*** SW: The Last Jedi - FULL SPOILERS BE IN HERE ***

322,419 Views | 3129 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Definitely Not A Cop
OldShadeOfBlue
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My problems with this movie are endless. From the overuse of sitcom style comic relief cutting up every dramatic moment, to a real lack of original score (something Star Wars has always delivered), to a cast that's just too large to cram into a meaningful plot, to story arcs introduced in Ep 7 being cut off without any sort of meaningful resolution, to many other things that have already been covered in the thread already. It all just adds up to a mess of a movie and it shows me this trilogy is headed towards becoming the worst in the series.

And with all that said my number one frustration with these last two movies is it has weakened the resolution of the OT. To see the state of the First Order and the Resistance now it just makes me wonder what the entire point of the Rebellion defeating the Empire and the Sith was. 30 years later after the galaxy celebrated the end of the Empire without any explanation at all, here it is all back to the way it was to be repeated almost exactly the same way (at least this time in much less interesting way).

I've seen discussions about how this movie highlights how the past no longer matters. Well now, arguably the most iconic trilogy of all time, it's plot no longer matters.

We will look back at these films 30 years from now and see how pointless they were in comparison to the OT. The one saving grace of this movie is a line that at first I never wanted to hear, but now I realize the truth to it. It's time for the Jedi to end. They've taken a classic and have brought it back for... whatever the point of these movies are... I guess it was eventually going to happen but I hoped that after 30+ years someone would have written a screenplay that captured half of the magic Lucas did a long, long time ago, on a cutting floor about a thousand miles away.
OSOB
Dekker_Lentz
AG
If I was going to let my inner fan boy out, I would make Episodes 1-6 be the rise and fall of Darth Vader. Episodes 1-9, the Rise and Fall of Emperor Palpatine. I would have made Snoke and Rey clones of the Emperor and that they were sort of contingent plans. Obviously more would need to go into it, but something Along those lines.

Then I would set up the last standalone movie, to be Palpatine's story with Plagious, why he did what he did in the prequels, and the sequels. Maybe make that a trilogy, but I don't think it is necessary.

Just my .02 terrible fanboy idea.
SeattleAgJr
Dekker_Lentz said:

terrible fanboy idea.
Cromagnum
AG
YouBet said:

Just got out. I'm probably like most on here. I give it around a 6.5 out of 10. I knew I would be torn on this with the opening "on hold" scene. That was incredibly dumb and GotG. It works there; not here. The humor was clearly borrowed from GotG and felt out of place and forced. I thought the humor in the OT was more natural.

There were some amazing arcs. I really liked Luke's arc in that while he's not a JAG...he's also not a God. Ironically, he sure felt like one at the end.

My wife hated Laura Dern's character. She thought it was too Hunger Games and pointed out all humans in this movie looked like normal humans and then all of a sudden this purple haired chick comes out of nowhere. Should have been Ackbar.

One last thing: there is no way Rey's parents were drug addict nobodies. That was purely Kylo trying to manipulate the situation like any Sith Lord naturally would do. At this point, I'm going back to thinking she is related to Kenobi.

Ben Kanobi was just a weird old hermit that nobody thought twice of. Seemed like he knew his way around Mos Eisley Cantina bars too.
Ag Since 83
AG
Dekker_Lentz said:

If I was going to let my inner fan boy out, I would make Episodes 1-6 be the rise and fall of Darth Vader. Episodes 1-9, the Rise and Fall of Emperor Palpatine. I would have made Snoke and Rey clones of the Emperor and that they were sort of contingent plans. Obviously more would need to go into it, but something Along those lines.

Then I would set up the last standalone movie, to be Palpatine's story with Plagious, why he did what he did in the prequels, and the sequels. Maybe make that a trilogy, but I don't think it is necessary.

Just my .02 terrible fanboy idea.
Let the past die. Kill it, if you have to.
Laser Wolf
Spot on review.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/24773/star-wars-last-jedi-full-shapiro-review-ben-shapiro

Quote:

2. There Is No Gravity In Space. The opening sequence features bombers dropping explosives on a First Order dreadnought. It's a cool scene. But the bombers literally drop explosives in space. That's not a thing, guys.

3. Snoke Is A Throwaway. In the last film, JJ Abrams made a big deal out of this Snoke guy. Now, I'm not a fellow who spends a lot of time googling whether Snoke is actually Darth Plagueis or whether he's Mace Windu. But if you're going to build up a big baddie who has the power to seduce Kylo Ren to the Dark Side, completely override Rey's force abilities, and threaten Luke, you've got to tell us who the heck he is. And then he's dispatched in particularly easy fashion by Kylo Ren. It's satisfying to see him go, but he can't be that scary if Kylo Ren can take him out by activating a light saber.

9. Poe Dameron's Story Arc Is Foolish. Poe is supposed to be newfangled Han Solo. Fail. First off, there is no new Han Solo. Second, Poe is a dolt. And Admiral Laura Dern, working with Leia, has a plan they could easily just tell Poe and solve half the conflict of the plot. Why keep it secret from Poe? We never find out. Instead, Poe runs around like a moron, making stupid plans with Finn that have no actual effect on the plotline.

10. Finn's Storyline Is Useless. Finn should have died at the end of TFA. He should have died at the end of The Last Jedi. Instead, he goes on a random jaunt to Monte Carlo with aliens, and then rides a bunch of camel/horse/kangeroos to freedom while street urchins cheer. It's godawful. Then, finally, when he's about to do something useful, Rose stops him from doing it. Why is he here again, except to have awkward hugs with Rey?

11. Rose Is Useless. Rose is added to the plot to give Finn someone to travel with and develop awkward romance with. But her presence is simply not useful. She doesn't do anything particularly special. She does give Finn a lecture about income inequality, though. So I guess that's something.

12. Social Justice Warrioring On Interplanetary Monte Carlo Is Awful. Awful. In this little jaunt, we learn that income inequality is bad (see, street urchins are riding the magic horsecamels, and that's terrible!), that animal abuse is bad (see, the ugly alien is abusing the magic horsecamels and that's terrible!), and that weapons dealing is bad (yeah, talk to the Rebel Alliance using all those X-Wings). This whole sequence never should have happened.

13. Captain Phasma Is A Nothing. She's apparently a white woman who wears a cool suit, and then Finn a dude who five seconds ago was a janitor beats her. Welp.

14. Luke Shouldn't Have Been A Hologram. Turning Luke into Obi-Wan Kenobe for purposes of the reset makes some sense. But his death made none. Why is it cool for Luke to survive a barrage from AT-ATs if he's not even there? Why is it cool for Luke to best Kylo Ren in a light saber battle if (1) Rey has already done so, and (2) Luke isn't even there? They easily could have brought Luke there, and had him do exactly the same thing, but sacrifice himself or perhaps just fade away in front of Kylo Ren.

16. Light Speed Can't Be Used As A Weapon. You can't destroy ships by flying at them at light speed. If you could, the entire first scene would have been unnecessary (forget the bombers, just shoot an X-wing through that dreadnought), and the Rebel Alliance could have taken down every Death Star ever in the same way.

17. Why Would Luke Try To Kill Kylo? He tried to save Vader after Vader destroyed a planet and cut off his hand. He sensed good in him. He senses evil in Kylo and for a moment wants to kill him? That seems like a mild stretch at best.

bangobango
AG
bangobango
AG

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
People complaining about the bombs falling are absolutely idiotic. Know what else doesn't exist in space? Sound.
SeattleAgJr
Let the (nerd) hate flow through you!
MBUSA
I know my opinion means squat here, as I am not a star wars aficionado, even though I seen all of them. I just didn't feel entertained. Felt more like going through the motions. The writing was very uncompelling.

I get that this has become just a money making venture, but they should be able to do much better with character development. It is so empty.
AGinHI
AG
OldShadeOfBlue said:

They've taken a classic and have brought it back for... whatever the point of these movies are...
Merchandise sales? Cash grab?
SeattleAgJr
every single thing out of Rian's piehole is just the absolute worst.

someone at lucasfilm should shut him the hell up.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Lol.

The absolute hatred for Rian is just preposterous.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
MFK: George Lucas, Rian Johnson, Hayden Christensen.
SeattleAgJr
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Lol.

The absolute hatred for Rian is just preposterous.
he demonstrated he does not understand these characters.

he has demonstrated he cannot tell this kind of story.
so many bad decisions or mediocre decisions executed poorly. bad storytelling that went nowhere for half the movie.

I am glad you enjoyed the movie. but many of us find it lackluster, and that is fully on Rian who was both the storywriter and the director.
Bruce Almighty
AG
The OT had sinking spaceships and dodging asteroids through an asteroid belt. Why don't people hate on that?
bangobango
AG
Really liked the close of Shapiro's review:

Quote:

Those big things that are right with the film are more important, in many ways, than the things that are wrong with the film. Rian Johnson, the director, didn't play it safe, and that's great. But he did play it safe by having Kylo return to the Dark Side and turning Rey into an avatar of populism. Those are mistakes that will haunt the franchise. And without Luke and Han and the nostalgia factor, can Star Wars carry forward with the same legacy, without just turning into another Avengers series a fun watch that has no real emotional resonance?

Overall, better than The Force Awakens, which doesn't hold up on repeat, and planted seeds that poisoned The Last Jedi, particularly with regard to Kylo Ren. Not as good as Rogue One, and below Return of the Jedi. It's difficult to imagine how Episode IX can remain interesting with a universe this narrowed and a set of compelling characters reduced to a grand total of two: Kylo and Rey.

I disagree where he ranks it. I think this movie is going to make huge, huge problems for this franchise going forward. I think you will see a huge downturn in opening weekend attendance for the next film and I kind of feel sorry for JJ Abrams.

I mean, is anybody excited about where they are going to go with this now?

Rey is already fully realized as a protagonist. She can't really get any more powerful or perfect. She has yet to **** anything up or make any mistakes. She has more wisdom and power than the most powerful Jedi of all time.

They've completely ruined Finn's character. They had a lot of potential with him from the start. A deserter from the First Order was a cool idea and could have really gone some interesting ways, but now I cannot figure out where they are going with him and, unlike at the end of the TFA, I don't care anymore.

Kylo is the big bad. Cool. I think he is by far the most interesting character left, but like Shapiro says, now what? He has killed everyone he wanted to kill and he probably won't or can't kill Rey, so now what? He gets more angry and angsty? He and Hux go back and forth like potluck roommates?

Poe sucks now. Makes nothing but bad decisions. Hard to believe anybody would follow him after he basically got the whole resistance destroyed. And that's if we just completely ignore that he committed open mutiny and should have been executed by any reasonable measure.

Rose ****ing sucks. **** Rose. If they don't kill her off in first ten minutes, then they suck. WTF is the point of Rose, seriously?

I mean, seriously, all this talk and not one person has even speculated about where episode nine will go. There is literally nothing left to speculate about. This *****bag Johnson screwed over Abrams so bad. And Disney signed him up for a trilogy? The fuq?
SeattleAgJr
Bruce Almighty said:

The OT had sinking spaceships and dodging asteroids through an asteroid belt. Why don't people hate on that?
because it was AWESOME!
SeattleAgJr
bangobango said:

Quote:

It's difficult to imagine how Episode IX can remain interesting with a universe this narrowed and a set of compelling characters reduced to a grand total of two: Kylo and Rey.

so much this.

I do not care about Rey at all anymore, and Kylo only deserves a brutal, horrible, tortuous death.
Bruce Almighty
AG
SeattleAgJr said:

Bruce Almighty said:

because it was AWESOME!

And scientifically impossible. But the second a post OT movie breaks the laws of physics, it's awful.
SeattleAgJr
Bruce Almighty said:

SeattleAgJr said:

Bruce Almighty said:

because it was AWESOME!

And scientifically impossible. But the second a post OT movie breaks the laws of physics, it's awful.
there is a lot of crap in the OT.
Mark's acting.
Disappearing people, violating physical laws
stupid plotting (why did the Death Star not just hyperspace to Yavin, instead of going around it.
Sound in space.
The whole inside the slug while exposed to vacuum.
Ewoks.
etc
etc
etc
But they were earnest.

This movie was so heavy handed that it is hard to excuse the rest around it because they missed the actual story beats and emotion that make the movie resonate.

The OT had many flaws, but it had a good story AND it resonated.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

I mean, seriously, all this talk and not one person has even speculated about where episode nine will go. There is literally nothing left to speculate about. This *****bag Johnson screwed over Abrams so bad. And Disney signed him up for a trilogy? The fuq?

You don't find it the least bit exciting that we have no idea where the story can go from here?
SeattleAgJr
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Quote:

You don't find it the least bit exciting that we have no idea where the story can go from here?
not with where they left it.

they have made many of the characters unlikeable, boring or just plain stupid.
major plot lines were resolved (e.g., Snoke), destroying the resistance, wiping out the OT main stars. So there is nothing really BIG to build up to.

Yes, there will be the inevitable Rey vs Kylo meeting, but we already had that to some extent. All the other major story stakes have been resolved or are irrelevant.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

SeattleAgJr said:

Bruce Almighty said:

because it was AWESOME!

I can suspend disbelief if it's cool.

Like with the light speed missile, while it opens up a whole can of worms with why they didn't do this with any of the Death Stars, Dreadnought, etc. it was badass.

But (and I'm sorry for bringing this up again) when a laser, which by definition means it travels in a straight line, follows the trajectory of a mortar shell, in space, a zero gravity environment, it just makes me wonder who the hell approved that idea. It's just so unbelievably dumb.
M.C. Swag
AG
You are making a bigger deal out of it than anyone else who has off-handedly mentioned it. No one walked out of the theatre disappointed because Rian Johnson got fast and loose with physics. I wish no one would bring it up simply so you can put down your sword defending it.
G Martin 87
AG
Blue star for Shapiro right here (emphasis mine):
Quote:

19. Kylo Should Have Sided With Rey. This is the biggest problem of all. Once Kylo and Rey team up, they should stay teamed up. Rey is a far cooler character as a moderating influence on Kylo than on her own. And Kylo is far more interesting as a character trying to hold his darkness in check than as a guy who gives into it. There's also no hint that Kylo has some desperate need to rule the universe, so it's odd that he gives up the possibilities of a joint rule with Rey in order to destroy the transports. Why wouldn't he just call off the attack on the transports and then work with Rey? That would be a radically different direction for the franchise. As it is, we're back to Luke vs. Darth, that binary fight that was only interesting the first time around.
If Rian wanted to "subvert expectations", that's how he should have done it. Ren, Rey, and Luke against the First Order with a shattered Resistance and the Millenium Falcon to back them up.
MBAR
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

People complaining about the bombs falling are absolutely idiotic. Know what else doesn't exist in space? Sound.
The Star Destroyers always "fall" when they're damaged too! LOL, people upset about Star Wars physics is hilarious.
Laser Wolf
bangobango said:

Quote:

Those big things that are right with the film are more important, in many ways, than the things that are wrong with the film. Rian Johnson, the director, didn't play it safe, and that's great. But he did play it safe by having Kylo return to the Dark Side and turning Rey into an avatar of populism. Those are mistakes that will haunt the franchise. And without Luke and Han and the nostalgia factor, can Star Wars carry forward with the same legacy, without just turning into another Avengers series a fun watch that has no real emotional resonance?

Overall, better than The Force Awakens, which doesn't hold up on repeat, and planted seeds that poisoned The Last Jedi, particularly with regard to Kylo Ren. Not as good as Rogue One, and below Return of the Jedi. It's difficult to imagine how Episode IX can remain interesting with a universe this narrowed and a set of compelling characters reduced to a grand total of two: Kylo and Rey.

I disagree where he ranks it. I think this movie is going to make huge, huge problems for this franchise going forward. I think you will see a huge downturn in opening weekend attendance for the next film and I kind of feel sorry for JJ Abrams.

I mean, is anybody excited about where they are going to go with this now?

Rey is already fully realized as a protagonist. She can't really get any more powerful or perfect. She has yet to **** anything up or make any mistakes. She has more wisdom and power than the most powerful Jedi of all time.

They've completely ruined Finn's character. They had a lot of potential with him from the start. A deserter from the First Order was a cool idea and could have really gone some interesting ways, but now I cannot figure out where they are going with him and, unlike at the end of the TFA, I don't care anymore.

Kylo is the big bad. Cool. I think he is by far the most interesting character left, but like Shapiro says, now what? He has killed everyone he wanted to kill and he probably won't or can't kill Rey, so now what? He gets more angry and angsty? He and Hux go back and forth like potluck roommates?

Poe sucks now. Makes nothing but bad decisions. Hard to believe anybody would follow him after he basically got the whole resistance destroyed. And that's if we just completely ignore that he committed open mutiny and should have been executed by any reasonable measure.

Rose ****ing sucks. **** Rose. If they don't kill her off in first ten minutes, then they suck. WTF is the point of Rose, seriously?

I want to blue star this 50 more times.
YouBet
AG
Hadn't thought about the fact that you essentially only have two characters of any substance left. Agree that Finn was hung out to dry here, Rose was there to fill space, and Chewie has been relegated to 3rd tier status.

Poe is meant to be the next Rebel leader based on Leias deference at the end, but he was completely set up for failure by his own leaders which was one of the more nonsensical plot holes I've seen in a while. Plus, his character is Han without the charm and Kirk without the intelligence.

Dammit, the more I think about this movie the lower my initial 6.5 drops.
SeattleAgJr
YouBet said:

Dammit, the more I think about this movie the lower my initial 6.5 drops.
PatAg
AG
seattleag has some serious issues
Ag Since 83
AG
RE: The bombs. There are plenty of possible explanations that are reasonable suspension of disbelief. Here's one: The bomb bay is obviously pressurized/has artificial gravity since Paige can survive in there, so when she pushes the button, whatever is holding them releases them, and they fall according to that artificial gravity. When they leave the ship's gravity, they keep moving the same direction. And thus, bombs "falling" in space.

Use your imagination. Not that hard.
SeattleAgJr
PatAg said:

yes.
#1 on the list... TLJ.
MBAR
AG
SeattleAgJr said:

PatAg said:

yes.
#1 on the list... TLJ.
I mean its fine whatever opinion you formed about the movie, but what I don't get is why you're so desperate to get people to agree with you about it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.