Anyone read the Kingkiller Chronicles?

150,453 Views | 1253 Replies | Last: 6 hrs ago by The Dog Lord
The Porkchop Express
How long do you want to ignore this user?
At least GGRM mostly just sounds like a massive procrastinator. Rothfuss comes across as a giant D*bag. The irony never escapes me that people told me to start reading Kingkiller while I waited for TWOW to come out. Think that was in 2014.
mpl35
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

Literal quotes
Thanks. Yet another kick in the nuts from that giant ******.
AtlAg05
AG
He might be jealous of the WoT series and wanted some attention back.
rononeill
dammit! got me again!
swimmerbabe11
Did he actually read the prologue at all?
bluefire579
AG
AtlAg05 said:

He might be jealous of the WoT series and wanted some attention back.
A series based on his own works has been in pre-production, passing through numerous hands for years now. If he'd finish the damn book, maybe it would actually get made
SpreadsheetAg
AG
swimmerbabe11 said:

Did he actually read the prologue at all?
It was simply the new take on the silence of 3 parts.
maverick2076
helloimustbegoing said:

At least GGRM mostly just sounds like a massive procrastinator. Rothfuss comes across as a giant D*bag. The irony never escapes me that people told me to start reading Kingkiller while I waited for TWOW to come out. Think that was in 2014.

If you don't think GRRM is a giant ****** bag, read a couple of his blog entries. That'll change your mind real quick.
YouBet
AG
Just to say it again...I still don't understand the fascination with his first book. It was ok. But, man, some people talk about that book as if it was some kind of Fantasy epiphany that changed their lives. I never even read the second one.

Just wanted to contribute. Thanks for having me.
Ulrich
This is why Brandon Sanderson is my favorite current fantasy author. He may not be the greatest ever, but the dude lives to write. He has published the equivalent of 6.5 Lords of the Rings (by word count) and he's still only 46.
The Porkchop Express
YouBet said:

Just to say it again...I still don't understand the fascination with his first book. It was ok. But, man, some people talk about that book as if it was some kind of Fantasy epiphany that changed their lives. I never even read the second one.

Even this worthless post is better than reading another Rothfuss excuse.
YouBet
AG
helloimustbegoing said:

YouBet said:

Even this worthless post is better than reading another Rothfuss excuse.
You are welcome, good sir.
Claude!
YouBet said:

Agreed. I really liked the framing story, but once it got to Not Hogwarts it became Kvothe Potter and the Search for a Likeable Character. Spoiler alert - there aren't any.
YouBet
AG
Claude! said:

YouBet said:

Agreed. I really liked the framing story, but once it got to Not Hogwarts it became Kvothe Potter and the Search for a Likeable Character. Spoiler alert - there aren't any.
It stuck with me so little I recall nothing about it. I think I remember a character that had some kind of tinker's cloak but then I start wondering if I'm conflating that with WoT?

I don't know. It sucked.
AtlAg05
AG
There was a lot of potential/mystery in the first book, which is why it sucked a lot of us in.

Then the second book started to explain it and it wasn't very interesting.
mpl35
AG
Claude! said:

YouBet said:

Don't be ridiculous
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Kvothe abd his buddies are likeable, but Denna or whatever the girls name is .... is the WORST
PatAg
AG
hipsters will always hipster
maverick2076
Ulrich said:

This is why Brandon Sanderson is my favorite current fantasy author. He may not be the greatest ever, but the dude lives to write. He has published the equivalent of 6.5 Lords of the Rings (by word count) and he's still only 46.

By the time he finishes the Stormlight Archives, people will be putting him in the conversation for greatest ever…and Rothfuss still won't have published book 3.
Madmarttigan
AG
This thread is supposed to be less of why Rothfuss is a giant chode at this point and more about new fantasy book recs.

Evan Winters The Burning series has been pretty good for first two books.
Formerly tv1113
maverick2076
I read the first one. It was interesting.
swimmerbabe11
Brandon Sanderson has a confession to share.
bluefire579
AG
At this point, may as well just have Sanderson finish it all. ASoIaF, Kingkiller, Gentlemen *******s, etc.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
bluefire579 said:

At this point, may as well just have Sanderson finish it all. ASoIaF, Kingkiller, Gentlemen *******s, etc.

Seconded
Vince Blake
swimmerbabe11 said:

He really is a lovable guy. When he travels, he will randomly sign books at the airport or local bookstore.
DallasTeleAg
Vince Blake said:

swimmerbabe11 said:

He really is a lovable guy. When he travels, he will randomly sign books at the airport or local bookstore.
I was at a signing of his, and he stayed until near midnight, to make sure everyone in line got a signature. So great to have one of the greatest in the business also be such a great guy.

...unlike the author for which this thread was created...
caleblyn
I need to reread the first two.
maverick2076
Why?
Ulrich
bluefire579 said:

I posited a theory a couple years ago that Sanderson actually has finished Game of Thrones and when they reach out to Sanderson he'll just hand over the manuscript.
DVC2010
AG
Ulrich said:

bluefire579 said:

I posited a theory a couple years ago that Sanderson actually has finished Game of Thrones and when they reach out to Sanderson he'll just hand over the manuscript.

Spoiler for the video above: Thats the "mystery non-Cosmere novel, and he now has 22 months and $23 million in Kickstarter money to work out the rights

schmendeler
AG
swimmerbabe11 said:

He just kicked in the teeth of GRRM and Rothfuss. It's been ten years since they finished a book and he wrote 4 (FOUR) Books in a year or so.
swimmerbabe11
it felt very passive aggressive too. maybe i am reading into it though
SpreadsheetAg
AG
I only watched about 15 min; I didn't feel like it was directed at anyone
heddleston
AG
And those are just the ones he did in secret.
Counterpoint
AG
I've never read any Sanderson and I still enjoyed watching that, for some reason.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.