*** SW: The Last Jedi - FULL SPOILERS BE IN HERE ***

322,417 Views | 3129 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Definitely Not A Cop
evan_aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wife and I finally watched this. We enjoyed it quite a bit. I think both of us went in expecting a let down given all of the audience and fan-boy criticism. We found it entertaining, mostly well paced, fun, etc. it was a movie you don't have to think a lot about and just enjoy the ride.

Very surprised at folks calling it terrible or a huge let down.
Pro Ag
AG
Maximus_Meridius said:

aggiephoenix02 said:

A lot of your questions are answered in the books.
If you really want to know, and aren't just complaining to complain...
What books, exactly? I've never read any Star Wars books, and it's my understanding that they tossed out a lot with TFA.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline_of_canon_books#js

I enjoy most of the books, however movie fans shouldn't have to read them to know what is going on. The end of Bloodline (I think) addresses the question about the First Order and the Resistance, however it's been a while since I listened to that book.

coupland boy
AG
Watched it this past weekend.

Leia frozen routine had a jump the shark feel to it. I just didn't enjoy it much. Glad some of you did though.

If the last movie was similar to A New Hope then thiss one had a lot of parallels to Empire Strikes Back.

All this has probably already beed said bit I'm not going back to read all the pages of comments.
VanZandt92
coupland boy said:

Watched it this past weekend.

Leia frozen routine had a jump the shark feel to it. I just didn't enjoy it much. Glad some of you did though.

If the last movie was similar to A New Hope then thiss one had a lot of parallels to Empire Strikes Back.

All this has probably already beed said bit I'm not going back to read all the pages of comments.

There's only 3000 comments. Bet you can knock it out by Friday.
VanZandt92
Maximus_Meridius said:

aggiephoenix02 said:

What books, exactly? I've never read any Star Wars books, and it's my understanding that they tossed out a lot with TFA.

The multiple books I read were not good.
SeattleAgJr
VanZandt92 said:

Maximus_Meridius said:

aggiephoenix02 said:

Pretty much all of them are "not good".
Sadly.

The Thrawn one is excellent. The Rebels Rising one is OK.

And that is it.

All of the rest I can take or leave.
Liquid Wrench
Rotten Tomatoes audience score has dropped to 49%.

Pretty impressive that the handful of poster here who didn't like it were able to overwhelm a site like RT. Good work, team.
SeattleAgJr
ChiliBeans said:

Pretty impressive that the handful of poster here who didn't like it were able to overwhelm a site like RT. Good work, team.
Texags! We win polls!

That is about how I would rate it anyways.
I did not enjoy the story, I did not enjoy the characters, I did not enjoy how they disregarded everything that came before.

It was an OK movie on its own. It was a horrible Star Wars movie within the context of the universe.

Meh. Disney made their money, and they are moving on. Hopefully they learned something from this.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
ChiliBeans said:

Yeah sure.

Notice it says 49% but below that it says average fan score is 3/5. Thats interesting too. And 90% by critics.
Definitely some vocal minority on RT pushing that low for some reason.

Also I notice that it is holding steady at 7.5/10.0 on IMDB with 100K more voters.
And IMDB is by far the more respected fan vote.

It's doing just fine despite the few naysayers.
The Collective
AG
VanZandt92 said:

Maximus_Meridius said:

aggiephoenix02 said:

I tried a few as well, and I can't get past the terrible writing.

I didn't read the books that are now considered legends as a kid either.
The Collective
AG
SeattleAgJr said:

Hopefully they learned something from this.

Doubt it. Disney is all about applying a formula that prints money. They will continue trying to acquire properties, so they can shut down all of their potential competition.
Cromagnum
AG
SeattleAgJr said:

ChiliBeans said:

Texags! We win polls!

That is about how I would rate it anyways.
I did not enjoy the story, I did not enjoy the characters, I did not enjoy how they disregarded everything that came before.

It was an OK movie on its own. It was a horrible Star Wars movie within the context of the universe.

Meh. Disney made their money, and they are moving on. Hopefully they learned something from this.

They sure did. "Star Wars movies make money no matter what they are about. We need to make a new trilogy after this one and keep milking this alien cow"
Flashdiaz
AG
and that's why I think Rey's parents being nobodies and the random little kid with force powers reinforces the idea a force user can come from anywhere, which leads to endless story lines.

Although, that broom kids name is Temiri Blagg which is a bleh name... hopefully he adopts another name if he intends to be badass.
bangobango
AG
Flashdiaz said:

and that's why I think Rey's parents being nobodies and the random little kid with force powers reinforces the idea a force user can come from anywhere, which leads to endless story lines.

Although, that broom kids name is Temiri Blagg which is a bleh name... hopefully he adopts another name if he intends to be badass.

I keep reading this but I cannot figure out for the life of me when it wasn't ever this way?
The Collective
AG
Flashdiaz said:

hopefully he adopts another name if he intends to be badass.

I know one path that leads to a name change.
redline248
AG
Darth Blagg has a pretty good ring to it, eh?
redline248
AG
bangobango said:

Flashdiaz said:

I keep reading this but I cannot figure out for the life of me when it wasn't ever this way?
Exactly. Pretty much every single Jedi we've ever known EXCEPT Luke came from "anywhere."
coupland boy
AG
redline248 said:

bangobango said:

Flashdiaz said:

Exactly. Pretty much every single Jedi we've ever known EXCEPT Luke came from "anywhere."

Luke surely had a crapload of midichilorians or whatever
Flashdiaz
AG
bangobango said:

Flashdiaz said:

i should have bolded REINFORCES.

For the general public watching the movies (where the money is made), it's about the Skywalker bloodline, always has been. Luke, Anakin and now Kylo. It's a reminder that hey, you don't have to be a Skywalker to be powerful.
redline248
AG
speaking of midichlorians...lol...

Anakin was said to have more than Yoda. So do you think he had more than the emperor, too? Or Luke?

Does Rey have more than Luke? What about Snoke? such powerful force users, surely have a ton of them, right?
The Collective
AG
Maybe Snoke is Vader's force daddy.
SeattleAgJr
CJS4715 said:

Maybe Snoke is Vader's force daddy.
Nope.

He was just Darth Nothing-burger.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
bangobango said:

Flashdiaz said:

Yeah, Force-users - even in the EU - were randomly found alot, and it also skipped generations, etc.

Kyp Durron
Mara Jade
Corran Horn
Kyle Katarn
Tenel Ka
Kam & Tionne Salusar
Kirana Ti
Dorsk 81
Cilghal
Lowbacca

That was the appeal of the Force for me as well... It wasn't inherited, though it was more likely you'd have it if your parent(s) did... some families would have generations of force-users, some force-users were completely random...
BCG Disciple
AG
Side question:

The prophecy was always that Anakin would bring balance. Did he do that? What is considered balance?

When there were two sith and two Jedi? Ie, sideous/Vader and yoda/obw
When it was only Luke and Snook after ep 6?
After ep 8 where it is Kylo and Rey?

All of these scenarios stem from Anakin. Has the prophecy been fulfilled?
double aught
AG
I think the real answer is that Lucas came up with a line that didn't really make much sense and doesn't stand up to scrutiny. But it's still worth discussing.
The Collective
AG
Well, I don't think balance is about # of trained force users. Also, I think chasing the prophecy was a Jedi mistake in Rian Johnson's SWU.
Carlo4
AG
IMO, these 9 movies are all about the Skywalker family. I think what 8 does it tear away the bandaid far too quickly and in the worst way possible.

1-3 all about Anikan turning to Vader. Twins born.
4-6. Luke, Leia, and friends go up against Empire and their dad. Dad dies saving son and is redeemed.
7. Kylo is A skywalker. Kills dad. Go find Luke.
8. Kylo still evil. Does he even know his mom is dead? Luke is dead.

So, for episode 9 to conclude the Skywalker saga: Kylo must die. He can't redeem himself as the ultimate leader. Leia will surely die. No more Skywalkers.

It's a horrific end to a great story. I still say Kylo lied and knows who Rey is. But I wouldn't put it past everyone writing episode 9 to overlook the hint in TFA that strongly hints he knows her.
Ag Since 83
AG
I have rewritten the prequals in my head over and over, and I think the biggest change I would have made (besides starting episode 1 when Anakin is 19) would be to completely flip the prophecy around. Have the prophecy be the belief of some group of the general public (call them the Church of the Force) but the Jedi know it's false. The Church identifies Anakin as their chosen one and it goes to his head. The Jedi can't talk him out of it. That's what drives his desire for power and his split from the Jedi
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
That's pretty good.
agracer
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

That's pretty good.
it's better than bringing galactic war over a piece of tail.....I remember reading RotS and got to the part where Anikan 'turned' to the dark side...I was thinking "are you kidding me...that's IT....he's trying to keep his woman alive based off the comments of a KNOW LIAR (Palpatine) saying he knows how to bring back the dead so he kills 1000's.....)
BCG Disciple
AG
Ag Since 83 said:

I have rewritten the prequals in my head over and over, and I think the biggest change I would have made (besides starting episode 1 when Anakin is 19) would be to completely flip the prophecy around. Have the prophecy be the belief of some group of the general public (call them the Church of the Force) but the Jedi know it's false. The Church identifies Anakin as their chosen one and it goes to his head. The Jedi can't talk him out of it. That's what drives his desire for power and his split from the Jedi

I actually like the balance prophecy. So many options of what is meant by balance. Anakin was the chosen one which meant he would kill the most powerful Sith Lord to ever exist, a sith that singularly controlled the galaxy. Never before was power so completely centralized as what the emperor had. The greatest part is that "the rest of the story" is that he helped the emperor achieve that power first and was instrumental in nearly exterminating all Jedi, etc. One hell of a catch 22.
bangobango
AG
Quote:

That sequel is Disney/Lucasfilm's current release Star Wars: The Last Jedi. With China now clearly a huge bust for the picture, $1.4 billion in global receipts is a pipe dream, and even $1.3 billion might be a stretch. Which means Episode VIII: The Last Jedi will earn at least $700 million less in global box office revenue, and probably closer to $800 million less, than the $2.07 billion total of Episode VII: The Force Awakens (Rogue One: A Star Wars Story may have immediately preceeded Last Jedi, but it is properly classified as a spin-off, not a sequel, so I didn't include it in this analysis). That's easily a $200 million bigger drop than the previous sequel-to-sequel record holder, Transformers: The Last Knight, which collected nearly $500 million less than Transformers 4's 2014 total of $1.1 billion. The Last Jedi is the new all-time champion of sequel collapses.

Quote:

The apologists also claim that $1.2 or $1.3 billion is a huge total, and that on that point alone, The Last Jedimust be deemed a big success. I can't deny that $1.3 billion is a lot of money, but the argument is nevertheless still fallacious in my opinion. It's as if Disney invested a huge amount of money to get Albert Pujols in his prime, and after a 47 home run season, the next year he hit 28. Sure, you could argue that for most players, 28 home runs would be great. But for Albert Pujols in his prime, it stinks. Disney didn't pay hundreds of millions for production costs and marketing to make a movie that will earn nearly 40 percent less than its predecessor.

?width=960

I don't mind saying that you enjoyed the movie. I don't mind saying you don't understand how so many can hate it so much.

What drives me crazy is some of you acting like this is just a few random nuts on reddit or Texags and everybody else just loves it. Once you get past the huge corporate media conglomerates (that are probably at least partially owned by Disney), the feedback on this movie is almost universally negative.

I've said this several times in this thread, but this was a damaging blow to this franchise, the full repercussions of which will not be known for many years. Perhaps JJ Abrams can pull it out of the fire with the third movie. I certainly hope so.

They're going to have to figure out what makes Star Wars so beloved wasn't just the blaster and the "light swords."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/robcain/2018/01/06/last-jedi-has-set-its-first-box-office-record-biggest-ever-sequel-to-sequel-plunge/#745cfc4c42ee
M.C. Swag
AG
Not shocking at all. I expect Ep. 9 will suffer an even more dramatic dropoff. Ep. 8 completely erased whatever momentum or interest I had in the characters. So so so so mad how they wrote out Luke Skywalker.
DannyDuberstein
AG
BernArnold said:

ChiliBeans said:

Yeah sure.

Notice it says 49% but below that it says average fan score is 3/5. Thats interesting too. And 90% by critics.
Definitely some vocal minority on RT pushing that low for some reason.

Also I notice that it is holding steady at 7.5/10.0 on IMDB with 100K more voters.
And IMDB is by far the more respected fan vote.

It's doing just fine despite the few naysayers.
Vocal minority of 51%? If more than half of the fans on RT don't like it, yet the score falls above the midrange at 3/5, then it's actually the minority (those that liked it) logging 5/5's that pull it up by giving it a high score (i.e. 5/5) vs. the majority (those that disliked it) pulling it down with an overly negative individual score.

In the end, money talks. bangobango's post above is extremely telling.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
bangobango said:

Quote:

That sequel is Disney/Lucasfilm's current release Star Wars: The Last Jedi. With China now clearly a huge bust for the picture, $1.4 billion in global receipts is a pipe dream, and even $1.3 billion might be a stretch. Which means Episode VIII: The Last Jedi will earn at least $700 million less in global box office revenue, and probably closer to $800 million less, than the $2.07 billion total of Episode VII: The Force Awakens (Rogue One: A Star Wars Story may have immediately preceeded Last Jedi, but it is properly classified as a spin-off, not a sequel, so I didn't include it in this analysis). That's easily a $200 million bigger drop than the previous sequel-to-sequel record holder, Transformers: The Last Knight, which collected nearly $500 million less than Transformers 4's 2014 total of $1.1 billion. The Last Jedi is the new all-time champion of sequel collapses.

Quote:

The apologists also claim that $1.2 or $1.3 billion is a huge total, and that on that point alone, The Last Jedimust be deemed a big success. I can't deny that $1.3 billion is a lot of money, but the argument is nevertheless still fallacious in my opinion. It's as if Disney invested a huge amount of money to get Albert Pujols in his prime, and after a 47 home run season, the next year he hit 28. Sure, you could argue that for most players, 28 home runs would be great. But for Albert Pujols in his prime, it stinks. Disney didn't pay hundreds of millions for production costs and marketing to make a movie that will earn nearly 40 percent less than its predecessor.

?width=960

I don't mind saying that you enjoyed the movie. I don't mind saying you don't understand how so many can hate it so much.

What drives me crazy is some of you acting like this is just a few random nuts on reddit or Texags and everybody else just loves it. Once you get past the huge corporate media conglomerates (that are probably at least partially owned by Disney), the feedback on this movie is almost universally negative.

I've said this several times in this thread, but this was a damaging blow to this franchise, the full repercussions of which will not be known for many years. Perhaps JJ Abrams can pull it out of the fire with the third movie. I certainly hope so.

They're going to have to figure out what makes Star Wars so beloved wasn't just the blaster and the "light swords."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/robcain/2018/01/06/last-jedi-has-set-its-first-box-office-record-biggest-ever-sequel-to-sequel-plunge/#745cfc4c42ee

BullS.....

I've seen plenty of things from people not associated with Disney that loved it....there have been several posted on here from various sources like blogs, web shows, etc. or longtime fans and reviewers alike.

And

a. everyone knew it was not going to do TFA numbers that had a built in pent up demand. even those predicting success were looking at 650-750M domestic. And maybe $1.5B WW.
b. we now have some oversaturation of SW movies actually and
c. it is outperforming the most recent actually, Rogue One which was highly regarded

$1.3 billion and counting is not a damaging blow to anything...and personally I'm glad they ignored fanboy wishes and did something unique and unexpected. An ESB homage or another TFA would have been a huge disaster.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.