Houston
Sponsored by

2019 DisAstros thread

240,045 Views | 2084 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Milwaukees Best Light
Serotonin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Cromagnum said:

I'm gonna laugh everytime Juan Puto gets drilled by a fastball next year.

Hopefully Rendon and Strasburg leave and his team fades into obscurity.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Cole's post game interview where he immediately declares he's not part of the organization anymore is a little disappointing. Maybe he was frustrated with not getting in but thought it was a bad look personally. Thanks for the 2 years but he gone for sure.
tlh3842
AG
98Ag99Grad said:

Cole's post game interview where he immediately declares he's not part of the organization anymore is a little disappointing. Maybe he was frustrated with not getting in but thought it was a bad look personally. Thanks for the 2 years but he gone for sure.

Yeah that was pretty disappointing. I think the decent think to do is not wear your agents cap with all the speculation of you cashing in as a free agent. I've never listened to a post game interview from him before, but this made him come off as a bit of a stuck up dick.
notheranymore
Adios dude. We can use our payroll $ more efficiently.
chimpanzee
98Ag99Grad said:

It's an interesting thing, I think I heard Mike Golic describe it from the athlete's perspective that they often see the fans as "cheering for the laundry" in that we would root for the guys in the other dugout if they switched uniforms, and for individuals, clearly that happens often.

Add in contract issues and whatnot, and I get the attitude, but busting it out during the postgame press conference makes you look like a guy that, apart from your obvious talent, isn't someone that you want to be around or root for. Some guys will never have to buy a meal in Houston ever again (think Charlie Morton), and had we won and Cole went on to take a gazillion dollars from the Mets or whoever next year, he could have been that guy with the right approach, but I guess that's not him. It's pretty raw emotion at that point though, I'll cut him some slack.
Anagrammatic Nudist
AG
Had grand plans of wearing this in the parade tomorrow, but oh well. It was a fun build anyways. Enjoy the L2V Robot Chef. We'll be at Batanga around lunchtime if anyone wants to come around and say hello.

Post removed:
by user
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Bob Knepper 2.0
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Also, anyone else hope he gets shipped to some terrible craphole and wastes his career there? Send his ass back to Pittsburgh or Cincinnati.
Serotonin
AG
Milwaukees Best Light said:

Also, anyone else hope he gets shipped to some terrible craphole and wastes his career there? Send his ass back to Pittsburgh or Cincinnati.
Are you talking about Cole? He's a free agent and will probably go to a SoCal team or the Yankees.
David_Puddy
AG
Ferris Wheel Allstar said:

Has Hinch been fired yet?

Freaking brutal. 1/2 blame on him but the other half on the THIRD 2 RUN HOME OUTING of the series & 11 LOB. That's just absolutely abysmal
Serotonin
AG
If I was Luhnow I'd trade Correa this offseason for prospects and sign Rendon since he's from Houston and grew up an Astros fan.

Obviously this will cost more money but Brantley leaves after 2020 and Rendon would be a great long-term fit at #3 spot in lineup.
JJxvi
AG
The Astros didn't win the WS because clutch hitting didnt happen. Every phase was good enough to win but when it you dont translate that full value of your quality into runs you're gonna lose ballgames to someone that does. Astros were the best team this year. Just barely didnt have the luck or performance in high leverage situations to get all 11 postseason wins
LPHA
AG
He's a free agent and should do what he thinks is best for him and his family. If that means marketing yourself as soon as you are allowed, go for it. I love the guys that stick with a team for their entire careers, but just like in the real world, the loyalty is one way.

That being said, I hope Crane finds some balls and pays the man.
one MEEN Ag
AG
Yes, its a dick move to act like that immediately after losing game 7, as he certainly wouldn't say those things if they had won. I see this more as gamesmanship to get the largest contract from the Astros. He's saying all the right things to signal he is leaving and if the Astros want him they can't come in at 70% of his market rate.

At the end of they day they are paid entertainers. This is his contract negotiation that he's been working towards his whole career, I can totally understand taking your agents advice to play hardball. Maybe once he's worth a $100 million in three years, he'll see that gaining 27 million a year vs 30 million won't change his standard of living and that being on a world series contender team versus is worth more to him personally.

Guy could just love southern California and Texas just aint his speed. Nothing wrong with that, he makes enough to afford a two bedroom apartment out there.
GoAgs92
AG
that Harris pitch was actually pretty good, dude just hit it.

foot to the right and everyone is happy...thems the breaks.

GoAgs92
AG
As Far as Cole is concerned he should have phrased his answers in a more PC way.

He should have thanked the staff for making him the pitcher he is today, excited to see what the future brings...blah blah blah....the Astros will be back...yadda yadda yadda

Serotonin
AG
GoAgs92 said:

that Harris pitch was actually pretty good, dude just hit it.

foot to the right and everyone is happy...thems the breaks.
Just read that Kendrick hadn't hit a cutter for a HR all year. And over last ten seasons he's only hit four homeruns off cutters. He's not great on those pitches, but swung his bat hard there and amazingly it stayed fair. And the Astros have had a couple of warning track shots in Game 6 & 7 that fell just short.

Sometimes it just doesn't go your way.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Gator03 said:

If I was Luhnow I'd trade Correa this offseason for prospects and sign Rendon since he's from Houston and grew up an Astros fan.

Obviously this will cost more money but Brantley leaves after 2020 and Rendon would be a great long-term fit at #3 spot in lineup.

I could definitely get behind this. Did I see that Rendon turned down a 7yr/$210M deal though from the Nats?
Serotonin
AG
98Ag99Grad said:

Gator03 said:

I could definitely get behind this. Did I see that Rendon turned down a 7yr/$210M deal though from the Nats?
Yeah, which would be too much for the Stros unless they get a hometown discount. And he'd avoid 8.95% income tax in DC.
Aggie09Derek
AG
Think that only applies to half his income I believe. That's how it is in NBA at least (games played in that state).
Chewy
AG
Aggie09Derek said:

Think that only applies to half his income I believe. That's how it is in NBA at least (games played in that state).

Correct. Athletes have to pay taxes based on where they play their game. There's certainly some savings to playing in a non income tax state but it's not as great as people think.
MAS444
AG
Plus property taxes are high here, which sort of offsets no state income tax. I bet the income tax thing has much less value than people think.
LPHA
AG
They don't give a flying **** about state taxes. At least the ones that are pulling in that kind of money. Maybe a minimum contract guy that hasn't made a ton over his career would, but not at $30MM/year.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Gator03 said:

98Ag99Grad said:

Gator03 said:

Yeah, which would be too much for the Stros unless they get a hometown discount. And he'd avoid 8.95% income tax in DC.
its not exactly an 8.95% discount but it's a discount.

One thing that sucks/has to be a pain for pro athletes is that they're taxed where they earn their money, so they end up having to file state taxes in every state they play in (which comes out to like 20 different state tax returns).
schmellba99
AG
Gator03 said:

Milwaukees Best Light said:

Are you talking about Cole? He's a free agent and will probably go to a SoCal team or the Yankees.
He'll be in an Angels uniform next year, and we'll be facing him.
LPHA
AG
If he isn't a permanent resident or maintain a residence in DC for 183 days in the year, he does not have to pay taxes to DC. Unless they changed that within the last year.
schmellba99
AG
David_Puddy said:

Ferris Wheel Allstar said:

Has Hinch been fired yet?

Freaking brutal. 1/2 blame on him but the other half on the THIRD 2 RUN HOME OUTING of the series & 11 LOB. That's just absolutely abysmal
Lack of hitting lost the series.

We scored 11 total runs at home. Left at least 30 on base You can't win when you lose the ability to hit and score runs - and we seemed to rely almost exclusively on home runs to score instead of playing good small ball.
swimmerbabe11
terrible sequencing bit the Astros at every turn
schmellba99
AG
MAS444 said:

Plus property taxes are high here, which sort of offsets no state income tax. I bet the income tax thing has much less value than people think.
It does. My tax burden went up moving back to Texas from AZ because of the disparity in income tax there versus property tax here. But a few thousand.
I Am A Critic
Public traded Sandbox money?

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/u0LEIlP
Username checks out.
Serotonin
AG
schmellba99 said:

MAS444 said:

It does. My tax burden went up moving back to Texas from AZ because of the disparity in income tax there versus property tax here. But a few thousand.
Would it at that level though?

4% of $30M income per year = $1.2M
2% of $5M house in Memorial or RO = $100k

You'd have to really go nuts on the house to get close to the income tax burden.
Zobel
AG
With the way they position fielders now I think you're going to see more and more of HR only in MLB.
Al Bula
AG
I Am A Critic said:

Public traded Sandbox money?

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/u0LEIlP
Pic link doesn't work
NoahAg
98Ag99Grad said:

Cole's post game interview where he immediately declares he's not part of the organization anymore is a little disappointing.
"A little?" I'm not even an Astros fan, but that was a total dewsh move. I hope he never sniffs the postseason again.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.