Anyone read the Kingkiller Chronicles?

148,039 Views | 1235 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by The Dog Lord
maverick2076
How long do you want to ignore this user?
She should be bitter, and so should everyone else. Rothfuss sold his public on the idea that the entire trilogy was already written, and that the books would be spaced a year apart. Rothfuss is quite literally a fraud.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
There's a great episode of the Shield when Vic Mackey puts two drug dealers fighting for control of the same territory in a giant dumpster over night and locks them in, telling them to settle the problem or else.

In the morning he opens it up, and only one guy comes out; he's killed the other one.

Would like to do the same thing with Rothfuss and GGRM. Lock them in a compound together. Tell them they've got a year to finish their next book. Whoever gets it done first lives.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Is this a microphone headset or does he have a Cheeto puff stuck in his beard?

hunter2012
AG
maverick2076 said:

She should be bitter, and so should everyone else. Rothfuss sold his public on the idea that the entire trilogy was already written, and that the books would be spaced a year apart. Rothfuss is quite literally a fraud.
Why write 2 brilliant fantasy novels and not cross the finish line? He may have lied about the trilogy being finished, but he's had a decade to finish the series and he won't. It's like a front runner in a race intentionally DQing himself right before he crosses the finish line. For the record I have still not read the first two and will refuse to do so until he releases book 3 or hands it off to Sanderson.
AgHawkeye
AG
hunter2012 said:

maverick2076 said:

Why write 2 brilliant fantasy novels and not cross the finish line? He may have lied about the trilogy being finished, but he's had a decade to finish the series and he won't. It's like a front runner in a race intentionally DQing himself right before he crosses the finish line. For the record I have still not read the first two and will refuse to do so until he releases book 3 or hands it off to Sanderson.

Unfortunately I don't see Rothfuss handing it to Sanderson because Sanderson won't spend 50 pages on Kvothe having sex with mythical women.
c-jags
AgHawkeye said:

hunter2012 said:

maverick2076 said:

Unfortunately I don't see Rothfuss handing it to Sanderson because Sanderson won't spend 50 pages on Kvothe having sex with mythical women.
after about 5 pages i just skipped till he escaped the fae and read the wikipedia entry to figure out what happened.
hunter2012
AG
Well Sanderson did write Warbreaker where the Queen spent half the book pulling a "when Harry met Sally".
maverick2076
hunter2012 said:

maverick2076 said:

Well, his excuse for the last 3 years has been that he's too upset to write because Trump got elected. I don't remember what his bull**** excuse was before that.
AtlAg05
AG
hunter2012 said:

maverick2076 said:

After the first bold part I was baffled, then I read the second part and it all made sense.

hunter2012
AG
Well there's only a handful of book series that have a thread in this forum. So unless if the prose are beyond Tolkien grade then I figure there has to be some hook for this series.
Al Bula
AG
The books aren't THAT great. Can't say I've missed them. I read book one 2 or 3 times but never got past middle of book 2.
JJxvi
AG
The first book is a good start. The second is meh.
bearamedic99
AG
I recently discovered a great book called City of Stairs. It's the first in a completed trilogy. Not sure how the remaining two books are.
AtlAg05
AG
Book one was really good, two didn't really leave an impression.
jpb1999
AG
AtlAg05 said:

Book one was really good, two didn't really leave an impression.

Agree, the first book is awesome. Love it. The 2nd book not so much and was a little frustrating. That is why I was HOPING the 3rd book would bring it all home...
Roll the Bones
AG
On a similar note, has anyone heard anything about Scott Lynch ever coming out with The Thorn of Emberlain? The last book came out in 2013 and his webpage hasn't been updated in over a year. Too bad, I thought his characters were hilarious.
DallasTeleAg
I loved both books.

Rothfuss is an ass.
maverick2076
I think the Thorn of Emberlain has a release date at the end of this year. Lynch's struggles with mental health are pretty well-documented, so I give him a pass that I won't give to narcissistic whining blowhards like Rothfuss and Martin.
PatAg
AG
maverick2076 said:

I think the Thorn of Emberlain has a release date at the end of this year. Lynch's struggles with mental health are pretty well-documented, so I give him a pass that I won't give to narcissistic whining blowhards like Rothfuss and Martin.
Thanks, I didnt even realize he was writing more books in that series. I really enjoyed them.
maverick2076
It's planned to be a 7 book series.
Chase McGuire
Just gonna chime in and agree that Rothfuss sucks and the two books he did write were just alright.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
The good news is if he sold the series to HBO, assuming 2 seasons per book:
Season 1-2 great
Season 3-4 good
Season 5-6 TANKED
Madmarttigan
AG
So I was bored to death with book two of Hobbs farseer trilogy.

I tried on Rage of Dragons because amazon linked it to Words of Radiance. It feels a little like Red Rising, but not quite as good. It is pretty good and action packed and definitely a nice change of pace from Hobb.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
I am wrapping up Children of Dune.... damn good series that I never read before
SpreadsheetAg
AG
3rd book non-news:
It's called "Doors of Stone"
He's been working on it some lately

https://www.google.com/amp/s/winteriscoming.net/2021/02/13/patrick-rothfuss-drops-the-doors-of-stone-details-kingkiller/amp/

Apparently there was a TV show in the works, and Lin Manuel Mira da was involved:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.inverse.com/article/59316-kingkiller-chronicle-tv-series-release-date-cast-trailer-lin-manuel-miranda/amp

But it's died on the vine since 2019
GunRangeGal
AG
I got so excited when I saw this bump. *sob*
AtlAg05
AG
Obviously he can work on it now with his biggest distraction out of the way, along with world hunger being solved. He can focus and..... name the book in his already finished series.
Saxsoon
AG
This has to be the saddest thread on this site lol. Every time some one posts it gets everyone's hope up then miraculously shatters them
Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2012
AtlAg05
AG
Saxsoon said:

This has to be the saddest thread on this site lol. Every time some one posts it gets everyone's hope up then miraculously shatters them

I'm sure we can all track a post where we stopped caring, it's turned into a joke now.
Madmarttigan
AG
Well this became a very good thread for fantasy recs at the least.
mpl35
AG
The title has been out for years.
CapCityAg89
AG
Sigh. Meanwhile Sanderson has produced what? Two thousand pages - 2 huge books and a couple smaller.
jenn96
AG
CapCityAg89 said:

Sigh. Meanwhile Sanderson has produced what? Two thousand pages - 2 huge books and a couple smaller.
It's called a work ethic.
Saxsoon
AG
jenn96 said:

CapCityAg89 said:

It's called a work ethic.
Dude is insane. I don't think many authors have his output.
Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2012
DallasTeleAg
CapCityAg89 said:

Sanderson has done MUCH more than that. He has released over 3,000 pages in the main Stormlight series, alone. Sanderson has released the following, since The Wise Man's Fear:

• Words of Radiance
  • Oathbringer
  • Rhythm of War
  • Shadows of Self
  • Bands of Mourning
  • A Memory of Light (WoT Book)
  • Steelheart
  • Firefight
  • Calamity
  • The Rithmatist
  • Skyward
  • Starsight
  • Over (10) novellas and short stories

Hell, Butcher has released (6) Dresden novels since the release of The Wise Man's fear, as well as The Aeronaut's Windlass... and he took a several year hiatus.

Rothfuss is a whiny slob.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.