Houston
Sponsored by

2019 DisAstros thread

240,030 Views | 2084 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Milwaukees Best Light
OCEN99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This season, the Astros became the first team to ever go a full season without issuing a single intentional walk.
schmendeler
AG
That's interesting.
LPHA
bkag9824
AG
AgLA06 said:

terradactylexpress said:

3,000 + 300 for the season + no-no probably sways the vote

That and his ERA has improved over Verlander's the last 5 games.

The stat I saw that caught my eye is the Astros have won every game he's started since the all-star game.

Verlander had the no-no, not Cole. And Verlander has 3,000ks, not Cole.

Unless I'm reading your response to terradactyl wrong.
David_Puddy
AG
Assuming that the stros will be playing in the 3 pm slot on Friday? I imagine people will be getting started partying well before noon.
AgLA06
AG
I edited it to make more sense. Thanks.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
David_Puddy said:

Assuming that the stros will be playing in the 3 pm slot on Friday? I imagine people will be getting started partying well before noon.
and my wife is going to a concert on friday, so now i can't use my tickets.
digging tunnels
AG
Post from Facebook Astros fan page from a police officer who works with the club. He received an email from the club for First pitch times.

Game 1: 1:05pm
Game 2: 8:05pm

Edit: These times are not official yet
Ducks4brkfast
AG
digging tunnels said:

Post from Facebook Astros fan page from a police officer who works with the club. He received an email from the club for First pitch times.

wait, friday's game is at 1:05?
chimpanzee
Ducks4brkfast said:

digging tunnels said:

wait, friday's game is at 1:05?

Don't the networks bend over backwards to get the Yankees/Dodgers into prime time?

We've been hosed on ALDS start times for the past two years.
digging tunnels
AG
That's what the officer posted. Not sure if true though. I hope it's a little later, at least 3 pm
RK
AG
Ducks4brkfast said:

David_Puddy said:

fortunately for you, i can use your tickets.
David_Puddy
AG
RK said:

Ducks4brkfast said:

David_Puddy said:

And I can be his +1
David_Puddy
AG
digging tunnels said:

Edit: These times are not official yet

They were saying on the Astros thread on the MLB board that Fox had the 3 pm slot blocked out per the guide, so I was assuming it started at 3, but maybe you're right.
RK
AG
David_Puddy said:

RK said:

Ducks4brkfast said:

David_Puddy said:

And I can be his +1
Bregxit
AG
AgLA06 said:

terradactylexpress said:

That, but Cole's ERA has improved over Verlander's the last 5 games and he is having a top 10 all time strikeout season as well.

The stat I saw that caught my eye is the Astros have won every game Cole has started since the all-star game.

Edited to make more sense.

Cole was nowhere close to the top 10 all time strikeout seasons.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
RK said:

Ducks4brkfast said:

David_Puddy said:

member that time you called me a d-head?

i member.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
Bregxit said:

AgLA06 said:

terradactylexpress said:

That, but Cole's ERA has improved over Verlander's the last 5 games and he is having a top 10 all time strikeout season as well.

The stat I saw that caught my eye is the Astros have won every game Cole has started since the all-star game.

Quote:

Gerrit Cole
Year: 2019
Cole won the season-long race to 300 with his fellow AL Cy Young Award contender Verlander. He reached the mark in the sixth inning on Sept. 18 against the Rangers. It was the latest sign of Cole's transformation from his years in Pittsburgh, where he topped out at 202 Ks in 2015. The right-hander racked up 276 upon his 2018 arrival in Houston, and has topped himself in '19. Cole put together four starts of at least 14 Ks on his way to 300, while challenging Pedro Martinez's 1999 record for single-season strikeout rate. With 198 1/3 innings at the time of his 300th K, Cole was the second-fastest pitcher to reach that mark, behind only Randy Johnson (197 2/3 innings in 2001), according to the Elias Sports Bureau.
RK
AG
member that time you were one?

#metoo.
Bregxit
AG
Ferris Wheel Allstar said:

Bregxit said:

AgLA06 said:

terradactylexpress said:

Quote:

Gerrit Cole
Year: 2019
Cole won the season-long race to 300 with his fellow AL Cy Young Award contender Verlander. He reached the mark in the sixth inning on Sept. 18 against the Rangers. It was the latest sign of Cole's transformation from his years in Pittsburgh, where he topped out at 202 Ks in 2015. The right-hander racked up 276 upon his 2018 arrival in Houston, and has topped himself in '19. Cole put together four starts of at least 14 Ks on his way to 300, while challenging Pedro Martinez's 1999 record for single-season strikeout rate. With 198 1/3 innings at the time of his 300th K, Cole was the second-fastest pitcher to reach that mark, behind only Randy Johnson (197 2/3 innings in 2001), according to the Elias Sports Bureau.

Strikeout rate does not equal strikeouts.
Post removed:
by user
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
I was just providing facts for yalls argument.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
third coast.. said:

Ducks what you want for those tickets
It's looking like I might still have a chance and Lizzo aint gonna wreck my plans.
Post removed:
by user
Panama Red
AG
Ducks4brkfast said:

third coast.. said:

It's looking like I might still have a chance and Lizzo aint gonna wreck my plans.

If you miss game for Lizzo, Turns out you 100% b*tch
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Panama Red said:

Ducks4brkfast said:

third coast.. said:

If you miss game for Lizzo, Turns out you 100% b*tch
Lizzo is a no-go for me. I'm our plan C childcare option.
RK
AG
plan B is typically the best childcare option.
schmendeler
AG
if you take out the records from before 1900, cole's current season would place him at 14th.

of the 69 pitcher-seasons that have hit the 300 strikeouts mark, all-time, 15 are from a single year, 1884.

you're not going to convince me that those pitchers were better than a modern day pitcher, let alone the level of talent they were facing, that's just silly.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/leaders/SO_p_season.shtml
Bregxit
AG
schmendeler said:

if you take out the records from before 1900, cole's current season would place him at 14th.

of the 69 pitcher-seasons that have hit the 300 strikeouts mark, all-time, 15 are from a single year, 1884.

you're not going to convince me that those pitchers were better than a modern day pitcher, let alone the level of talent they were facing, that's just silly.

Why stop there? Why not take out everyone from before 1990 since modern day pitchers don't throw as many innings as they did prior to 1990? JR Richard would not have had 313 Ks in 1979 if he hadn't thrown 292 innings. Mike Scott would not have had 306 in 1986 if he hadn't thrown 275 innings. Nolan Ryan wouldn't have had 383 Ks had he not pitched 326 innings. Then Cole would be 6th, behind Randy Johnson who would be 1 through 5 (in 5 consecutive years).
schmendeler
AG
Bregxit said:

schmendeler said:

Why stop there? Why not take out everyone from before 1990 since modern day pitchers don't throw as many innings as they did prior to 1990? JR Richard would not have had 313 Ks in 1979 if he hadn't thrown 292 innings. Mike Scott would not have had 306 in 1986 if he hadn't thrown 275 innings. Nolan Ryan wouldn't have had 383 Ks had he not pitched 326 innings. Then Cole would be 6th, behind Randy Johnson who would be 1 through 5 (in 5 consecutive years).
i think there is a reasonable view to say that 1990 and 2019 are essentially the same game being played.

1880's baseball was significantly more different that the differences between 1990 and 2019, no?

this is a patent for a baseball glove from 1885.

here's a pic of a game playing by 1886 rules. it's looks just like minute maid nowadays!
Bregxit
AG
Also foul balls were not strikes, just a no pitch. So all strikeouts were on swings and misses. Found another weird one! The batter would determine the strike zone! The batter would call high or low ball so the strikezone was established as such!

And this doesn't look too different other than equipment and the rules differences...

Texaggie7nine
Mastercard holders. Go to Priceless.com to buy ALDS tix.
7nine
Diggity
AG
I think I accidentally just bought two sets of "tickets" and I have no idea where the hell they are. In my excitement, I didn't realize the details were so vague.

And what the heck does this mean: Quantities are limited only 15 pairs available

Did I just pay money for the "chance" at tickets?
BMX Bandit
1:00 Friday.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.