Anyone read the Kingkiller Chronicles?

145,437 Views | 1235 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by The Dog Lord
H6RBW
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

Welp, just realized that I'll have to reread the books if the 3rd ever comes out.

Same here. Have no idea the answers to any of those questions, and only half the questions even seemed like they were about a book I'd read before.
Absolute
AG
Boiling Denim said:

If you haven't jumped on the bandwagon yet and read Red Rising by Pierce Brown I would highly recommend you do so now. I blew through the last half of the book Sunday and can't wait for the next two to be delivered.

The book is like an orgy love child of Ender's Game, Battle Royale and Hunger Games.

Had previously tried a sample of this and not bought it. Went back and purchased and jumped in due to this thread. Just finished all three. Very good.

Even if another Kingkiller book never comes out, this has been a worthwhile thread.
MW03
AG
Boiling Denim said:

If you haven't jumped on the bandwagon yet and read Red Rising by Pierce Brown I would highly recommend you do so now. I blew through the last half of the book Sunday and can't wait for the next two to be delivered.

The book is like an orgy love child of Ender's Game, Battle Royale and Hunger Games.
Jumped in thanks to your recommendation and I'm halfway through book 2. I'll say that I've enjoyed this book at least as much if not more than Joe Abercrombie's First Law trilogy. Thanks for the suggestion. I hope it continues to be solid.
Absolute
AG
MW03 said:

Boiling Denim said:

Jumped in thanks to your recommendation and I'm halfway through book 2. I'll say that I've enjoyed this book at least as much if not more than Joe Abercrombie's First Law trilogy. Thanks for the suggestion. I hope it continues to be solid.

It does. I thought number 2 was the weakest of the 3.
W.C. Griffin '09
AG
The Red Rising trilogy is one of my favorite. If movies are made and well done, I picture the Iron Rain as being incredible on screen.

Not sure if that is a spoiler but I didn't want somebody to Google it and ruin that part
MidnightYell2003
AG
Boiling Denim said:

There is a new series coming out this year based in the Red Rising world called Iron Gold.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/29217027-iron-gold
Supposedly in August
bangobango
AG
Reading the first book to The Magicians trilogy and just finished watching the first season from Scyfy.

The tv show is dark.
swimmerbabe11
The tv show tries way way way way too hard to be sexy. The plot was awesome but sometimes it was difficult to get through.
bangobango
AG
swimmerbabe11 said:

The tv show tries way way way way too hard to be sexy. The plot was awesome but sometimes it was difficult to get through.
I thought the first and last episodes were awesome. I felt it really dragged through the middle as they tried to flesh it out with subplots and things that felt like typical manufactured tv BS.

I did not like the threesome towards the end, just kind of eye rolling for me. Kind of out of nowhere and felt like they were just trying to be edgy rather than staying true to the characters.
W.C. Griffin '09
AG
bangobango said:

swimmerbabe11 said:

I thought the first and last episodes were awesome. I felt it really dragged through the middle as they tried to flesh it out with subplots and things that felt like typical manufactured tv BS.

I did not like the threesome towards the end, just kind of eye rolling for me. Kind of out of nowhere and felt like they were just trying to be edgy rather than staying true to the characters.

It's been a while since I read it but I think that is in the book
bangobango
AG
W.C. Griffin '09 said:

bangobango said:

swimmerbabe11 said:

It's been a while since I read it but I think that is in the book

Well, there is some actual setup for it in the book. I haven't finished the book yet, but already Q has had some thoughts that, though eye rolling to me, would indicate he is down for E if opportunity arise.

TV show it seemed to come out of nowhere.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
swimmerbabe11 said:

Yep. We watched it. It was alright, but tried WAY to hard to be "cool" and "sexy"...

I.e. Everyone is smoking cigarettes and there are about 30 awkward moments per episode with sexual tension
Absolute
AG
bangobango said:

Reading the first book to The Magicians trilogy and just finished watching the first season from Scyfy.

The tv show is dark.

Just got done with season 1, based on the talk here. I liked it.

Figure I will give the books a shot.
rononeill
Gawddammt! Tricked me again! Where's the 3rd book!?
bangobango
AG
Just finished Red Rising trilogy based on recommendations from this thread. Loved it. I highly recommend it.

I'm not a big sci-fi guy, either, but I thought this trilogy was great.
AGinHI
AG
It's been what--6 years.

More like interest killer.

I don't even remember the damn story.
Al Bula
AG
AGinHI said:

It's been what--6 years.

Me either. I made it through half the second book but was unmotivated to finish since the third volume was not on the horizon. That was 6 YEARS ago when book two came out. He is trying to out-GRRM GRRM at this point.
M.C. Swag
AG
Sanderson is on track to release Book 3 of his Stormlight Archive this November. In his last update his book is currently getting feedback from beta readers. There's at least 1 working fantasy authors out there!
mpl35
AG
He is too busy with pimping made up games and his worldbuilders charity work. Oh and social justice activism:
"I've collected a good team over the years. They're intelligent, empathetic, good-smelling people. They're socially aware, and politically active. They wouldn't work here if they didn't care about making the world a better place.

And well not to bull**** around. But we're all kind of scared right now. There are things happening the the US and around the world that make us very worried for our country and our people.....

"As I mentioned before, pretty much everyone I know is freaked out right now and feeling some version of, "I have to do something, but what?"

Part of what I'm doing to help is that I reach out to my friends to see how they're doing. I try to console or comfort if I can. I give them someone to talk to. And if they're looking for it, I give some advice.

"I feel like there are a lot of people out there that want do do something. They want to make a difference, but don't know the best way to do that. I feel like there are people out there who want to stay informed, but who are becoming emotionally exhausted by Twitter. People who want to want to be active, who want to help But who aren't sure how. They don't know where to start. Or once they start, they don't know where to go next.

For over a month now, I've been wanting to start a newsletter for people who want to be activists, but could use some help getting started. Or people who *are* activists but want to up their game. People who only have thirty minutes a week to spare, and want to use that time to the best effect. People who want help staying informed without burning out and being overwhelmed."

So he is now starting a Newsletter to encourage political activism for those upset about Trump. Instead of finishing Book 3.
schmendeler
AG
AGinHI said:

It's been what--6 years.

yeah it's almost comical how aloof and unconcerned he seems with doing his actual job. i'll definitely be re-reading the first one when the third comes out. I purposely didn't read the second one.
MW03
AG
Sure seems like he's terrified of finishing the book. It's as though he believes that if he never finishes it, there's never an opportunity for him to disappoint his fans. The reality is that he's just building up the anticipation for it, and now people are going to expect it to be the greatest thing ever since he's taking so long manicuring ever word on every page. So I'm sure that terrifies him even more, and he can go on putting it off.

I also think because he's online so much that he'd be the type to completely re-write a story if someone guessed what he had planned. Wouldn't surprise me either if he lost interest in writing Kvothe's finale if someone has accurately guessed what to make of the people and things in his world.

The only thing that encourages me that he will finish is the fact that he made the deal with Hamilton's Lin Manuel-Miranda to turn it into a show. I can only hope that they will burn through material and he'll be left in GRRM's position trying to push out new material before the show passes him up.

titanmaster_race
he's definitely a pretentious *******, but he has an amazing way with words....when he chooses to write
swimmerbabe11
It built up anticipation for a while, then annoyance, now apathy.

I don't care if he ever finishes the book. I've forgotten most of it. His attitude about finishing his work makes me not want to give him money or recognition. It'll take some pretty rave reviews to get me to restart the series. (which I'd have to at this point)
mpl35
AG
titanmaster_race said:

he's definitely a pretentious *******, but he has an amazing way with words....when he chooses to write
Agreed. If he wrote Book 3 with half the gusto he writes blog posts asking for money for Worldbuilders, it would have been finished 4 years ago.
PatAg
AG
Stop pretending you won't buy and read the book the day it comes out.
mpl35
AG
PatAg said:

Stop pretending you won't buy and read the book the day it comes out.
I certainly will. I still will ***** in the next 4 years it takes him to finish it.
swimmerbabe11
Nope, I have serious beef with writers who pull this kind of crap. It's unacceptable in any other line of work. It wouldn't be so bad if he didn't have such a crap attitude towards his fans about it either.

I'm not giving him the respect of re-reading the whole damn series (probably having to buy the books again) and buying a new copy of the 3rd as well unless every fan I know says it was friggin life changing.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
From his blog on Feb 2:
http://blog.patrickrothfuss.com/
Quote:

Generally speaking, I avoid talking about book three for the simple reason that when I do, a disproportionate number of people start whining at me about how it isn't out yet. Shockingly, that's not something I particularly enjoy. Hence my silence.

The other problem is that I've answered people's questions about book three in the past. Done interviews and written blog posts. And you know what happens? Two days later people ask me the very same questions. The result is that I end up irritated, exasperated, and feeling like the whole thing was a waste of time.

So again. Silence.

Still, people *have* been asking for some time. So I was happy to offer it up as incentive to help Worldbuilders hit $2 million in donations.

But now we have a date for the Q&A: Friday, February 3rd from 3pm to 5pm Central Time, live on my Twitch channel.

(If you head over there now, follow the channel, and set notifications to "on" you'll get an e-mail when my streams go live.)

Quote:

• There is no release date yet.
If there were, I would already have told you. Serious people. Why would I sit on that news?

So yeah. Submit your questions and tune in for the show. I plan on drinking a bunch of coffee beforehand, so it should be a good time.

See you soon,

pat
Looks like we missed a good opportunity
SpreadsheetAg
AG
If you have two hours:

SpreadsheetAg
AG
The Book 3 timing (that he doesn't really talk about a release date) starts at 1:56:42

His excuses:

1. He needs to get his head right
2. He need to break his bad habits and eat better and exercise
3. Hollywood stuff is starting and he wants to be involved with the "proto" versions of any adaptations
4. In last 2 days he's spent 5 hours skyping with illustrator over things like "what does a skrail look like..."
5. 10th anniversary edition before 2019
6. Torment / Luminair: "jesus christ why did Rothduss do that?" ---I wrote the text for that 2 years ago
7. Wish I had it already, I'm sorry that I haven't, but I want it to be amazing
8. Please be aware I am not on a beach eating Ramen off of solid gold plates - I am working, probably WAY more than I should...
9. Paraphrasing 2:03:00:: "Lastly, every creative person he knows is behind on every project they have due to politics in the US being a dumpster fire, and "we are all terrified"... we are SO SORRY world about Trump - alot of us voted for him, but we didn't know, they were misinformed, lied to, or manipulated... all we can do is try to do what's best for the world. When you are constantly terrified the president may be in mid-stage diminish; or might have psychological disorders; or is appointing white supremecists to positions of authority. How can I tell beautiful stories when I am scared about having my children grow up in this world...?? You know?"... "If you want me to write the books faster, help me impeach Trump!" ... "Sorry, didn't mean to get political at the end of my Q&A. Sorry. More Q&A in the future. I am working on Book 3.

:-/
schmendeler
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

The Book 3 timing (that he doesn't really talk about a release date) starts at 1:56:42

His excuses:

3. Hollywood stuff is starting and he wants to be involved with the "proto" versions of any adaptations
4. In last 2 days he's spent 5 hours skyping with illustrator over things like "what does a skrail look like..."
6. Torment / Luminair: "jesus christ why did Rothduss do that?" ---I wrote the text for that 2 years ago
8. Please be aware I am not on a beach eating Ramen off of solid gold plates - I am working, probably WAY more than I should...
9. Paraphrasing 2:03:00:: "Lastly, every creative person he knows is behind on every project they have due to politics in the US being a dumpster fire, and "we are all terrified"... we are SO SORRY world about Trump - alot of us voted for him, but we didn't know, they were misinformed, lied to, or manipulated... all we can do is try to do what's best for the world. When you are constantly terrified the president may be in mid-stage diminish; or might have psychological disorders; or is appointing white supremecists to positions of authority. How can I tell beautiful stories when I am scared about having my children grow up in this world...?? You know?"... "If you want me to write the books faster, help me impeach Trump!" ... "Sorry, didn't mean to get political at the end of my Q&A. Sorry. More Q&A in the future. I am working on Book 3.

I wish number 9 got me out of having to do any work at my job. what a baby.
Deputy Travis Junior
SpreadsheetAg said:

His excuses:

Cliff Notes: I have no idea how to end this series, so I'm putting it off as long as possible while throwing out every semi-plausible excuse I can think of as justification for my procrastination.
Deputy Travis Junior
Seriously though. If he still has no idea when the book's going to be released and won't even commit to a rough estimate, he's at least 1 year away and 2 year away is probably more realistic. Damn.
swimmerbabe11
yeah, if that summary is anywhere close to accurate.
**** that. No desire to read book 3 or give him any money.
There is a reason I have friends who will only read concluded series or books from dead authors.

I'd rather read an okay book that I know will have a conclusion than something amazing from someone who'll be sheisty about finishing. You shouldn't even start a series/release the first of a book unless you have a) work ethic, b) a vague plan for what's going to happen from point a to z, and c) a plan and a deadline that you'll attempt to get even close to.
swimmerbabe11
Also, if an election is impacting your ability to do your job that much, you need to find a new god.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.