*** SW: The Last Jedi - FULL SPOILERS BE IN HERE ***

322,420 Views | 3129 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Definitely Not A Cop
Definitely Not A Cop
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Oh I forgot to add, Benicio Del Toro's character. Well acted, completely unbelievable. There is only one man in the galaxy that can break the codes for the First Order, and we lost him. But oh wait, apparently there is two, and he happens to be locked in the same jail cell as the two people looking for the best code breaker in the world. The only way it could have been believable to me was that the First Order planted him there to get Finn and whatever her name was on the Snoke's ship.
Flashdiaz
AG
hmmm.

I liked how this movie attempted to address past questions but fell flat of delivering answers:
- Snoke is grilling into Kylo saying 'how could she best him with a lightsaber when it was her first time picking one up' which is a valid thought many had. But it didn't get answered. She's not related to anyone force special so that was the first time she had a lightsaber, or used the force. I guess I was expecting more. My fault I suppose but the concerns in TFA are validated.

- Luke's thought process on how the Jedi were arrogant in their use of the force, which is a valid thought. But then what, he goes from not teaching her to saying she's the last Jedi.... how is he going to teach her without her following the same path?

I also didn't get Snoke saying that he thought Luke was the light to Kylo's dark, but turns out it was Rey. Didn't think the balance was literal in number of people. maybe I misunderstood it.

Although I have no idea where |X will go since Kylo is now the main bad guy and quite honestly, not that menacing. His lightsaber skills against someone with a lightsaber are not good.

the glimmer of 'hope' for IX is JJ won't have to shoehorn in OT characters that have expectations attached to them, it's really a clean slate to go where there are no real expectations of the characters.

My 7yr old (huge Star Wars fan who I am taking on Saturday), asked me how it was, I said "Good". He looks at me and says "how come you didn't say it was awesome?"
Jim01
AG
Am I the only one who thought Del Toro was the master code breaker? That Theroux was misdirection and Del Toro was the right guy? Speaking of Del Toro I am not a big fan of named actors in these movies. It takes me out of it a bit, like "oh! There's Laura Dern!" I like up and comers like Ruiz Ahmed and people like that being cast better.

After sleeping on it I still feel pretty meh. Liked it but didn't loved it.

TFA I still love. It looked great and got everything emotionally perfect. Those were the two biggest flaws of TLJ. Looked too clean and CG and emotion fell flat. Still fun though.

My thoughts going forward and that I am pumped that JJ is doing the next one. Like I said he got it visually and emotionally right and I still love TFA. And I'm not too excited for Rian helming anything else.
Raptor
AG
I enjoyed it and enjoyed the people in costumes. Movie tickets and concessions a re freaking insane, but the movie was worthy of the hype.

Liked the fight scenes, except for Rey and Ben fighting off the Royal Guard like a dance routine.

This post is for Cretaceous Level Subscribers only.

Ark03
AG
AggieChemist said:

We have never seen Leia be a force user. That's my issue.

Flashdiaz
AG
Ark03 said:

AggieChemist said:

one thing this movie (and TFA) have established is you don't need training to use the force.
Leia uses it to survive in Space
Rey uses it to force pull, jedi mind trick and defeat a Sith with a lightsaber
Kid uses it to get things like a broom.

all without any special training.
agracer
AG
Admiral Haldo was an extremely weak character. Why not just tell her LEADING PILOT that the plan was to use cloaking and the old base to hide. Any good leader tells his subs. what is going on.

And the Rose/Finn dynamic..please tell me that's not going anywhere.

Otherwise I enjoyed the movie. Still think ESB is the best of them all.
AggieChemist
AG
Jim01 said:

Am I the only one who thought Del Toro was the master code breaker? That Theroux was misdirection and Del Toro was the right guy?
That was my take.
AggieChemist
AG
Ark03 said:

AggieChemist said:

All we've ever seen was that she's force "sensitive" with the feels.

To go from zero to Mary Poppins was stupid.
jr15aggie
AG
I'm sorta pissed at all the early reviews now... I feel duped by a bunch of nobodies that have seen too many movies and don't really care for the Star Wars characters (Luke in particular) the way us fans do.

It's almost as if the reviewers were applauding boldness knowing the fans would hate it! Well screw you guys! It's not art, it's entertainment. And there was one bit if entertainment we wanted from this new trilogy... Luke... And both directors saw it their duty to try and prove they could do it without him. I'm so sick of Hollywood pulling this crap. Get over yourself and your smug ambitions, this was so simple and you went and over thought the entire thing!

TCTTS had a great line... Something to the effect of this new trilogy is exactly like Luke's projection, something that could have been but ultimately vanished!

I'll say again I didn't hate the movie. I'm seeing again tonight and looking forward to it. There was a lot to like here. But I'm probably forever pissed how JJ and Rian discarded Luke. Like really pissed!!!
4th and Inches
AG
Yeah Mary Poppins Leia was really crappy. but all in al good movie.

AGGies0311
When Luke threw his lightsaber over his shoulder I knew this movie was going to let me down.

Leia using the force??? Really... then how did you survive the vacuum of space??

Carpet bombing in zero gravity????

Kylo is still a whinny little sissy.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
AggieChemist said:

Jim01 said:

Am I the only one who thought Del Toro was the master code breaker? That Theroux was misdirection and Del Toro was the right guy?
That was my take.

Oh well maybe I'm just an idiot then.

How much more badass would it have been if Ackbar had been alive and the one piloting the cruiser to drive it through Snokes ship. The second before he does it, Hux realizes and yells, "It's a trap!"

Oh and has their been another SW movie indicating that the cannons on an Imperial Destroyer shoot lasers that are affected by gravity... in space?
Ag Since 83
AG
I really hope the Force never decides to connect Rey and Kylo while she and Poe are ****ing
AGGies0311
Poe and Finn are going to be a couple
wangus12
AG
Having slept on it.

Things I liked:

• Kylo/Rey interactions as well as their fight scene with the imperial guard
  • The light-speed suicide run. That was just fantastic
  • Ren taking out Snoke and taking over. Also force choking Hux when he talked back to him.
  • Chewie piloting the Falcon like a badass
  • Rey is a nobody and the mirror scene
  • Luke's internal conflict and coming to terms with failure. I wouldn't say that he created Kylo because it sounds like Snoke already had his hands on him, but he definitely pushed him over the edge.
  • His entire scene with Leia and the Force projection
  • The opening sequence with Poe prank-calling Hux and then him and BB-8 taking out the guns
  • BB-8 piloting the chicken walker
  • Master Yoda
  • Liked the old rusted out speeders cutting red lines in the dirt
  • Finn/Rose escape on the Hyena horses and I thought Canto Bight was alright. Shows a little different part of the galaxy which is something we are always asking for. I know they are trying to give Finn (who is constantly looking for an out) as solid reason to really stay and fight for the Resistance. Rose definitely helps to give him that reason via her dedication and belief in the fight. (Not that she loves him. That was corny)
  • Porgs
  • Luke's ending with a binary sunset. I just wish they would have saved it till Episode IX.
Things I didn't like:

• Luke not getting a better chance to show off his power. The Force projection was cool and well done, but at least let him wipe the field via the Force.
  • Like someone said earlier, we never get an actual scene where Luke, Leia and Han were physically all together. Chewie and the Falcon better be watching his back.
  • I don't mind the Rose/Finn story line, but I don't understand why they have to make characters who've known each other for less than a day can love each other. That's not how it typically works.
  • Leia's superman impression was pretty dumb. There were better ways to show she could sometimes use the Force.
  • Admiral Akbar deserved Holdo's spot. Sure it puts him and Poe at odds, but that ending was fitting for a legend, which she wasn't.
  • Also didn't understand why she wouldn't tell anyone the plan. Makes no sense to keep it from everyone. People are naturally going to start panicking when they are cornered, friends are dying and there was 0% exit strategy.

Right now. It is sitting at a solid B+ for me. A really fun movie. Going to see it again this afternoon and it sounds like it gets better with multiple watches.
YellowPot_97
AG
jr15aggie said:

And there was one bit if entertainment we wanted from this new trilogy... Luke... And both directors saw it their duty to try and prove they could do it without him. I'm so sick of Hollywood pulling this crap. Get over yourself and your smug ambitions, this was so simple and you went and over thought the entire thing

You should really take your own advice.

A trilogy about Luke is what you wanted. But this story was never going to be about him. It's about Kylo Rey Poe and Fin. The OT characters are supporting pieces to the real story. No need to be pissed for it not being the story it was never going to be. Any "short comins" are your own, for building up something that was never there.
agracer
AG
Oh, and how in hell does the First Order have any money to buy ... ANYTHING at this point? Arms dealers want cash for their goods. Their credit rating has got to be worse than Greece at this point.

We don't need any HUGE ships, bases, whatever anymore. I hope that goes away going forward. The Super Star Destroyers were enough.

And this can't be said enough, Rose needs to be dead, or should have died. Rose/Finn will be a terrible story arc.
Jim01
AG
People questioning Rey's ability to use a light saber "all of a sudden", I feel like it was well established in TFA and this movie that she was already a more than capable fighter with her staff. I feel like her fighting is believable because she was already a bad ass with the staff and now with the added edge of the Force she easily picks up the saber. She definitely came into the force a more capable fighter than Luke started out in ANH.

As for Snokes guards in red... a couple people have referred to them as Sith. I took them just to be high level guards, not Sith. Aren't Sith Jedi? And "there are always two, a master (Snoke) and apprentice (Kyle)"?

Lastly one small thing I thought corny was how those guards went from standing still to all snapping into actions stance by busting out a couple random karate looking moves. Reminded me of Power Rangers in a corny way.
bobinator
AG
There's things I didn't like on a Star Wars level (like Phasma and Snoke were both basically trash characters), but there are also things I didn't like from a movie mechanics standpoint.

If flying a ship at lightspeed into the enemy fleet can destroy like half their ships, why isn't that like the whole plan, all the time? Just fix up a bunch of empty freighters for exactly that purpose. That was the most effective non-spherical-baddie-ship weapon we've ever seen in the Star Wars universe.

I really thought when there was that rumbling and Rose was like "is that what I think it is" and they showed a track that we were about to get a pod racing cameo. I can't decide if I'd have thought that was funny or if I would have hated it.

Farmer1906
AG
wangus12 said:

Having slept on it.

Things I liked:

• Kylo/Rey interactions as well as their fight scene with the imperial guard
  • The light-speed suicide run. That was just fantastic
  • Ren taking out Snoke and taking over. Also force choking Hux when he talked back to him.
  • Chewie piloting the Falcon like a badass
  • Rey is a nobody and the mirror scene
  • Luke's internal conflict and coming to terms with failure. I wouldn't say that he created Kylo because it sounds like Snoke already had his hands on him, but he definitely pushed him over the edge.
  • His entire scene with Leia and the Force projection
  • The opening sequence with Poe prank-calling Hux and then him and BB-8 taking out the guns
  • BB-8 piloting the chicken walker
  • Master Yoda
  • Liked the old rusted out speeders cutting red lines in the dirt
  • Finn/Rose escape on the Hyena horses and I thought Canto Bight was alright. Shows a little different part of the galaxy which is something we are always asking for. I know they are trying to give Finn (who is constantly looking for an out) as solid reason to really stay and fight for the Resistance. Rose definitely helps to give him that reason via her dedication and belief in the fight. (Not that she loves him. That was corny)
  • Porgs
  • Luke's ending with a binary sunset. I just wish they would have saved it till Episode IX.
Things I didn't like:

• Luke not getting a better chance to show off his power. The Force projection was cool and well done, but at least let him wipe the field via the Force.
  • Like someone said earlier, we never get an actual scene where Luke, Leia and Han were physically all together. Chewie and the Falcon better be watching his back.
  • I don't mind the Rose/Finn story line, but I don't understand why they have to make characters who've known each other for less than a day can love each other. That's not how it typically works.
  • Leia's superman impression was pretty dumb. There were better ways to show she could sometimes use the Force.
  • Admiral Akbar deserved Holdo's spot. Sure it puts him and Poe at odds, but that ending was fitting for a legend, which she wasn't.
  • Also didn't understand why she wouldn't tell anyone the plan. Makes no sense to keep it from everyone. People are naturally going to start panicking when they are cornered, friends are dying and there was 0% exit strategy.

Right now. It is sitting at a solid B+ for me. A really fun movie. Going to see it again this afternoon and it sounds like it gets better with multiple watches.
This is pretty much how I feel, but I probably give more weight to the twists. Is Rey turning Kylo? Is Kylo turning Rey? Holy **** Snoke got sliced in two!

And I think they redeemed Yoda in a big way. The prequels made him completely different. This brought back the quirky little green wise man back to what we loved in Empire.

Poe's growth into a leader was a fun arc. I really enjoy his character.
AustinAg2K
Champ Bailey said:

AggieChemist said:

Jim01 said:

That was my take.

Oh well maybe I'm just an idiot then.

How much more badass would it have been if Ackbar had been alive and the one piloting the cruiser to drive it through Snokes ship. The second before he does it, Hux realizes and yells, "It's a trap!"

I was going to post the same thing. I can understand adding a new character for the kamikaze run if you're going to let Ackbar live, or have him die in some other heroic way. He's one of the most beloved side characters in the SW universe. To have him die in such a non descript manor, when you've got the perfect opportunity to let him go out like a boss is an insult to the fans. I understand wanting to separate this trilogy from the original, but why add a brand new character just to kill off when you've got a fan favorite who can do the same job right there.
AGGies0311
I could have done without Luke milking that sea creature
bobinator
AG
That's another example of a mechanics problem I have. She said she had to stay behind to pilot the ship to help cover their escape, but she didn't do that at all. She was just staring out the window watching them get blown up for a significant amount of time before she had a eureka moment and decided to kamikaze the first order.
bobinator
AG
Another mechanics question I have is what was the deal with those dice? So Luke force projected a pair of dice, handed them over to Leia who was able to hold them, then Leia dropped them on the floor for Kylo to find, meanwhile Luke is holding this dice force projection the entire time?
jr15aggie
AG
YellowPot_97 said:

jr15aggie said:

And there was one bit if entertainment we wanted from this new trilogy... Luke... And both directors saw it their duty to try and prove they could do it without him. I'm so sick of Hollywood pulling this crap. Get over yourself and your smug ambitions, this was so simple and you went and over thought the entire thing

A trilogy about Luke is what you wanted. But this story was never going to be about him. It's about Kylo Rey Poe and Fin. The OT characters are supporting pieces to the real story. No need to be pissed for it not being the story it was never going to be. Any "short comins" are your own, for building up something that was never there.

First of all... stop making this so personal by calling out others who feel differently than you. No reason to make this thread a hostile place. If people want to vent then just let them. Simply state how you feel differently and leave it at that.

And for the record, no, I didn't want a Luke Trilogy. I thought it was smart to leave him mostly out of Force Awakens. But there had to be a payoff for the fans waiting and this wasn't it. The Force projection of him was fine and awesome, right up to the point when he disappeared and we realized that was all we'd ever get. I loved the arc between him and Ben and how it was his failure and moment of fear that finally turned Ben. Great stuff! I never wanted to see God Mode Luke.

Our opinions are valid. Some of us were born in the 70's & 80's and this guy was our hero. He was the man. If they wanted to take the "bold" direction and send him off this way then they can put their big boy pants on and take the criticism. Guarantee there are fans all over the world pissed at how they handled Luke.
Ag Since 83
AG
jr15aggie said:

YellowPot_97 said:

jr15aggie said:

First of all... stop making this so personal by calling out others who feel differently than you. No reason to make this thread a hostile place. If people want to vent then just let them. Simply state how you feel differently and leave it at that.

And for the record, no, I didn't want a Luke Trilogy. I thought it was smart to leave him mostly out of Force Awakens. But there had to be a payoff for the fans waiting and this wasn't it. The Force projection of him was fine and awesome, right up to the point when he disappeared and we realized that was all we'd ever get. I loved the arc between him and Ben and how it was his failure and moment of fear that finally turned Ben. Great stuff! I never wanted to see God Mode Luke.

Our opinions are valid. Some of us were born in the 70's & 80's and this guy was our hero. He was the man. If they wanted to take the "bold" direction and send him off this way then they can put their big boy pants on and take the criticism. Guarantee there are fans all over the world pissed at how they handled Luke.

At this point I don't know what you are saying you wanted. You admit it was an awesome send off. You didn't want to see God Mode Luke. So what's the payoff you didn't get?
bobinator
AG
I don't think we've seen the last of Luke Skywalker's influence on this trilogy. They kind of went out of their way to show a force ghost actually be able to wield the force and affect the living the world.
jr15aggie
AG
bobinator said:

Another mechanics question I have is what was the deal with those dice? So Luke force projected a pair of dice, handed them over to Leia who was able to hold them, then Leia dropped them on the floor for Kylo to find, meanwhile Luke is holding this dice force projection the entire time?

Not sure... but didn't Yoda sorta boink Luke on the head too. So they can have physical interactions while not physically being there?

And speaking of Dice... I've never seen those before. Obviously a Han connection and I can only guess we'll see them in the Solo movie. A way for Disney to connect that movie to this one... cause I've never seen those dice before, at least not close up.
tjack16
AG
Such a great movie

Things I liked/loved:

- Rey/Kylo Ren: incredible acting by both (I know actors in Star Wars don't get nominations at the oscars, but Adam Driver gave a performance that should be looked at by the academy)
- The flashbacks to Luke and Ben Solo... though I wish we could have seen the entire temple destruction scene, it was nice to see a twist on what we thought happened.
- The humor: The scene where Luke tickled Rey's hand with the leaf, I haven't laughed so hard in a star wars movie ever. Also Yoda making fun of the Jedi books "oh read them have you... page turners they are not". The Hux prank call
- surprisingly I liked the Porgs
- Visuals.... this movie was visually stunning. I loved the overhead camera shots, and that light speed scene was AWESOME. I want that shot as my wallpaper. Also that scene with the multiple Rey's was really cool.
- Kylo gaining all of the power was a good twist. I also love the dynamic between him and Hux. They have that sibling rivalry type relationship where they always have to one-up each other.
- Kylo losing the mask was good... after he lost it in Force Awakens, I was hoping it would be gone forever.
- the final scene with the force sensitive orphan was an awesome ending.

Things I didn't like

- Yoda looked bad... they could have done better with that CGI.
- No lightsaber battle (I don't count that force projection Luke/Kylo fight)
- Didn't explain who Snoke was.
- Finn/Rose storyline to me just didn't click.

Overall this was in my top 4 of the 8 Star Wars episodes. I really enjoyed it.
MandoArms
As far as why Admiral Holdo didn't tell anyone else the plan, I figure it is because they didn't know for a fact that the First Order could track at light speed. It is explained as new technology and anyone who has ever been in the military can tell you old hats always assume the problem is something they have seen before.

For all they know they had a mole on the bridge or in the command section. I can see them locking down all plans until they figured out how they were being tracked.
AGGies0311
They used a hand puppet for him.
Living Legend
AG
These "episodes" aren't meant to be standalone movies. In episode IX a lot of the lingering questions/plot holes will be answered.
Jim01
AG
I think Yoda bonked him with a stick. So Yoda didn't directly touch him, but used the force to make another object touch him.

I've never seen the dice before either. Another example of missed emotion, as if we should connect with a random pair of dice that we'd never seen before. Could have made Luke find Han's old vest, or his medal from the end of ANH, anything we might see and connect with Han other than a pair of dice we'd never laid eyes on before.
jr15aggie
AG
Quote:

At this point I don't know what you are saying you wanted. You admit it was an awesome send off. You didn't want to see God Mode Luke. So what's the payoff you didn't get?
I was fine right up to the point where he disappeared. Him looking at the suns was his "I'm back" moment and I was already thinking "Episode IX here we come"... and then he just decided to become one with the Force.

I didn't need to see him kill Kylo, but a physical Luke with his green saber fighting Storm Troopers, maybe the Knights of Ren if we ever see them, etc. would have been great for Episode IX.

I agree with others, we have not seen the last of Luke. He will most definitely be around for IX, just not in the way some of us wanted.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.