Houston
Sponsored by

2019 DisAstros thread

237,632 Views | 2084 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Milwaukees Best Light
David_Puddy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
0-13 so far
Cromagnum
AG
Yeah. He's way overdue for some Springer dingers. It doesn't matter how awesome are pitchers are tonight if the bats are limp noodles.
Goose
AG
Cromagnum said:

Yeah. He's way overdue for some Springer dingers. It doesn't matter how awesome are pitchers are tonight if the bats are limp noodles.
We scored 3 runs in each of the last two games. Awesome pitching in one resulted in a 3-1 win. Atrocious pitching in the other resulted in a 10-3 loss. We have the bats, and unless everybody decides to slump at the same time, we'll probably score runs. If the pitching comes through, I like our chances.
AgLA06
AG
I don't get pushing Verlander's start up for tonight. They have to sweep us to move on and they are pitching by committee.

I would have thought we would be working to set up our rotation against the Yankees.
HtownAg92
AG
Isn't Game 1 Saturday no matter what? Cole can start Game 1 (we will win tonight) and Verlander can start Game 2 on 4 days' rest. Or we can hope for a better Greinke outing and Verlander can shut up the honking Bronx fans on a week's rest.
Bondag
AG
HtownAg92 said:

Isn't Game 1 Saturday no matter what? Cole can start Game 1 (we will win tonight) and Verlander can start Game 2 on 4 days' rest. Or we can hope for a better Greinke outing and Verlander can shut up the honking Bronx fans on a week's rest.
Postseason format:
Wild Card: 1-game playoff
LDS: Best-of-5, 2-2-1 format
LCS: Best-of-7, 2-3-2 format
World Series: Best-of-7, 2-3-2 format
Ducks4brkfast
AG
LCS tix went on sale at 10am for season ticket holders. was able to grab 4 to each game.
HtownAg92
AG
Bondag said:

HtownAg92 said:

Postseason format:
Wild Card: 1-game playoff
LDS: Best-of-5, 2-2-1 format
LCS: Best-of-7, 2-3-2 format
World Series: Best-of-7, 2-3-2 format
Right, so:

Saturday, Game 1 (Home) - Cole
Sunday, Game 2 (Home) - Greinke or Verlander
Tuesday, Game 3 (NY) - Verlander or Greinke
Wednesday, Game 4 (NY) - Spit, Bailing Wire and Duct Tape
XpressAg09
AG
cgh1999 said:

Ferris Wheel Allstar said:

Sure hope he plays better.
He started Game 1 of the 2017 World Series with 5 K's...and look how that turned out.

He'll pull it together.

/optimism, begin concern
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
Ducks4brkfast said:

LCS tix went on sale at 10am for season ticket holders. was able to grab 4 to each game.
yo tambien, 1st level on my extras too
Joker98
AG
Today is a must win to keep our rotation lined up for the next series, only swapping Cole and Verlander in the order. My only concern is that JV has never started a game on 3 days rest before. Don't be surprised if he is gassed early. The bats and bullpen are critically important today.
AgLA06
AG
Joker98 said:

The bullpen are critically important today.

What could go wrong?!?
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
here is a little A for the Astros win

Post removed:
by user
David_Puddy
AG
AgLA06 said:

I don't get pushing Verlander's start up for tonight. They have to sweep us to move on and they are pitching by committee.

I would have thought we would be working to set up our rotation against the Yankees.

We have the 2 best pitchers in the American league. Hinch is saying that the Rays are going to have to beat them both back to back to advance. You'd rather start Urquidy, who would be pitching in his first ever playoff game, over a Hall of Famer? Starting JV is 100% the right decision, because you don't want it to roll the dice on someone who hasn't proven anything yet. We will have to trot him out there against the Yankees one time, but have to get there first. Vegas odds for tonight are around -240. Would be closer to -125 or maybe even less with Urquidy. Pitching Verlander tonight and winning just simply means he slides back to game 2 on full rest versus game 1. With a loss tonight pitching Urquidy, JV goes in game 5 and wouldn't be able to pitch again until game 3 of the ALCS. If they were to tag Grienke, it would almost be a must win game if they were to get a split in the H. I'll say it again.....it's absolutely the right decision.
spadilly
S
Make them beat Verlander and Cole in back to back games.
If they do, well, tip the cap to them and know we went out firing our two best guns.
No "we'll, we should have done XYZ" with one of them not even getting the ball.

No need to throw a bullpen type game today on our end. Wrap this thing up tonight and don't let them even force a game 5.
AgLA06
AG
Throwing pitching on short rest this early in the playoffs when ahead in a series is a recipe for disaster in later rounds. We need are studs at the top of their form against the NY offense.

I hope I'm wrong, but I think it's a bad move. This is something typically done out of desperation in a must win scenario. Not when up in the series and with home field advantage.
MAS444
AG
Yeah there are arguments on both sides and It's far from a no brainer. But I think Hinch, Verlander et al are probably the most qualified to make the decision.
Post removed:
by user
HtownAg92
AG
AgLA06 said:

Throwing pitching on short rest this early in the playoffs when ahead in a series is a recipe for disaster in later rounds. We need are studs at the top of their form against the NY offense.

I hope I'm wrong, but I think it's a bad move. This is something typically done out of desperation in a must win scenario. Not when up in the series and with home field advantage.
If we throw Committee tonight and lose, you have to make short rest decisions in the bigger series. Get your win now, get home, get a mini-break, then short rest becomes less of an issue. Especially if we get some bats and JV doesn't have to go deep. Then he could probably pitch Sunday. If he pitches Thursday night, he's probably Game 3 or 4. Going 2-0 against the Yanks is huge.
JJxvi
AG
As above, winning game 4 period is the lynchpin of not getting behind schedule for the LCS. So, you're risking having to pitch starters anyway on fewer days rest in the LCS, just to stay on schedule in the LDS.

Then theres not only that, but it is simply a fact that the team is more likely to lose both games and get eliminated if they start Urquidy-Verlander than they are if they start Verlander-Cole. Game 5 odds likely dont change one iota in either scenario, the game 4 odds are significantly better with Verlander.
Chewy
AG
Also don't forget this bullpen hasn't shown anything in this series or even for much of September that there's one guy you'd really feel comfortable out there for very long. Everybody talks about the amazing lineup and starting pitches but the reality is there's 3 arms on this staff you have any real faith in.

This is all about Hinch hoping he can get at least 6 innings if not more out of Verlander tonight while our bats get to a really difficult bullpen to hit. Push a strong lead into the seventh and then hope the bullpen can get 9 outs or less. Ideally 6 or less but if Verlanders pitch count is up there you don't want to leave him in too long.
Zobel
RK
AG
Those will be the only runs he gives up tonight.
Diggity
AG
You think they pull him already?
cgh1999
AG
Need to get at least one back this inning. Make them work their pen and let JV settle in.
RK
AG
He was just settling in.
JJxvi
AG
I doubt we score 3 runs
Diggity
AG
We've scored 3 or more in every game this series
BPCAg05
AG
JV looks like he won't settle in tonight
Cromagnum
AG
Piss poor start on both sides
schmellba99
AG
I am not optimistic about this game.

We are going to be beat up and out of sync if we stretch this series out and have to play the GD Yankees who are sitting back watching from their couches. Pessimism is setting in for some reason.
David_Puddy
AG
Yeah this is going to game 5 and assuming we don't blow that we're going to have to start Grienke and pray in game 1.
Al Bula
AG
digging tunnels
AG
Yup....I think it's over folks. Even if we win the alds with Cole in game 5, our rotation is now screwed up for the ALCS. And our bullpen is complete **** now. I have little hope getting pass the Yankees

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.