Anyone read the Kingkiller Chronicles?

145,430 Views | 1235 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by The Dog Lord
mpl35
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
schmendeler said:

I took advantage of the kindle deal today, thanks for that. I'll probably hold off on starting it till the last book comes out, though. Just in case.
It is out. Or do you mean on kindle? I read all 3 straight through and i think most will want to.
schmendeler
AG
I mean the fourth one.
W.C. Griffin '09
AG
schmendeler said:

I mean the fourth one.

Iron Gold is the start of a new trilogy with the same characters but telling a new story several years down the road. Morning Star wraps up the first trilogy nicely. I don't know if that changes your plans for reading them but thought I would offer that up
schmendeler
AG
Good to know. Amazon labeled it the fourth of a four book series.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Sweet I was able to purchase for $1.99 and add Audible narrations for $4.89
Madmarttigan
AG
Hmm somehow I paid 8 or 9 bucks for it but whatever worth it
mpl35
AG
https://www.reddit.com/r/books/comments/4y38hb/red_rising_pop_culture_references_spoilers/

Cultural references hidden in Red Rising trilogy. I'm not sure if anybody else cares, but I found these interesting. I missed a few during my read but had spotted the majority of them. Pierce brown had fun.
jtstanley4621
AG
Just found this thread. I read KKC about 2 years ago, and it was the first series in a while that I really enjoyed from start to finish. Well, not really finish... but from beginning to end of both books that are out.

I guess my issue with everything is thinking about how the second book ended and all the questions it left unanswered, I just wonder if it's even possible for the 3rd book to answer everything. Are we going to actually get real contact with the Chandrian or Kote becoming Kvothe like Bast wants, or any more info on the Cthaeth? It seems like Rothfuss has in a way put TOO much into this series for it all to wrap up neatly in one book, without it being really really long. As such, could there be more books past the 3rd one?

I read on the KKC subreddit a while back a theory floated of the trilogy being the end of Kote's story, and the beginning of Kvothe's revenge against the chandrian I doubt that happens. But honestly, I don't know if I would have the patience to wait for MORE books from Rothfuss, especially with the way he's acted. I kind of just want to finish this series and then wash my hands of him as an author. I mean, look at this thread. Most of y'all are just talking about other book series haha. Which I think is entirely understandable and justified.
M.C. Swag
AG
Welcome to the thread!! It's filled with bitterness and anger! All thanks to 2 well done, but incomplete stories.

Almost everything you've posted has been hashed and re-hashed but was has become almost an absolute certainty is that Rothfuss will be unable to wrap up the story in 1 more book. There's simply too much tale left for it to be done. I mean, it's called the Kingkiller Chronicles and 2k+ pages in, no kings have died. In fact, no one is even aware there IS a king, let alone who it is that is/was supposed to die.
schmendeler
AG
M.C. Swag said:

Welcome to the thread!! It's filled with bitterness and anger! All thanks to 2 well done, but incomplete stories.

Almost everything you've posted has been hashed and re-hashed but was has become almost an absolute certainty is that Rothfuss will be unable to wrap up the story in 1 more book. There's simply too much tale left for it to be done. I mean, it's called the Kingkiller Chronicles and 2k+ pages in, no kings have died. In fact, no one is even aware there IS a king, let alone who it is that is/was supposed to die.
hey, he's too busy agonizing over the current fascist regime he finds himself in to write!
jtstanley4621
AG
M.C. Swag said:

Haha yep. There are so many things that he still has to address. I just wonder if he's realized that he's dug himself too big of a hole and has no solution to making it all work. Since I'm thinking of KKC, here are some of the things I can think of off the top of my head that he's going to have to answer to have a fulfilling end to the trilogy:

Who is Denna's patron, who is the aforementioned king, what does he do to get himself killed, who actually is Bredon, how did Kvothe meet Bast, WTF is gonna happen with the Cthaeth, what happens with Denna, why aren't the chandrian coming to kill all of them for talking about them, what is behind the door in the library?

And I'm sure that I'm forgetting a few major things as well. That's such a long a varied list. There's no denying that he's built a really cool world with interesting lore and secrets, but I just think he's stretched himself too thin with the many different places he has to take the story.
M.C. Swag
AG
Oh the list is alot longer than that! lol I think there's a consolidated reddit post with all the missing plot pieces, the biggest of which that you forgot:

WTF HAPPENED TO KVOTHE?! How did he go from a renowned badass/hero, to some lowly Bartender in the middle of nowhere?
swimmerbabe11
i don't remember any of this except that book 1 was really good and book 2 was mostly about boinking a fairy.
jtstanley4621
AG
M.C. Swag said:

Oh the list is alot longer than that! lol I think there's a consolidated reddit post with all the missing plot pieces, the biggest of which that you forgot:

WTF HAPPENED TO KVOTHE?! How did he go from a renowned badass/hero, to some lowly Bartender in the middle of nowhere?
Haha that too! I do not see how all that goes down in simply one book. And the books were good enough to where if he DOESN'T wrap everything up, it's going to be seen as him falling on his face big time, especially with all the time he's taken writing and editing, etc.
jtstanley4621
AG
swimmerbabe11 said:

i don't remember any of this except that book 1 was really good and book 2 was mostly about boinking a fairy.
Oh god absolutely. He wasted SO much time in book 2 making sure we all realized how much of a sex badass Kvothe became. And then there was that long time in the woods tracking the bandits in the second book as well. He really wasted a lot of valuable page space on those things. Still loved the second book but he's backed himself into a corner now with all the stuff.
ramblin_ag02
AG
I'm still hoping Kvothe the bartender ends up being the world's biggest bullsh*t artist and none of this really ever happened. "This is the story of how I became the world's greatest musician, wizard, lover, and fighter. And now I'm keeping bar in a small far away town perfecting my humility"
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Madmarttigan
AG
Oh forgot to mention that I finished the Red Rising trilogy. Fast but really fun reads.

I would also throw in a recommendation for them. Would definitely be amazing to get some movies out of, but the budget they would have to throw around for the 2nd movie to happen would probably be crazy with the iron rain and the invasion of Mars.

There is also so much constantly happening in the books that I don't think it could fit in 3 movies.

I know there is no date set on peace talks but I started rereading dresden files again. I don't know if I've ever read a series where the books just get better and better like that. I have to stop myself from rushing too fast through them just to get to Changes.
W.C. Griffin '09
AG
Quote:

the budget they would have to throw around for the 2nd movie to happen would probably be crazy with the iron rain and the invasion of Mars.

Big budget = badass movie. Without a big budget, it will turn into something terrible. Honestly, I could see it being a really awesome tv series if HBO were to pick it up. The Iron Rain on screen could be so cool
titanmaster_race
jtstanley4621 said:

Who is Denna's patron, who is the aforementioned king, what does he do to get himself killed, who actually is Bredon, how did Kvothe meet Bast, WTF is gonna happen with the Cthaeth, what happens with Denna, why aren't the chandrian coming to kill all of them for talking about them, what is behind the door in the library?

Answers:
Cinder
Ambrose
Made a bad joke about Kvothe's mom
a Chandrian worshipper
Bast is Kvothe and Felurian's lovechild
Cthaeh turns out to be the biggest troll of all time
She finally realizes how horrible a love interest she is and writes herself out of the story
PLOTHOLE
Some zombie king that will end up being a thin metaphor for the Trump administration
mpl35
AG
W.C. Griffin '09 said:

Quote:

the budget they would have to throw around for the 2nd movie to happen would probably be crazy with the iron rain and the invasion of Mars.

Big budget = badass movie. Without a big budget, it will turn into something terrible. Honestly, I could
see it being a really awesome tv series if HBO were to pick it up. The Iron Rain on screen could be so cool

If they screw it up I can see a starship troopers like movie/series.
bangobango
AG
Here is how Rothfuss will fit everything into book three.

"I started writing and I soon realized there was no way to fit everything that needed to be resolved into just one book and do it the justice it deserves. So, I decided to split the third book up into three books so I could give the story the ending it deserved."

Seen it happen too many times before to not know it's coming.
jtstanley4621
AG
bangobango said:

Here is how Rothfuss will fit everything into book three.

"I started writing and I soon realized there was no way to fit everything that needed to be resolved into just one book and do it the justice it deserves. So, I decided to split the third book up into three books so I could give the story the ending it deserved."

Seen it happen too many times before to not know it's coming.

The last of those three new books will come out in approximately 2083
Hagen95
AG
Exactly.

Quote:

And the peculiar thing is this my friends:
The tale we lived in that fateful story it didn't actually sound
Anything like this story.
This is just the chronicles. You gotta believe it!
AtlAg05
AG
He'll take the movie route and split it into 2 books. I don't think people would let him go for 3. He could easily justify it with readers by saying he wants to finish all the plot lines that they want closure to. So in a way he's really helping us, right? RIGHT?!
jtstanley4621
AG
AtlAg05 said:

He'll take the movie route and split it into 2 books. I don't think people would let him go for 3. He could easily justify it with readers by saying he wants to finish all the plot lines that they want closure to. So in a way he's really helping us, right? RIGHT?!
Haha somehow Rothfuss's delay feels worse than even GRRM's. Maybe if he REALLY got the ball rolling he could release the final hypothetical two books a year or maybe two apart, but it feels like that would not be the case at all. Like I said earlier, I love the series, but I'm going to be fairly glad to wash my hands of Rothfuss after this one ends.
Dawale
Just take a look at his Twitter feed or his blog today and you'll see why book 3 will never be finished.

http://blog.patrickrothfuss.com/2017/04/activism-mailing-list-the-upcoming-elections/

https://twitter.com/PatrickRothfuss
titanmaster_race
He knows book 3 is ****e. Doesn't know how to fix it. Trying to procrastinate and stay in the limelight as much as possible.

Like others have said, I'll read the last book if it ever comes out, and then I'll wash my hands of rothfuss.
PatAg
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

Count Counterpoint said:

tv1113 said:

Just curious when HBO is finally done with GoT what do yall think will be the next big thing with the fantasy genre on a TV or movie screen?

Does Dunk & Egg count as GoT? If not, I think that will be the next big thing.

I am hoping for them to convert Bernard Cornwell's Arthur Series into a show form... that dude can tell a badass re-imagination of common tales. and he puts out some books at a good pace. His historical fiction blend known historical characters with some fictional ones, and generally re-interpret mythical stories into a completely believable and rational "source" tale that you could easily see how people over time would flavor it with added grandeur until the truth of history was embellished to near-unrecognizable story. His "what (probably) really happened" writing is very refreshing - its brutal, its believable, its dark, its raw, ..., there's not alot of happy endings - only somewhat satisfactory outcomes.

I started reading his Warlord Chronicles (AKA Saxon Stories; AKA the Last Kingdom) because I like a good viking tale. BBC has made season 1 of "The Last Kingdom" based on the first book in the series with Uhtred of Bebbanburg...

However, if HBO wanted to pick up a very badass and intricate tale of Arthur the Warlord and Never-king, son of Uther Pendragon:
Quote:

Once upon a time, in a land that was called Britain, these things happened . . . ." well, maybe. The Warlord Trilogy is my attempt to tell the story of Arthur, 'Rex Quondam Rexque Futurus', the Once and Future King, although I doubt he ever was a king. I suspect he was a great warlord of the sixth century. Nennius, who was one of the earliest historians to mention Arthur, calls him the 'dux bellorum' leader of battles or warlord. I have to confess that of all the books I have written these three are my favourites. They have been translated into a score of languages and were best-sellers in a dozen countries.
If they could pour GoT resources into a Warlord Trilogy show with Derfel as the main protagonist and future right-hand-man of Arthur... it would be awesome... because Arthur, for all of his wisdom and ideology is MAJORLY flawed when it comes to Guinevere - and she is rotten to him for the most part... GREAT story that I would suggest to anyone.

I am re-reading Dance of Dragons right now, but as soon as I am done I will be starting The Archer's Tale by Cornwell with Harlequin. I have really enjoyed both of the other series above because of his great description of the close-quarters combat with swords, axes, shield walls, etc. So I am actually a little hesitant and apprehensive about reading about a protagonist / main character with a ranged weapon as his soldier craft... I hope its good.
Lost track of this thread, but just wanted to completely agree with you. I love Cornwell's stuff, they already did the Sharpe's series with Sean Bean back in the day as well.
jenn96
AG
Could not agree more. I love everythibg Cornwell writes and he manages to put out a book a year unlike certain snowflake authors. Somehow he manages to endure and persevere despite the political horrors that surround him. Imagine!
mpl35
AG
Dawale said:

Just take a look at his Twitter feed or his blog today and you'll see why book 3 will never be finished.

http://blog.patrickrothfuss.com/2017/04/activism-mailing-list-the-upcoming-elections/

Just freaking ridiculous. He does everything he can to avoid actually writing book 3.
AtlAg05
AG
mpl35 said:

Dawale said:

Just freaking ridiculous. He does everything he can to avoid actually writing book 3.

He can't screw it up if he doesn't write it!

Maybe he's hoping someone can finish it after he dies.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Quote:

He can't screw it up if he doesn't write it!

Maybe he's hoping someone can finish it after he dies.

We need a new law. Any unfinished, popular scifi/fantasy series gets optioned to Brandon Sanderson or HBO if no new books after 5 years. Prequels, maps, food guides, travel guides, and short stories for compilations don't count.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
bangobango
AG
Hahaha. Yesterday, I tweeted Rothfuss "Remember when you were an actual fantasy author?"

He blocked me.
schmendeler
AG
bangobango said:

Hahaha. Yesterday, I tweeted Rothfuss "Remember when you were an actual fantasy author?"

He blocked me.
oh, he's still writing fantasy. it just has to do with politics now.
jtstanley4621
AG
Even before the political stuff he was still a bit of a ***** to fans.

But now it truly has become something that he's going out of his way to avoid doing. I thought I read a while back that he claimed when he published the first book that he had all three books already written out.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.