damn good defender. The market has gone nuts so you guys paid what you had to pay. I think he'll be a consistently good player for y'all.
ryan_m
Comparing player prices from even a year ago is pointless. Inflation is crazy, all we should care about is whether or not he's a good signing. I personally believe he's a great defender. Not world class, but definitely an improvement in a needed area
Mathguy64
AG
Agreed that the money question is pointless. It's apples to oranges year over year and if VVD were available he would be $130-150 MM transfer.

As for the player, is he better than Jones? Smalling? Rojo? We all know the answer.
Mathguy64
AG
The new Captain: Ashely Young.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.