*** SW: The Last Jedi - FULL SPOILERS BE IN HERE ***

344,641 Views | 3129 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by Definitely Not A Cop
bobinator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Well she had her moments with Luke throughout the film. That was Kylo's moment with Luke.

Although I do wonder how she got from Snoke's room back onto Falcon.
jabberwalkie09
AG
bobinator said:

Well she had her moments with Luke throughout the film. That was Kylo's moment with Luke.

Although I do wonder how she got from Snoke's room back onto Falcon.
Kylo said something about something of Snoke's she took. Whether that's true or not, don't know. I think Kylo was just covering his ass that point.
4stringAg
AG
I haven't seen it yet but read this thread (I don't mind spoilers before seeing a movie).

So did they reveal nothing about Snoke's origin? Seems like that was sort of a build up in TFA that we'd learn more about "the mysterious supreme leader Snoke". Or was he just another Sith Lord that appeared at some point between ROTJ and TFA?
Flashdiaz
AG
4stringAg said:

I haven't seen it yet but read this thread (I don't mind spoilers before seeing a movie).

So did they reveal nothing about Snoke's origin? Seems like that was sort of a build up in TFA that we'd learn more about "the mysterious supreme leader Snoke". Or was he just another Sith Lord that appeared at some point between ROTJ and TFA?
Just watch the movie.....

and you'll still have the same questions afterwards.
VanZandt92
Champ Bailey said:

Jim01 said:

Not sure it's been commented on, but did anyone else notice that on the final scene, when the boy walks out to sweep, he reaches for the broom but didn't seem to grab it, rather it floated the last few inches to him?

Yes. I hated it. Unless they are going to introduce a completely new Jedi Master in 9, it makes zero sense how an orphan boy has that much casual control over the force.

Speaking of which, I guess they have set up the plot where Leia will be teaching Rey how to control the force in the next one?

Just recycle the same story. I'm sure Star Wars wouldn't do that.
VanZandt92
Flashdiaz said:

4stringAg said:

Just watch the movie.....

and you'll still have the same questions afterwards.
Jim01
AG
VanZandt92
Carpet bombing. Suspend thoughts and enjoy.
bobinator
AG
4stringAg said:

We know absolutely nothing about him, except that either he took a spill in an acid bath or his species has skin issues.

The way he went out also bothered me. Like, he was the most powerful force wielder we've ever seen, and he couldn't sense that Kylo was turning the light saber right beside him?
tjack16
AG
bobinator said:

4stringAg said:

We know absolutely nothing about him, except that either he took a spill in an acid bath or his species has skin issues.

The way he went out also bothered me. Like, he was the most powerful force wielder we've ever seen, and he couldn't sense that Kylo was turning the light saber right beside him?
I'm sure they will release comics or a novel about him... but I'd like to have found out more in the movie.
bobinator
AG
VanZandt92 said:

Yeah, things like this don't bother me. Maybe they use some sort of tension system to push the bombs out of the ship, maybe it's some sort of magnetic field thing, blah blah you can find ways to explain this away.
Farmer1906
AG
Champ Bailey said:

Jim01 said:

Not sure it's been commented on, but did anyone else notice that on the final scene, when the boy walks out to sweep, he reaches for the broom but didn't seem to grab it, rather it floated the last few inches to him?

Yes. I hated it. Unless they are going to introduce a completely new Jedi Master in 9, it makes zero sense how an orphan boy has that much casual control over the force.

Speaking of which, I guess they have set up the plot where Leia will be teaching Rey how to control the force in the next one?
I think they were just showing the Jedi would live on. There is more hope for the future of the galaxy.

Why would Leia teach anyone? She's shown once showing real power with the force and it was more like an instinct to survive than anything else. Add in the fact that Carrie passed and I cannot see that happening.
Ark03
AG
It sounds like I'm hearing a theme in this thread that many of us didn't see the Luke we wanted to see, but I guess I have a bit of a contrarian view.

I feel Luke's story was true to what I see as the purest Star Wars canon: ie the original trilogy. If you wanted to see the epic lightsaber battle, then you're asking for Yoda versus Count Dooku in Attack of the clones. That was fun in the moment, but a bit ridiculous in hindsight.

Instead, we have a nice parallel with the original trilogy, which was the most powerful Jedi living in seclusion on a lost planet. He reluctantly trains Rey (a bit accelerated, but whatever), then Rey leaves in a huff to go save the world. Much like Empire Strikes Back/Return of the Jedi where Yoda is no longer in the world, Luke has a massive influence on Rey's path from his little island, then we see a twist in which he influences events across the galaxy, showing a power we could not have imagined.

Sure, he could have come flying back to the rescue like Yoda in attack of the Clones, but that would have been disingenuous and pretty cheap; and most important to me, it would have felt like the prequels rather than the original Star Wars.

I'm sorry that the movie didn't play out to every ridiculous fantasy we could have imagined, but I think it would have been a cheap thrill, out of sync with what we love about Star Wars (unless you love the prequels, then more power to you). I think what we got feels more like the Star Wars of my youth, and I believe it will stand up better over time.

... but I could have done without the flying Leia.
Specialized
AG
Overall all I enjoyed the movie. I thought the first half was uneven, and the second half was a lot better.

SO...... can we all agree that the Canto Bight part of the story was pretty pointless and a plot circle that could have been totally excised from the movie without changing much of anything else around it?

Nitpicky things I didn't like:

Bombs don't drop in space
Leia flight scene/the fact that she entered a space ship without an airlock
The final scene with sweeper boy was kind of lame

There might have been some more, but those are all i can remember now. The whole Canto thing was just bad writing.

I thought the throne room scene was pretty bad ass and was happy that Kylo's move was just a power grab and not him turning.

Flashdiaz
AG
WES2006AG said:

Am I the only one who believe that Kylo lied to Rey about her parents? I just don't believe that she comes from nobodies.
Kylo did use this to try and manipulate her.

While some may see Kylo as a moody teen type, he's a good character imo. He's obviously not a lightsaber badass (Finn got to him once, Rey beat him, he kills old people with his lightsaber)
he kills his enemy by tricking them and doing the surprise ignite. So his power is more mental and manipulative than saber mastery.
bobinator
AG
The movie really felt to me like a bad prequel-style movie (everything on Canto Bight) stuffed into a completely different flawed, but overall pretty good, Star Wars movie. Like I still would have had some issues with it, but it was pretty good.

But Jesus that Canto Bight stuff was bad.

Also, I don't know if one word in a movie has ever taken me out of the moment more than "Godspeed."
Jim01
AG
Exactly. Simple as they were on a belt system that fed them out the ship, and since it's space they just continue on that path. It's not that they were "falling" just continuing on their path in space until they hit resistance.
AGGies0311
Explain how Rose's sister and Leia survived that long in exposed to space.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Specialized said:

SO...... can we all agree that the Canto Bight part of the story was pretty pointless and a plot circle that could have been totally excised from the movie without changing much of anything else around it?
Yes, yes we can.
bobinator
AG
Rose's sister really didn't survive all that long, and Leia has the force.
Jim01
AG
Huh? I can't my post has nothing to so with Leia in space. I agree that was the most ridiculous part of the movie.

My post was explaining the physics of the bombs.
jr15aggie
AG
Quote:

Sure, he could have come flying back to the rescue like Yoda in attack of the Clones, but that would have been disingenuous and pretty cheap; and most important to me, it would have felt like the prequels rather than the original Star Wars.
Last thing I'll say about it then I'll shut up... I think a lot of us agree. We didn't want or need Luke on that planet and the Force projection was pretty awesome. I was mad at him going out Yoda style moments later though. We finally, FINALLY, got the Luke we'd been waiting for and he was like, "peace I'm outta here!".

Bummer man!

But despite my self admitted "i'm just gonna vent" posts, I said from my first post that I liked the movie. I'm also acknowledging others that have said "I liked it so much better the 2nd time". I'm going tonight with the wife and kids and I'm sure I'll really enjoy myself.
tjack16
AG
Questions they need to answer in IX in order for me personally to feel satisfied

1. Who and where are the "handful of" students that Ben took with him after the destruction of the Jedi temple. They could be the Knights of Ren.
2. Who are the Knights of Ren
3. Who was Snoke.
4. What is to come of the Jedi order? is it gone? I lean towards it will just be force sensitive people that are not aligned to dark or light.

Also on a seperate note... why did Luke's lightsaber turn from green to blue again? It was green until his "force projection" against Kylo
twilly
AG
bobinator said:

VanZandt92 said:

Yeah, things like this don't bother me. Maybe they use some sort of tension system to push the bombs out of the ship, maybe it's some sort of magnetic field thing, blah blah you can find ways to explain this away.
Just like explosions and noise in space....
AGGies0311
Gotcha... Im also wondering how they survived in space too.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Jim01 said:

Huh? I can't my post has nothing to so with Leia in space. I agree that was the most ridiculous part of the movie.

My post was explaining the physics of the bombs.

The bombs I'm ok with. I don't get how a laser from Snokes artillery guns shot lasers out in an arced curvature. Especially in a zero gravity environment.
jabberwalkie09
AG
AGGies0311 said:

Explain how Rose's sister and Leia survived that long in exposed to space.

But I'll take it. What are you, the new Redstone?
AGGies0311
I don't get the reference.
bobinator
AG
tjholley17 said:

Questions they need to answer in IX in order for me personally to feel satisfied

1. Who and where are the "handful of" students that Ben took with him after the destruction of the Jedi temple. They could be the Knights of Ren.
2. Who are the Knights of Ren
3. Who was Snoke.
4. What is to come of the Jedi order? is it gone? I lean towards it will just be force sensitive people that are not aligned to dark or light.

Also on a seperate note... why did Luke's lightsaber turn from green to blue again? It was green until his "force projection" against Kylo
They did say they were sending for help to all reaches of the galaxy. I think perhaps some of those other apprentices might show up.

But the movie starts with Luke as the last Jedi, and now Rey is the last Jedi. Or at least the last hope of the Jedi, and she's going to try and raise up more.

The lightsaber thing is something else we were debating last night. It didn't make any sense to me either for Luke to force project the lightsaber that both he and Kylo knew Ray took with her. In fact, Kylo could have recognized it to see that what Luke was doing was a trick since he just stared at the actual one for a long time and eventually broke it apart.
Ag Since 83
AG
I'm listening to the Collider spoiler review right now. They seem pretty willing to call out the stuff that didn't work for them, and it's the stuff you would imagine. Disagreement about how much the humor worked, space Leia, etc. Just got to the Canto Bight part and it sounds like it'll be an honest hatefest.
TCTTS
AG
After sleeping on it I just can't shake the feeling that this simply isn't a good movie. I didn't dislike it, but it did next to nothing for me. More than anything I'm genuinely surprised to see how many people here feel the same. I cannot think of a single blockbuster that the critics loved but the fans didn't, quite like what's starting to become apparent not only here, but across the web as well. Man, what a fascinating twist.
Living Legend
AG
WES2006AG said:

Am I the only one who believe that Kylo lied to Rey about her parents? I just don't believe that she comes from nobodies.
She knew who here parents were. Kylo pushed her to accept it
DanHo2010
AG
I won't have time to say everything I think about this movie until the weekend. But I will say that I thought this movie was clearly better than TFA in pacing, writing, and execution. Not perfect, but a definite step forward in quality. A couple of scenes were too 'Hollywood', and a couple more should have been rewritten that were trying too hard to be funny or poignant. I do like how this trilogy now has a central question, 'what does it mean to be somebody?'

The other thing I'll say right now is that many of the criticisms being leveled at this movie are also valid for the original trilogy. Building up a villain just to kill him off quickly? That's how the Emperor was in the OT. We got about the same amount of combined screen time with Snoke in these two movies as with Palpatine in 5 and 6, and equal lack of explanation. Minimal Force training before being sent off to fight the main bad guy? That was Luke in ESB. Luke not having a big lightsaber duel where he wrecks shop? The lightsaber duels in the OT were garbage, from an action perspective. I feel like a lot of yall are letting the more action-packed prequel trilogy color your impressions of this trilogy whether you realize it or not.
DB Coach
AG
Not much has been said of Yoda destroying the tree and the ancient Jedi texts...isn't this an indication that he agreed with Luke that the Jedi Order should be gone, in the sense of how they lived it out? A realization that there's more to it than just Good v. Evil?
Saxsoon
AG
Listening to the /filmcast review and they touched on a brilliant point with the boy at the end and Rey being a nobody. You see Luke in the OT who is a nobody who becomes a somebody and everyone believes growing up they could be that somebody. But then you realize Luke is the son of Vader and the prequel trilogy lays Vader as the chosen one. Suddenly none of us can become that somebody without being of the special elite. Rey and the force boy get us back to that first movie where anyone of us can dream of being that somebody.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.