*** SW: The Last Jedi - FULL SPOILERS BE IN HERE ***

322,409 Views | 3129 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Definitely Not A Cop
bangobango
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Saul Goodman said:

I think people will come around to this movie more with repeat viewings. Based on reactions from this thread, I think it's obvious TFA had a better initial response, but I think that movie weakens with subsequent viewings and time to think on it.
It's going to depend on how they close it out. They've done some interesting things and they can go a million different ways with the third film. If they knock it out of the park with the third one, it can change the way this movie is perceived.

I don't think middle aged guys like me will probably ever forgive them for not giving our childhood hero a greater swan song, though.
Average Joe
AG
I think y'all need to quit with comparing things to the OT. They are really good, but still full of the same things y'all complain about in the new ones. The only difference is that we have been in the universe for 40 years now. Very little is new.
Silvertaps
AG
My Star Wars power ranking:
1.) Empire Strikes Back
2.) A New Hope
3.) Rouge One
4.) Return of the Jedi
5.) The Last Jedi
6.) The Force Awakens
7.) Return of the Sith
8.) Attack of the Clones

9.) Phantom Garbage.
The Debt
I think when you get all your fanboytingles out and actually watch this stuff objectively you will recognize it for what it is: repackaged crap.
americathegreat1492
The more I think about it, the more I'm thinking this movie is prequel level bad. Maybe not AOTC bad, but somewhere in the prequel tier. I'd probablt give it an overall 3/5 rating even though I actually dislike the movie more than that rating indicates.
Madmarttigan
AG
I think I like the phantom menace more because at least there is duel of the fates. This movie blundered the climatic moments at the end pretty bad. Finn and rose are kid anakin and jar jar bad to me.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
I just returned home from having seen TLJ, and have not had time to read every post here or even to collect my thoughts on this movie.

Overall I really enjoyed the movie. But what is gnawing at me is the whole Kylo/Rey thing where they appeared to be channeling Return of the Jedi by bringing her before Snoke - and then they team up to defeat both Snoke and all his minions. That entire sequence was incredible. I got a vibe that they were going to do something that I never once anticipated - have them team up and bring either Kylo to the light or Rey to the dark. I really thought they were going to do that for a moment there ... and then they didn't. That disappointed me to a certain extent, but I'm going to have to see this one several more times before I can fully digest everything I just saw.

I really loved Yoda's return to the saga, and I must admit to having some onion problems with both the mention of Han Solo and the original Leia hologram. I expected those island critters (pugs or something, not sure what they're called) to be irritating as hell, but they actually turned out to be quite humorous.

The Rose character was worthless. Equally worthless - again - was Phasma. Please, please let that waste of everyone's time be dead. I did really like Benicio del Toro's character.

Loved John Williams' score - no surprise there, but looking forward to getting my hands on the CD (coming via Amazon tonight if their delivery system is to be believed).

And I am not yet ready to rank this one within the pantheon of Star Wars movies. Better than Episodes 1 and 2, definitely not as good as Episodes 5 and 4 or Rogue One.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Thought it was firmly mediocre. And that might be kind. Rose was a cardboard thin ridiculous character to add. The space float was dumb. Hux is almost cartoonish. The "codebreaker" portion was just bad. Didn't care for how they handled Luke. Dismissing Snoke so abruptly harkens back to the prequels and how it flashed thru bad guys.

The battles were great. Light speed kamikaze was awesome. I like Rey and Poe. Thought Kylo was improved as well.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Hologram Luke's hair being shorter and beard darker just seemed more of a confusing distraction than a hint of what was goIng down.
Silvertaps
AG
americathegreat1492 said:

The more I think about it, the more I'm thinking this movie is prequel level bad. Maybe not AOTC bad, but somewhere in the prequel tier. I'd probablt give it an overall 3/5 rating even though I actually dislike the movie more than that rating indicates.

The performances by Daisy, Adam, and Andy (Ray, Kylo, Snoke) is the only reason why I have TLJ so high...they made this movie not suck.
VanZandt92
RT hanging at about 56%. Seems to be settling there.
Ag Since 83
AG
At the theater for viewing #2. Hopefully it goes by quickly.

Will see how it affects my view of the movie. Right now I think it's above the prequels in my ranking. Significantly above the prequels, but below the other movies for the moment
VanZandt92
Ag Since 83 said:

At the theater for viewing #2. Hopefully it goes by quickly.

Will see how it affects my view of the movie. Right now I think it's above the prequels in my ranking. Significantly above the prequels, but below the other movies for the moment
Right now I'm liking many of the prequel scenes better, such as the Kenobi Anakin chase scene, podrace, etc. And the overreaching story on The Last Jedi is nothing special. It is a rehash of common themes that people liked.
AggieChemist
AG
Summary of this thread:

This movie sucks. Prequel level bad. Sitting down for my third viewing.
VanZandt92
Also many of the Boba Fett scenes from the Prequels I'd have to put ahead of scenes in this movie. It has been a darned long time since I saw them, but give me Fett.
VanZandt92
AggieChemist said:

Summary of this thread:

Whoah. Did you get babysitting for this or is West Virginia really cold right now so this is a warm place? (if you don't live there then sorry. I may have the wrong person)
Ag Since 83
VanZandt92
Man the opening music just makes my heart race though. Love it, as do my kids
VanZandt92
May for the Han Solo movie? Is that right?
AggieChemist
AG
VanZandt92 said:

AggieChemist said:

Summary of this thread:

Whoah. Did you get babysitting for this or is West Virginia really cold right now so this is a warm place? (if you don't live there then sorry. I may have the wrong person)

Babysitting? What are you even talking about?

And yes, it's cold in WV... It's December.
wangus12
AG
Okay. Just got out of a second viewing and I like it a whole lot more now. I was definitely skewed by what I wanted to see from Luke Skywalker and how I'd always envisioned it. I really think it fits better after a second viewing and realizing that the story is about hope. I could actually see them doing a bit of a time jump before the next fill and seeing a more fleshed-out Rebellion and perhaps Rey is trying to train some newer Jedi. She has the text and I think that is why they had the ending with the little kid the way they did. I pretty much liked everything better the second time except for space Leia because that's still ridiculous
nikator
AG
It amuses me how pissed off people are about Phasma's abrupt story arc...yet Boba Fett with like 1 line of dialogue and 2-3 appearances in Empire and RotJ with an equally abrupt death became a cult character for the fanboys.

---------------

"A man without a belly is like a house without a balcony"
- Old Turkish saying
DannyDuberstein
AG
I'm glad they dumped Phasma. Thought it was a lame character.
redd38
AG
RT audience score is down to 56% now. Lowest in the franchise.
redd38
AG
nikator said:

People aren't upset that the plot is different, they are upset that the plot sucked. They aren't upset that they took risks, they are upset that most of those risks didn't work.
Know Your Enemy
AG
I am blasting this movie not for taking chances but for taking stupid chances.
rfvgy12
AG
Did I see the Jedi Books in a drawer in the Falcon?
bangobango
AG
So, I must have missed it, when did the slave kid at the end show he had force powers?

My boys are convinced the third movie is going to be about that boy.
AgLaw
AG
Just finished my second watch. Significantly more enjoyable. Once you can watch it without your preconceived notions. It's a damn good movie.
wangus12
AG
Yes
americathegreat1492
For the record, TFA just had more heart to it despite all the plot flaws. TLJ has little heart and just as many plot flaws.
redd38
AG
bangobango said:

So, I must have missed it, when did the slave kid at the end show he had force powers?

My boys are convinced the third movie is going to be about that boy.

When he walks out the door he forces pulls the broom into his hand. Not far, just like 6 inches.
tjack16
AG
I really want to see what directors like JJ abrams and Rian Johnson would have done with the prequel trilogy
rfvgy12
AG
wangus12 said:

Yes

Thanks. The scene was fast.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.