*** SW: The Last Jedi - FULL SPOILERS BE IN HERE ***

323,177 Views | 3129 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by Definitely Not A Cop
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Quote:

It's actually impressive how often they built up some really good tension and then just dissolved it all away with stupid/impractical plot elements.

This is a really good point. So many wow-they're-really-going-there moments that were ultimately chickened out on.
Flashdiaz
AG
vwbug said:

Aaaaaaand... more damage control, this is getting comical:

oh, I was wondering about Lor SanTrekken and how he knew where Luke was and knew the Skywalker family as well as Kylo knowing who he is as depicted in the movie.

I just have to read more tweets for the story to make sense... my bad.
vwbug
TCTTS said:

I don't know if this is a big part of it, but Johnson is friends with quite a few critics, journalists, and bloggers. Besides having a ton of "street cred," for lack of a better term, with that crowd for the movies he's directed, he runs with that whole Birth.Movies.Death. crew, has attended multiple Butt-Numb-A-Thons in Austin (Ain't Cool News' Harry Knowles annual 24-hour film fest birthday bash), same goes for Fantastic Fest, and regularly engages with critics/journalists/bloggers on Twitter. He's basically a huge film nerd/fan who's deeply embedded in that world who got to direct a Star Wars movie. Again, I don't know how large or how much sway that whole scene has in general as it pertains to actually influencing a Rotten Tomato score, but more than any other director I know, Johnson is definitely the one plugged into that crowd far more than any other. And look, most of his critic friends seem to genuinely love the movie, I'm just saying that if they thought it was crap, they likely wouldn't have been too critical, if at all. I think with a good chunk of these guys there's definitely a holy-crap-my-friend-is-directing-Star-Wars-movie element.
With that said, I wonder if this moment was bigger than he was ready for?
Ag Since 83
AG
bobinator said:

Can we just admit that even if you hated it, there were some good parts, and even if you liked it, there were some dodgy parts and go back to debating how many coins a drunk person could stuff into BB8?
When said drunk person is, in fact, Luke Skywalker in disguise, a lot
vwbug
Flashdiaz said:

vwbug said:

oh, I was wondering about Lor SanTrekken and how he knew where Luke was and knew the Skywalker family as well as Kylo knowing who he is as depicted in the movie.

Someone at LF needs to tell Pablo to take a couple of weeks off twitter. He is starting to look silly. Like I said before, if you have to tweet this junk out, you failed in the story telling.
G Martin 87
AG
TCTTS said:

Quote:

It's actually impressive how often they built up some really good tension and then just dissolved it all away with stupid/impractical plot elements.

This is a really good point. So many wow-they're-really-going-there moments that were ultimately chickened out on.
I believe that practitioners of that technique are sometimes referred to colloquially as a "cock tease". Maybe that explains the angry reactions from the original generation of Star Wars fans.
Cave Johnson, CEO
AG
vwbug said:

And lost all respect for Mark Ellis in this:

If the map isn't specific to Luke then why is one of Kylo's first lines in TFA "You know what I've come for...the map to Skywalker."
vwbug
That's a great point (better than mine )
Dr. Teeth
AG
Another random question: Why did the Praetorian Guards spring into action once Snoke was sliced in half? I get that Kylo was trusted, but at that point what are they fighting for?
TCTTS
AG
Because it would sound way less cool to say "... the map to the first Jedi temple, where Skywalker is located." I wasn't a huge fan of this movie, but the sh*t some of you b*tch about is ridiculous.
redline248
AG
wangus12 said:

Quote:

My favorite was after they all watched Luke brush off canon fire Finn's like "we need to help him with one guy."
He says that before Luke gets shot at
Just now getting back to this. You may be right, but I seem to remember them shooting at Luke, Kylo going down to face him, and Poe and Finn having the exchange:

"He's going to face Kylo Ren alone..."

"We have to go help him!"
redline248
AG
Dr. Teeth said:

Another random question: Why did the Praetorian Guards spring into action once Snoke was sliced in half? I get that Kylo was trusted, but at that point what are they fighting for?
I guess at that point they are loyal to the first order, and Kylo just become the biggest traitor?
TCTTS
AG
If POTUS was assassinated, would the secret service not try to kill the assassin?

Again, you guys are just nitpicking the sh*t out of the movie at this point.
FTACO97
AG
TCTTS said:

If POTUS was assassinated, would the secret service not try to kill the assassin?

Again, you guys are just nitpicking the sh*t out of the movie at this point.
Was literally just going to post the exact same thought about POTUS....
Cave Johnson, CEO
AG
TCTTS said:

Because it would sound way less cool to say "... the map to the first Jedi temple, where Skywalker is located." I wasn't a huge fan of this movie, but the sh*t some of you b*tch about is ridiculous.
I'm not *****ing, I was just saying the guy in the tweet said it was never a map to Luke, yet one of the main characters says he wants "the map to Luke."

And according to the wiki (weak reference I know), Luke gave a piece of that map to Lor San Tekka. "Oh here you go here's a piece of a map to the Last Jedi Temple, don't worry it's totally not where I'm going to run off to."
Dr. Teeth
AG
redline248 said:

Dr. Teeth said:

I guess at that point they are loyal to the first order, and Kylo just become the biggest traitor?
Did he become the biggest traitor or the boss? It seems like it was an awful lot more clear to them than it should have been.
agracer
AG
FTACO97 said:

bobinator said:

FTACO97 said:

No, he's having to do this because a vocal minority of rabid Star Wars fans have been taking a **** all over his film and now he's having to come out and justify himself.
I think this is a bad take. Even the majority of people who overall liked the movie think there's some pretty glaring things wrong with it.
"majority of people...pretty glaring things wrong" - of course this gets thrown around, sometimes by both sides, but never any real proof. If I took the time to go through these 40+ pages and made a list of those with very negative opinions, it would probably be the same 10-15 people who keep commenting and keep the negative echo chamber going. While there are just as many people if not more who have posted positive opinions of the film.

As has been posted in the thread by me and others, other review sites have a very positive ranking for the film. A from CinemaScore, 86 from MetaCritic, 7.8/10 IMDB....etc. There's a slew of articles online about how it's not a clear cut "everyone hates it" but that it's split, and not evenly.
as I said on Page 24,

Quote:

So at the end of the day this move becomes better than or on the level of ESB if;

- No Leah Space walk (really, what was the point of that whole story arc...to put some random 'Admiral' no one has ever heard of in charge of being a terrible leader by not telling anyone anything....)
- No Rose/Finn side mission (replace with Finn/Poe trying to sneak about First Order ship to break trace thing as high risk/high payoff plan B as secret transport option as Plan A)
- No Rose/Finn side mission = no Admiral Haldo = Akbar does light speed jump into First Order Ship

We can still have showdown with Phasma/Finn (which should have been longer/drawn out and Phasma death should have been more epic - assuming she is dead) and the battle on Kotaku Crait and the 'ghost Luke' (understand some did not like it, but I think most would concede it was a bad ass use of the Force)

All the other holes/issues were very minor IMO. But those three really sunk the movie overall.

And Honestly, Finn's character was way marginalized in their movie. His whole purpose in the movie was a complete waste..
Those huge WTF moments make all the other little ones stand out. Change a few of those and this movie is way better and the critics vs. rotten tomatoes is < 5%.

95% of the casual SW fan has been dismissing small plot holes and space physics since 1977.
02skiag
AG
My thoughts on the movie may be completely opposite if they used a half way attractive actress for Rose. Star Wars is a space fantasy and I'm sorry but she's not anyone's idea of a fantasy. This trilogy needs a love story somewhere, please don't tell me this is it.
Quad Dog
AG
Quote:

Again, you guys are just nitpicking the sh*t out of the movie at this point
But what if it was the Vice President performing the assassination?

I can now see a bunch of drunk secret service guys at poker night talking about this.
Ag Since 83
AG
Cave Johnson, CEO said:

TCTTS said:

I'm not *****ing, I was just saying the guy in the tweet said it was never a map to Luke, yet one of the main characters says he wants "the map to Luke."

And according to the wiki (weak reference I know), Luke gave a piece of that map to Lor San Tekka. "Oh here you go here's a piece of a map to the Last Jedi Temple, don't worry it's totally not where I'm going to run off to."
Where do you see that? The Wookieepedia article on Lor San Tekka just says he found the map somewhere, nothing about Luke giving it to him.

Quote:

Skywalker vanished into exile after his Jedi were destroyed and went off in search of the first Jedi temple[url=http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lor_San_Tekka#cite_note-Episode_VII-1][2][/url] on the planetAhch-To.[url=http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lor_San_Tekka#cite_note-Junior_Novelization-3][4][/url] After many years, San Tekka discovered a partial map that revealed the location of the first Jedi temple.[url=http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lor_San_Tekka#cite_note-Episode_VII-1][2][/url]

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lor_San_Tekka
Flashdiaz
AG
Dr. Teeth said:

redline248 said:

Dr. Teeth said:

Did he become the biggest traitor or the boss? It seems like it was an awful lot more clear to them than it should have been.
still nitpicking... Kylo just sliced the supreme leader in half. What's to say he wasn't a rebel and would kill the guards, Hux and everyone on that ship.
Ag Since 83
AG
vwbug said:

Flashdiaz said:

vwbug said:

Someone at LF needs to tell Pablo to take a couple of weeks off twitter. He is starting to look silly. Like I said before, if you have to tweet this junk out, you failed in the story telling.
Call me a goaltender, but I'm going to disagree with this. The information is there. The audience has to think a little bit.
The Collective
AG
Rey is on the same planet as Lor San Tekka (coincidence)
Luke gave Lor San Tekka a map to find him (coincidence)
Luke didn't want to be found (uhhhh????)

It makes perfect sense.
Cave Johnson, CEO
AG
Ag Since 83 said:

Cave Johnson, CEO said:

TCTTS said:

Where do you see that? The Wookieepedia article on Lor San Tekka just says he found the map somewhere, nothing about Luke giving it to him.

Quote:

Skywalker vanished into exile after his Jedi were destroyed and went off in search of the first Jedi temple[url=http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lor_San_Tekka#cite_note-Episode_VII-1][2][/url] on the planetAhch-To.[url=http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lor_San_Tekka#cite_note-Junior_Novelization-3][4][/url] After many years, San Tekka discovered a partial map that revealed the location of the first Jedi temple.[url=http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lor_San_Tekka#cite_note-Episode_VII-1][2][/url]

There's a separate "Map to Skywalker" page that says Luke gave it to him.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Map_to_Skywalker
redline248
AG
just a quick warning, wookiepedia isn't the best source for canon.

Not saying you're wrong, just that the site might be.
Ag Since 83
AG
redline248 said:

just a quick warning, wookiepedia isn't the best source for canon.

Not saying you're wrong, just that the site might be.
Thus why I was asking. Thanks though.
Cave Johnson, CEO
AG
Yeah that's true, which is why I prefaced it with "may not be the best source." The wiki has a reference for the statement of "Luke gave Lor San Tekka a portion of the map" but I can't verify if it's factual or not.
Flashdiaz
AG
02skiag said:

My thoughts on the movie may be completely opposite if they used a half way attractive actress for Rose. Star Wars is a space fantasy and I'm sorry but she's not anyone's idea of a fantasy. This trilogy needs a love story somewhere, please don't tell me this is it.
you may be onto something... they killed off the wrong sister.

Ag Since 83
AG
Cave Johnson, CEO said:

Ag Since 83 said:

Cave Johnson, CEO said:

TCTTS said:

Quote:

There's a separate "Map to Skywalker" page that says Luke gave it to him.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Map_to_Skywalker

Interesting. I don't think I have the Star Wars Visual Dictionary it references, but I have the Force Awakens Visual Dictionary I believe. Will be interesting to see what it says about Lor San Tekka.

If it does in fact say that, that's a pretty stupid error on someone's part.

And if you REALLY want to take a stretch of what is and isn't canon, here's a summary from the Lego Star Wars: The Force Awakens video game (chapter called Lor San Tekka's Return):

"After visiting an Ottegan
enclave, Lor San Tekka has
obtained clues to the location of
Luke Skywalker from the
Sacred Order Of Ramulus."

Cave Johnson, CEO
AG
I assume the image CJS4715 posted above is from the Star Wars Visual Dictionary but don't know for sure.
Rex Racer
AG
redd38 said:

Rex Racer said:

redd38 said:

Here's my theory on using light speed as a weapon and why it hasn't been used in the past:

I think there is a very small window of distance where this tactic would be useful. Too close and you wouldn't be going fast enough to do much damage. Too far away and you'll make the jump to hyper space before the collision and thus pass right through on different dimensions. So basically Holdo was lucky that she was a very specific distance from the FO ship.
Traveling through hyperspace ain't like dusting crops, boy! Without precise calculations we could fly right through a star or bounce too close to a supernova and that'd end your trip real quick, wouldn't it?

Ok? That doesn't invalidate my theory.
Yes, it does. Flying through hyperspace does not mean you are in a different dimension, or you wouldn't have to worry about flying through a star or bouncing too close to a supernova.
Ag Since 83
AG
Cave Johnson, CEO said:

I assume the image CJS4715 posted above is from the Star Wars Visual Dictionary but don't know for sure.
Hilarious that the damning evidence is in an entry not titled "Map to Skywalker" or "Lor San Tekka" or anything like that, but in a general article titled "Maps."

I understand why some people would be angered by that. I'm going to chalk it up to a continuity error. The story about the map to the Jedi Temple makes too much sense to me
agracer
AG
I think this describes this movie better than any words....

The Collective
AG
Ag Since 83 said:

Cave Johnson, CEO said:

Hilarious that the damning evidence is in an entry not titled "Map to Skywalker" or "Lor San Tekka" or anything like that, but in a general article titled "Maps."

Yea, talk about your all time backfire. The writer expanded with an example, and fooked up the story continuity. Who could have guessed it would matter this much?

For the record though, I don't think it's clear that Skywalker is running away to the Temple. He's just looking for it. Maybe what he found there and his reflection turned him to the point where he decided to stay in exile.
redd38
AG
Rex Racer said:

redd38 said:

Rex Racer said:

redd38 said:

Here's my theory on using light speed as a weapon and why it hasn't been used in the past:

I think there is a very small window of distance where this tactic would be useful. Too close and you wouldn't be going fast enough to do much damage. Too far away and you'll make the jump to hyper space before the collision and thus pass right through on different dimensions. So basically Holdo was lucky that she was a very specific distance from the FO ship.
Traveling through hyperspace ain't like dusting crops, boy! Without precise calculations we could fly right through a star or bounce too close to a supernova and that'd end your trip real quick, wouldn't it?

Ok? That doesn't invalidate my theory.
Yes, it does. Flying through hyperspace does not mean you are in a different dimension, or you wouldn't have to worry about flying through a star or bouncing too close to a supernova.

Well hyperspace IS another dimension, however the gravity from large objects (stars, supernova, etc) is still felt there. There's no way you could maneuver around every little object (ships, small asteroids, etc) in the galaxy. So you're either smashing through a bunch of other ships all the time or passing through them in another dimension.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.