Anyone read the Kingkiller Chronicles?

148,680 Views | 1235 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by The Dog Lord
SpreadsheetAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Uhtred would whip all their asses, if "magic" we're prohibited
Hudson2508
AG
Ok, just finished book one of Malazan. I admittedly read this while trying to raise a 1-4 month old so take my lack of understanding with a grain of salt. Does the magic system get easier to understand as the books go on?

I really liked the book and can tell it will be an epic series but I struggled to keep track of all the back story, names and places at all times. I kind of just powered through it. Is there a good companion website to read and follow as I go through the next books?
AgLiving06
SpreadsheetAg said:

Quote:

just finished Book 2. SUPER impressed. really found myself immersed in the world Rothfuss created. I wish i could jump right into book 3
It's been 3 years waiting for me - see OP

It's been so long i'd probably need to reread book 1 and 2 just to remember what I actually liked about the story.

All I seem to remember is the never ending amount of pages of him having sex with a fairy.
AgLiving06
AtlAg05 said:

No kidding on Sanderson, he has a Stormlight novella complete through its first draft and 73% complete on Stormlight 3.

First draft is now 93%
titanmaster_race
AgLiving06 said:

AtlAg05 said:

No kidding on Sanderson, he has a Stormlight novella complete through its first draft and 73% complete on Stormlight 3.

First draft is now 93%

Said he's trying to finish it before he leaves on the arcanum book tour next week.
Hudson2508
AG
He is a machine....so pumped for this. Need to try and reread #2. Not sure if that will happen.
titanmaster_race
Hudson2508 said:

He is a machine....so pumped for this. Need to try and reread #2. Not sure if that will happen.

The audiobook is fantastic,especially if you've already read the book. 48 hours long.
Aggie_Outlaw
AG
Just an FYI. The latest in the Lightbringer series is out. The blood mirror. I started it yesterday and it's been a great series so far. Last book due out in '18.
AgLiving06
Aggie_Outlaw said:

Just an FYI. The latest in the Lightbringer series is out. The blood mirror. I started it yesterday and it's been a great series so far. Last book due out in '18.

I've been hesitant to buy it...It's got very mixed reviews.
maverick2076
I started a reread of the Lightbringer series last week so I'd be fresh when I got to book 4. I'm on book 2 now. I'd forgotten how good this series is.
Aggie_Outlaw
AG
AgLiving06 said:

Aggie_Outlaw said:

Yeah I'm committed though. The first several books have been awesome. I finished Ryan's Raven Shadow series even though I knew book 3 was gonna suck. Had to see it through.
titanmaster_race
Ugh Queen of Fire was so bad.

But at least he published it, probably knowing it was going to suck, instead of delaying indefinitely and not even giving any kind of update like Pat....
AgLiving06
Aggie_Outlaw said:

AgLiving06 said:

Aggie_Outlaw said:

Yeah I'm committed though. The first several books have been awesome. I finished Ryan's Raven Shadow series even though I knew book 3 was gonna suck. Had to see it through.

I hear you. I'm the same. I'll end up buying it. Just not as anxious as I was for the other books.
bangobango
AG
Hudson2508 said:

Ok, just finished book one of Malazan. I admittedly read this while trying to raise a 1-4 month old so take my lack of understanding with a grain of salt. Does the magic system get easier to understand as the books go on?

I really liked the book and can tell it will be an epic series but I struggled to keep track of all the back story, names and places at all times. I kind of just powered through it. Is there a good companion website to read and follow as I go through the next books?

Welcome to Malazan. It all slowly comes together, but emphasis is on slowly. To really appreciate the books you have to go back and reread them. Things in later books make things in the earlier books make a lot more sense. When I reread, i also came across a ton of jokes I missed first time around.
Boiling Denim
AgLiving06 said:

Aggie_Outlaw said:

I just finished it last night. It's odd; I didn't read anything before going into it and after finishing I felt good about it. Not the best in the series but good enough to marathon it in 4 days. I was a little confused because I thought it was the last book but realized that was impossible with 100 pages left. This may have put me into a different mood while reading the book.

Then I went online and started reading discussions/reviews. And a lot of the technical things I didn't catch that reviewers have pointed out in droves have me seriously questioning it now.

After finishing but before going online 7/10
After reading forums and reviews 5/10

bearamedic99
AG
re: Light bringer 4- i was pissed when i realized that it was not the series finale. it's not a bad series and the book was not bad.
bearamedic99
AG
the next Farseer book is due out in May.

Anyone read Melanie Rawn? Not bad but i have been waiting forever for her latest book in the Captal's series.
W.C. Griffin '09
AG
bangobango said:

Hudson2508 said:

Welcome to Malazan. It all slowly comes together, but emphasis is on slowly. To really appreciate the books you have to go back and reread them. Things in later books make things in the earlier books make a lot more sense. When I reread, i also came across a ton of jokes I missed first time around.

I need to reread. If I remember correctly, you never understand the big picture until the last book. I know there is a ton I missed the first time through
schmendeler
AG
great news from Patrick Rothfuss, guys! he's got another fundraiser going. I know this is exactly what everyone has been waiting for to hear from him. he's not let you down!
titanmaster_race
At this point, I've resigned myself to the thought that he will never finish the Kingkiller Chronicle
Prophet00
AG
Interesting news on the movie/tv show front. Miranda seems like he is everywhere, outside of Hamilton. Between TFA and Moana, i have a lot of faith that he'll produce a very good musical score to this series.

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/lin-manuel-miranda-kingkiller-chronicle-lionsgate-1201928784/
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Wait what? Movie and TV series? How will that work?

Also:
Quote:

"Lin is an incomparable talent and a huge fan of the trilogy and, working closely with Pat, his creative oversight of the franchise will bring an incredible level of detail and continuity to all of the projects."
its not a trilogy yet, ****bite - and **** you "Pat"

And **** this Lin-Miranda **** for being associated with "Hamilton" and bringing politics to the center-stage for a musical because #MAGA VP was there.

I may not pay money to see this *****
Dawale
I guess there won't be any white actors in the movie/tv show then.
Prophet00
AG
Sorry, thought that was old news. They're planning a whole universe platform, movies TV and games.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/lionsgate-wins-rights-fantasy-book-828557

wesag
AG
Prophet00 said:

Interesting news on the movie/tv show front. Miranda seems like he is everywhere, outside of Hamilton. Between TFA and Moana, i have a lot of faith that he'll produce a very good musical score to this series.

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/lin-manuel-miranda-kingkiller-chronicle-lionsgate-1201928784/

Yeah man. Because NPR said so.
Prophet00
AG
The guy is pretty talented musically. Don't see why this has to turn into a political argument.
TyHolden
AG
When does book 3 get any action? It's boring the **** out of me. I'm like halfway done and thinking about quitting it.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Prophet00 said:

,Sorry, thought that was old news. They're planning a whole universe platform, movies TV and games.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/lionsgate-wins-rights-fantasy-book-828557

But what's the interface?

Movie to kick it off? Covering just a portion of young Kvothe? Then miniseries like GoT to expand the universe and carry on his tale? I'd rather see it all as tv series
PatAg
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

Wait what? Movie and TV series? How will that work?

Also:
Quote:

"Lin is an incomparable talent and a huge fan of the trilogy and, working closely with Pat, his creative oversight of the franchise will bring an incredible level of detail and continuity to all of the projects."
its not a trilogy yet, ****bite - and **** you "Pat"

And **** this Lin-Miranda **** for being associated with "Hamilton" and bringing politics to the center-stage for a musical because #MAGA VP was there.

I may not pay money to see this *****
I cant tell if you are serious, but I hope not. It's really not difficult at all to separate your political beliefs from ****ing enjoying fiction and music.
maverick2076
SpreadsheetAg said:

Prophet00 said:

,Sorry, thought that was old news. They're planning a whole universe platform, movies TV and games.

But what's the interface?

Movie to kick it off? Covering just a portion of young Kvothe? Then miniseries like GoT to expand the universe and carry on his tale? I'd rather see it all as tv series

Movies cover the books. TV show to expand the universe.
Prophet00
AG
Yeah, I could see them doing a movie to cover the Name of the Wind, then a TV series on Auri, Bast, etc.
Saxsoon
AG
Yeah the TV series is completely different from kvothe apparently to separate the comparisons to game of thrones
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Marsuvees said:

Yeah the TV series is completely different from kvothe apparently to separate the comparisons to game of thrones
Shoot... each book would have to be a Trilogy to capture it all...
H6RBW
AG
Quote:

When does book 3 get any action?

This seems like news.
AtlAg05
AG
I guess I was late to the party on the series, but is it really that popular to warrant movie/TV talks?

I mean GoT I heard about from multiple groups of people but can't say I've heard anyone ask if the new Kingkiller book was out.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.