Anyone read the Kingkiller Chronicles?

149,770 Views | 1250 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by PatAg
W.C. Griffin '09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
quote:
I would love to see some of these series on screen. Mistborn would make a pretty cool tv series. Stormlight would be amazing but it would be quite an undertaking
I think Mistborn would be too confusing as a movie with its complex magic systems, would be better as a Game of Thrones type tv show.

I agree
PatAg
AG
Would love to see Mistborn on HBO, FX, or AMC maybe. They are pretty much the only 3 channels I trust.

I think each book of the stormlight series would need more than one movie, though. I could be wrong.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
I'd let Netflix do their own series... Or even trust BBC
PastrySquirrel
Butcher's Codex Alera almost seems like YA much of the time. The books are fun but somewhat predictable and too many characters are Mary Sueish. Not quite up to the same standard as his Other Series.
mpl35
AG
quote:
Butcher's Codex Alera almost seems like YA much of the time. The books are fun but somewhat predictable and too many characters are Mary Sueish. Not quite up to the same standard as his Other Series.

I somewhat agree. Simple and fun. I don't think they are bad as most YA books though! Nothing complex. They are just on a different scale than the epic series in this thread. I find a quick fun series like codex Alera a good light read that fills the void between larger more complex series.
AgHawkeye
AG
quote:
quote:

I somewhat agree. Simple and fun. I don't think they are bad as most YA books though! Nothing complex. They are just on a different scale than the epic series in this thread. I find a quick fun series like codex Alera a good light read that fills the void between larger more complex series.

Another simple and fun series is Riyria series by Michael Sullivan beginning with Theft of Swords. I enjoy almost all the ones mentioned on this thread and also really liked this. It doesn't take itself too serious but still a good fantasy story.
Aggie_Outlaw
AG
quote:
My series updates:
ASOIAF - Waiting
King killer - waiting
Raven's shadow - what a disappointing finish. Book 1 was so good.
Mist born - finished. Solid series.
Dark tower - finished. I disliked the ending, but good journey.
Stormlight - waiting.
Lightbringer - currently 1/2 way through book 1. I'm liking it so far.

I want to try Abercrombie but I don't think he does audiobook formats.

So, I'm through book 2 of 4 of Week's lightbringer. I've gotta say, I'm surprised it doesn't get more hype here. I think it's better than Mistborn. Book 4 comes out this year sometime.
W.C. Griffin '09
AG
quote:
quote:
My series updates:
ASOIAF - Waiting
King killer - waiting
Raven's shadow - what a disappointing finish. Book 1 was so good.
Mist born - finished. Solid series.
Dark tower - finished. I disliked the ending, but good journey.
Stormlight - waiting.
Lightbringer - currently 1/2 way through book 1. I'm liking it so far.

I want to try Abercrombie but I don't think he does audiobook formats.

So, I'm through book 2 of 4 of Week's lightbringer. I've gotta say, I'm surprised it doesn't get more hype here. I think it's better than Mistborn. Book 4 comes out this year sometime.

I enjoy Lightbringer as well
MW03
AG
Sanderson did a big update over on reddit about Stormlight 3. Pretty cool stuff to see from an author.
AtlAg05
AG
Fun to read a glimpse on how these type of books get written.
maverick2076
Love the Lightbringer series.
Aggie_Outlaw
AG
Finished book 3 of Lightbringer. I really liked it! Can't wait for book 4. I have too many open series. Here's my completed list and how I ranked them. What say you?

1) A Song of Ice and Fire (GRRM)
2) King Killer (Rothfuss)
3) Lightbringer (Weeks)
4) Stormlight (Sanderson)
5) Dark Tower (King)
6) Mistborn (Sanderson)
7) Raven's Shadow (Ryan)

Based on this thread I bet most say I'm too low on Stormlight. But I just liked the series above it better. Sanderson is great, but he's too PG for me. I need some R content to keep me interested.

Next up: The First Law (Abercrombie)
BustUpAChiffarobe
AG
WOW, lightbringer higher than Stormlight or Mistborn? I've gotta read that; I do worry that your list loses credibility by including the Dark Tower; what a shambles that was.
M.C. Swag
AG
Mistborn is open? Thought that was wrapped up fairly well in Book 3. Unless you're referring to Alloy of Law series?
mid90
AG
quote:
Sanderson did a big update over on reddit about Stormlight 3. Pretty cool stuff to see from an author.
Sanderson:

"Here is a detailed update on one of the many books that I am currently writing, a glimpse into my methodical process."

Rothfuss:

"I know I said Doors of Stone was gonna be done like 8 years ago, but you guys I just don't feel like writing right now. I don't want to get burned out, so I'm only gonna write when and how I feel like it. And you are all asshats for being upset with me for the lack of progress and updates."
MW03
AG
quote:
I do worry that your list loses credibility by including the Dark Tower; what a shambles that was.
RedbeardAG
AG
Kind of agree with Dark Tower. I can't fathom why people like that series so much.
MW03
AG
I think it's my favorite series. I know that Eddie Dean is my favorite character. I'd even go so far as to say that books 2, 3, and 4 of that series are among the very best I've ever read in that genre.
BustUpAChiffarobe
AG
quote:
I think it's my favorite series. I know that Eddie Dean is my favorite character. I'd even go so far as to say that books 2, 3, and 4 of that series are among the very best I've ever read in that genre.
Yes, I agree that 2,3,4 were fantastic. Unfortunately; when the vaudeville mobster wearing masks who were mobsters got involved it all went downhill. And when the uber-villain was "erased" I was kind of dumbfounded.
MW03
AG
That being said, I understand why people struggle with it. I personally love the turn that kind of starts in book 5, but I won't say anymore in case someone hopes to read it soon. Maybe I was just in the right stage of life when I read it, but it was (and continues to be) awesome to me. In fact, I just finished the series again for probably the 5th or 6th time, and I still love it as much or more than I ever did.
mpl35
AG
quote:
Finished book 3 of Lightbringer. I really liked it! Can't wait for book 4. I have too many open series. Here's my completed list and how I ranked them. What say you?

3) Lightbringer (Weeks)
5) Dark Tower (King)
6) Mistborn (Sanderson)
7) Raven's Shadow (Ryan)

Based on this thread I bet most say I'm too low on Stormlight. But I just liked the series above it better. Sanderson is great, but he's too PG for me. I need some R content to keep me interested.

I just don't like Martin as 1. Or King on there at all. Martin is too obsessed with sex and killing off his characters. He is like the exact opposite of erikson. Let's find a happy medium on keeping and killing characters.
bangobango
AG
quote:

3) Lightbringer (Weeks)
5) Dark Tower (King)
6) Mistborn (Sanderson)
7) Raven's Shadow (Ryan)

Well, you're reading the right author if you like the R content.

BTW, if you like Lightbringer you should also check out Weeks's Night Angel trilogy.
Aggie_Outlaw
AG
Good comments. I probably shouldn't have included Dark Tower as its so much different than the rest.

I get as frustrated as everyone else about GRRM's writing, but he's number one on this list for me and it isn't close. No one created a world more interesting and his ability to make you first hate then love characters is awesome. Sanderson is great but again it's not edgy enough for me. A violent warring world where there is no vulgarity or sex isn't realistic to me. But I enjoy them regardless. I figured I'd get blasted for not having Stormlight first. ;-).

I've only been reading the genre for a few years now. Really enjoying it and I wonder how I've avoided it until now. This is my favorite thread on TAs.
mpl35
AG
quote:
Good comments. I probably shouldn't have included Dark Tower as its so much different than the rest.

I get as frustrated as everyone else about GRRM's writing, but he's number one on this list for me and it isn't close. No one created a world more interesting and his ability to make you first hate then love characters is awesome. Sanderson is great but again it's not edgy enough for me. A violent warring world where there is no vulgarity or sex isn't realistic to me. But I enjoy them regardless. I figured I'd get blasted for not having Stormlight first. ;-).

I hear you. I like a good mix. Unfortunately you often have either pg bad relationship writing like Jordan or Martin who goes over board the other way imo. I have the incomplete sagas with an asterisk. How they continue can make a huge difference.
Aggie_Outlaw
AG
quote:
quote:

I hear you. I like a good mix. Unfortunately you often have either pg bad relationship writing like Jordan or Martin who goes over board the other way imo. I have the incomplete sagas with an asterisk. How they continue can make a huge difference.

Agreed. And great point. I'd have put Raven's shadow way up the list after book 1. What a waste of a good start.
mid90
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Agreed. And great point. I'd have put Raven's shadow way up the list after book 1. What a waste of a good start.

For real. Ending up being severely disappointed in that story.
M.C. Swag
AG
My own personal Fantasy/Sci-fi rankings (for series I've read):

1) Kingkiller Chronicles
2) Stormlight Archive
3) Gentlemen B@stards
4) ASOIAF
5) Mistborn
5) Shadow Series (Ender's Game)
6) WOOL

Series i started and didn't particularly enjoy:
- Farseer Trilogy
- Codex Alera series
- Outlander
BustUpAChiffarobe
AG
quote:
My own personal Fantasy/Sci-fi rankings (for series I've read):

1) Kingkiller Chronicles
2) Stormlight Archive
3) Gentlemen B@stards
4) ASOIAF
5) Mistborn
5) Shadow Series (Ender's Game)
6) WOOL

Series i started and didn't particularly enjoy:
- Farseer Trilogy
- Codex Alera series
- Outlander

DRESDEENNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!
M.C. Swag
AG
lol i'll check it out. Finishing up the most recent Allow of Law book and then I'll have an open slot.
MW03
AG
Man I love me some Dresden, but I can't consider that series alongside something like Stormlight or Kingkiller. Just too dissimilar.
M.C. Swag
AG
also, may seem kiddy or mainstream or whatever, but Harry Potter was pretty rock steady. Can't say I've enjoyed the conclusion of a series as much as Deathly Hallows. Just sayin.
M.C. Swag
AG
Speaking of wizards, has anyone read The Magicians? Heard mixed reviews but the basic premise sounds intriguing.
Ozmandius
Dresden needs to be included in any list.

Ravens shadow should not be on any series lists imo. It was one good book. If we are talking about singular good fantasy books, then there are plenty of other single book candidates that haven't been mentioned on this thread -- ready player one, gates of fire, etc. (maybe not the best examples of fantasy, but recently reread both and they are great).

Also, reading the expanse series right now. Pretty dang good.
BustUpAChiffarobe
AG
quote:
also, may seem kiddy or mainstream or whatever, but Harry Potter was pretty rock steady. Can't say I've enjoyed the conclusion of a series as much as Deathly Hallows. Just sayin.
Harry Potter was ridiculous; easily better than all of the books mentioned above; kiddy or not. I've never enjoyed a book series so much, and I read them between the time I was 20-22 so I wasn't a teeny bopper at that age.
BustUpAChiffarobe
AG
quote:
lol i'll check it out. Finishing up the most recent Allow of Law book and then I'll have an open slot.
First two books are not great, third and fourth book are good; the rest of them are some of the best books I've ever read.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.