Manchester United 2019-20 Thread

77,690 Views | 1426 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Dre_00
Thunder18
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
0 shots on target
Jack Bristow
AG
Greetings!

I just managed to purchase tickets to the Manchester United FC match against Southampton April 25th while visiting the UK with my parents.

We know practically nothing about the history of EPL or the teams. I had heard of Manchester United and they had a home game not far from Edinburgh where we will be staying.

Anything a newbie should know about the team or culture?
Tips for what pubs to check out prior to the match?
Tips for how early to get there?

Really anything you would care to share.

My parents and I are very excited about the trip but getting to see a match has really made the trip even more exciting.

Thanks and gig'em
Thunder18
AG
The current team is pretty bad, but historically Manchester United is the most decorated and successful club in Britain and one of the biggest brands in the world
ryan_m
I went a few years ago when United played Palace. There's a huge collection of pubs very close to the stadium. I would say get there 2 hours early and enjoy some fish and chips and a couple beers. You can go into the gift shop in Old Trafford before the match as well
Bubba smollett
Went last year tons of pubs that will fill up quickly near the stadium, You can can get into Cafe Soccer in Hotel Football I think if you show your ticket you get in big space downstairs with a big bar.

Jack Bristow
AG
Very appreciated!!
Dre_00
I'd get there earlier than 2 hours before if you want a bite but that's just me.

You'll see merchants selling things outside the stadium (scarves, hats, etc.). A popular item with tourists is the half and half match day scarf (half United, half Southampton in your case). Only tourists buy them so you'll stick out like a sore thumb if you get it but hey...you're a tourist so lean into it if you want. It's a good memory to take home.

You may also see green and gold scarves for sale outside the club and people wearing green and gold scarves. I don't think they are as prevalent as they used to be but they are the colors of the club when it was Newton Heath (before they changed their name). Today it's a symbol of the anti-owner movement that a number of fans have started. The current owners of the club (the Glazers...Americans who also own the Tampa Bay Bucs) saddled the club with significant debt and many argue are not interested if football, just making money. Anyway, if you see them, that's what that is.
Jack Bristow
AG
Excellent. Thank you!

Is there any scarf that is "more official" than another? Like the classic 12th Man Towel?
Dre_00
Not that I'm aware of. Of course the official club store is the official apparel but a lot of other vendors have the standard stuff too.
Griffle
If there the day before, do the stadium tour. You can go into the United museum with that tour and spend some time learning about the club and it's history. The Munich disaster was a dark time for the club. The trophy room is impressive.

Consider learning a few of the songs, they are quick and easy. It's fun to belt them out at the top of your lungs with 70k+ people. 1, 5,6, and 7 should do. I like 16.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.goal.com/en-us/amp/news/manchester-united-chants-lyrics-videos-most-popular-old-trafford-/6gg2ihh94e11anhtzmntwscu

Manager's name is pronounced "soul-shy-er"

No beer in the stands, if you drink, you have to do so below in the concourse area.

Not part of the United experience, but the National Football museum is in Manchester as well and is a neat look at the history of Football in England. Beautiful church sits next door. Good walking area but not near Old Trafford.

I've been to a lot of sporting events, but nothing compares to United scoring a goal. The place absolutely erupts. Enjoy it!!
Thunder18
AG
NBC Sports Gold
Dre_00
That's what happens when you suck.

On the bright side 4-0. Doesn't mean much but any result like that is a welcome sight these days. Apparently audible "Glazers Out" and "Woodward Out" were heard from the Stretford End.
Griffle
"Build a bonfire, build a bonfire, put the Glazers on the top, put Ed Woodward in the middle and you burn the F***ING lot."

I believe this was one of them today.
Dre_00
Always nice to Mata do well. Such an incredibly good person.
Thunder18
AG
Sweet finish
Mathguy64
AG
Either Watford or Tranmere next.
Dre_00
Young is off to Inter which is insane. It was beyond time for him to move on but he was a solid player for United for a number of years. Maguire takes his spot as captain.

United extended Bailly's contract through 2022. Still think he can have a career at United.
Dre_00
Lost to Liverpool..,no surprise. Rashford is out 2-3 months with a double stress fracture in his back (had been playing with 1). Dilly dallying in the transfer market again. Lather, rinse, repeat.
Thunder18
AG
The Glazers have done a fantastic job destroying what SAF built
Furlock Bones
AG
Woodward needs to be gone. He's spent something like $650mm since Sir Alex left and look where this squad isn't.
Thunder18
AG
Stop me if you've seen this one before...dominating possession but miss a few easy chances to score only for the opposition to get a goal from terrible set piece defending
boogieman
AG
That 2nd one for Burnley was impressive.
Thunder18
AG
Sadly nothing is going to improve until the Glazers and Woodward **** off. Ole needs to be replaced by a competent coach as well
boogieman
AG
At some point, one of these has to go in, right?
Dre_00
Losing again. Who cares. Nothing matters. Wake me up when the Glazers sell or Woodward is **** canned.
boogieman
AG
Can't argue that one too much.
Furlock Bones
AG
Griffle
Duncan Castles is reporting that the Glazers are questioning Woodward over his signings / strategy. Can't imagine seeing all the fans hacked off and calling them and Woodward out during the Burnley game sat too well with them.

I believe Woodward has a role at United on the business side. Glazers need to take a long hard look in the mirror.
Dre_00
Don't buy it, but this did remind me of something.

As I was watching the putrid performance against Burnley, the cameras kept panning to the empty seats that began appearing at about the 85th minute. It made me think...

It's tough to be a fan of a team with inept owners. The only real power you have is to not show up to games, spend money on tickets, etc. but that goes against the very definition of being a fan. So what if people showed up to the games, supported their team, and also raised hell against the Glazers. All those anti-Glazer, anti-Woodward chants during the game? Imagine hearing those after the game. Imagine 75,000 people, not moving from their seats after the final whistle and just staying put, singing anti-Glazer and anti-Woodward songs for 10...30...however many minutes they could get away with. I honestly don't think anyone at the club would be prepared to react to something like that. Stewards aren't going to be prepared to start throwing people out...at least not in those kind of numbers. And if it was a televised game with a large post-game TV presence, that would likely become the TV story.

That's the only thing I can think of that the fans could do that could possibly shame the powers that be into a modest course correction.
Thunder18
AG
Apparently the fans are planning a walk out during the Wolves game
Griffle
Saw this today, and though this group would enjoy:

https://fbwat.ch/1XKVQa2EVK2StqPd
ChipFTAC01
AG
As the sole Tranmere supporter on this board, I'd like to welcome y'all to Preston Park and hope like hell that you're so concerned with sorting out the first side that you run out your U-15 squad in Birkenhead this morning.
Thunder18
AG
Congratulations on your impending victory
ChipFTAC01
AG
As a Liverpool/Tranmere fan I'm conflicted. While a loss to Tranmere would be great, I hate to add any more fuel to hasten Ole's demise.
Thunder18
AG
Worry not friendo,no positive changes will happen at United until Woodward and the Glazers are gone. You should be fine for the foreseeable future

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.