Manchester United 2019-20 Thread

76,124 Views | 1426 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Dre_00
Mathguy64
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Lindelof and AWB with awful defense in a cross. Down 2-1
Onceaggie2.0
Let's be real ole needs to be sacked for this club to be successful
Mathguy64
AG
What this team needs is a goal sniper. They had their chances all over the 2H.
Skitch05
AG
United didn't play terrible. They created chances, they just had terrible finishing and a couple really bad defensive lapses. United looked the better team overall I thought, but Sevilla played a solid game and deserved the win.

I think they need to give up on chasing Sancho and spend that money on 2 or 3 solid players, because it is obvious that Ole doesn't trust anyone on the bench based on his hesitance to sub anyone. Sancho would be nice, but chasing him the whole window and striking out would be pretty devastating for next season based on how tired everyone looked down the stretch.
ScottishFire
AG
We discovered something about this squad today:
They attack really well for the first 10 mins of a half.

Then, they don't attack well.
Thunder18
AG
Skitch05 said:

United didn't play terrible. They created chances, they just had terrible finishing and a couple really bad defensive lapses. United looked the better team overall I thought, but Sevilla played a solid game and deserved the win.

I think they need to give up on chasing Sancho and spend that money on 2 or 3 solid players, because it is obvious that Ole doesn't trust anyone on the bench based on his hesitance to sub anyone. Sancho would be nice, but chasing him the whole window and striking out would be pretty devastating for next season based on how tired everyone looked down the stretch.

Woodward will find a way to screw this window up, our competition has all already completed a number of tidy transfers and we're still trying to haggle Dortmund over a player they have flat out said they aren't going to sell this window
Skitch05
AG
No argument here.
Dre_00
Sometimes it just isn't your night and that just wasn't our night. We were outplayed for the first 25 minutes or so but after that, I don't think Sevilla really looked better than us for more than a 5 minute stretch and there were times that United looked absolutely dominant. I mean we could have had 3 goals in the first 10 minutes of the 2nd half. And yes, the offensive performance dropped after that 10 minutes (I don't think we even attempted a shot after Sevilla's 2nd goal) Sevilla didn't do much of anything in the 2nd half other than score an absolute gift of a goal. The lack of response after the 2nd goal seemed to indicate perhaps a lack of leadership, maturity, experience...whatever you want to call it...in the team. I'm not saying that to be critical. It's almost to be expected and understandable with a team so young. Other than Pogba, what's the biggest European game these players have been in? Rashford and Pogba are the only players who started in the 2017 EL Final. Lindelof, Rashford, and Fred are the only players who started in the 3-1 win against PSG in the CL last year. Bruno never got past the EL QFs with Sporting and only made the CL group stage once. Europe is a different animal and Sevilla's experience in Europe seemed to show even if their performance wasn't great.

As frustrating as it was watching United miss so many great chances in the 2nd half, I think I was more impacted by the sadness I felt for AWB. He's been such an amazing defender all year but he shared a portion of the blame for both Sevilla goals. I have no idea what Lindelof was doing on de Jong's goal but AWB shares just as much of the blame.
Mathguy64
AG
FPS_Dough said:

Let's be real ole needs to be sacked for this club to be successful
I don't agree with this at all. IMHO Ole has done his job. Tactically he's changed the style from what Jose was doing and made it more open. They play out of the back a lot more but that's been dictated by the changes in the Laws with goal kicks and everyone is making this change. You build out offensively and high press defensively. Liverpool does it the best but we are getting better. The player fitness looks better, but the depth of the squad just isn't there. That's on Woodward to fix. If they keep the 5 sub rule depth is even more important.

Take out an aged Matic and it's a very young squad with 3 young, fast and talented players up top and the midfield is much better than it's been the last several years. Not many teams can say they have three 20 plus goal scorers across the front. Yes they struggle against compact defenses where their speed is nullified but so do a lot of teams.

They need a sniper; someone who has the knack of being in the right place down in the area and finds the net from traffic. It must frustrate Ole since he made a living doing just that. They are missing a player who can play in the air on crosses. For all his failings, Fellaini filled that niche before and he hasn't been replaced. They really missed Shaw with his injury. I don't think they were the same team with Williams at LB.
Thunder18
AG
So...we going to sign anybody? Offload some more dead weight?
Furlock Bones
AG
Thunder18 said:

honestly, it feels like Man U still has a ways to go to reclaim the world cache it had prior.
Skitch05
AG
Starting to think this is going to be one of those transfer windows where United is in the CL so the Glazers/Woodward are just happy to sit back and take in more money while working the media to make everyone think they are in for big things. Really hope I am wrong....
Thunder18
AG
The failure to address the quality depth deficiency of the current squad will be our downfall next season. I'm afraid we're going to panic buy at the last minute
Skitch05
AG
100% agree. This pattern is getting old.
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
Thunder18 said:

unfortunately, a lot of that dead weight make wages no other club can/wants to pay, which makes them difficult to move, even more so now given the current climate. we have guys that are making the wages of a 50m transfer, that are only worth 10m.

those are in addition to the other self-inflicted issues due to ownership and Woodward.

so GD frustrating.
wangus12
AG
Maybe you guys are just offloading Maguire to a Greek prison
Skitch05
AG
It's all part of Woodward's master plan to create a reason to take the captaincy from him so he can give it to Messi as incentive to join.
Furlock Bones
AG
Pogba tests positive for COVID. out of the French squad.
bagger05
AG
From an ESPN article about Messi's potential fit at various clubs:
Quote:

United don't press much (which suits Messi), and their attack basically amounts to "hope someone super talented does something great." The addition of Fernandes worked wonders in that regard, but it goes without saying that Messi cutting in from the right with Fernandes and Martial nearby would be captivating.

Sigh.... so true.
Mathguy64
AG
It's going to be City.
bagger05
AG
Yeah probably. Pretty irritating but will be glad to have him in the EPL so I can see him play more often.

If Liverpool sign Thiago I think they'll win it again.

Too bad we apparently won't be signing anyone.
Mathguy64
AG
I saw someone suggest we pry CR7 away from Juve. Bring him back Instead of chasing Sancho.
Dre_00
The primary criticism of United's transfer policy is that they keep effing around and still have no idea how to target, negotiate, and move. Individual transfer moves seem chaotic and haphazard at best. The Sancho Saga (TM) is a case study in two clubs at the opposite ends of the spectrum. Dortmund have a detailed plan that they follow based on their analysis, assessment of their squad, assessment of the market, assessment of the individual. They then draw up a policy for every player and every scenario and they stick to it. United on the other hand seem to say "we like this player and we want to buy them" and when someone challenges them on their valuation they throw their hands up and get confused asking why the parent club just doesn't sell them the player for the price they want to pay. At this point, I would be floored if Sancho moved to United during this transfer window. I highly doubt Dortmund will break the date they set for a deal to be done.

All of that said, United did manage to bring in some talent last window and get rid of some dead wood. The optimist in me says that can happen again. The pessimist in me says that the transfer environment is completely different than anyone has ever experienced before and Woodward has shown an incredible lack of being a quick study. My guess is that he'll completely miss assess the market (just like he did the first several "normal" transfer windows he ever dealt with) and we'll be stuck with Angel Di Maria 2.0 in 2020.
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
Dre_00 said:

The primary criticism of United's transfer policy is that they keep effing around and still have no idea how to target, negotiate, and move. Individual transfer moves seem chaotic and haphazard at best. The Sancho Saga (TM) is a case study in two clubs at the opposite ends of the spectrum. Dortmund have a detailed plan that they follow based on their analysis, assessment of their squad, assessment of the market, assessment of the individual. They then draw up a policy for every player and every scenario and they stick to it. United on the other hand seem to say "we like this player and we want to buy them" and when someone challenges them on their valuation they throw their hands up and get confused asking why the parent club just doesn't sell them the player for the price they want to pay. At this point, I would be floored if Sancho moved to United during this transfer window. I highly doubt Dortmund will break the date they set for a deal to be done.

All of that said, United did manage to bring in some talent last window and get rid of some dead wood. The optimist in me says that can happen again. The pessimist in me says that the transfer environment is completely different than anyone has ever experienced before and Woodward has shown an incredible lack of being a quick study. My guess is that he'll completely miss assess the market (just like he did the first several "normal" transfer windows he ever dealt with) and we'll be stuck with Angel Di Maria 2.0 in 2020.
Lot of truth to this. There was an article, not sure where, that discussed how United like to deal directly with the opposing club, while Dortmund prefer a more indirect approach.with intermediaries, but ultimately, Woodward tries to get cheeky when everyone on the planet knows Dortmund and these other "development" clubs, stick to their guns.

Regarding the talent, I think between LVGs terrible talent evaluation, in addition to the style he and Mourinho employed, it was clear the creative/fun/flair players werent coming here, and now you are seeing that dearth of quality on the pitch. I think OGS is the right guy and is doing a decent job going in the SAF style and direction though, so hopefully he wins out and/or browbeats Woodward to give him what he wants.
Mathguy64
AG
Are you making the 2020-21 thread? I'm ready to get everything associated with 2019-2020 tossed in the trashcan. This whole year needs to go away fast.
bagger05
AG
Made the top 4... I think I would've taken that if you offered at the beginning of the year.
Mathguy64
AG
Yeah but the year and everything associated with it needs to be relegated.
Dre_00
My bad. I thought about making it after the league season ended and then completely forgot about it after the loss to Sevilla.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.